Sketchbook: kikindaface is learning to draw !
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: kikindaface is learning to draw !

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face kikindaface is learning to draw !

NEW STUFF ON THE LAST PAGE !!!

Hi. Its been a while that I'm on conceptart.org, and I think it's time for me to start a Sketchbook. So a short introduction :
    My name is Walid, i'm 19 years old, and I live in Strasbourg, France. I wanna be a concept artist

New presentation ^^ : I'm Walid Dala, aka Kikindaface. I'm 21, coming from Strasbourg, Northern France, but currently living at Lyon, in order to study at Emile cohl art school ! My goal is to become a character/ industrial designer, as well as illustrator , more into science fiction than fantasy ( but i like both of them ^^ )

So I start with posemaniacs 60 seconds

And my first selfportrait I made a few days ago

And sorry for my scanner and my English, which are both sucking
    And of course, Critics and Comments are Welcome !!!t

Last edited by kikindaface; July 25th, 2012 at 03:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like you got a busy year planned... if the rest of your skills are as good as your still lifes up there, you'll def be one to watch. Keep posting and welcome to ca.org ;-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great digital paintings and you're on the right path copying Bridgman. Only thing I can give critique about is your lines (especially on the posemaniac poses) - you seem to construct them of many short strokes when a single sweep would do. Try some blind contours or whatever sketching without lifting the tip from paper. Very life-like SP and spoon painting, keep 'em all coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smuli View Post
    Great digital paintings and you're on the right path copying Bridgman. Only thing I can give critique about is your lines (especially on the posemaniac poses) - you seem to construct them of many short strokes when a single sweep would do. Try some blind contours or whatever sketching without lifting the tip from paper. Very life-like SP and spoon painting, keep 'em all coming!
    Thanks for dropping by my SB, listen to this guy, it's exactly what you need!

Put your pencil down, and draw the whole image without lifting it up. It doesn't make pretty drawings, but it trains you not to make everything you draw look like a fuzzy bear!

The sunglasses are great, Keep practicing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, pretty cool studies, particularly like the eyes. Great CG, too, haha, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    RandAlThor : Yeah, really busy year, hope that I could do all I've planned

smuli : Thanks for your advice, but yeah, for 2 weeks, I haven't improved on posemaniacs, because I think more in muscle and in part of the body that on masses, on lines, and today, the fact to make just one stroke help me to be more concentrated on line, so I think I will improve with practice

K-bot : Thanks man !

Shalite : Thanks ! yeah, the eye is what I what I draw the best, but nozes i make are sucking, need to do more faces studies !!!

So ther is what I've made today

1 hour daily posemaniac ( with the less strock a can do)

Some life drawing

And Bridgman studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Walid!

The Bridgman and digital studies are coming along nicely. Keep it up man

Doing short studies from Posemaniacs does seem like a sound idea. I think that it might be better to focus on proportions with 60 second drawings than the entire contour. Simplify the limbs and spine if need be. Try to establish a sense of rhythm to the poses as well.

Have you been to any life drawing classes yet?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have the same bridgman book and am trying to do studies but if i mess up a little i end up taking 20 mins on a quick sketch.
    anyways great stuff

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Radon_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havoc-DM : thanks man ! yeah, for posemaniacs, i've allready seen it into others sketchbooks, and I'll try it, maybe I'l make the half of poses focus on proportions and the other half on lines, will try it, thanks

Radon_ : thanks, sometimes it happens to me too but the most important is to understand anatomy and to know how to apply it

So today, I've been too busy, I've just made 2 rough digital paintings, which are sucking, My goal here was just to train my mental color picking. I've some trouble with highlights, when I paint this , it's like I've just made a color dot on my painting, it doesn't looks like highlight , and I think that I pick the correct color .... Need to make more of them

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Salut Walid! Bienvenue dans le monde merveilleux des sketchbooks!

Tes études sont pas mal! C'est très bien de commencer par le commencement! J'aime beaucoup la petite cuillère! comme critique je dirais qu'il faut que tu fasses attention à tes ellipses, sur le pot d'encre par exemple, elles sont fausses (n'ont pas toutes le même axe ni la même pers) et que dans tes peintures (digitales on est d'accord) tu perds beaucoup de tes edges (les arêtes quoi). Par exemple sur la souris ou le petit pot, le contour parait mou, car tu n'as pas gardé un volume qui tranche d'un coup sec. Par endroits ça convient mais à d'autres non. Je trouve que ça fonctionne assez bien sur la cuillère par contre. N'aies pas peur tu peux toujours "retendre" tes volumes. Assure toi que la structure est juste avant de te soucier du rendu. C'est mon avis!
    Mais tu as l'air motivé et bosseur, donc ya pas de raisons que ça ne marche pas pour toi!
    Kipiteup

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Clochette : Merci, tes conseils m'ont aidé

So here is what I've done yesterday, I've learned a lot about color/light when I read the PSG 7 tutorial, so thanks Prometheus|ANJ
    I've made posemaniacs at 30 seconds, some studies in front of the mirror , arms from mind, to apply what I've learned ( but it sucks), Bridgman studies, and a digit painting. And C&C are more than Welcome !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That, my friend is a beatiful apple
    Also nice posemaniac studies.

I cant think of any good advice but know that you thread the right path: the path of diligent study!

Cheers

Sketchbook

See the TURTLE of enormous girth!
    On his shell he holds the earth.
    His thought is slow but always kind;
    He holds us all within his mind.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Walid's Sketchbook - doing mostly studies

Thanks Gorgoleon for your comment

Here is what I've made today :

posemaniacs at 30 seconds, it's really difficult ....

Bridgman studies

Kevin Chen Demo studies

And some arms from Seth1's refs

I really have to make more digital studies, Have to improve my mental color picking

Last edited by kikindaface; October 13th, 2008 at 03:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Keep it up man, those studies are looking great!

Don't worry if you don't get the color picking right; it took me two years to get complexion and other colors down. ;] I just build palettes from photos and save them for later use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shalite : Thanks man, 2 years, that you study color, that means you've start at 11 ! You impress me, guy but yeah, the more difficult for me is metalic objects, In fact, You know, when I'm seeing a spoon, for example, I see this kind of dark grey, but when I put it in my painting, it's the wrong color, so I try a lot of different grey, but all are wrong, So it drives me crazy , you know, and it's the same thing with reflected blue sky in the spoon, I am unable to isolate this color, but I hope that with practise, I will be able to pick right colors everytime, will work hard to master color

So I've been too ill Thesday and Whenesday, that's why a was unable to draw, but now, I feel good so Here is what I've made today,

Start with posemaniacs, ..... too difficult

Life Drawing : loooove drapery, will draw more of that I have trouble with symmetrical objects .... have to draw more of that too

Some Bridgman studies

And some rough digital studies, just values this time, really usefull ( some refs are from the Idiot Apathy's episode two mentoring thread, good advices and assignments in this thread )

think I really have to focus on proportions before putting values, maybe my mistake is that I don't make any sketches of what I paint, I just put big values, and then, I try to detail figure, or object, Know that it's not the easyest way, but I love to see others artists using this process

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your life-studies are wonderful.
    I hink you should work on shape and form in traditional tools (pen and paints) just like you do now, because that will make you evolve alot.
    But your lifestudies are... wow.. I wish I could capture things like that... I need to do more from life...

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Studio Colrouphobia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studio Colrouphobia: Thanks man, your comment really motivate me I agree with you, i don't make studies in traditionnal media, and I will try to do it in charcoal ( will be difficult), and work with ink

So today, I wasn't at home, so i just made 2 digit studies, the first in half an hour and the second I didn't finished in 1 hour. I think there isn't enough contrast, need to do put more white color, yeah, dark area are good, but luminous area are a bit darker than they have to be. I will try to make good contrast next time.

Today, i was in the mentoring section, and I've seen the enviromental mentoring sub-forum, and it's awesome, I've quickly read it, and there is lot of things to learn in this thread, so I'll try to make some assignments

Last edited by kikindaface; October 17th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ***, today was a big fucking day, I had to work all day long with my father, I'm so tired, and my scanner's dead so for the moment, I'll post just digit work, and when I have a new scanner, I'll post all the traditionnal stuf that I made.

So today I've made just 2 digit studies, one value studies from Idiot Apathy's refs, and the other from life. So I'm a bit happy because I've seen a bit improvment in color, especially with the sky color reflected on objects, it was difficult to isolate that blue, but It's a bit better, so it motivates me to work harder. ***, the illness came back, it pisses me off

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, you've got really good studies here. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comment Shamandalie

So today, worked a bit, made 2 rough value studies.
    These days, I didn't work a lot, because of a lack of motivation( and because I'm naturally lazy ) , but now, I'm ok, so I'll work very harder and will make loads of studies

I'm a bit satisfied with the baby's eyes, I find them a bit expressive, mouth and noze are sucking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, you using a mouse or a tablet?
    Have some crits for you later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your interest in my sketchbook Idiot Apathy, yeah, I'm using a tablet ( which is a fucking bad tablet, a genius mousepen 6x8, but think I'll buy an intuos3 A4 soon ) Oh I think you asked me this question because it doesn't look like i'm using pressure sensitivness on my paintings . Seems I need to work on blending values and colors

Last edited by kikindaface; October 23rd, 2008 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm too happy. My aunt gave birth ,whenesday, to a little girl, who's name is Sofia
    So today, I had big issues with my tablet. Pressure sentivity has gone, and it was difficult to fix it.
    Here is what I've made today : I tried to blend shapes, to get better volumes. I'm a bit satisfied with proportions, I really improved in it since my first study. But I get too bored with the girl study, so I didn't finished the face ( some proportion's mistakes ). And of course, C&C are more than Welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that tomorrow I'll continu studying color, until I will have a new scanner, normally next week. Maybe I'll make some head studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more value studies. I'm quite happy with this one. Made in about 1h30-2 hours (Ref from Idiot Apathy's mentoring thread ). ***, I really have to kick my *** to work harder !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Impressive stuff I'm not really sure where to start with digital..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree! Very impressive studies. Your digitals are vastly improving. Those detail studies are an interesting idea. never thought about doing that digitally.
    Like you already said it's really easier to paint when you have your proportions down correctly. I spend as much time as I can discipline myself to do on the drawing but then it's really quick working because I don't have to correct so much.
    Those bridgman studies look so damn good!! Makes me want to reference you rather than the original.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, you guessed it. Seems your brushwork and blending has improved a ton since then though, really good to see. Still, looks like you are working too hard to get the edges and shapes you need. Not sure if it's the tablet or not, but might be time to invest in a new Wacom. I believe the base models (Which are still fantastic) start around $100USD. Make sure if you haven't already that your brushes are set up with opacity and flow to pen pressure. I don't usually use manual opacity but will use manual flow when needed for control.

Things to watch out for on these so far is drawing accuracy, really spend some time and hit this and nothing else - it's going to help you so much. Next is your values as well as your edges.

Anyhow, improving really fast - keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

good one dude....

just awasome... dude......inspirational work....magnificent.....wonderful....,pls visit on my thred n comenton...i m vaiting 4 yr yousful coment...nice to meet u .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mumumash : Thanks, man

DigitallyDumbfounded: Thanks girl !! it's a pleasure to hear what you said, and it really motivated me

Idiot Apathy :Thanks for the tips, I was just using opacity with pen pressure. I've add flow with pen pressure, and I've set the brush space to 25 % and now it works very well. But I think I'll upgrade my tablet to a wacom, but it will be difficult to draw in a 4x5" format. I just find the 6x8" format a bit small

bharat : Thanks dude !!

It's been a while that I didn't touched a pencil So today, bridgman studies, and a failed selfportrait ( especially the left eye which is suching, really don't know what's happened !!)

35. The Following User Says Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5