Sketchbook: Dario's Sketchbook II - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Dario's Sketchbook II

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool stuff going on in here man.
    i especially adore your pencil work....top notch!!
    just keep on going as u did so far
    best
    D

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dario,
    Love the sketchbook but in particular the gouache studies. You have certainly inspired me to knock some of them out.
    Peace"

Last edited by Rustik Kid; April 28th, 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Gramma

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you all, fellas! It's nice to wake up, after a hard day of work, get a cup of coffee, check my emails and read such nice comments.

- Thomas + Artangela: You're both right in every aspect. Not meant to be an excuse, but I avoided the foot until the very last 5 minutes, knowing I would've trouble, and thats what happened. Blocked in some forms and colors, but of course I could have done better. Thanks for pointing that out!

Thomas, I'm doing fine, I just have a lot of work recently and I'm afraid I won't visit the university much this semester. Besides moving to a new flat also consumes a lot of time. How about you?

--

A friend of mine started a weekly sketchgroup and it's surprisingly growing. A lot of talented people gathering and I'm glad I'm part of it. The first two times now we arranged models to pose for us. So heres what I did so far... two gouache studies of the gals. About 2 1/2 hours each.

And two other pages from my sketchbook. A veery small gouache study, about 10 cm / 4 inches wide. And a lifedrawing session.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dariocoelho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice studies mate, dig the gouaches btw what brand are they?
    regards!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Peter! I mostly use Schmincke, but I would highly prefer the Winsor & Newton Gouache. Bought some in Florence 2 years ago and it's a huge difference in quality. Unfortunately I couldn't find them in austria yet.
    But Schmincke is good too, just hasn't the same thick, buttery consistence.

--

A recently done plein air oil painting. About 3 hours, as always. It was the first time I skipped the sketching part and directly started with blocking in colors. The surprising result was a nearly finished color study after 30 minutes, so I could very relaxed lay in details. Thats when I started to work careless and messed it up, but I still like the painting and I think it brought me a step forward.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dariocoelho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dario!
    I really dig the looseness of your 10cm gouache sketch above. And the new plein air... I think that's the best I've seen from you. It just has a relaxed quality somehow. I know you may be less pleased because you remember the motive and can make a comparison in your mind, but judging from what I see on my screen it looks good. Only the base of the brown trunk jumps out at me, perhaps because it's tight and everything else is relaxed, don't know.

Honestly I don't blame you for staying away from uni. I think you're getting more value out of your time doing what you do now. Where's your flat? Are you living in the bush now?

I'm still working on my drawing. I try to be focused and keep in mind that my goal is storytelling and film, so I spend more time on drawing and not much on colour or painting. I hope that's the right way to prioritise for me and that will pay off. We'll see.

Anyway, get some of that looseness into your portraits, will ya?! It looks great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude you rock i love your recently posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last paint is great. top stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your guoache stuff is very likely, i like the one with the girl sitting on this chair the most (on this page)!
    Now I want to do some guoache paintings too Thanks for inspiring me :>

cgHub
    Facebook
    DA

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies, 5 stars no doubt! :o
    What kind of sketchbook is that? Does it hold paint and graphite well? I've been looking for a sb to paint and draw in but havent found any good one yet.

Coming across this sb was a pleasant surprise for me, this moody afternoon. Thanks for inspiring me!
    Bookmarking for further viewing.

mr w

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Thomas: Hey man, thanks for your neverending feedback! I live in the 5th district now, my favorite in vienna. The moving was exhausting, but it's done now, and besides unpacking all my stuff, getting new furniture, etc. I'm more relaxed now. In overall the apartment is slightly smaller, but still I'm finally having more space to work. You're officially invited, so drop by some time!

I hope I can get some free time to work on personal stuff again, I'm currently just doing studio stuff and besides the plein air paintings I would love to do some imaginative, free work. Really like your latest stuff!

-Timmi: Thank you, glad I could inspire. Gouache is a very powerful tool!

-Wasker: Flattering, man. Thank you a lot! The sketchbook is a recycled paper version of a Daler Rowney sketchbook. Found it at a local office supply store. Unfortunately this was a lucky find, it's very hard to find those things here in vienna. The paper, as I remember, has only 120g, so it does bend a bit with gouache, but I place a have book over night over it, so it's flat again. Bigger problem is graphite... it smudges a lot! A lot more than my other sketchbooks ever did. So I decided to only use it for ink drawings or gouache paintings. In overall, if it's not about the toned paper, I highly recommend the sketchbooks from Hahnemühle. The best ones I've found so far. Hold paint and graphite in a excellent way.

--

Sooo... this ones is 3-4 weeks old, but I do want to show it. Same approach as with my last forest painting. Blocking in colors and moving from the rough to the detail. Works very good and I'm getting more and more confident with it. 3 hours, 11x9 inches, oil on wood panel.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dariocoelho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 491 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks great man,thanks for share it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Peter and Verehin!

--

A self portrait I painted today. Rediscovered the palette knife in Painter X - what a tool! Always very strange and difficult to paint a self portrait. You just can't relax. At least I can't...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely colours in the self portrait! the enviroment plein air paints are really cracking too. Makes me want to get ouside and paint!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Duuuudee.. du hast doch nicht etwa deine Dreds abgesäbelt..?!?!?!
    Das deine Arbeiten hier gut sind muss ich ja nicht mehr sagen..

sag mal kommst du zur dafcon dieses Jahr??

grüße aus dem Ruhrpot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, I dig!!! I might just try gouche when I sketch next time, wicked enviro/portrait studies by the way.

Sketchbook

Insert very insightful quotes here ...
    - get back to work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -cakeypigdog: Thanks, man! Hope to see some plein air paintings soon!

-FastArt: Ja, nix mehr Rastaman. Zur Con werd ich leider nicht können. Hoffe es läuft alles gut da im Ruhrpot!

-strings: Glad you dig, good choice in medium. Gouache is an awesome tool for sketching and studies.

--

I painted this portrait at the last sktechgroup meeting. We painted for about 3 hours, including the breaks. Started with an oil painting first, but decided to switch to digital medium, because... you know, I was lazy! But it was an opportunity to try out the screen capture feature once more. This time it worked, but there are still minor things like the camera shake. My apologies!
    Not my best, but I hope you dig the little video.

MacTire is offline pencil pushing blotter jotter Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful work man!!
    Loving the gouache life studies, that second one (girl portrait) really pops. Awesome work on the other studies too.
    I agree with you regarding self-portraits, very hard to relax, and sometimes holding the pose can even hurt!

Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely progress man, the gouaches are a tread for the eye
    nice work on the oil studies too, they seem to influence your digital painting style a lot. I hope that will happen with mine too, I´m very stiff when working with the tablet :/

anyway, keep up man, you´re doing good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello buddy, it's always pleasure for me to come back every time and to watch your amazing progress,your work is so beautiful and source of inspiration, thank you for keeping me motivated
    best regards
    Peter~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, i really enjoy watching your sketchbook, 5starz from me

M

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -MacTire: Thanks for the positive feedback!

-Darkside: Thanks, I'm glad to read it shows in my digital work. I feel a lot more secure with colors since I'm painting those plein air paintings.

-Peter: Once again, thank you for your comment and appreciation. Happy about being able to motivate you.

-MatejaPetkovic: Obrigado for the starz!

--

Today I painted a very relaxing speedpainting. Nothing special, just blocking in shapes and playing around with colors. Don't know if it's really interesting for you guys, but I kinda like it. Would like to do more speedpaintings, as it forces me to stay with the most important elements of the painting.

And some new sketchbook pages... studies, studies, studies, as always. Hope it's not boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's not boring!!! man I told you it's inspiring
    * too bad I couldn't stay in Vienna mate, I only will drive trough Vienna next month - really want to meet you in real
    ** btw what paints you mix to get the skin tone (noticing the last traditional sketch-study)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey !
    Great pencils you have here.
    Your oil paintings keeps getting better and better. Keep it up!
    Cheers mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome pencils man, love your vibrating speedpainting, it´s a pleasure to look at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hammmmmer!
    Deine trad. sachen rulen wie immer!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dudes, thanks for the kind words - appreciate the feedback!

-Peter: Mixing skincolors is pretty simple with my palette, because it's very limited. So I just use a combination of cadmium red, cadmium yellow, yellow ocher, a bit of ultramarine blue and of course a lot of white. Depending on the temperature or saturation I want to get, I use more or less from one or the other color. I suggest you to draw some little squares on a white panel and fill them in with all the variations you can mix with those colors. Very helpful to understand your palette.

--

Been a while, huh?

I was asked to contribute my work for a monthly feature in the "datum" print magazine. The basic idea is simple - giving illustrators the chance of presenting their work to a wider audience. I decided to do something new, because most of my stuff don't represent what I would really like to do. It was rather spontaneous to come up with the idea of the 3 apes. I wanted to paint this classic motive, with some hint of criticism. Being vegetarian, almost vegan (except cheese - something I just don't want to miss), animals and their struggle and pain within our food economy always was something that moved me. But I also always wanted to stay away from political or social themes, not wanting to be reduced to only one opinion. Besides the fact I don't want to sound like a hypocrite - we all are full of mistakes, right?

Anyway... This was painted with oils on three small sheets of paper and put together behind a frame. The size is 6x3 inches and I painted it all in one day, which is a new record for me working with oils. I will post a scan of the page in the magazine as soon as I get a copy.

Oh and many thanks to Tom Mackinger, from austrianillustration.com, for the opportunity!

A character concept demonstration work I'll be turning into a full colored concept sheet tomorrow at the SAE Qantm School here in Vienna. Also doing a little introduction to Corel Painter and it's features.

And last but not least, a little gouache study, made from a movie still. "A Fistful of Dollars" !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really dig this sb man! never tried gouache...you make me wanna try it love the oils too, just great stuff here! keep em coming

frank

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Gressie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Frank! I'm sure it will be a great new experience for you.

--

A friend of mine mentioned I don't have any vehicle/technical work in my portfolio and he was absolutely right. I never really felt like doing it and so far never had to do for work. So I gave it a go and after some messed up thumbnails made these sketches. The briefing is a military mobile communication unit, set in near future. Thanks go to the very helpful vehicle concept tutorial of Kemp Remillard. As a total newbie to this genre it was an excellent guide. Hope I can handle sketchup, but just a matter of time I guess.

The view from my working place - constantly watching the neighbors. I'm sure they love it! I like the colors, kept staring at them several times, so I decided to paint a little study this morning.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2