Sketchbook: -Updated:9-15 Digital- - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: -Updated:9-15 Digital-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink your traditional stuff is kick'in! that old guy with the hat great job on the face!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ooo! ooo! i have a question!

Ink, Nice work on this thread! I'm a big fan so far. I'm looking at your paintings and noticing that you manage to get your acrylics to act like oils. They look super! How'd you get them so smooth? My acrylics always dry too damn fast! I use retardant but it still doesn't seem to cut it. Any advice?Could it be that I always try to paint acrylic on paper cause i'm too cheap to buy canvas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Replys before yesterdays update

Keepiru Thats what I'm going for. Combining the whimsical and mechanical aspects of line work. It aint easy, but I'm tryin.

DiegoYeah, its still pretty sketchy, but I definetely have to refine that sucker a lot. Sorry I dont have figure stuff right now.

DanHey man, Thx for checking out my stuff and I'd like to hear any crits you can throw my way whenever you get the chance.

PandaIf your grandpa looks like that you gotta show me the pics man! I'd love to draw him.

Cotron,Icey Muchas gracias senores!

IanEThx dude. I'll try and stop by again when I get the chance.

EndreganCool to hear that you're painging now. I know exactly what you mean about the time thing. We regularly have 5 hr. painting classes, and a lot of the times it doesnt seem enough...I dont know how you're doing it with only 2-3. I guess you just gotta wip up those bad boys like morning breakfast!

patternagainstWell, in my term (4th) I'd say I'm in the top 5 and consider myself pretty good, but I compare myself with the upper term guys that just freakin rock and I'm like ohhhh crap. I better be that good in a few terms.

-http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flaptrapsThx. I just gotta keep goin!

squirrelfishingWhat you gotta do for acrylics is keep your palette wet. You get some paper towels and practically soak them, them put some tracing paper ontop so that the wet towels wont suck the paint up. Then you put your paint ontop of the tracing paper and mist it about every 30 min. or so with water so that your palette stays nice and fresh. For the actual paint application, I paint fairly thin in the beginning and block out my darkest shapes first (well, thats with any painting really). Then you just have to keep thinking about the next color/value that you're going to use so that your values match up. It took me a sweet time to learn,but the only way is with practice.
    About the paper thing, I paint on illustration board and not on canvas. Nothing fancy, its just a good surface to paint on. I'll do a small tutorial in acrylics tomorrow for ya explaining how I go about it.

For now, I have a small update of a drawing I did today from the model in my pen&ink class.
    18"x24" About 3.5 hrs.
    -Updated:9-15 Digital-

hand/camera detail
    link

closer shot
    link

legs
    link

head/chest closeup

face closeup

Thats it for now, I'll update with some more tomorrow.
    -ink

Last edited by I.was.ink; March 4th, 2005 at 06:56 PM.
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yummmy mcyum yum. Yeah, your paintings do need work, but whose doesn't. They are still incredible, especially for time alotted, and that you have to patience to work on one for five hours a day? Woo, I get tired and start to trail off into something else about two hours into it. My favorites are the short gestures in pen, definately hot stuff.

HBs are for little girly girls. Be a man, keep it soft.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, and that old guy is great. The lines on his face...beautiful. Nice work.

HBs are for little girly girls. Be a man, keep it soft.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kudos Oskar

Oskar,

Nice work man. I've been looking. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ink - Nice update. I like that drawing a lot. I have a couple questions. What technique did you use to get that flat black on the socks? Also, I like how you drew some of the contour lines on the ear. Helps a lot. It does look like he is missing some shoulders but overall the composition is pretty good! Pen and ink is always fun. Good line quality.

Oh yeah, what is that coming off the guys camera? I figured it was some kidn of contraption but it isn't the flash marks is it?

Put your hands in the air like you got the heat to your back
    and shake your body like a baby born addicted to crack
    And since lifes a gamble like the crabstables at Vegas
    I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    humhum... good update, and thanks for the closeups... but maybe MAYBE just link them? hehe... up to you, I would have clicked on 'em anyways.
    keep on truckin'.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the painting courses is so far unique but definitely I would appreciate it if I had more time to work on it. 2-3 hours just doesnt cut it!! Its like you start getting into a painting after that many hours.... hehe. The real painting will start next year, 2nd year we paint a lot more from figure. Im excited .

The old man with the camera is great! Did you rough in pencil first or is it purely ink for training purposes. Happy mistakes . I like it, nice and loose but I can tell it has great structure underneath the clothes.

Mann you have a pen and ink class....Im jealous !!! haha we should do a student trade for a month )))

K keep her busy ink. I like your more frequent updates. I should think of doing the same .

Later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't reply right now, but here's a w.i.p of something I'm working on. I need to finish it for school tomorrow night, so I'd appreciate any crits or comments. Anything at all that you see needs improvement or changing, please let me know.

sketch/thumbnail

original

flipped

So in the spirit of crit week...let me have it!
    -ink

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey bruddah-
    I have a crit on the color uses... it seems "spotty" right now, the colors aren't harmonized.. the blotch of purple, for example. when introducing a color, you should distribute it to various areas of the compostions... diff. values/saturation, but spreading it around helps to harmonize the composition. i like the grouping of the light blue stuff, it's a good focus. I would punch the values throughout a bit more too, bring in more darks? hope i helped in the least... keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey oscar, your really kicking ass with these last few.

on the digital piece, cant really say much except that the joint between the arm and the shoulder bit, seems like its just welded on or something, so the arm cant move. dunno how important this would be for your class, but maybe fix it so you have a nice movable joint there, or something ^-^

keep it up man,

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ink,
    I'm not sure I'm the guy able to give you good crits but if you ask then I'll try.

First off, I have to admit that I had to look at the sketch you provided in order to simply understand that there's a guy in front of the robot's mouth ! Maybe you should try to find a way to render the fact this robot is really really huge. If I were you I'd desaturate my picture first. Second, I'd look at what the great masters did when they had to deal with that kind story. There's this guy in front of a huge door that looks like a giants mouth, how can I do to let my readers feel the sense of gigantism (shit I'm not sure of my english language here...). I don't feel it here, Ink. Maybe you can tell us what you had in mind exactly when doing this sketch.

btw, the old guy's sketch at the top of the page is brilliant !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 291 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey dood. well first off im not all too sure what he's doing. looks kinda like hes doing a line of cosmic space coke, like in that cheech n chong movie back in the day... but anyway, like cody said the colors feel a bit spotty. honestly the whole thing feels spotty. might i suggest you desaturate and check your values, i guarantee you thats where the spottyness is coming from. also, the composition feels like hes falling over. i know you are trying to get this finished for school tomorrow, but if you want my honest advice, id suggest you go back to the drawing board, and come up with a bit more thought out sketch. i promise you, if the drawing underneath is solid, the painting takes no time at all. its much easier and more cost efficient to think every thing out on paper before stepping to a painting, and it feels to me like in this you are letting the media get the best of you, while kind of losing site to the bigger picture, that the drawing tiself is not working. to allude to an example, this week i was having to do some designs for this one game. i started 2 in photoshop, and loosely sketched out three more on paper. i scanned the sketches, which took all of maybe 20 minutes each, and found it was much easier to quickly paint them out because the drawing was already done for me. also i was much happier with the end result. i later had marko remark to me the exact same thing, that it was much easier to design on paper, so as to get the drawing and design right, than just going in straight digital. in short they cant all be gems. thats the plain and simple truth. thing is, all you need to do is come to the realization that this is just one of 10's of 1000's of pieces you will do in your career. honestly, and i dont mean to sound too harsh, but if i were you, id ignite that fire in that belly of yours, start it over from the ground up, and paint it our quickly and eficiently on top of a solid drawing. good luck. viva la crit week!-c36

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh tight deadline!!! Working the night before woo woo!!

Hmmm yeah coro and living rope pretty much covered it to a higher degree what I was going to say.. hehe . I mean the concept is great!! I like it as a piece for sure. It can be pushed even further !!

Make the little guy stand out more and if you run out of time that would make the piece that much better.

If you do have time maybe change the comp to make the guy in front stand out more!

Peace man

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ok , the one thing i do like is the warm and cool pallet, but it could use more variation in saturation. i think whats bothering me the most is that the work looks rushed, and uncared for. i like the texture that you are getting with the rake brush but you sacrifice the illusion of form when the parallel lines it creates do not follow the contour af the shapes surface.
    your edges are hit or miss all over the place, none of the detail reinforce the form, even the shaddow of the figure is skewed in the wrong direction. i think you need to slow down and think twice and mark once, your quick lines are not gestural or energetic, they just look sloppy, you sketch was not much of a time investment, when it seems to take me longer to type up a crit than i imagianed you spent on the drawing then i question if i sould even crit it at all.

i do really like the old man sketch btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glow effects have always been a problem for me... and you pull them off brilliantly. I see what Andrew means about the rake brush.. it makes it seems more like a flat drawing than something that could jump out of the picture at you, with more flat color than texture and depth.

great stuff!

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!
    Thanks for the harsh crits everyone.
    I LOVE YOUR HONESTY!

I'll go back to the drawing board and see what happens. Thx again for your crits, they have helped me immensely.

-ink

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sok N. Wett
    Total fucking eyecandy, I love it, shit Oscar you rock!!!
    What Sok said.

Hope it's not too late for some crits!!! The blue stuff should be reflecting around his hands, the little guys, and the ground I would imagine. You seem to have that done, but I think a little more would be nice. As for everything else badass paintings and sketches, man. Going to subscribe so I don't forget about you again, haha.

Good luck with the piece for school, you and me workin on the last day, woo! Except mines an acceptance portfolio... the pressure is on!

Ian

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my 2 cents : signal to noise ratio is too high on that image.
    . as android pointed out, your use of brush strokes / patterns kills the illusion instead of bringing more details/texture to the composition. for example, your background/sky seems to 'follow' the silouhette of the robot, thus breaking the sense of depth.
    . the overall lighting is a bit hard to read. i can't figure out a real direction or mood --> use the cast shadows to define the forms and volumes. rework the value scale, maybe start with a black and white rough (3-4 values) to get the scenery right. that way, you can easily spot the lighter areas and check the composition, check if the brighter areas do not distract the eye from the main focus point, and that leads to the next crit :
    . i think it's hard to read because there is no focus point or too many focus points. maybe i'd change the shot/re-crop the picture. it's a cheap trick but at least it's quick to do (not the best solution prolly though).
    . also, the perspective is a bit off, that would not be a real problem actually, but the hole on the robot forehead is too detailed (highlights and stuff) and off-perspective, and since you give it so much importance in the picture, the perspective issue becomes a problem. so just keep in mind that details should add more sense and add realism to the illusion. don't add details because it's fun to do or gimmicky.

and congrats on that old man sketch. it's really beautiful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my main crit of this is as an illustration is that it's not telling much of a story. I have a feeling that there is a story behind this, but you need to help the viewer get a sense of it. if, for example, there is a man being dwarfed by a monolithic robot, that is about to squish him, i would give the shot a lower viewpoint to suggest the scale of the robot. either that or use a more distorted 'lens'. another thing you can do to suggest scale is give the robot some small detail suggestions, and use real world references, such as normal-sized vehicles, clouds, buildings, etc. as a comparison point. making it clearer that the figure is a man would help too.

technically speaking, i would improve the sketch before moving onto colour. think about composition, perspective, movement, and so on, as these are things that are important at the sketch stage in my opinion. after that, you could move onto getting your value sorted to give it some depth. but like I said, the drawing is most important, and it's obvious from the great line drawing you posted before that you have the ability to improve that initial sketch if you put some more effort into it.

hope that's of some help

Gez (you asked me what my real name is, it's Gez Fry.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I wanted to stop by and thank everyone for their well thought out constructive crits. I didnt finish the piece on time, so I didnt go to school today. I'd rather get my grade lowered, than turning in a crappy piece that doesnt work and get a bad grade. Plus, it'll bum me out evenmore to know that I didnt try my hardest at making it the best piece I could possibly make it.

I'm going to take this extra week to make much more sketches and make a good value study before I tackle this bad boy. That way, like coro said, if the drawing is solid, the painting should take no time at all.

Thx everyone, and long live crit week! (I say we make it crit year, instead of just year)
    -Oskar

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude your stuff is awesome!
    I LOVE IT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i am really impressed by this thread. i really love the added touch of those WIPs. kudos to you my friend.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey oscar, i was just browsing back through this thread again, you have some awesome suff here, alot of stuff i havent seen before.

i am looking forward to seeing your next update, hope alls well at school and stuff.
    hope to see you at the next US workshop (if i can make it) and we can go to the quiznose round the corner ^-^

peace man

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks fellas. I haven't updated with stuff cuz... I dont think its top notch stuff worth updating with. So I'll just keep working on things and I should be updating in the next week or two...hopefully

It's nice to hear those kind words, they really do help me push harder. Thx again
    -Oskar

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update. I think I have to rescan the pics to make em a bit darker. oh well, here's what I got for now.

the monkeys are done in gouache

-ink

DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    so take a photo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha monkeyss!!!

awesome dude...

Hey what happened to that robot ? I wanted to see where it went! You going to attend another summer semester this year? I am 2 weeks away from finishing my first year. That must keep you really busy .

I am loving the sensitivity in your linework. I appreciate it, I know its hard to do.

seeya oskar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice pages oscar, all of yer stuff as of recent has been looking solid fo' sho'. esp. the old dude inks. I'm going to sound like a broken record by citing works you've done recently and saying I like em'... but what can you do.

I guess a crit would be: don't be afraid to go ape-shit on the sketch pages, try and find the best lines to use by laying a bunch down from time to time. Not everything needs to be polished.

Keep chugging yo (40's of colt) and post up that retouched painting!

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2