Thanks

Picking up white?

BEAUTIFUL work here, it's become very inspiring for me, and I recently picked up a copy of Painter X to get back into it.

However, getting back into Painter has created quite a fuss with me! While playing with my oil brushes in particular, the function of painting on layers that aren't on the canvas layer seem to annoyingly pick up white while I make a stroke, even if I had put a color wash onto the canvas. I haven't used Painter in quite a while and I'm not sure if this always existed or how to get rid of it, if that is at all possible. If anyone can help with this, and I apologize if it has been answered before, I'd be very grateful.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    in the layers palette you can check "pick underlying color". i guess this should solve your problem

Thanks
    Hi Lachesis,

You should not see white in your brush strokes when painting on a Layer, unless the stroke is painted over transparent areas of the Layer.

When you painted a wash on the Layer, are you sure the entire Layer was filled with color? If not, that's probably the reason you're seeing white in your brush strokes.

Warning:

If you decide to use Galil's solution, first be sure you won't ever want to add other colors below the areas where you paint with the Pick Up Underlying Colors box checked. That can produce quite a mess that will be very hard to fix.

Other solutions to choose from:

• Paint on the Canvas, or
    • Paint on a Layer that's completely filled with color, or
    • Adjust your brush variant by moving the Resat/Resaturation slider to 100% and the Bleed slider to 0%. This will remove the blending and smearing characteristics of the brush variant and you'll no longer see white in the brush strokes even if you paint on a completely transparent Layer or on small transparent areas of the Layer.

It may help you to read this tutorial on my PixelAlley site:

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory