Sketchbook: Angel Intheuk - Caricatures and studies + UPDATED FEB 2014 + - Page 3
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Angel Intheuk - Caricatures and studies + UPDATED FEB 2014 +

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lol she does..like she's had too much to drink...could be an olde worlde community warning...'dunnai crosseth rivers whilest inebreated'

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; February 3rd, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are sweet! I especially like the first page. These would make some really nice illustrations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Intheuk View Post
    could be an olde worlde community warning...'dunnai crosseth rivers whilest inebreated'
    brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys x

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; March 4th, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Titania WIPS for the CHOW146.. progress through from 1st the final idea sketch, still need to work out correct proportions and find some more ref to do some details and textures...any comments?

edit...please excuse the bad line quality had to level it quite alot so I could see the finer pencil lines and over did it a tad...

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update on the Titania WIP - haven't drawn her arms in yet, just getting reference

Please let me know what you think...there's a few things that seem to be a bit off but been looking at it too long

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working on the colour and background for this WIP, overlaying some interesting textures from different photo ref. Decided to do her leading along a grass snake to give her scale and something interesting in the bottom bit of the pic...

Still getting ref for her hands..will see what happens, would like to finish this even if I don't meet the CHOW deadline.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Angel! The fairy illustration is looking great. I think it has good potential. I just like to point out a couple of things that bothered me.

In the first image, the snake seems to be too close to the viewer. It would be better if you could indicate that it is right next to the fairy due to the position of her left hand. Maybe if you could have it coming from behind her like in the 2nd image. It would make it appear like they have this connection to each other. Also notice the way the snake leads the viewer's eye away from the page due to it's body going to the right. You wouldn't want that. Try to focus on leading the eye towards the main focal point.

Another thing are those two red lines that I indicated in the first image. They start to confuse the viewer. I wasn't sure which of those lines indicate the back side of her torso, but it looks like they're a part of the design of her clothing. The reason for this confusion are the tangents they have created. Try to look for those red lines in your original so you could see what I mean.

Keep working on this! I really like the ideas you have here.

Last edited by Dizon; February 6th, 2009 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo! really like the kill bill charicatures, you greatly capture the actors maybe you should work more the color with more values.. anyway good work!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bouroune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers Dizon - I knew her costume was becoming a bunch of lines and tried to pull it back a bit so thanks for clarifying what's wrong with it.. and I was thinking the exact same about the snake...so you've actually saved me a job there, can't thank you enough (and cheers for the comp)

bouroune Thanks very much..I will, I promise...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah! can't use photoshop <throws hissy fit> Just had a go at finishing Titania but not really working...hated it so redrew her a bit and added the snake in again..(Cheers Dizon for your help there )

this is the colour sketch for the future, I'm happy with all the elements now so gonna try this one again using a different technique...actually I intended to just do the picture in pencil and I wish I'd stuck with that now and lightly coloured it and added texture, that was my intention but you know how it goes, tend to get carried away..good learning curve though

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    why not add some water (a little little river on the back)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Zou - Good idea hmm, could do some strange insect creatures flying around as well...

The deadline was extended for a day so I decided to try and at least finish it. the dress is just flat and crap (basically) I like the design but need to play around with textures and thought about playing around with some photos, I did that with the background, there's some exotic sea-horses somewhere in there.

Anyway let me know what you think all crits welcome in an attempt to make it better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi

damn, it's really better .

the ground is little absent i think, you could have fun with brushes and scribble some grass

why not add a bit of foliage in the front foreground, as if the viewer was hiding in behind them (not too much of course)

and make a far backround ( a little path) to add depth to the image

keep pushing that pic

18. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job! Glad to see you worked on it more. I mirror some of Zou's suggestions. Adding something in the foreground will give it more depth. I'm also not sure what's behind her. Perhaps you want to make that clearer. I think references for fairy wings will also help.

My advice for future work is that you practice working in greyscale so that you can understand how values work. Maybe you can save some of your favorite work form other artists and open them in photoshop. Convert the images to greyscale to see how they used value to give their pieces mood , atmosphere, contrast, depth, etc. and apply it to your own work.

Last edited by Dizon; February 16th, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot guys, that's really useful advice.. I'll keep going with this one definitely. Just have to have a change for while and do a caricature commission for someone's mum and some more Kill Bill Caricatures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The commission of someones mum from the 50's.

2 more Kill Bill caricature initial sketches...

Had an idea for the CHOW Brownstone Paranormal Investigator. had the first idea then the second one after a bad day at work today liked it so had a play with overlaying the pencil lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi
    one question
    post 82 image 3 : wich pencil do u used ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Zou

The portrait was HB, the rest were done in 2B and then leveled to make the lighter pencil lines more visible here.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; March 4th, 2009 at 04:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Wips for the CHOW Challenge

Female Dark Sith - the last one was just to see if she would fit in as part of the film, she needs a little tweaking, maybe some more Star Wars style dress/headgear/hairstyle..I'll do some more research today

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I really like her look. Definitely a sith! If you're going to use the back ground with the planet watch out for those tangents( the red lines). Same thing happened before with your titania piece. Is she supposed to be inside a ship or something?

I'm not so sure about the lens flare effect. It's not working. Are you also going to show the lightsaber fully lit? Make sure you have enough space for it. I think it could also be a good source of lighting as well.

Something about the way her legs are positioned feels weird, too. I would look at some references for that.

I'll be looking forward for more! I'm thinking about joining the CHOW but not sure if I have enough time. The topic's really good too!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Dizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hiya Dizon

Cheers for the crits...yeah she is supposed to be in a ship with a space battle going on behind her that she's contributing to with Battle Meditation (been reading Wookiepedia ) and the legs were copied from reference but I kinda got carried away so I think I will redo those. Hmm, the lens flare was from the planet picture behind so I was just playing with that and thought I could incorporate is as the light sabre so that will go eventually (but good to know as well that it doesnt work)

Wasn't sure about having the light sabre lit becuase of the composition. If it's fully lit I'd have to do a landscape scene to fit it in, so I was going to do it either off or just lighting up as if she's getting ready to get stuck in so I could keep it as it is...might have to rethink it..maybe have it a different shape so the blade points upwards?

Anyway, really useful thanks again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi Angel

i like the first post of the chow with the black background , you could leave the background black or very dim with the saber as the only lighting

i got a crazy idea but why not: is the laser saber always right, why not a little curbed like japanease saber

agree with dizon for the legs, perhaps should they rest on a flat surface instead of curved one.
    and cool design on the head the torso, and the strips

30. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Zou - Cheers for the C+C - I decided to not do the lightsaber in the end, but I was thinking of using a katana with a curved blade and then ran out of time .

Anyway I spent pretty much two evenings and most of today on this probably 8-16 hours work I would have liked to have done more research and got more ref but I'm quite pleased with the result. Any shout outs welcome for glaringly obvious mistakes, I know the feet look a bit flat, I ran out of steam, might have another go tomorrow.

Anyway here she is with the WIPs and description (I actually finished early...woop! high five me! )

Darth Lh'go'shi

A human who's family was slaughtered by the Black Sun, Darth Maul took her under his wing when he was sent to destroy them.
    She soon became his lover and apprentice and went through the training, surgically enhancing herself along the way.

Darth Maul's death came as a shock but she didn't care, seeing it as freedom to find her own path she wandered the galaxy
    studying every Philosophy and Fighting technique she could find.

The undisputed Mistress of Katan Lightsaber, Levitation and Battle Meditation. She now takes a back seat choosing to fight from
    her meditation chamber on her battle cruiser.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had another swipe at my lady Sith today. Redid her feet to look more fleshy and added some much needed blue shadows to her face and body

realised her feet are not as outlined as the rest of her, not sure if this detracts from it or not. hmm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates! especially the last one! Have you tried flipping it out horizontally? Something in his face bothers me but im not sure what... Keep up the hard work

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be careful with the highlights. Too much of them can be distracting especially if they're all of the same intensity. I would subdue most of them and keep the strongest near my focal point. Also consider what parts are nearest the light source. The highlights are stronger there than in areas where the light is less intense.

In terms of the overall value scheme, I prefer your greyscale sketch. It has a much clearer silhouette. I think you've lost that value distribution in your final. I also wished you darkened the surrounding areas to put more focus on the focal point. My eye tends to go to places where it doesn't need to go like the folds of her skirt for example. It's really distracting.

In general, I think you really need to practice figure construction and value work. Focus on those things first before you venture on to color. Do you have access to any books? What I did before was study Andrew Loomis' books. I copied his illustrations to gain an understanding of how the figure is constructed. I suggest you do the same. It really helped me become more confident especially when drawing from imagination. I also recommend Bridgman's books.

Later!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dizon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Noodle: Symmetry is not one of my strong points, I did flip it in the drawing stage but probably not enough. thanks for the Comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh up Dizon

cheers very much, you always give good pointers. I am aware I've still got alot of anatomy to learn and values is something I do have trouble with so yeah I think you're right there...I will go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Angel Intheuk; February 20th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 46