Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 15--The Messenger

P.O.W.! Challenge 15
    Deadline: Sunday, October 26, 2008, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: The Messenger

We're back to comics, and this one was inspired by a post that Arttorney made in the "Words before art" section. His suggestion involved a bike messenger, but I've purposely left out the word "bike" to widen the possibilities a bit. His original post is below for your reference. You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a tentative maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

P.O.W.! Challenge 16 will be posted before Sunday Midnight, October 26, 2008.

SPLIT

One idea I had back when I rode a lot was future noir story that focused a little more into bike art, like in the early going of Akira before it went all hocus pocus and giant blob oriented.

Lane splitting is allowed in California. For those not in the know, that means you can ride your bike between the rows of cars along the dotted lines. It's kind of maniac behavior but can really get the adrenaline going.

Many attorney services exist in the large urban areas which hire bikers or bicyclists as messengers because of their increased abilities to beat traffic jams (and deal with gas prices).

How does this all come together? Well supposing a couple of bike messengers are having lunch down town after their pickups or deliveries and they get their bags crossed. Then it turns out that one of them is working for the evil firm from Hell and gets killed when it turns out he no longer has the bag with the Maltese Falcon, or O.J.'s bloody clothes or whatever the hell was in there. Then the other guy finds out about this (and probably about what is in the bag he inadvertently got) just in time to start the great series of chase escapades and meeting all the cyberpunk weirdos who might be able to help him somehow (or might betray him, who knows). Ramble Ramble Ramble.

What's in the bag? It's got to be something incredible to drive the story arc onward into ever more hair raising escapades. What kind of characters does our hero know that he might be able to go to (for change of identity documents, or to tell him what the hell the thing in the bag is). What are the inevitable assassins like?

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...

A lot of people posted "O'BOY!" comments when this idea was originally announced, but the actual involvement by the membership has been rather abysmal. We have five or six steady people who really put their hearts into doing (or trying to do) something every single Challenge (or at least as often as they can), but it's getting to the point where I'm going to start thinking about closing down this section. Making happy noises and promises is one thing--actually doing something is another. If there doesn't seem to be any interest over the next few challenges, I'm going to assume this is a waste of time, and close it down so somebody with a better idea can get a chance in here.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Ilaekae.

@ other folks: It looks like you gotta use it or it falls off. Next thing you know, we'll have Furniture Assembly Instructions of the Week (FAIOW) or Can Label of the Week (CLOW). At least in here we can have fun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd hate to see this section closed down, Ive missed 2 deadlines for this coz of silly ol work and I think it's a cool challenge area...and to be replaced by CLOW instead would be horrible, I'm in for this for this round....oh and a side note that was a cool idea for having a writer supply a script to draw to for "The Otherside"

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K here is the begining of the story i've come up with, pardon my poo spelling.

Opening - Inside a labratory - Present Day

Group of scientists in discussion over a ordinary looking man they are watching in a containment room through a digital two way mirror.

"Good Morning Sarah" the man says

"How does he know we are here, can he here us?" One of the scientists leans over and whispers.

"Sssh" Another replies.

Sarah reaches over and hits the intercom button.

"Good morning John, how did you know I was here?"she asks worridly

A smirk cross over Johns face

"You would be suprised of what we know." "And we have a little proposition for you"

Sarach quickly switches of the intercom with her trembling hand

"oh my god, he is infected."

Thats all I got so far, the idea is john has been infected with some nifty Nano-bots and john aint john any longer and boy does he have plans for them.
    Any tips of crits would be great, especially with writing as I'm more a picture person myself, trying to keep the story basic but interesting...just wanna get onto the drawing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to AhChu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yahaaa

Don't close it down old cat! I have been awol for a bit but I'll throw in some garbage! It'll be just like old times. You'll never get me to shut up now!!! Bwah hah hah hah etc...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chance. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    !!! A New Challenger Approaches !!!
    Ditto

Name:  demo.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  33.3 KB

(on topic, does it have to be attorney's brief, or can any messenger running with important news/package theme be good enough?)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arttorney's story line is just where the idea came from. You can use it if you want, or go in an entirely different direction, as long as it involves a messenger as the main character.

I'm having flashbacks to one messenger I used back in the 80's that had the most incredible body and a passion for skin-tight Lycra outfits. That chick caused more wrecks while on her bike than any drunk driver that ever existed.

I think I'll use her in my attempt if I can work it out.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think my idea would be hard to do anything with in six pages so I was going to style mine as "Chapter One" anyway.

The current title reminded me of "The Messenger" a song on My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Eno/Byrne. [Edit: Actually it's "The Carrier" so once again I only think I know what I'm talking about] There are an awful lot of ways "The Messenger" can go if your imagination runs a little wild.

Last edited by arttorney; October 10th, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Don't know what I'm talking about

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Man am I ever a pussy. Well I don't think I'm going to be finishing this since I realized that I HATE comics (reading and drawing) so... yeah .... sorry

Last edited by Jason Rainville; October 11th, 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sonna bitch am in!!!

About time i get back to P.O.W

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Messenger

First timer here. Thought I'd try my hand. I've always been interested, but it's hard to find the time. Anyway, here's a WiP from page 1.

Crits?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cheers!

"Artists should always think of themselves as cosmic instruments for storytelling."
    -Ted Lange

Find me on the web:
    Portfolio
    DeviantART
    Facebook
    Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in...

I hope this challenge continues...but the last challenge really wasn't my cuppa fun.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LogicINK I like the outdoorsy colors and the shadow of the guy's bike and of him, though rudimentary at this stage, are already giving him a three dimensionality as though he is riding out of the page. Good sense of action.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I won't participate...

(that is my lame attempt at reverse psychology)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok all finish and updated

Last edited by SalOnimaruRem; October 21st, 2008 at 08:32 PM.

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoah! Whoah! Whoah! WHOAH!

What's this I've been hearing about closing this section down!? Count me in as a faithful follower

Sorry I haven't entered any challenges recently, my internet connection was switched off for a month whilst I changed suppliers (damn you BT!)

Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i finished writing the comic.

...its over 3800 words long though, so it'll be interesting to chop it down to a workable length for 6 pages.

getting some character design sketches done now (and neglecting my university work huzzah!)

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "......its over 3800 words long though..."

Does your mother let you out alone at any time, and if so, how do you find your way home?

What the fuck is there about a messenger that would require 3800 words?!!?! I could rewrite the Origin of the Species in fewer words...

...and I got mine started. My bike messenger has huge boobs, sounds and acts like Dennis Hopper, and there's an alien rock band in it.

Last edited by Ilaekae; October 11th, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More WiPs

So, I've apparently committed to a messenger running from zombies. In my professional work, I'm production designing a horror flick and I think I have zombies on the brain. lol

Anyway, another WiP from page 1 and a first pass at page 2. These are incredibly rough. I hope I have the time to finish 'em before the deadline.

I'm excited to see what you all have cooking

Arttorney - Thanks! I'm glad you like that shot. Something feels awkward about the placement of the arm and the zombie that's been decapitated....not sure how to fix that yet...

Oni Rem - That's one bad@$$ rider. I love your clean lines. I'm too damn heavy handed. I get frustrated unless I use velum as an overlay. Anyway, I like your story beats and I like seeing the creature run before we get the reveal of what he's running from. However, he feels detached from his environment in that shot. I doodled a quick little thing (I hope that's not rude) that might help the rhythm and detachment issue.

Frame 1: Creature at perch or in field or whatever looks up--something's caught its attention & we get to see a bit of the area around him: all appears well.

Frame 2: Close up: FEAR. Something wicked this way comes

Frame 3: Creature moves through/backwards through the shot in a manner that creates some distance/depth.

Frame 4: reveal/pay-off

What I think this does is earn you your reveal a bit more. The beats are there already: creature looks around; creature sees something and is afraid; creature runs; reveal. But I think having a beat where we get to see a bit of the environment/surrounding area that this creature inhabits before jumping into a close-up to capture the fear allows for a bit more build to your reveal.

Anyway, take it as you will. Just my gut instinct when I saw your page. Great rendering, by the way. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Without further ado, my WiPs:

Cheers!

"Artists should always think of themselves as cosmic instruments for storytelling."
    -Ted Lange

Find me on the web:
    Portfolio
    DeviantART
    Facebook
    Twitter

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LogicINK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx logic i see wat you mean
    That makes a lot of sense!!!
    after i have finish all the rest and i have time left i will try to change it to that =)))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Even more WiPs

More WiPs! Still looking for crits!

Three pages is all I think I'll be able to manage by tomorrow night with work and all. But I like the sequence. The final panel will have a word balloon that says something like "We got your message" or something like that to tie it further into the prompt.

Anyway, critique away! I'll try to get some more time in on these later today.

Cheers!

Cheers!

-Ted Lange

Find me on the web:
    Portfolio
    DeviantART
    Facebook
    Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay posting the story wasn't working.....

so the story is attached. download it if you need a good laugh in pathetic prose.

it hasnt been edited, and needs to be adapted from short fiction into a more workable format for comics, so a lot of the descriptions and inner thoughts of the protagonist will be done with visuals.

[edit] also my sketchbook has a few sketches of the characters on the latest page, if anyone wants to see how thats coming along.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Grief; October 12th, 2008 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little character sketch for my protagonist that somehow has merged into a front cover... no idea how that happened.

It's good to be back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Come on, Jason Rainville! Give me something to believe in. There are still a couple of weeks. Take it from the guy who knows. Experimentation is allowed in here. If you hate comics, make a new form of sequential art that is not comics. (I admit nobody votes for the radical stuff, but those who don't draw don't learn.)

Oni Rem- I can see that you have been working on varying your line weights. Awesome! Don't give up.

LogicINK- This is really shaping up. I was going to have some motorcycle action in mine, and I've taken my reference photos, but it will probably prove quite tame compared to some of your X Games bicycle stunts. This is daring work. Everybody seemingly loves zombies around here too.

KMadden- Still just a start, but I know you produce very consistent quality in a very consistent style. FYI, when I was showing the POW 10 entries to a colleague who is a sophisticated appreciator or sequential art and he said you were pretty clearly working at a pro level. I would say that your style won't work for every editor but those who like it will like it a lot.

Grief- You are a pretty complicated guy. I can't wait to see what you draw for us.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attorney: Thanks for the endorsement. I'm just trying to remember which one POW 10 was... wait, are you talking about The Student of Prague? Aw, man, even I think that wasn't my best work! Nah, I'm really trying to up my game for this one (both as a writer and an artist).

Once again, thanks for the thumbs up, and good luck with your entry.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Eh up! - this is my first go at a P.O.W...

...I've tried to stick loosely to the original idea. It wasn't going to be as cartoony as it turned out, but hey sometimes you just gotta go with it...
    Crits highly welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face I'm doing my part!

First post ever here! I don't want that topic to sink!

I loosely adapt the story line, I hope you like it!

Sorry guys, I'm not going to make it on this one, hope i have the chance to spare some time on a other POW! next time.

Cheers!

Last edited by D.Carles; October 28th, 2008 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can count me in. makes me a first timer too. but im hoping i can swing a pretty good one. since the zombies have been taken im going post apoc. i wanna see if i can do this every time there i one of these i keep the story going. see if we cant keep up our established character s

laugh it up fuzzball

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's getting crowded in here. That's cool. There's about ten days left and I got my damned taxes out of the way. Looks like I'll have to finish up my pencils this weekend and ink the early part of next week. I have been hoping to image it and see if I can color digitally so it will be nice and deluxe.

Looks Like I'll have to step up my game a little bit with some of these other efforts I am seeing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.