Copyrights?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Copyrights?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Copyrights?

Hello, a serious topic or it maybe not.

I dont know anything really about art copyrights, (will look it up more later). But I like to know infomation about personal/ individual copyrights.

eg. I have an very original design, and post it here, on conceptart. Someone copies it changing very little, and makes monetary profit out of the copy, what can I do to stop that.

Might be a very silly question since art is creative, inspirational etc...

Thank you for taking the time to read, think and write.

leem123.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As an artist posting anything online you really should at least know some copyright law.

As far as someone else stealing something you've done, you can't really do much about it unless you already have it under a copyright. The type of copyright will determine if they're wrong in their doing or not.

Or if you don't have it copy written you'll first have to proven that you've come up with the idea first, then get a good lawyer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless you can prove that the artwork is derivative, there's nothing you can do. (It'll be pretty obvious, there are some examples online.)

If someone jives with an idea, and does it better than you did, deal with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read the art copyright law for my country, and well it doesnt cover ideas or style, but basically "If you can put two works side by side and identify important parts that have been copied, it is likely that you need permission."

Thank you, for your comments.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dam cool site, sue them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Minkie View Post
    As an artist posting anything online you really should at least know some copyright law.

As far as someone else stealing something you've done, you can't really do much about it unless you already have it under a copyright. The type of copyright will determine if they're wrong in their doing or not.

Or if you don't have it copy written you'll first have to proven that you've come up with the idea first, then get a good lawyer.
    Minkie, assuming you are speaking of US law, please take your own advice and research some copyright law before giving out more bogus information.

In the US, when you create something, the minute it is created it is protected under copyright law. You cannnot copyright an idea. Only a created thing can be protected under copyright law.

It gets a good deal more complex from there, but that's the starting point.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 1