Thanks

using an external harddrive for scratch disk... read this!!

i never thought it would make a difference if i used my C: drive or my K: drive (external HD). I figured if anything, K: would be slower since it is a USB drive.

WRONG.

I was getting brush lag as I was using a larger brush and i decided to tinker with the settings. I switched the "scratch disk" from my C: to my K: and WOW what a difference. It is at least 40% faster. Try it!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slipp3ry View Post
    i never thought it would make a difference if i used my C: drive or my K: drive (external HD). I figured if anything, K: would be slower since it is a USB drive.

WRONG.

I was getting brush lag as I was using a larger brush and i decided to tinker with the settings. I switched the "scratch disk" from my C: to my K: and WOW what a difference. It is at least 40% faster. Try it!
    How much ram do you have?

I'm using 3 GB on xp home, and an external usb2 drive. After reseting my scratch disk to the USB2 drive, I set a thick impasto brush to 165, and even at these extremes, the usb2 drive scratch disk was never accessed. Using Painter 10.

I think maybe you'd do better to get more ram or a faster cpu.

Thanks
    well it depends on how big the file is you're working with. if my file is like 10inch x 10in and its like ~120dpi then i can use any brush no problem .

but i work with much larger files , like 200-300MB, 40 inch by 40 inch, files at 300dpi . Brushes like certain watercolors etc will lag heavily. I have 3gb with a 3ghz pentium D processor on XP.

how do you know if the scratch disk is accessed or not?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slipp3ry View Post
    well it depends on how big the file is you're working with. if my file is like 10inch x 10in and its like ~120dpi then i can use any brush no problem .

but i work with much larger files , like 200-300MB, 40 inch by 40 inch, files at 300dpi . Brushes like certain watercolors etc will lag heavily. I have 3gb with a 3ghz pentium D processor on XP.

how do you know if the scratch disk is accessed or not?
    The sample file I was using was 11x17 and I deliberately upped the resolution to 300 . Didn't try watercolours, but for a test, I used an Impasto thick round set at some stupid big brush size like 130. It took ages to go across my 22" monitor, but the access light on the USB2 external drive didn't come on once the whole time I covered the page with these strokes.

So the brush lag was still there big time, even using an external usb2 drive.

BTW-I'm using an Athlon 64 X2 4200 with 4Gb ram installed (3.x gb of it is actually recognized by win xp home using the 3gb switch)

Since it seems to make no difference, I'm going back to putting Painter's scratch disk on the internal hd.

YMMV (your mileage may vary.

Cheers