current concept in progress
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: current concept in progress

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

current concept in progress

Hi, been a while since I posted here but I'm looking for some feed back for my current piece. Basically it's still a rough concept and I've just outlined a few things to help me with placement.

The lines are by no means final (as is the colouring), I'm still working on the feet in terms of lineart, I just left them as is until I get closer down. The angle got me, so I'm having trouble drawing them... I'm a bit iffy on the head and placement of the eye, so I was looking for some opinions and crits about the whole thing in general.

Just what I've got so far, working on the blouse next and the lighting last of all. Don't mind the concept, it seems pretty standard as of now, but there are reasons for it.

Please tell me what you think!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Elcura; October 12th, 2008 at 11:12 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think her head is a little big!! Her right hand should be smaller and increase a little her left foot! That's because her position! (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, her hand should indeed be smaller, can't believe I missed that (her foot needs a bit of change as well). Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update, still need to work on the skirt some more. Gonna change the colours on the gauntlet later, I love the hue/saturation slider... =P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Elcura.. you're doing good in my opinion.. just pay attention in her mouth, inside, there's a white line that I couldn't understand why! And I missed her teeth! Keep going! (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'll definitely work on the mouth a little more tomorrow and try and define some of the teeth and whatnot. Still need to do a little more work on her blouse and maybe skirt, but I like what I've got so far. I changed a few colours around and think it works a lot better.

Gotta love the hue/saturation slider >.>

Agent Melon is offline Not actually an agent.... Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Colours are quite nice, could do with more shading here and there, face, neck, and depending on the light source that arm would cast a shadow. That little tuff of hair covering her eye looks out of place, like you only did it to avoid drawing it in.

I'm interested in seeing the background, looks like its part of a larger scene, where are you taking this piece?

website: www.agentmelon.co.uk [Sketchbook] Available for freelance work : [link]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Melon View Post
    That little tuff of hair covering her eye looks out of place, like you only did it to avoid drawing it in.
    You know, until you mentioned that I had been trying to put my finger on what was bothering me about the face. Now I realize it's that smooth arc on the right side, from chin to forehead. There's no indication of a cheekbone or jaw there, to say nothing of where the eye goes. From my view, the tuft of hair looks like it's going into her eye, which would be terribly uncomfortable. It's also longer than the other tuft, when you take perspective into account, which makes it all the more out of place.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Melon View Post
    Colours are quite nice, could do with more shading here and there, face, neck, and depending on the light source that arm would cast a shadow. That little tuff of hair covering her eye looks out of place, like you only did it to avoid drawing it in.

I'm interested in seeing the background, looks like its part of a larger scene, where are you taking this piece?
    Thanks, I haven't totally thought about a background, considering I need to do 6 more characters I can't really put more time into a background until I finish those off. If I did add a background it would probably be of an urban type scene. Kind of turquoise blue light filling the area, misty near the ground.

Just a rough take, but something like:

Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    You know, until you mentioned that I had been trying to put my finger on what was bothering me about the face. Now I realize it's that smooth arc on the right side, from chin to forehead. There's no indication of a cheekbone or jaw there, to say nothing of where the eye goes. From my view, the tuft of hair looks like it's going into her eye, which would be terribly uncomfortable. It's also longer than the other tuft, when you take perspective into account, which makes it all the more out of place.
    Ah yeah, that area was somewhat bothering me as well, but I found changing the face a little difficult. Now that you mention it, I will certainly give more consideration. I'll man up tomorrow and fix the face, put the tuft behind her head (shorten it) and define the side of the face more to show some cheek bone and definition.

Thank you for your advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, now the posture makes sense! I'd been seeing her as falling/twisting and it didn't work for me, but now I see the whole scene's on an angle and both feet are on the floor. You might want to rotate the canvas to check the anatomy before you go too far, since when I turn it so she's straight up and down, her neck ends up on a pretty uncomfortable angle and she's looking more or less at the floor a couple of feet behind her. Perhaps if you lift her head a little, and have her eyes looking further back, it'll help a bit.

Mind you, there's a good feeling of movement and the rest of the body pretty much checks out, although something about her foot placement seems a bit bland somehow. Maybe it's the fact that her body is turned, but her feet are both pointed in the same direction? Dunno. Maybe someone else can point something out.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh yes, you're right about that. The head, considering the angle of the picture is indeed to low. I really need to get used to different perspectives, which is why the feet seem so awkward. From the get go they've been a pain to draw, but I'll see what twisting it around can accomplish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An update, I changed the head mostly and the hair. I think now it's stronger than before, but it certainly was challenging getting it to look the way I wanted it too. Small changes on the gauntlet arm (made it a bit bigger) and the shoes (more rounded). The angle of the shoes is truly killing me, nothing I do looks good (or more accurately, better). For now, I think I've worked on this long enough, and barring any glaring faults, I think I'm ready to move onto the next piece.

Any thoughts or crits welcome, you've all been a great help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It does look a lot better, as does the closer foot. Her head position is a lot more believable, and that helps the face a lot.

As to the foot position, I would angle the more distant foot away from the viewer a little, to give her a better stance. That should go a long way to finishing your pose. Pointing forward, it looks like the leg is twisting. The location isn't too bad, so you probably just have to point the toes.

The upper part of the mechanical (?) arm looks a bit pinched. It's easy enough to deal with if you put the sleeve outside the top of the artificial bit, having it tucked in makes the arm look very small and constricted at the bicep.

I'm also wondering why there are such strong bands of light on the forward part of her skirt, given the light seems to be coming from behind?

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    It does look a lot better, as does the closer foot. Her head position is a lot more believable, and that helps the face a lot.

As to the foot position, I would angle the more distant foot away from the viewer a little, to give her a better stance. That should go a long way to finishing your pose. Pointing forward, it looks like the leg is twisting. The location isn't too bad, so you probably just have to point the toes.

The upper part of the mechanical (?) arm looks a bit pinched. It's easy enough to deal with if you put the sleeve outside the top of the artificial bit, having it tucked in makes the arm look very small and constricted at the bicep.

I'm also wondering why there are such strong bands of light on the forward part of her skirt, given the light seems to be coming from behind?
    Ah, right. I think I'll try that with the toe, and certainly with the arm. Just making it more loose and hanging out around the top of the arm? The light is just me fooling around, it is pretty much behind her, but at a distance so that the lower part of the front of her skirt wouldn't get any (or much light) but the top part would have hints of it. I like colour and shiny things, so I need to tone it down, which I will later on, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It doesn't look so much shiny as glowing under it's own power, maybe it's made of glowsticks.

But yeah, as far as the sleeve goes having it a bit billowy, maybe even torn short since the other side is full-length would work too. It'd give the arm a fuller look, I think.

Great work so far, though. Are you thinking about defining the hair any more than that, or just leaving it? No problem either way, just curious.

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I'll try the torn effect, it sounds like it would be more interesting and look better than tucked in. About the hair, I'll probably leave it, and add more to it as time goes along. I haven't really looked up reference for it, so I will later on when I try at it for real.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much Much Better! (=

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.