Sketchbook: RAPID IMPROVEMENT must be made!!! ~*Update December 31*~

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RAPID IMPROVEMENT must be made!!! ~*Update December 31*~

Hello everyone!
    Just a high school senior trying to get as good as he can before he goes to college

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jackpot_anjr90; March 12th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a couple of characters I made up. There's another one I want to post but I have to reduce the file size for that one. But for now...
    Name:  wind-warrior.jpg
Views: 2945
Size:  64.9 KB
    Buff amazon chick XD
    Name:  woman-warrior.jpg
Views: 3104
Size:  47.5 KB

Last edited by jackpot_anjr90; October 7th, 2008 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a little something I did a few weeks ago. This is probably one of the only drawings I finished in one sitting XD
    Name:  lonely-girl.jpg
Views: 3567
Size:  52.3 KB

Last edited by jackpot_anjr90; October 7th, 2008 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA.org. I really like your first pic- the expression was captured nicely. The first set of eyes is pretty good, though I think the second few and a few other of these pics reflects a small common mistake often made in the first year or two of drawing: using lines to make forms rather than shading. Your shading seems to be just a smudge of light graphite over the skin, perhaps look at your first few eyes to get a good idea of what it should look like...? I'd suggest using deeper, bolder strokes to carve the shapes and forms out a little more, and use less 'random lines'. Other than that, you're on the right path. :] Looking forward to see more work, keep at it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Shalite! Yeah I've noticed what you mentioned about the shading. Before summer I had no sense of shadowing whatsoever since I had never done it before that...due to my long break from drawing. My scanner sucks and makes my pictures super bright so I mess with the darkness and whatnot...makes the page look yellowish but oh well lol. The reason I started studying anatomy now is to get a better feel and understanding of the human form. My weakness is clothing though. But first I'll get the hang of my anatomy and then I'll move on to clothing XD
    I'll put up some drawings later today.

Last edited by jackpot_anjr90; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my first anatomy studies. I went and labeled muscles the muscles... not sure if that's necessary at the moment but could come in handy later, yeah?
    As for the hands, I wont get into hand muscles until I finish with the arm. I can tell from looking through this book that hands will be a pain in the ass... but I went ahead and added some hand drawings with basic hand proportions I picked up.
    Name:  arm-anatomy.jpg
Views: 2878
Size:  39.0 KB
    Name:  hands-anatomy.jpg
Views: 2821
Size:  26.6 KB
    Name:  eyes-shading.jpg
Views: 3382
Size:  35.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one was made before my amazon chick. Don't like it too much but mehh...
    Name:  sythe-man.jpg
Views: 2796
Size:  120.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm already seeing improvement in that last batch of eyes! =)
    Keep working on your shading! Study other artists' work to find out how many different ways there are to create shape and form

It's great to see you studying anatomy as well! It's a pain in the ass, but that hard work gives a lot in the long run

Welcome to CA!

-M

ReviseTheMethod - DefiledVisions - wookiedabo

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
    Such a heavy burden now to be the One
    Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
    To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen... "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool concepts, but maybe you should try to give your work more contrast, deeper darks etc (maybe consider markers, or pen and ink ?)

Just a suggestion, keep up the good work ^^
    GRts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ReviseTheMethod - Thanks! It's nice to know my work is paying off. Anatomy is kind of annoying but I find myself enjoying it as I get better. I'll definitely keep up my studies XD

fullmetaljacket - You're right, I do need to work on contrast. Sometimes I'm afraid of making an error if I go too dark and it looks too flat... but I'll work on that for sure.

Okay everyone, new update! Some anatomy with skulls, the neck, and eyes (a couple noses that were half-assed too).

Name:  head_neck.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  39.1 KB
    Name:  eyes_face.jpg
Views: 2713
Size:  39.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I have that 'afraid to make a mistake' problem too, but I sort of broke out of my tight sketches and loosened up my hand. It's great to have some stuff that you won't show anyone else so you don't feel pressured to make everything look like a refined pic. Loosen up and have contour drawings and the like.

Good stuff you have here, keep it up, man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's about time I update this sucker. Been so busy lately with assignments, college applications, life in general. I've also been suffering from lack of inspiration. I guess you can call it writer's block for drawers. So here's what I've been able to get onto paper during my slump.

Been lacking originality lately, and someone mentioned that my faceless heads (like the ones I posted on this page) look like Spiderman. So I began to draw him but kinda put my own twist on him (not much of a twist though). It's not finished yet though... not sure how I'll finish it yet.
    Name:  hero.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  121.0 KB

Here are just some concepts I'm trying to put together for my next character. I think I'm sticking to the one on the last picture.
    Name:  ninja-concept1.jpg
Views: 2683
Size:  98.0 KB
    Name:  ninja-concept2.jpg
Views: 2654
Size:  181.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are looking great! I'd try to do some more completed works that have a full composition and grayscale. Maybe attend a lifedrawing class so you can do some real life figure studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emifinan- Thanks! I'll definitely be trying to do more completed works. Haven't had much time for that lately with college applications and school. As for life drawing classes I haven't taken any since the pre-college program over summer. I've been going to Central Park to draw random people I see though... pretty hard to do that without people noticing you though XD

Well National Portfolio Day is coming up this weekend here in New York and I'm pretty excited to see what college reps think of my work. I know I wont get too much one on one time but it'll still be worth it. This drawing I'm posting is far from finished but I thought since I haven't updated in a while I'd show my progression through it as it's being completed. It's pretty random. My contour lines came out super light in my scanner so I darkened the picture on my computer.

Name:  fatfloater.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  132.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by.

Your lines seem mostly very secure and clean. I agree with Shalite that the 1st picture's expression was captured very well. The flaming eyed spiderman looks cool.

It's also a bit of a relief for me to see that others experience "writer's block for drawers" too.

Keep it up! Oh, and please finish your latest work. It looks rather good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arbinn - Thanks! I'll definitely finish that last one when I have the time (it's gonna be another busy week for me).

Well today's National Portfolio Day in New York so wish me luck everyone! Hopefully I'll gain something from this event. Here's some arm anatomy I've been working on.

Name:  armanatomy.jpg
Views: 2595
Size:  52.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portfolio review went pretty well. It was incredibly packed though so I wasn't able to talk to all the schools I wanted to but it was beneficial nonetheless.
    So here's some progress I've made on this picture. It's still far from done.
    Name:  fatfloater2.jpg
Views: 2547
Size:  53.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Making slow progress on this one.
    Name:  fatfloater3.jpg
Views: 2547
Size:  69.6 KB

After talking to a rep from RISD at the portfolio review, she said observational sketches and still life pictures would help me a lot (which is out of the norm for me) so here's the first of my still life pictures. It's not done yet...hopefully it'll be done tonight. It's a piece of furniture in my house...have to include the background probably.
    Name:  still.jpg
Views: 2565
Size:  39.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thks for stopping by my thread. u pay more attention to detail then proportion...im trying to break out of tat myself so as to get the shape n form of things i draw correct before i tacle the details...u shuld try out more figure drawings for practice....keep up the gd work!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emptyvessel - Yeah you're right. Figure drawings would help and so would more anatomy studies. I'll try to get in as much of that as I can (after tomorrow it should be easier for me to do that).

So here's the end product of my furniture drawing. I may or may not add to it... I'm a bit tired now.

Name:  still.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  54.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I just gandered at your sketchbook and it looks like you are improving. The couch looks like it turned out pretty well, exhibiting good perspective. The detail in the upholstery is a nice touch too. Some things that could improve it would be to show greater value in the furniture. The cast shadow beneath is very dark as is the one behind the pillow, but then the fabric itself dosnt utilize a wide range of value. It might heighten the sense of depth to apply value to the walls/floor as well and consider the light direction (which from the cast shadows looks to be upper left). The skull studies are looking nice and the guy with the beard is quite amusing. He looks like a cross between a japanese warrior and the big lebowski

also, if you havent started experimenting with mediums outside of pencil, I recomend it. it can only help

Last edited by Ninjerina; November 20th, 2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: sounding too cheesy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. When looking at an object, disregard all colour and break it down into black, white, and everything else grey. Then subdivide the grey into different shades of darker light and inbetween. It goes on and on, but just try and block in black white and grey to begin with before adding the other tones. Don't worry about smudging or anything, describing form with line will come later. I'm pretty sure you know all this already, some of your work just seems to restricted by the lines. I recommend grabbing some fruit and giving them a few draws, they're a good exercise. See you around

Last edited by SamC; November 21st, 2008 at 11:42 AM. Reason: was treating you too much like a noob D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ninjerina - Thanks for the advice. You're definitely right about the value... that's something I need to work on.
    SamC - Dividing between different shades of black and white sounds like a great idea! Something I never thought of actually... I'll definitely try that!

Well I've finally finished the picture I was working on. Pretty sick looking I guess but meh...
    Name:  sinking.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  88.8 KB

This one's a still life I did the other day. I think I have work to do on the shading though.
    Name:  cup.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  60.6 KB

Some arm anatomy I tried to draw from memory without my references.
    Name:  armanatomyy.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  38.0 KB

And last but not least... the quick sketches I did during my Modern Imperialism class today XD
    Name:  villain.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  129.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More arm anatomy, no refs. Need to improve!!!

Name:  armanatomy2.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  41.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man your drawings look good. Keep doing still lifes, they are very important
    for developing the skills to accurately apply value from your
    imagination. Your anatomy from imagination looks okay. It seems like you've
    only studied the anatomy under the skin, as thats what shows in the last one.
    Make sure your not forgetting to learn surface anatomy as well, because
    what shows up on the skin is much different from what things actually look like
    underneath. Your going in the right direction, so keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pyroclasm00 - You're right, I've only studied under the skin from a couple of anatomy books I've bought. I'm trying to teach myself all of this so I don't know exactly how to go about learning it other than repetition of drawing the same things over and over. Anyone have any suggestions? Are there books specifically for surface anatomy?

Well here's another one. Nothing special really.
    Name:  perspective2.jpg
Views: 2401
Size:  49.3 KB

Last edited by jackpot_anjr90; November 23rd, 2008 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some practice sketches of the head and face proportions.

Name:  skullheadsfaces.jpg
Views: 2372
Size:  50.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work here jackpot I like that you are showing "color" in your tonal drawings. I've only really started learning that recently. One thing that I want to point out is that your rendering is very soft and round which is good in most cases but in the case of a figure or a face there are hard areas which show as harder changes in values. For example in your last post there is a hard shadow under the chin/jaw, which you captured, compared to your ninja mask/spider man drawings which is basically rendered like a smooth egg. Certainly the masks smooths out the back of the head/hair areas but when side of the head turns into the face there is a sharper transition usually. It's more like a cube in that regard. This will apply to the rest of your renderings as well. I think picking a specific light source will also help when you decide to render your drawings Very beautiful eye drawings by the way and that first image is very funny! You conveyed the humorous expression very well! Keep at it! I'll be back for more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey looks like you got some good values going, proportion seems a little wonky. Just keep at it!

Portfolio

SSG:
    -+--+--+--+-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zhonked - Very helpful advice there! I always did feel uncomfortable with my rendering but I'll definitely keep those tips in mind!
    Alm0st - Yeah, I'll keep a closer eye on those proportions. It does suck when you realize too late in the process of a piece that something is wrong with the proportion

Just got Constructive Anatomy by Bridgman this week. I'm really lovin' it so far.
    Name:  bridgemen1.jpg
Views: 2294
Size:  48.3 KB

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1