Artist and Discouraged. Where to go from here?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Artist and Discouraged. Where to go from here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Artist and Discouraged. Where to go from here?

I am a 19 year old student, attending community college and is rather discouraged. All my friends had went off to art school after highschool and I couldn't pursue my dream of going to art school because my family cannot financially support me going to art school.

I was wondering if there are any affordable (but good) art schools to look into? I would really appreciate your help.

And i was wondering what i should study into? I wanted to study illustration but friends convinced me that i should study graphic design. D: Truthfully i want to look into becoming a conceptual artist.

Reference for some my work:
    Few pieces from portfolio, I have more, just havent posted them up yet.
    http://juongie.deviantart.com/gallery/#_browse/scraps

Cartoony, (non) fine art drawings.
    http://juongie.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by Hyung; October 8th, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add detail
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a part of me that hears "I've been left behind" in your post.

But I don't see it as being left behind. You just chose a slightly different route to attending art school. What's wrong with taking some classes at the nearby community college (just make sure they all transfer over to the eventual college you do want to go to though)? Just because you didn't jump right out of high school and into an art school doesn't mean you've given up on the dream of going to art school, does it?

It also brings up the question of how do you know you really couldn't afford to go to the nearby art school? Did you at least apply and see what sort of scholarships, grants and other forms of financial aid were available? Just because a school lists their tuition costs (or as Elwell so eloquently put in another thread- their "retail price")- it doesn't take into consideration all of the other monies that might be available to help offset that cost. It's one thing if you've applied, the institution grants you scholarship money, the feds give you grant money and THEN you do the math and find out it's beyond your means. And what about loans? Talk to the school's Financial Aid officers- see what they can do to help you out in all of this. It's their job to help you into the school by finding resources.

And no offense to your friends, but what is it about your portfolio that makes them think you should be a graphic designer? Are they any more qualified to make that call than you are at this point of the game? Unless there's something grievously slanted in your portfolio towards graphic design, I'd ask for other more informed opinions about your chances to becoming a concept artist. Again- this is something you might need to go talk to the Illustration Department chair at the nearby college to see about your chances- even if you're not enrolled there just yet.

As far as those links, are those images yours or are they reference for you to draw from?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a look at Max the Mutt. We are located in Toronto, which is very close to you. I'm the Director and this site's protocol prevents me from saying much more, but we are very affordable and have a concept art diploma program.

I've looked at your work and think you have the potential to become a concept artist. If you can, come and visit the school.

We have a thread on this forum- post if you have questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your path sounds similar to mine. My "arty" friends all easily enough went off to "real" art schools and I went to community college for 3 years, for pretty much the same reason you did.

As far as being an illustrator, it looks like from your deviantart stuff that you have some sweet drawings, the only thing I'm wondering is how much is your own character design or a copy of a photo. It seems like you are rendering a lot of other people's characters.

I'm planning on attending the Academy of Art University next semester, and comparitively to other private institutions, it seems like its one of the cheaper ones. Not the best about financial aid or scholarships though. Also, look into public universities. They are almost always cheaper and some of them have fairly good illustration programs.

The sooner you look into all your options, the better off you'll be. Do your FASFA too if you havent (if you're in the U.S.).

As far as your friends telling you what you should major in, pursue what you love! You'll have more satisfaction tending to something you love than something that seems okay. I wish you the best of luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.