Getting Started.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Getting Started.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Getting Started.

I've been watching my good friend Plushii draw for awhile now and she has convinced me to start drawing. The problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to start. Do I start drawing whatever I see or should I just draw the first thing that comes to my mind?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both, as you draw you'll make mistakes then you'll see the areas you need to improve in. then you improve in those areas and youll make more mistakes then you repeat the process always trying to find what went wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,843 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    And don't give up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digital or traditional methods?

My sincerest advice is to get to know the theory, especially the part regarding 3d forms. Don't blindly try to reinvent the wheel - it's a waste of time.

Most importantly, you've got to love to practice drawing because that's what you'll be doing the most. I find that in art, results are usually far, far away. Quick note while we're there, forcing yourself won't work in the long run - art is supposed to be a creative process and I have no idea how you can force yourself to be creative. Brute force might be sufficient for stuff like sports but for art, you need love.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's no force to get me to draw, I was always nervous about starting since I knew I would suck. She convinced me to get off my ass and try! I never thought about traditional or digital. I just assumed I would just pick up a pencil and go at it.

What do you mean about the theory of it?

I just picked up a scanner/printer/fax even though I think faxes went out in the 90s' it was all I could find at staples. Now I can send her all my masterful works of art!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By theory i assume he means things like anatomy perspective general knowledge about materials too.

Theres no substitute for the real thing, but we can't always access the real thing so you go to other sources (for anatomy rather than life drawing all the time you study from anatomy books (though my point is kinda void here as you get a differnt understanding from anatomy books) rather than going to a shop and buying every differnt brand of paint you'd find advice from other artists and then make a educated decision, for perspective rather than trying to invent a way to keep things in perspect research 1 2 3 4 point perspective and use it as a tool etc etc)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to do something, you should learn how to do it. Same with the drawing. Actually everyone sucked at drawing at first, so you should not be scared. Just do it- as they say around.
    Here some things you can do to get started: ( just suggestions though )

-Get a clear idea what you want. Then build a plan to achieve your goals..

-Collect Information about the subject

Google words like "drawing", "sketching", "painting" and so on and see what you will get. Then the forum here itself is awesome source of information.
    Check them links on the forum:

SKETCHBOOKS-Link
    CRITIQUE CENTER- Link
    REFERENCES AND INSPIRATION-Link

Free to download E-books about Art-Link

Loomis books for download
    -Click here ( click on the pics of book covers and they will open as pdf files you can save to your PC)

Posemaniacs ( anatomy)- www.posemaniacs.com

-Draw from life or use pictures, photos as references. Try to understand, learn to see, observe and have fun learning.

-Start a sketchbook! Buy one or use printer paper or whatever kind of paper you have and sketch a lot. Train your hand

-Try different mediums- pencil, pen, ink, watercolor...whatever you like. And see what you like the best. Don't give money for expensive stuff at first.

-Draw something everyday.And make it a habit.

-DON'T GIVE UP!

- [ Put your own ideas here]

Those are only few idea. If you enjoy, I'm sure you will find many ways to learn. Good luck!

( sorry for my bad english )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AgentAlpha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't put anatomy on the list as a "basic" part of theory - it's a lot more important to learn the other parts first - how to properly render form or perspective before tackling anatomy.

Anatomy, depending on what you're drawing, might not be needed (may the experienced artists correct me if I'm wrong). Be sure to sort your priorities.

Also, for good recall, try to learn only the stuff you'll be able to immediately apply and worry about the rest when you get there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get the B Edwards book "Drawing on the right side of the Brain", just borrow it from library or whatever.
    Don't pay too much attention to the theory but do the drawing exercises, they are really usefull if you are just starting out.
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Drawing-Ri.../dp/0874774241

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just put out my first masterpiece and it was nothing how I imagined it. I dont even know what to say about it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.