Hellboy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hellboy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hellboy

Here's a little drawing I did after seeing Hellboy 2 at a friends house and squealing with glee the whole time. Seen as I was too lazy to use any references, his guns a tad small and his hand is probably nothing like what his hand actually looks like, but hey it's my version of Hellboy

There are two main areas I feel I could improve. First is that the neck sits a little strange. Maybe it's just me but it seems a little off. The second is that I'm still trying different ways of shading, so any tips in this area would be appreciated. Anyway, what areas did I mess up? Where could I improve? How would you have done it?

Cheers =)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "You’re right you DO suck, now do something about it"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well. First of all I don't see a reason why you'd show us his hand in such extreme magnification/coming so close to us. This can be used to emphasize a dynamic in the composition and pose but it doesn't really make sense here.
    If he was to "punch the viewer" it would have great effect but like this it's more like huh?
    It's good that you try such things thoug, just think about their purpose.
    In fact there are a few proprtional issues. You have a fairly small head wich makes him look less intimidating and powerful. For the neck I'd get reference since your muscles seem a little skinny and why you in general grasp where they should be attached the form of the muscles and how they attach look wonky.
    Altogether even with a smaller head he'd still be very compact.
    His neck area is very massive in comparison to his chest and torso.
    Also, think about your cropping. It looks like you ran out of paper. in that case it's a good idea to plan your figure and sketch in a rough gesture.
    keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyDumbfounded View Post
    Also, think about your cropping. It looks like you ran out of paper.
    Hehe, I did actually

Thanks very much for the comments, I think you're spot on about all of them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont really know enough about anatomy to help you much with this, but where his right arm meets his shoulder seems a little off.
    i also think his arms and head might be big for his torso, maybe it's too short?
    i'd take another look at his pants too if i was you, the right leg looks like it's headed towards a bell bottom.
    like the left arm and face though, nice expression

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriding View Post
    i dont really know enough about anatomy to help you much with this, but where his right arm meets his shoulder seems a little off.
    Now you mention it, I think the deltoid is a little messed up. I don't think that bit of the deltoid near his pecs is actually supposed to be there

Quote Originally Posted by Redriding View Post
    like the left arm and face though, nice expression
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyDumbfounded View Post
    Well. First of all I don't see a reason why you'd show us his hand in such extreme magnification/coming so close to us. This can be used to emphasize a dynamic in the composition and pose but it doesn't really make sense here.
    Actually I thinkn what we have here is an issue of the actual Hellboy design versus Boolean's attempt to portray Hellboy. See, Hellboy's gauntlet is very very big. VERY big. In the comics, it's bigger than Hellboy's head. But because Boolean's pose is a little on the static side, it looks as if he's trying to foreshorten Hellboy's hand for the viewer. I think this is one reason why Mike Mignola, Hellboy's creator, often shows Hellboy from a variety of angles, so that you can get a sense of the scale of the gauntlet/hand.

Boolean: You mentioned you thought his neck was on a bit weird. I think this is because you have a mostly straight-on pose of Hellboy, but the neck is slid to about a third of the way to the right side of the picture, which would work if Hellboy's body was more angled towards the left side of the picture.

Also exaggerating his shoulders works better if his body tapers at the waist. Hellboy has BROAD BROAD shoulders, exaggerated by a semi-normal sized head. It's like he has the upper arms and legs of a normal guy who lifts weights, the shoulders and torso of a pro wrestler, and a ginormous gauntlet of DOOM! Proportionally, your picture is a little off, as it seems all wrestler-sized with the big gauntlet throwing off the proportions only a little bit. The exaggeration is key.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    she sings from somewhere you can't see ...

CA Sketchbook | My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH! I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that. But then in fact with the outstretched hand the gauntlet would have to be, like, MUCH bigger. ;P
    Apart from that it usually simply is difficult to pull of proper stylisation and skewing proportions when you don't have a solid base in anatomy.
    Eh, anyhow, I assumed Boolean based the rest of the body on the movie.
    In that case, just get proper reference and do some studies. (Bridgman, Loomis)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, huge help guys!

Thanks very much for the feedback. PixelFish, you are correct about the hand, and, well, correct about everything in your post . I'll have to remember all that for next time.

Thanks again gang

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.