What are these 'proportions' you speak of?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What are these 'proportions' you speak of?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What are these 'proportions' you speak of?

Well... I guess this is the best way to introduce myself. I'm currently in my final year of highschool, and I enjoy working with 3Dsmax, and I've done some light animation with flash. My ultimate dream is to get involved in character design/modelling for videogames.
    For a guy who can't draw worth crap, I'm a really good artist, apparently. Over the years, my artstyle seems to keep changing. I keep incorperating things I like into it, and taking out things that don't appeal to me.

Anyway, here's a dump of some really recent stuff, and some really old stuff. I already know that I'm terrible at shading, although I'm working on that. I also need to learn how to properly pen my drawings, and also probably get a hold on a proper pencil(I just use my trusty mechanical HBs right now). These drawings are mostly quick ones, done somewhere between 20 minutes to an hour and a half.

Anyway, to start the dump.

Firstly, my 'mascot,' Ivory Mask. He started out with 3 swords, a wicked hat, and a bunch of extras, but over time, I've simplified his design.
    Here's the original pics:

And here's what he looks like now:

He's lost all his markings(for reasons that go beyond just being easier to draw, it's a long story), as well as his hat(because I thought it made him look too much like Johnny from Guilty Gear). I've also reduced his swords to his plain old giant butcher knife. His mask has also gained an additional set of eyes. And holy crap, look at his hair!

Another character that I frequently draw, although not as often as Ivory Mask(he's just not as fun to draw, that's all). Abraham Wolfe, a chainsmoking drug addict with about as cliche a past as any other.

Here's the first relevant image(because everything before that sucked horribly):
    (drawn in physics class...)

And here's what he looks like now. Not much of a change. Note that the drawing's not even close to complete, it's just what I had lying around.

Normally, I'd draw his eyes being covered by his glasses, however, I want to show that he's a fairly aged character (42 years), so I think that drawing his glasses hanging a bit lower helps him look older... and I think it looks cool.

Another recent drawing, for a project I'm currently working on in 3Ds for, a robot(er... think Eva, living robot). This is really the only mechanical design that I've ever done that has really had a deep hold on me. Maybe because it just looks crazy. This is the most recent pic, but for some reason, it's fading really badly, even just a week after drawing it. Sorry that it's in such bad condition. I have an older concept sketch of it, in case anyone wants to see it, but the design has been drastically altered since then.

Lastly, because I love Zone of the Enders, a fan made Orbital Frame. This is the only fan art I've ever done, and even though I'm not really a fan of fan art, this is one that I really like.

So, what do you think of my artstyle? What can I improve on(long, painful list, just don't mention shading, I know that foe all too well)? What do you guys like? Most of these were done fairly quick, but I'm an impatient person, so they probably wouldn't have been done any other way(another thing I need to work on, patience).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, Welcome to the forums!

If you want a critique on your overall style and information on ways to improve your drawing than the sketchbook section is more for you. Start your own thread in that section, post your drawings and sketches and people will come by (given enough time) and offer advice on how to improve. The "studies & works in progress" section is really for critique on a single piece or set of studies.

That being said, I think you have an interesting design sense. You create a lot interesting shapes and rely heavily on diagonal lines in your composition of elements that add a dynamicism to your stuff. Which is great!
    I think your title nailed your biggest problem on the head, your proportional issues.
    Exaggerated proportions can be used to great effect, but if pushed too far they will stop working for you and just start looking like you made a mistake. Your arms seem to suffer this problem. Study proportional standards by people like Andrew Loomis, tweak those standards to fit what you're more comfortable with stylistically. But be weary not to push thing so far that they break down, and destroy the believability of your figures.

Rock on!

...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I guess since these are all sketchbook drawings anyway, I should make a sketchbook topic about them. I just wasn't too sure originally, because they were essentially physics class doodles that I never actually get finished. I'll start a sketchbook topic once I have another batch to scan up.

As for proportions, I agree. My Ivory Mask character is supposed to be exaggerated, definetly, however, I carry on that premise on to other characters that I don't want that to happen with. And drawing female characters is a nightmare(I've noticed that it's much easier to make a guy look good with crazy proportions then it is to make a girl). I've improved lately(in a sketch that I can't actually show yet) in that regard, but it's definetly a weakness of mine. My lack of skill in proportions really rears its ugly head when I end up drawing two characters in the same picture, as in an attempt to stay consistant, I end up screwing things up even more.

Anyway, I'll check up Andrew Loomis, and look at what he has to offer in terms of the human body, and try to make a standard based on that, and then practice in drawing multiple characters in one picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Starting a sketchbook thread would be best for you, along with grabbing every Loomis book that's available (he pretty much set the standards). Loomis books are an invaluable tool for every artist who depicts the human body.

I noticed throughout the series of sketches, that the hands are quite underdeveloped, like mittens in a sense. Loomis books again, have a decent breakdown of the human hand and how it's formed; or you can take an alternate route and just draw hands everywhere you see them (if you have a sketchbook with you at all times) and you can pick up some anatomy books and start studying the muscle and bone structures to understand how the bones link together.

Since you have experience working with 3D objects, you should have an easy enough time depicting light on an object and how it reacts, but you must remember to define your light sources. Pick a place where the light comes from and stick with it.

As per your patience, it just takes time to get used to being patient and placing down lines. Might I also suggest you take the time to make some gesture drawings, that could give you an outlet for your impatience as well as giving you a better defined idea for a pose or drawing that you would be working on at a later point in time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.