Sketchbook: The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.
 
View testimonialsView Artwork
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    Hey, I'm Mark, 16 years old from Chicago, Illinois. I began drawing when I was 8 or 9 and I just began this whole digital painting thing about 2 months ago. I work in PS CS3 with a 4x6 Graphire 3 (gunna get an intuos in about a week.)

    10.2.08


    So here goes nothing.....

    Can you guess who this is? about 8 hours (this was my second digital painting ever) I pretty much skipped the hair entirely because I couldn't figure out how to draw it.

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    First Digital painting I ever did. This was based completely off of someone in that huge digital painting tutorial thread's work. If you are the original artist, please post or PM me so I can give you credit. About 4 hours.

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    Me attempting Rushwolf's style. about 2 hours

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    Completely unfinished guy I drew from scratch. ~1 hr

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    Self portrait GONE WRONG (lol) ~ 2hrs.

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    Indian Guru....~4 hrs

    The Start of a Long Journey -- My meager creations.

    Please give me your honest input, however harsh it may be. I hope you guys enjoy these and I'll try to put up some of my Pencils later.

    Last edited by A.GEAN; October 3rd, 2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: added date
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    83
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    cool i would like to see some pencil sketches
    and its morgan freeman

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Radon_ View Post
    cool i would like to see some pencil sketches
    and its morgan freeman
    aha, it sure is. I was tryng to see if I drew his likeness correctly

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    sweden
    Posts
    7,474
    Thanks
    1,696
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
Hey man, you already got some good stuff going..! its a bit hard to critique.. because there is so much that goes into making characters.. anatomy, gesture, clothes, perspective, edges, face...you name it.. if i were you i'd just keep it up at the moment.. don't get lazy or anything, you're off to a good start when you say you've spent 8 hours on something.. that is what you would wanna keep doing

make sure you broaden your horizons.. always challenge yourself.. you say you've drawn since young age.. that means you have bad and good habits stuck with you, especially if you've drawn intense for so long

I'd say you should grab an anatomy book.. hogarth dynamic figures is the book I recommend.. also "complete guide to figure drawing" by George. Bridgman is very good.. mainly for rythm ,pose and balance.. !

I like how you've blended in your "fail" image... don't blend towards pure black unless you really really need to... there are few places in the real world where pure black exists... "darkness" is almost always blue or a very dark brown if the light is very ambient. of course temperature matters as well!

so yeah.. just do what you're doing.. expand a little... characters..poses as i mentioned..

http://posemaniacs.com <--- great site.. check out the 30 second drawing flash app ... its verryyyy good practice if you're not used to variation within your characters .. it has hundreds of poses , and also different speeds and difficulties...

anyway.. keep it up, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure!

-d

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  • #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Dile_ View Post
    Hey man, you already got some good stuff going..! its a bit hard to critique.. because there is so much that goes into making characters.. anatomy, gesture, clothes, perspective, edges, face...you name it.. if i were you i'd just keep it up at the moment.. don't get lazy or anything, you're off to a good start when you say you've spent 8 hours on something.. that is what you would wanna keep doing

    make sure you broaden your horizons.. always challenge yourself.. you say you've drawn since young age.. that means you have bad and good habits stuck with you, especially if you've drawn intense for so long

    I'd say you should grab an anatomy book.. hogarth dynamic figures is the book I recommend.. also "complete guide to figure drawing" by George. Bridgman is very good.. mainly for rythm ,pose and balance.. !

    I like how you've blended in your "fail" image... don't blend towards pure black unless you really really need to... there are few places in the real world where pure black exists... "darkness" is almost always blue or a very dark brown if the light is very ambient. of course temperature matters as well!

    so yeah.. just do what you're doing.. expand a little... characters..poses as i mentioned..

    http://posemaniacs.com <--- great site.. check out the 30 second drawing flash app ... its verryyyy good practice if you're not used to variation within your characters .. it has hundreds of poses , and also different speeds and difficulties...

    anyway.. keep it up, i'll be keeping an eye on this thread for sure!

    -d
    Wow, what a well thought out post! Thanks for that website, you better believe I bookmarked it !

    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138407

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SKETCHBOOK!?!?!?!?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  • #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    808
    Thanks
    363
    Thanked 187 Times in 181 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Posemaniacs? Goddang that is the coolest site ever; still haven't tried it but I've been meaning to. I love the blending in your CG paintings here, you have some pretty nice work.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  • #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    49
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalite View Post
    Posemaniacs? Goddang that is the coolest site ever; still haven't tried it but I've been meaning to. I love the blending in your CG paintings here, you have some pretty nice work.
    Thanks a bunch man . I appreciate your input

    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138407

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SKETCHBOOK!?!?!?!?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  • #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Hey man, great start with your SB, I wish I had your talent at your age! I'm really liking your studies and the colors you're using. I don't have too much to critique, as I can tell you're learning a lot already just by doing these studies, but I would like to see more finished work with more solid lines. So keep it up, and keep updating! I hope to see more soon

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  • Members who have read this thread: 0

    There are no members to list at the moment.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Art Workshop Discount Inside
    Login or Register
    Register

    Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
    The Art Department
    SpringOfSea's Sketchbook