"Stupid" question about draw learning...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: "Stupid" question about draw learning...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

"Stupid" question about draw learning...

First, sorry for my "bad english"; i'm only 16 and i'm french...

I had just a question because i'm working a lot in order to maybe, someday have skills like you! But... I don't have money to pay an art school or something like that (love France -.-; you are oblige to find a work and you have no chance to become a professional artist... so i have to work at school in order to...live simply ^^); so, I work about 3hours a week on "realistic drawing" but the rest of the time I imagine comic book character... (this is my boring life, i know).

But my question is... Does i have to work a lot in "realism" in order to be a good artist?
    Or, can i draw what i want (with a bit of realism ^^), and with this way Will I be good in drawing in general?

Again: sorry for my bad language, and thanks for answer... See you online

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!!

Interesting question! From my experience, I think you would benefit a lot if you know more about how to draw the real thing as accurately as you can. Draw what you see, how you see it, the best that you can! That's great practice! Yeah, sometimes you need to draw more realistic looking stuff, but it's really helpful and will make you better at what you do!

When you work on your art, though, for fun or anything else, you can use whatever style you want to, really!! And it'll be good to practice to use what you learned with your style.

I hope this helps!! I think your English is good!! Hopefully others can give you more detail because I'm short on time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the longer you spend practicing 'realistic' art and the stronger you get in the foundations ( perspective, anatomy ,composition etc etc ) the stronger and more well-rounded you will become as an artist in 'whatever style' you choose to pick up on.

Most people develop a style due working on 'realism' for very long and due to that picking up all kinds of stuff that would define a style... If you're interested in comics.. thats what your stuff will lean towards! its always like that I think. And don't worry about artschools dude... they are all douchebags anyways showing you how to paint paintsy-fancy-pink-shit-thats-thrown-on-a-canvas-in-hurry- to make-some-cash!!
    ( Lol, this coming from a guy who got rejected from artschool and can't get into a real one due to that 'age' matters.. hehe )

I think working on your art for around 40 to 80 hours a week is some kind of 'unlimited' time spent to improve that will certainly get you somewhere.

I started out with 1 hour a day.. then 2 hours.. then 4 hours and so on.. now i'm basically trying to draw any wake time I have..

so yeah.. stick to it man.. do a lot of studies.. it helps for routine, visual library and to learn all that foundation stuff...

also... START A SKETCHBOOK :]

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Learning to draw realistically gives you a library to call upon when needed. That, gun, glass, building etc have to be believable even in comics.

If you can draw realistically (and that definition can be fairly loose), you can draw what you need when you need it. That's the main reason to practice - to have all the tools at your disposal when you need them.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    make the passion and expression real, and the craft will hone itself more sharp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Learning to draw realistically gives you a library to call upon when needed. That, gun, glass, building etc have to be believable even in comics.

If you can draw realistically (and that definition can be fairly loose), you can draw what you need when you need it. That's the main reason to practice - to have all the tools at your disposal when you need them.

Basically. A lot of artists don't realize how important this is, especially people who suddenly decide they want to pursue a career in art. Draw what interests you. Right now I'm trying to work on my human anatomy because I enjoy drawing people. Just take it one step at a time. And above all, make sure you do it with love :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, thanks a lot for all advices you have given to me; I think I will do what Dile has suggested... start a sketchbook =)

A last thing: if you can correct my f**king bad english, it will help me a lot X)

Thanks for all guys

See you online

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.