Thanks

Trying to mimic brushstrokes of certain person

And this person is George Kamitani who made graphic for 2D games, Odin Sphere and GrimGrimoire. There's a artwork which, I believe, shows clearly Kamitani's style:

Trying to mimic brushstrokes of certain person

(if it doesn't appear - link.)

The question is what you think about brushstrokes. From what I've noticed, the way color are mixing suggests it's a watercolor, so I've tried watercolor brushes in Painter X, from Watercolor and Digital Watercolor categories. Seems that New Simple Water and Simpel Water from Digital Watercolor are quite close, but that's not enough. For example, Kamitani uses rather bold brushstrokes than blending. With Simple Water, pressure decides about color saturation - if you press lightly, color is greyish. Obviously, I use stronger press, but only a non-opacity color blob appear, which doesn't blend with other colors well. I can "smear it", but it makes painting harder. I have no idea how to set saturation and opacity correlation. The Color Variability is disabled.

The another question is about drying layer. If I'm not wrong, it's impossible to make digital layer wet again - after you dry it, you can only undo. So it makes it a bit tricky. For example, you painted something, then created next layer where you put highlights with oil brush. If you collapse those two layers, the result layer will be dry - you won't paint the first layer of watercolor, like as a real watercolour do.

I've attached a parasite made with New Simple Water. I know that the painting style comes in 95% from artist itself and 5% from tools I'm practicing, but I thought it would easier to ask you about Kamitani's brushstrokes and possibilities with tweaking Digital Watercolor brush.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'm just a novice at this I'm sure there will be others that may have a better answer, but to me it looks like he is using the BASIC TINTING Brush, but set at different opacities throughout the painting, building up as he goes.

Just my take on it, but like I say I'm no expert.

Thanks
    I can't find this brush in libray. What version are you using?

Thanks
    I'm using IX, it's in the Tinting section.