Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Russia Buys Iceland

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts

Russia Buys Iceland

well, not really...but:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27065178/

the situation is approaching absurdity.
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Dang, that sucks, and Iceland was one of the places I thought would be safe to move to if America went to shit. Oh well.

Thanks
    why does everyone keep fooling me I click in the thread and then the topic doesnt truly hold up to the title im telling on you!!
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert.B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ironically my plan is China, Korea, or Japan. If I were to go to Europe it would be Amsterdam (for a while)...
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    That's interesting news considering the oil sources in dispute around the North Pole. I'd presume this means that Iceland would relinquish its claims, should the loan go through.
    -My work can be found at my local directory thread.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    bearing in mind that iceland has no military force whatsoever and is a nato country, this will most likely be a step by step show of russian economic / political / military force if it goes through.
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Yeah, this has really not been a good day for us. First I get a cold, now we're turning into a Russian suburbia?

But in all seriousness, things are getting pretty fucked up here.

However, I do believe that the loan from Russia hasn't gone through completely, yet. The news of them 'buying' us have been exaggerated somewhat Norway has also stepped forward and offered to help us out, even though we didn't ask. Such kindness.

But we certainly need the help, we're facing bankruptcy if we don't do something fast. These really aren't happy times.
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Thanked 5,854 Times in 3,958 Posts
    I hope you take Norway’s offer because I’d hate to read the small print of the loan from Russia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AsaB View Post
    Yeah, this has really not been a good day for us. First I get a cold, now we're turning into a Russian suburbia?

But in all seriousness, things are getting pretty fucked up here.

However, I do believe that the loan from Russia hasn't gone through completely, yet. The news of them 'buying' us have been exaggerated somewhat Norway has also stepped forward and offered to help us out, even though we didn't ask. Such kindness.

But we certainly need the help, we're facing bankruptcy if we don't do something fast. These really aren't happy times.
    Please take Norway's offer, that way I can keep you guys on my fallback plan for when the US goes bankrupt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    I agree, I'd prefer to be in debt to Norway. The amount of money Russia's offering to loan is freaking huge, $5.4 billion, it's going to take forever and some to repay that. Not a happy luggage to the next generations! And being on their bad side on pay day is not somehing I'd want anyone to experience.

However, I saw that Norway's loan is 'only' about 1/8 of the sum Russia's offering. From what I've heard, that's probably not enough. So I don't know what they'll end up doing, but so far, no decision has been taken regarding the loan.

Heh, a rumour is going on here about Norway's sudden kindness. So they've already got Russia to the East and also to the North. If Russia'd loan us, Norway'd be facing Russian territory to the West as well! So they hurried up and offered us a hand to prevent that :p (Does kinda make sense, don't it..?)

Peter, realistically speaking, I'm afraid you're going to need to pick another country for your fallback plan Honestly, no matter from whom we get the loan from, difficult times are ahead. So I heard the Faroe Islands are doing pretty swell!
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AsaB View Post
    I agree, I'd prefer to be in debt to Norway. The amount of money Russia's offering to loan is freaking huge, $5.4 billion, it's going to take forever and some to repay that. Not a happy luggage to the next generations! And being on their bad side on pay day is not somehing I'd want anyone to experience.

However, I saw that Norway's loan is 'only' about 1/8 of the sum Russia's offering. From what I've heard, that's probably not enough. So I don't know what they'll end up doing, but so far, no decision has been taken regarding the loan.

Heh, a rumour is going on here about Norway's sudden kindness. So they've already got Russia to the East and also to the North. If Russia'd loan us, Norway'd be facing Russian territory to the West as well! So they hurried up and offered us a hand to prevent that :p (Does kinda make sense, don't it..?)

Peter, realistically speaking, I'm afraid you're going to need to pick another country for your fallback plan Honestly, no matter from whom we get the loan from, difficult times are ahead. So I heard the Faroe Islands are doing pretty swell!
    Well, I liked Iceland because in terms of power and such you guys seem to have an abundant supply of geothermal, which means a gas crunch won't hurt you as much. Also, I'm fascinated by Iceland historically/culturally speaking; you've got the closest language in existance to the old Viking languages, and there is something charming about a country that was named "Iceland" so as to try and convince people to move to "Greenland."

I've also considered moving to other parts of Europe (I speak German passably well and Switzerland seems independant enough that they might hold up even if America and the EU crashes. Though considering how well they can seel off their country to the outside world the thought of a mass refugee influx might cause them to shut off their borders.)

Asia would be a consideration, but Japan doesn't seem culturally to be the type of country to take to kindly to immigration, and anywhere else I'd be worried about China (or N. Korea if I were in S. Korea) taking over in a world where the Western powers are too busy with their own problems to do anything about it.

Faroe Islands you say? I'll have to look into that.

edit: oooh, after some research those faroe Islands seem pretty cool! Out of curriosity, how close is the Faroese language to Icelandic? I see now that both come from Old Norse, but are they similar enough that people from Iceland can understand Faroese?
    Last edited by Peter Coene; October 8th, 2008 at 06:51 AM.

Thanks
    The best had probably been if more nordic countries threw themselves on it, since Glitnir and Kaupthing is represented in most of the countries I think? At least they are here in Norway, so it's a natural thing to do.

If you could take what we could offer, and THEN got some more offers from, say Sweden or Finland, it would help out. I don't think Denmark is in a position to help out right now, they're too busy with their own banks?

It's kinda funny though, I think Iceland must be the only country in the world where the banks have been so successful that their money is nine times more than their own countrys BNP... Which is of course how this could happen in the first place :/

But at least the Icelandic Krone is frozen now, right? That means that you exchange the valuta in the banks to € or something similar as fast as possible so your capital doesn't plummet....

---

And yeah. Imagine Norway quarrel with Russia about fishing quotas and sea borders if they're heavily behind Iceland as well... *lol*

Edit: And Peter.... Norwegian is the language that seems to be in the middle of everything. I can read and understand all the Scandinavian/Nordic languages except Finnish which is not related..... People from Iceland just has to speak a little slower than Swedes and Danes... And people from the Faraoes usually speaks Norwegian, Icelandic or Danish as well, I think. Most people I've met from there speaks passable Norwegian, at least.
    Last edited by Sorknes; October 8th, 2008 at 07:21 AM.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    "Though considering how well they can seel off their country to the outside world the thought of a mass refugee influx might cause them to shut off their borders."

See, now that's you thinking like an American.

I met a slovak architect (the one who's designing my house), and he had a story to tell. He fled Slovakia back in the sixties, when the Russians invaded. He went to Switzerland as a refugee with his family, and didn't speak any other language. They took him and a bunch of other Slovaks in, fed him, and found him a place to stay in a small village, and even found him work as an architect. He then learned French, Italian, Spanish, and English, went on to travel the world, and then came back here once Slovakia gained independence.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast