Sketchbook: Been a long time since I Rock n' Rolled (updated today)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Been a long time since I Rock n' Rolled (updated today)

Hybrid View

Natzuur-JK is offline Arrrggghhh im a..... ninja? Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Been a long time since I Rock n' Rolled (updated today)

Well I feel it's time I create a sketchbook, I'm 19, love art, and im unhappy with my current progress rate which seems to be at a stand still. So i'm going to try and do sketchs, alot of sketchs, and upload them here as often as I can.

Some of the sketchbooks on here amaze me and I love seeing the progress made, and on a few of them im astounded at the progress in such a short time!!

To start things off here is a 'lil creature sketchticul

Go to last page for new Works... duh?

Edit: sketch moved to 2nd page. Replacing thumbnail. =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Natzuur-JK; February 21st, 2009 at 01:22 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That little guy in your first post is just so damn adorable!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA bro! Fair start to your sketchbook, Id say the strongest piece in here so far is your anatomy studies. Go check out Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy from your local library and draw from it, draw from photos, from life. Just keep drawing and you'll improve. Study perspective too, it's good to build up as much as possible and grow. As you said, enough of the anime crap. Thats right, stay way from anime if you want to draw more realistically. Im not saying that anime is bad, I love anime, watch it all the time, but I dont draw it anymore. Drawing anime, I think, is a phase that most of us go through at a certain point in our lives that's like a gateway drug to other styles of art and drawing. Keep posting, I'll try and give you the best advice and critiques I can when I can.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Envisor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

IanE: thanks, he's only adorable until he casts lv.1 magic on your with his tongue i'll drop by your sketchbook soon.

Envisor: Thanks a ton, your very right I think, and now im more determined then ever to take anime skills and turn them into some real drawing skills. I actually found a sribd(online) version of that anatomy book this morning and tried a few very quick sketches of the hands.

Here is two sketches, sorry about quaility, paper is slightly too large for scanner. The hands were each done in about 30 seconds-4 mins for the larger ones, just trying to get a feel for the lines.

The other stuff took a bit longer, prob 30 mins to fill the whole page.

Freelance/general inquiries @: Natzuur@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working on photoshop skillz a bit today, trying some new techniques for Ice/reflections and messing with glowy magic.

This creature is actually a design for a game project with some friends that went nowhere, but he is pretty much an ice dwelling magic casting creature who uses its tongue to cast magic along with his trusty wand... he stole

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I decided to finish the last guy, he's supposed to be shocking himself with his newfound wand haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thx for stopping by and critiquing my SB. Hum i can't offer and solid critique at this moment, but if you post more i be sure to drop by =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating with some fish anatomy and concepts for a dragonlike sea serpent fish.... thing haha, and a weapon concept using google sketch-up.

In case you were wondering:

The weapon is attached to a persons forearm, and they have a grip they hold on the opposite side (I'll be doing some more angles tomorrow to show you and touching this one up a bit) and use it to stab/jolt at the same time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude. Welcome to CA. Nice progress going here. Keep bringin it dude.

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see linework with lots of potential, and funny ideas (dead fish in its belly)!
    About grayscale sketching: don't fear high contrast!

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheWishfulOne: Thanks for stopping in

Peetaer: Thanks man, will do ^.-

Jasper Flick: Glad you caught the dead fish haha, wasn't sure if it was noticeable enough, thanks for the encouraging words.

I was pretty busy today but i decided i really liked the idea of a underwater dragon, so i started to sketch one out digitally (not very exp in this yet)
    he's gonna be gaurding a chest of glimmering gold down on the bottom of a deep reef, tell me what you think of the sketch so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that weapon is sweet, i love the perspective you have going on there -thums up-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gogreen: thanks!

Alright so ive run into a problem, i think i've got the sea serpent worked out and most of the foreground for this painting, but i have no idea how i should approach the background!!! ahh, i always get stuck with them. Anyway here is the update on the image.

If you have any suggestions as to how to approach the background let me know!!!

Last edited by Natzuur-JK; October 20th, 2008 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of potential here! Great stuff! Keep it up.

Craig Bruyn
    Concept Artist / Toy Designer
    Melbourne Australia

My Sketch Thread

My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get some pictures of underwater reefs and go from there is all I can suggest. Try to get something to match the flow of the foreground.

But more interesting would be to incorporate the background already in the initial sketch. Then you can get some depth going on instead of a flat foreground in front of some distant scenery.

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    humm what i can suggest is that you try to put some of that red somewhere in that painting, maybe from the chest? or maybe put more yellow on the dragon because right now it dosn't look quite look like the dragon belongs there. Also you could darken the boarders (a gradation)of the picture, with a darker blue, to increase the attention on the dragon.

"Remember the object that you want to have the most attention to should have the highest contrast between light and dark"

Pseudocognition is offline The crazy chick who watches you while you sleep. You drool, ya know. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh a brand new sketchbookie You really seem to be trying a little bit of everything, enviros, critters, humans etc, and that's probably one of the best things you can do Gotta agree with Jasper, finding references will definitely smooth the painting process and aid in the learning experience.

I imagine your treasure-chest-fish in an underwater cave, maybe in the deep sea. He could be bioluminescent, and be lighting up the cave with his own body. Deep sea fish are pretty dang evil looking by nature, too. But uh, that's just my imagination going crazy. By all means don't listen to it, lol. Dangerous things may happen o_o

Thank you for commenting on my SB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Redfrog: Thanks for stopping by, will do!

Jasper Flick: Well I did just that, and it helped a boat load, coral-reefs are so varied its amazing, i'm usually so stubborn about ref images but i think they're helping a ton in this one. Thanks, i need to drop by your SB soon!

TheWishfulOne: It's funny you suggested that because I did just that (put some yellow on the dragon and red coral) last night before i went to sleep before you commented, looks like i made a good choice there. I added a bit of darker blue this morning too. Thanks for the insight!!

Pseudocognition I like the way you think, I'm def considering the bioluminescent idea for him, I tried to make him more sinister last night, hope i pulled it off. Thanks for stopping by

I want to thank you all for your comments, they really mean a lot to me!

Alright small update on dragon, maybe if i have time ill finish today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    meh, im done with this painting for now, cant dwell on this forever, new art to be made!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

The painting looks good to me, a bit smudgey in some areas, but very eye catching! and the dragonthing is sweet.

I'm just a spectator, dont mind me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I shouldnt even be posting right now, but sleeping, but damn here is a quickie i just did, bout 15 mins to fill page.

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep those studies coming! that's how you will progress fast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like you're progressing - good stuff.

I'd only suggest to do some studies of how to believably portray distance. Your last painting seems a little flat because the foreground and the background have sort of the same properties (i.e. no noticable tonal/saturation difference... perspective seems off)

Maybe do some environment studies from refernce - and really think about what's happening in your references to make it appear as though there is depth/distance.

But overall - great stuff! Keep goin... but do get some rest in between

RhichardEchols is offline -Is somewhere in my world, ignoring the world around me. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work!

-As a first sketchbookie, I can't really give proper critiques as I am inexperienced.
    -As sinneart suggested, get plenty of sleep, one cannot create art on a sleep-deprived mind... at least i think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ArtBoxGuy: Thanks.

kidult: Yeah, they seem to help a lot! I feel in the past week i've progressed some already. At least learned some new things.

sinneart: Yeah, I totally screwed up the tonal difference, i meant the back to be much more of a gradation from top to bottom, didn't quite pull it off, def gonna do some enviro studies, I live in a state with some of the craziest landscapes in the world. Shouldn't be hard... I hope

RhichardEchols: Thanks, I'll drop your SB soon. I think i have sleeping problems, runs in family haha.

Anyway, I decided that I'm gonna try and do this new COW with the four season, seems like a very cool challenge, and will def put my creativity to the test.

So I started some thumbnail drawings today, for the first time. Really fun, gets the creativity flowing and def helps determine if something is a good idea before going all out.

Sadly.... I like none of the designs so far. So I did some weapon thumbnails instead lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, nice colours, i like it. youve got some imagination with that serpent guarding the treasure chest. also, the cartoon character is great, feel like biting him haha, but work on the anatomy, and it will benefit your proportions on characters in the future. keep em comin

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    l0stinth0ughts: Thanks, yeah I need to work out my proportions better for sure, but i keep on doing studies so i will get it soon I hope

Well I've been busy, but not with alot of art, here is some new enviro quickies tho, I like them, and I plan on doing more, and doing some more detailed ones soon once i get the hang of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been busy again with life, but here is my newest WIP:

Started in google sketch-up, only have free version and no renderer =( Anyway about 25 mins in google sketch-up (only did basic building) and 6 hrs so far in photoshop. I'm really starting to like how its turning out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    getting closer... must.... keep... paint.... ing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, So here is my final version, im pretty sure... maybe. In case your wondering, i used about 3 textures images, and the rest was all photoshop by hand for coloring, about 20 hrs? ( i think) in photoshop, and 30 mins in sketch-up for building model ( very basic).

Also i thought i'd show a bit of my arcylic paintings, sorry for size haha.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.