no time+decreased returns on time investment= declining quality of work

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation no time+decreased returns on time investment= declining quality of work

Hello all! Here's the facts, I've been in digital art for 6 years now or so, but my progress and growth stopped about 3 and a half years ago, when I started coloring comics. I look back at the work I did before that and it wasn't necessarily better, but the amount of growth I achieved before starting comic coloring was greater than what I am experiencing now (which is a regression).

http://www.shadowlandsonline.com
    yes, my gallery is a DevArt gallery... now you see how drastic this situation is.

Much of this has to do with the fact that I don't have time to surf art forums anymore these days and network and critique and build my skills like I used to, but it also has to do with a general malaise I've let creep into my outlook on my work. Perhaps from rushing pages to meet coloring deadlines and allowing bad practices and lazy rendering to enter my routine.

Here's what I need to hear, I need to hear tangible areas to focus on for improvement. I'm trapped in a shell and can no longer look at my work and see what areas I need improvement on. I invite open brutality and ripping apart of any techniques that I have allowed myself to lazily fall into, or patterns or ruts that you see or other general hindrances to my development. I want to know where to focus to improve because the gray area of satisfaction with my work is depressing and discouraging.
    Lastly, HELP! ...and I love and respect you all.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shadowlandsonline; October 8th, 2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added image(s)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me likey overall.

What specifically are you frustrated with?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the lack of growth I'm experiencing as a result of not having time to come to forums as much and network and improve... Life has gotten busy and I'm forced to choose investing time on my work, or spending time with my family, because all the other time is spent working to pay bills. I guess I feel trapped if I can't break out and make my portfolio really shine over the next year or so to land a job doing illustration...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what do you think is wrong? your style is really cool. some of those pieces are wonderful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks very cool!...love the color work too, do you use a graphic tablet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, so are you asking what you can improve to become an illustrator and not a better colorist, or what have you? Okay...

Anatomy. Your heads are too big for your bodies, necks too small, and torsos too short. Some variation in character facial designs and bodies would be nice too. It also looks like you don't have complete mastery over positioning facial features, so studying structure should help.

Overall I don't see a whole lot of "illustration" pieces in your gallery. Some caricature portraits, some commissions, some very simple character portraits...where are the ILLUSTRATIONS like the "Amazing Fantasy" piece?

I'm also confused about the presentation of your "portfolio." I could care less that it's your DA page, but if I click on a "PORTFOLIO" link as an art director, I would expect to be taken straight to your best work for the job you want, not a page of everything plus journals, favorites and comments. Create a "collection" within your DA gallery and put all your illustration portfolio-worthy stuff in it. Link directly to that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi shadow, i am a complete novice as far as art capabilities go. however one thing that stands out to me is that you have been working in production line style.

that is:
    one medium
    one style [cartoon/comics]
    one job

My first and only suggestion is to sit down and do art away from the computer. You said you have a family, if you have children [didn't mention] then buy a box of crayons and a ream of paper and sit down with them and enjoy your family. If i was wrong in that assumption, apologies. then it would be buy some pastels/paints/pencils/charcoal and some paper/canvas/ply board/whatever and throw something on it.[even sculpting]

as far as content, it seems to me that you have stayed in one genre and not improved because you have started working and rushing and stopped adding language to your artistic vocabulary. so start art fresh [love art for that very reason] in a different medium and different topic of study.

something i think will help you more than what i wrote it's a back to basics FAQ, helped me and others on this forum a fair bit going by their reactions.

enjoy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Revolver For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1