IDW #80: Near Future Commercial Airliner - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite entry in this round of IDW

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Hatama

19 54.29%
  • Orim

1 2.86%
  • Mate Proof

6 17.14%
  • Evamonkeyn2

5 14.29%
  • Legato

2 5.71%
  • Dhomochevsky

1 2.86%
  • Timothee

1 2.86%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #80: Near Future Commercial Airliner - Voting

IDW #80 Topic: Near Future Commercial Airliner

Deadline for voting: Sunday, October 19

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #80: Near Future Commercial Airliner

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 795
Size:  7.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: Jim Hatama

Name:  Jim Hatama IDW 80 passangerplane_f.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  424.7 KB

"Relax and take a tour in our new jet! A few days in flight with observation dome, only you and the sky!"

Artist: Orim

Name:  IDW80_Orim.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  97.4 KB

Ever increasing population created the need for mass transport.

Artist: Mate Proof

Name:  idw80_future-commercial-airplane-01-MATEPROOF-web.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  203.0 KB

Artist: Evamonkeyn2

Name:  evamonkeyn2 IDW 80 future%20airliner%20ex%20pc.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  348.0 KB

Along with several hundred other projects, the Boeing 'Divine' was created as part of an artificial revitalisation of the worlds economies beginning in 2017. This 'reboot' of society as it came to be known, redefined the distance which the average person would call local. With a range of 2500 miles on a single charge and a cruise speed of mach .78 the Divine was capable of handling intercontinental routes, however its actual performance niche was that of the revitalisation and replacement of current public transportation for journeys of between 50 and 300 miles. Integral to this was the Divines VTOL capacity which created a support facility/landing facility construction demand in every major city in the western world that chose to avail of it, further increasing local economic revitalisation.

Like its transcontinental big brother, the 877, The Divine operated with neither human pilot not physical cockpit. While the initial public reaction to a pilot-less vehicle was negative, a sustained media campaign outlining the necessity and superiority of the 'machine pilot' for the new application directed public opinion into a favourable direction

- example above taken from the July 2023 Time magazine (print edition) and e edition.

The sealed cockpit less system negated the obvious danger hijacking would always present to piloted public aircraft and allowed for the incredibly dense airspace which resulted from the uptake of the Divine and similar unmanned air vehicles. By 2023 an estimated 6300 Divines were operating within the US in the target short – ultra short range, a number which tripled by 2030.

Artist: Legato

Name:  IDotW080-Legato FinalREDUCED.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  155.5 KB

Subsonic luxury jetliner; one that emphasized noise isolation, efficiency and class. In this pursuit the double decked plane also possesses two wings, both isolated from vibrations and noise created in the engines. All engines are required for takeoff, however in flight only the front engines are really needed. The rear ones spin at the background level to avoid drag. Passengers enter and exit through the door on the nose, and the pilots viewport is under the nose to provide better takeoff and landing visibility.

Artist: Dhomochevsky

Name:  Dhomochevsky future-commercial-airliner_IDW.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  258.4 KB

Artist: Timothee

Name:  IDW80_Timothee.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  284.7 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; October 12th, 2008 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Several notes on this round as usual:

Again, some nice entries in this round. Not sure if this is because of the extra time I gave or the topic or something else, but I hope you'll keep pushing it

Some entries didn't make it to poll, either because of it still being a WIP or because it didn't look finished enough.

Fughi from Yuggoth: Shame you didn't finish it. Despite all our warnings of using a blocky 3d model for a streamlined airplane, I'd have liked to see what you'd come up with.

Benkashmir: I wasn't sure which one was supposed to be your final entry, but both seem a bit unfinished. If you'd put some more work in your first one it might have made it to poll, but the angle you chose to portray the plane together with the fact that it's a bit blurry and very white made me decide against it.

thescala: Both designwise and the painting itself are just not there yet. The wings, especially the wingtips, look a bit too blocky to provide enough lift, and the rear wings are even missing (a pretty vital part of most airplanes). As for the drawing itself, work a bit more with value, shadows and color to make the form clearer and stand out from the background more. It also looks too blurry at places, making it hard to read.

Arttorney: Although it's good to see you out here, I decided not to take yours to poll this time. It might help to use more reference next time, as it looks very much like the stereotype helicopter rather than a special design. Also, the image is rather small...

Atomatik: Despite the whole discussion in the thread, yours wasn't finished yet

LANN: Hm the rules don't say you can't do that indeed, but I think you already suspected yours might not make it to poll. The reason here is that while it's a great effort to come up with multiple solutions to one problem, to deliver a 'finished' piece you'll need to make a choice and present that as the final. Since you decided to work on 7 concept sketches, none of them are finished as much as they could have been if you'd worked one out a bit further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked how a lot of designs pushed angles that were not about speed, and more about factors that will gain higher importance in reality in the coming years, like noise pollution. And to cut to that chase i voted for Legato because i felt he went 'All in' with his concept, and really pushed it on the noise/vibration element, both to those outside and inside the plane. I love seeing follow through in ideas that way, as i think it can grant a lot of realism which is fairly vital is this situation.

In terms of rendering i liked dhomochevski and hatama most, for the awesome scale and lighting. But as i said for me its the idea strength, not the render that gets my juice flowing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow.. i was just minutes late from the airliner topic.. oh well.. now its closed.. so i guess i'll put the picture here if its ok.. ?

IDW #80: Near Future Commercial Airliner - Voting

"Life is just a short period of time between birth and death..." -Me
    "As long as it looks good, Does it have to make Sense?" -SPEARdesign
    Gallery http://dekus.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/YTDekus
    Carbonmade http://dekus.carbonmade.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I moved your post in here Dekus It won't show up in the poll, but you might catch more comments on it in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel your pain Dekus, I never finished mine. I will probably still finish it for myself though. I love your design. The engines look great. You would have gotten my vote if that counts =)

Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kMh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yoitisi: Thank you
    kMh: Thanks bro! Naah.. no pain. i did it in just like an hour.. and i wasnt even serious about this one.. Thanks once again!

"Life is just a short period of time between birth and death..." -Me
    "As long as it looks good, Does it have to make Sense?" -SPEARdesign
    Gallery http://dekus.deviantart.com/gallery/
    Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/YTDekus
    Carbonmade http://dekus.carbonmade.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unfortunatly i got stuck with my design and than got a lack of time to start again.
    in the last i tried adding like 2 engines on the front , maybe a ring wing around the cockpit and something like ski-flying wings, but it doesn't work as conceptual unit.
    i will try my best in the next round

voting and critics later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice entries everyone!
    I voted for evamonkeyn2, great design!
    I also like Hatama's one, but it seems more an airplane frome the 60'/70' (wich is awesome, but not very in topic)

"At one point even the moon which used to be up in the sky above, was integrated into the Megastructure" - NOiSE
    [Lost Diary Project]

Art blog:
    http://clawsart.wordpress.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for evamonkeyn2. best design in my opinion, which is what this challenges are all about, design, not technical rendering skill.

btw - i liked the big one a lot more than the small one, and he is the reason you got my vote.

2nd fav for me is mate proof, nice design in terms of aestetichs and alternative energy usage, but its shape abit problematic.

jim hatama painting is great, and offcourse the rendered finished product is very important too, but the design there seems way too conventional.

dekus - the rear is great, the overall perspective is way way off.

Last edited by benkashmir; October 12th, 2008 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cant see many people adhearing to the near future bit in this challenge which is a shame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the thing is, near future was defined if memory serves as up to 50 years. I think that actually gives a pretty big slice of leeway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dispite being a dick in the thread, i can't help but think i had some sort of influence on the result. the thing with aircraft is that it's form follows function; it's hard to be artistic with them since fluid dynamics dictate design decisions. that being said, the most feasible designs -at least to me- were of jim hatama, mate proof and evamonkeyn2. you stuck to the thread parameters the best, but my final vote shall remain a mystery though.

it's been a rough week, too bad toilets can't draw. ugh...friday.

p.s. i'm going to edit this post to include my late effort, otherwise i'm an asshole.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by atomatik View Post
    The thing with aircraft is that it's form follows function; it's hard to be artistic with them since fluid dynamics dictate design decisions.
    I tried to stay clear from the discussion in the original thread since there were good arguments on both sides I think. However, while I think you are right that some feasability was needed for this topic, the fact that it's hard to be artistic with it doesn't mean its impossible:

Name:  Colani stuff.JPG
Views: 1063
Size:  280.9 KBName:  colani-ph.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  53.0 KB

The above images are all designs by Luigi Colani. He knows a thing or two about physics and aerodynamics as he has designed and build numerous cars and several airplanes that really fly too. I think most -if not all- of the designs above are capable of flight, though I'm not entirly sure because I didn't stop to read up on them. Mind you, some of these designs are about 20 years old...just goes to show that there is a world of freedom in this type of business still.

Last edited by yoitisi; October 13th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh well i tried to get something interesting going but i ran outta time school got in the way, but the designs in here are very unique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there we go...

Jim Hatana Looks like a commercial airplane, but also futuristic and like it would fly. I like especially the "sowjet touch", it reminds me of old russian planes.
    Orim Fucking nice Idea with that changeable containers for the passengers.But the organic form of ur plane's body doesn't work with the "human as cargo" attitude for me.
    Mate proof Surely this was not easy to paint, the shapes are beautiful. but they don't work as a near future airliner to me, maybe u think more positive about the future than me. ur concept looks like it would need lots of fuel, carry few people and isn't flying faster than today's planes. maybe some solar panels would have changed my mind, but this thing looks to luxury in my mind
    Evamonkeyn2 Maybe u got my vote if u had added a sideview or overview or stuff. very nice concept, but i cannot understand the hole form. (had the same problem on my own concept)
    Legato A bit too futuristic in my eyes. i like that feather like design of the wings!
    Dhomochevsky WHY THE FUCK u only made a sideview . this had so much potential and even this final piece has a intensive atmosphere!
    Timothee It's a nice plane, but it looks more like a speeder or spacefighter to me ( though i recognized the small seats in the cabine).
    it's not that i only support conservative shapes but i think the interaction with actual airliners should be given in some other way than a great amount of seats, which is very senseful though.
    Dekus a nice plane. but isn't there a problem with the decks and the cockpit?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.