Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 15--The Messenger

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    Yay. Lot's of comics for this edition . Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi View Post
    I am extremely influenced by Niheisan when it comes to manga... T_T
    I'm a big fan of Nihei too. His comic don't even need much story beacause those moody megastructures are enough for me. As an architecture student I share similar fascinations. I wouldn't mind doing some Blame fan-art too once in a while .

arttorney - Thanks. I'm capable of doing more realistic art. However when I went that direction for comics, I struggled with anatomy and perspective while the whole story (which should be top priority) didn't work out. More graphical style made it much simplier to control. I want to start from the bottom instead of doing something too hard.
    Last edited by Farvus; October 27th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The people are the hardest part for me too. Luckily, there are a lot of styles that can work for sequential art.

I'm really glad we had such a good turnout this time and therefore a lot of different styles to look at. I think doing one with just two values is difficult and daring.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    arttorney - Yeah. To me keeping faces consistent in realistic comic is the hardest thing. I always wondered how some comic artists do this and I found out that it can be helpful to make a clay models of main characters. This way you can draw as loosely as you can beacause it's mostly life drawing.

So today I found some cool freeware program Looxis Faceworx that can make 3d model of face from two 2d images - front and side. It's supposed to work for photos but I painted quickly one face and model from that turned out pretty good. HERE is result of my test. Not super accurate but I think it's enough for reference. I also tried opening it in Sketchup to see light and shadow. I used Sketchup OBJ importer plugin and this face like this - HERE.

Sorry for small off topic but I think it's good place to share it. Might be helpful for somebody.
    Last edited by Farvus; October 28th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That thing looks great. It requires the Windows XP that I used to have (but no longer). Luckily, the strategy of roughing out my panels then taking photo prints of my brother in those poses seems to have resulted in a more realistic character than my usual drivel. Almost everybody I know is a Chinese-American, though, so if I keep doing that my panels will take on a much more Asian feel. (My secretary was pleased to pose for that one scene but I accidentally made her look fat.)

It looks like there may be a linux version of Sketchup out there, but I would have to recompile the tarball so I'll probably stick to figuring out the 3d tool of my OpenOffice

Edit: I'm thinking about building a template with all those hatching patterns I can find in various layers that can be hidden unless I use them, and then just use the eraser tool to remove the hatching from all the parts of the scene where it is not supposed to be on those hatching layer(s) that I actually use. Does this sound like a plan or is it cumbersome? It's just a kind of negative painting approach.
    Last edited by arttorney; October 28th, 2008 at 09:34 AM.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Arttorney, I've been trying to work out a couple of different ways to do hatching on the machine myself, especially for people who don't have a vector program, so I'll hopefully have a couple of ideas, too. Your idea operates exactly the way old fashioned sheets worked, where you laid down a film and then scratched or cut out the parts you didn't want. I'm thinking, if what I have in mind works, we might be able to create a library of "hatching sheets" or even "brushes" that anyone can use, no matter what app they're using.

Poll for Challenge 15 will be up later today. It's going to take me a while to get all the entries ID'd and sorted for upload. ...lots of entries--what a bummer...

Thanks
    I'll focus on learning good import/export practices for now and try to get good scans of some patterns I have on the traditional sheets.

Thanks
    Interesting, I am actually using very large cross-hatching brushes that I made myself once in Photshop. They work pretty well and can save a lot of time. Admittedly look a little too precise, but I made a couple with varying density.
    Combining with screentones they make a good addition to your comics.
    --(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Redfrog: digitally inked? what program do you use for that? beautifully done.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergaloth View Post
    Redfrog: digitally inked? what program do you use for that? beautifully done.
    Hey Zergaloth,

Yeah its all digitally inked. Done from start to finish completely in Photoshop.

Hoping to finish the final 2 pages in the next day or so but i have a life drawing class after work tonite so its gonna have to be tomorrow.
    Craig Bruyn
    Concept Artist / Toy Designer
    Melbourne Australia

My Sketch Thread

My Blog

Thanks
    Finally got a chance to go back and work these pages a bit more. Want to do P.O.W 16 as well so that will take precedence. Have added halftone effects to pages 1 and 2 and should have 3 and 4 inked soon.
    Craig Bruyn
    Concept Artist / Toy Designer
    Melbourne Australia

My Sketch Thread

My Blog

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7