Sketchbook: The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

Hey, I'm Mark, 16 years old from Chicago, Illinois. I began drawing when I was 8 or 9 and I just began this whole digital painting thing about 2 months ago. I work in PS CS3 with a 4x6 Graphire 3 (gunna get an intuos in about a week.)

So here goes nothing.....

Can you guess who this is? about 8 hours (this was my second digital painting ever) I pretty much skipped the hair entirely because I couldn't figure out how to draw it.

First Digital painting I ever did. This was based completely off of someone in that huge digital painting tutorial thread's work. If you are the original artist, please post or PM me so I can give you credit. About 4 hours.

Me attempting Rushwolf's style. about 2 hours

Completely unfinished guy I drew from scratch. ~1 hr

Self portrait GONE WRONG (lol) ~ 2hrs.

Indian Guru....~4 hrs

Please give me your honest input, however harsh it may be. I hope you guys enjoy these and I'll try to put up some of my Pencils later.

Last edited by A.GEAN; October 3rd, 2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added date
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool i would like to see some pencil sketches
    and its morgan freeman

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Radon_ View Post
    cool i would like to see some pencil sketches
    and its morgan freeman
    aha, it sure is. I was tryng to see if I drew his likeness correctly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Hey man, you already got some good stuff going..! its a bit hard to critique.. because there is so much that goes into making characters.. anatomy, gesture, clothes, perspective, edges, face...you name it.. if i were you i'd just keep it up at the moment.. don't get lazy or anything, you're off to a good start when you say you've spent 8 hours on something.. that is what you would wanna keep doing

make sure you broaden your horizons.. always challenge yourself.. you say you've drawn since young age.. that means you have bad and good habits stuck with you, especially if you've drawn intense for so long

I'd say you should grab an anatomy book.. hogarth dynamic figures is the book I recommend.. also "complete guide to figure drawing" by George. Bridgman is very good.. mainly for rythm ,pose and balance.. !

I like how you've blended in your "fail" image... don't blend towards pure black unless you really really need to... there are few places in the real world where pure black exists... "darkness" is almost always blue or a very dark brown if the light is very ambient. of course temperature matters as well!

so yeah.. just do what you're doing.. expand a little... characters..poses as i mentioned..

http://posemaniacs.com <--- great site.. check out the 30 second drawing flash app ... its verryyyy good practice if you're not used to variation within your characters .. it has hundreds of poses , and also different speeds and difficulties...

anyway.. keep it up, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure!

-d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    Hey man, you already got some good stuff going..! its a bit hard to critique.. because there is so much that goes into making characters.. anatomy, gesture, clothes, perspective, edges, face...you name it.. if i were you i'd just keep it up at the moment.. don't get lazy or anything, you're off to a good start when you say you've spent 8 hours on something.. that is what you would wanna keep doing

make sure you broaden your horizons.. always challenge yourself.. you say you've drawn since young age.. that means you have bad and good habits stuck with you, especially if you've drawn intense for so long

I'd say you should grab an anatomy book.. hogarth dynamic figures is the book I recommend.. also "complete guide to figure drawing" by George. Bridgman is very good.. mainly for rythm ,pose and balance.. !

I like how you've blended in your "fail" image... don't blend towards pure black unless you really really need to... there are few places in the real world where pure black exists... "darkness" is almost always blue or a very dark brown if the light is very ambient. of course temperature matters as well!

so yeah.. just do what you're doing.. expand a little... characters..poses as i mentioned..

http://posemaniacs.com <--- great site.. check out the 30 second drawing flash app ... its verryyyy good practice if you're not used to variation within your characters .. it has hundreds of poses , and also different speeds and difficulties...

anyway.. keep it up, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure!

-d
    Wow, what a well thought out post! Thanks for that website, you better believe I bookmarked it !

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138407

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SKETCHBOOK!?!?!?!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Posemaniacs? Goddang that is the coolest site ever; still haven't tried it but I've been meaning to. I love the blending in your CG paintings here, you have some pretty nice work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalite View Post
    Posemaniacs? Goddang that is the coolest site ever; still haven't tried it but I've been meaning to. I love the blending in your CG paintings here, you have some pretty nice work.
    Thanks a bunch man . I appreciate your input

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138407

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SKETCHBOOK!?!?!?!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great start with your SB, I wish I had your talent at your age! I'm really liking your studies and the colors you're using. I don't have too much to critique, as I can tell you're learning a lot already just by doing these studies, but I would like to see more finished work with more solid lines. So keep it up, and keep updating! I hope to see more soon

• Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.