Pinup WiP
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Pinup WiP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pinup WiP

I've let some other projects take a backseat while I've been studying hand anatomy lately, so to blow off some steam I started a quick pinup painting that I would like to take to a complete finish. Basically it's a more modern nurse pinup riding a rocket, zooming away from a planet earth that is going to have a small mushroom cloud coming off the far edge of the planet. I forgot to include the background area layer that I sketched in, so I'll update it with that tomorrow.

Right now, asides from the general anatomy that I've changed about five times already, I can't get the face to look quite right for the facial posing that I need, and the references I have... just don't help that much. I'll include those with the update tomorrow w/ background.

Order of progress, Top to bottom (of course).

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Beezs; October 14th, 2008 at 07:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Beez, nice to meetcha.

One of the problems with your face may be that the features are way too big.
    (slightly oversized eyes can add to the 'cute' factor, over sized noses and mouths are generally not considered attractive.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shrink the facial features, will make note of that when I'm able to work on it a bit more tomorrow. Thanks for the input Minigoth.

The third pic in the main post is the update, I had 30 minutes or so to do something, so I made the cheek along the neck a bit more rounded, it felt a bit squared off compared to the previous render. I curved the bridge of the nose in a bit more to free up some space around the right eye (left in the pic), and pulled her chin a bit further inward. Also, I'm seeing that I'm going to have to dial back some of the background colors, since they are taking a bit away from the focus.

More tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another quick round of time to work on it, less than an hour I had sad to say.

However, I changed the background a bit to a different perspective of the earth, and going along with Minigoth's advice, I shrunk her facial features a bit and retooled her eyes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nurse + Rocket..... I'm not quite getting the connection here

You say you're doing hand studies, so why not show off what you've recently learned with this piece? Hiding them only shows a fear of drawing them.

TBH, I couldn't tell that any reference was used for this at all. Would you mind posting your references?

The image is very right heavy - the figure is uncomfortably close to the canvas edge.

This might be just me, but I see pin-ups as being more playful as opposed to nuclear armageddon, you know?

Don't delay drawing in the feet.

Use perspective lines to construct the rocket, it looks very lopsided as of now.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.