Thanks

Best, affordable, tablet for painter?

Hi guys Iíve been looking to get myself a tablet after messing with my friends Wacom graphire3 I fell in love with painter x. I was hoping to get a little advice on where to buy and which model to get. The price is also important so deals are welcome

Iím not entirely sure how to get the best bargain (so advice is welcome!) but I do know what Iím looking for in size (6x8ish)

The Wacom Intuos3 6x8 is 330 USD on their web page. Is there a better place to go or a better company maybe?

(I wasnít entirely sure on where to place this post but as Iím looking for the best tablet in my price range for painter I figured you guys might not mind over here ^_^ )

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Intuos 3 is the best for painter. Try Amazon or Costco for prices too. Some also do bundles, like Corel is offering a bundle for an intuos3 and Painter on their site.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I bought a 6x8 Graphire

Personally I'm convinced Wacom is the only way to go. I bought a 6x8 graphire and it has worked wonderfully but....

I keep thinking what it would be like to have gone up to an Intuos. Since I don't expect this one to die any time soon I probably wont replace it either.

I'd hold out for the intuos.

Sigurd

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sigurd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    If you are just experimenting then go for a graphire. If you are serious then go intuos. ebay is where i got my first intuos2 about 2 years ago. I got a 6x8 intuos2 in perfect condition for $70 dollars...i got lucky tho. Most 6x8 intuos2 on ebay go for about 120 or so. A used 6x8 intuos3 goes for about $220 or so.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ross View Post
    If you are just experimenting then go for a graphire.
    Regular Graphires are not made anymore-only one is the wireless Graphire which costs around $250 USD.

The Graphire line was basically replaced by the Wacom Bamboo tablets as Wacom's beginner/low-cost tablet.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Doug B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    the bamboo is only $80 and works very well. If you want more resolution on the pad then get the Intuos.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to slipp3ry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It's more than just "resolution" I think people forget that there is tilt and rotation sensitivity. The 6d art pen works well with some of the brushes in Painter made for the pen. There are express keys on the latest intuos to program shortcuts, but I wanted to state why at least in terms of "affordability' and best since it utilizes the most features would be the latest line of intuos. There is also the cintiq, but like I said...affordable

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Only the Intuos 3 tablet has 6 degrees of movement:

X axis
    Y axis
    Pressure
    Tilt
    Bearing
    Rotation

And using a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet (only in combination) with a Wacom 6D Art Pen provides Rotation support.

Rotation Expression applies to any flat nib brush variant in Painter X through Painter X.1.

In Painter IX.5 (maybe also in Painter IX and IX 9.1 but I'm not sure about that) Rotation support was only provided for some brush variants that were created to use with the Wacom Intous 3 tablet and 6D Art Pen. That brush category is named:

Art Pen Brushes

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Id like to thank all you folks for the advice!

It seams wacom is the only way to go , i think ill hit up ebay for an Intuos 3 and see if i cant find a deal on a new one in the mean time.

with any luck ill have some "noob" painter junk to post soon ^__^

This 6D art pen also sounds interesting hmmmz
    Last edited by Oxide-0; October 10th, 2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks
    MR Roche,

Check Wacom's Refurbished Tablets page. As I type this, they have three Intuos 3 tablets in three sizes: 4 x 6, 6 x 11, and 9 x 12.

Better than buying from eBay because you know who you're dealing with, and if they're still doing this as they always have, you'll get a one year warranty and all of the bundled software that comes with new, more expensive tablets.

Yep, Wacom is a good company and their tech support is free and friendly.

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your Tablet isn't something you want to skimp on. I bought an Intuos 2 for my self many years ago when the Intous 3 was just being talked about. I loved it but then the army bought me an Intous 3, now I hate my tablet. the 3 is by far a better product, the buttons on the side help increase my workflow and I really like the different nib styles.

I bought my mother a tablet to use because she wanted to try painter and I got here a graphire. She didn't notice the difference but I sure did. if you intend to do do serious work with painter, spend the extra money. I still have two older tablets that are both over 5 years old and still work the way they did when they were new.

You wont be sorry. It might hurt your wallet a little, but you'll be happier in the end.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dvillus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wacom tablets are super, and for many years I have simply loved them. All of the ones I have owned have been great - until I gave away my 6X8 Intous 2 and bought an Intous 3 - 6X11.

Something is still interfering with the pen and it jitters so erratically I can't do anything with it. Wacom tech support has been very responsive to my complaints, but after trying all of their solutions nothing has helped the situation. Thinking it could be a defective pen, I even bought a new pen from Wacom, but it made no difference. I'm becoming very frustrated with this tablet.

I had no problem with my old Intous 2 tablet and I was using it in the same exact environment as the Intous 3.

Now, I'm tempted to go to my granddaughter and ask for my old tablet back. (I won't, but I am tempted.) This is so disappointing! Grrrrr!

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dvillus View Post
    ....... and I really like the different nib styles.

what makes you think the felt and springy nibs aren't for intuos 2 as well?.......... they were advertised under intuos 2 accessories and i bought them they work fine.
    its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Thanks
    Didn't know you could use the nibs for other tablets but I never had the chance to try one until the Intous 3 arrived on my desk.

But even if I had known the 3 is an awesome tablet and I'm glad I have one in both my offices.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredbt View Post
    Something is still interfering with the pen and it jitters so erratically I can't do anything with it. Wacom tech support has been very responsive to my complaints, but after trying all of their solutions nothing has helped the situation. Thinking it could be a defective pen, I even bought a new pen from Wacom, but it made no difference. I'm becoming very frustrated with this tablet.
    Fred, is it possible that the tablet itself is the problem and not the pen?

Thanks
    Err... just some obvious suggestions, but still
    - don't you have an usb mouse both with your intuos 3 plugged in? also, intuos could have troubles when plugged into usb-hub;
    - did you remove the old wacom drivers before installing intuos 3 there?
    - does removing all the drivers (so tablet works as an unrecognized usb device) remove the jittering problem?
    those are two main reasons for tablet's misbehaviour, and tech support should have pointed them out - and I seriously hope that's not a defective device itself.
    Last edited by ikken; October 13th, 2008 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Fred, is it possible that the tablet itself is the problem and not the pen?
    Thanks for the response. That was my first thought, but it works perfectly with my laptop computer so that tells me that it isn't a defective tablet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    Err... just some obvious suggestions, but still
    - don't you have an usb mouse both with your intuos 3 plugged in? also, intuos could have troubles when plugged into usb-hub;
    - did you remove the old wacom drivers before installing intuos 3 there?
    - does removing all the drivers (so tablet works as an unrecognized usb device) remove the jittering problem?
    those are two main reasons for tablet's misbehaviour, and tech support should have pointed them out - and I seriously hope that's not a defective device itself.
    My mouse is plugged into the keyboard and the tablet has been plugged into every USB port on my computer without success. I have two USB ports on the front of the computer and several on the back. None of them make any difference. I don't have a USB hub.

The tablet isn't defective since it works perfectly on my laptop computer.

The drivers are the most confusing part of this problem to me. I've uninstalled all tablet drivers and installed every driver recommended to me. (One at a time, of course.) Even using the tablet with no driver installed doesn't stop the jittering of the pen.

Wacom tech support sent me a long list of things to do. I've done them all and nothing helps. One suggestion was that it may be interference from my monitors, but the farther away from the monitors I take the tablet, the more the pen jitters. ????

My realistic style of painting is impossible with the pen vibrating all over the place. This is so frustrating. I can't do anything that I want to do.

http://fredtaylorart.com/

Thanks
    My realistic style of painting is impossible with the pen vibrating all over the place. This is so frustrating. I can't do anything that I want to do.

http://fredtaylorart.com/
    No other programs are interfering with the software? I remember a few times people saying some other program in the background causes the interference.

Signals do interfere with the tablet at times, in fact I've had it where if my tablet is too close to my cell phone (I also use to dial in to the internet with my laptop) it will not connect online.

Thanks
    No other programs are interfering with the software? I remember a few times people saying some other program in the background causes the interference.

Signals do interfere with the tablet at times, in fact I've had it where if my tablet is too close to my cell phone (I also use to dial in to the internet with my laptop) it will not connect online.
    Wacom suggested that it may be a "haxie" running in the background. I disabled everything I knew of in that respect without success. I have a land line telephone in my studio and no cell phone.

The only thing Wacom mentioned that I haven't been able to test is interference from a metal desk. This may be the problem. I do have a rather large metal and glass contemporary desk for my computer and the two 23" LCD displays.

It would be a major pain to move all of my equipment to another location far away from that desk to test that theory. I may have to do that, but it will not only be a major chore, I hate the thought of giving up a desk I really like and having to buy another one made of wood or something other than steel and glass.

I just shouldn't have to turn the world upside down to get a tablet to work. I'm too used to things that are "plug and play" and easy to use.

Thanks
    One other thought: I think the interference problem is caused by the Intous 3's programmable buttons. My old Intous 2 didn't have that extra circuitry and it worked very well with my metal desk.

Has anybody else used an Intous 3 with a metal desk? It would be interesting to know if this is the real cause. If so, Wacom should warn people of this problem, don't you think?

Thanks
    One other thought: I think the interference problem is caused by the Intous 3's programmable buttons. My old Intous 2 didn't have that extra circuitry and it worked very well with my metal desk.

Has anybody else used an Intous 3 with a metal desk? It would be interesting to know if this is the real cause. If so, Wacom should warn people of this problem, don't you think?
    I did notice a "signal" or power difference between the two tablets. I am not sure if I'm using the correct terminology. I actually have gone through all three versions of intuos so I have had personal experience with them.

For example, the Intuos 1 would work fine in a hub, while the newer versions 2 and 3 would not. Another example, Intuos 2 near the same distance of my cell phone didn't have the same problem I mentioned before with the intuos 3.

Although I know that wireless objects do have problems with metal objects, I at first thought "well your tablet is USB and shouldn't affect it" which may be true, however your desk is metal and your stylus is wireless so that may in fact cause the jitter.

If you're not having interference with the buttons I'm going to say the theory about the metal affecting the stylus may be correct.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?...6&DISPLAY=DESC I found this article interesting because it was going into technical aspects of digitizer tablets and mentioned interference with metal objects that are too close because it disrupts the "magnets" If I remember correctly the stylus use magnets to work with the tablet.

Thanks
    Hey Fredbt,

Have you tried taking away everything not related to your computer away from the tablet. Sometimes even the screens could be causing some interference if they are close enough.

Have you tried another tablet at your exact location? Thats the only way you may rule out the possibilty that the desk is not affecting it.

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions, Arshes Nei and Brashen. If I have time today, I'm going to move the computer and monitors into the kitchen and set it up on the wooden kitchen table to see if that eliminates the pen vibrating problem.

I do seriously suspect the metal desk because the pen vibrates a little less when the tablet is laying flat on the glass top of the desk. When I move it from the glass top and slant it on the metal keyboard tray it vibrates more. However, if I move the tablet as far away from the desk as the usb cord will allow, the pen still vibrates wildly.

I don't have another tablet to test, but I used my Intous 2 with the metal desk without a problem before I gave it 2 to my granddaughter.

Now that I think about it I don't think I had a problem with the Intous 3 when I first bought it, otherwise I wouldn't have given away my Intous 2. It's hard to remember everything in sequence but I don't remember a problem at the outset of using the new tablet.

Man, this is frustrating!

Thanks
    Yes I know what you mean you just want to sit down and paint. But things go wrong with technology and you just have to find ways around it if you cant fix it. Have you tried to acquire another intuos 3?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    Yes I know what you mean you just want to sit down and paint. But things go wrong with technology and you just have to find ways around it if you cant fix it. Have you tried to acquire another intuos 3?
    Let's wait and see if the desk is the issue. As he also stated, he said he tried it on another pc (iirc laptop) and encountered no such issue.

Thanks
    Let's wait and see if the desk is the issue. As he also stated, he said he tried it on another pc (iirc laptop) and encountered no such issue.
    Yes but my intentions were for him to use another intuos 3 on the same desk. If it starts to jitter erratically then I guess it would be the desk. If not then a whole lot of other tests shall come into place!!