Sketchbook: Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!) - Page 3

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Can't believe it's been a month since I've updated...

Anyway, it's been a really crazy month. A friend of mine is producing a miniatures game (http://triskelegames.com), so I've been busting my ass trying to produce a few concepts for him. I've taken to a really nice warm-up routine that has me producing some pretty creative results.

It goes:

15-20 minutes of drawing circles (warm up the wrist, arm, whatever)

45 minutes - 1 hour of plastilina/Sculpey drawing. What I do is just...mash the clay into some sort of shape, and as I play with it a little I start to get an idea for a drawing. Well, I only play with it for a couple of minutes, and then I'll set the clay down and draw based on the blob I've created. I've been getting some very creative results, and from this warm up I'm inspired for the rest of the day, even if what I produce during this time has nothing at all to do with what I'll be drawing later.

I do this hour or so of warming up every morning, and then I head out, go to classes, do gesture studies of my classmates, yadda yadda. I'm going to start a massive study on the planes of the head Wednesday, as I've a test tomorrow that'll be killer if I don't spend all day studying. Ah, the life of a college student.

Anyway, I've been doing some more creative stuff lately and less focused studies, which is why I haven't updated in a while. I was really kinda lost for a bit as to where I stood, but today I decided to just do some concepts and see how it went. I normally don't thumbnail, and today was no exception, but it's a habit I'll need to pick up soon. So I did my warm-ups, did the hour of creative drawing, and set to work. Here's what I produced:

Now, it may not look like much, but I'm rather proud of what I've produced. I'd love to render the images, but the format for the book is B&W lineart only, so these'll have to stay lineart for the time being. I think my improvement is showing. Sure, they're not faces...nor, really, vaguely human, but I'm getting there. My knowledge is more instinctive now, especially about the bones of the face, so I feel more comfortable drawing random heads. I think I'm making good progress, and that's really all you can ask for, eh?

These were both drawn using plastilina as a reference. I just kinda played with it until something clicked, then did a quick 2-minute gesture of the clay as the idea fleshed itself out. Then I scanned the quickie, resized in Photoshop, printed it out, and traced over it on another sheet of paper, adding all sorts of details. Here's the quickie page:

I'll have those other two by tomorrow, along with some head studies and a massive headache from that goddamn test. Head planar study begins Wednesday, through 'til sometime next week, along with a few more concepts I've got to finish for my friend. All in all, things are looking on the up and up for my artwork, much better than they were 4 months ago when I started this thread.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some random thumbnails tonight, this time in all-pen. I really like sketching with the pen. Really, really like sketching with the pen. I don't think I can sketch with a pencil again. Gotta use pen.

Thanks
    Hey, Ivanhoes. You are progressing at a steady pace. That sculpey trick seems interesting. I'm gonna buy some tomorrow

Thanks
    Originally posted by Yiako
    Hey, Ivanhoes. You are progressing at a steady pace. That sculpey trick seems interesting. I'm gonna buy some tomorrow
    Who is Ivanhoes? I mean, it's a common mistake on my user name, so I get it a lot, but my name isn't spelled anywhere near that, so I'm wondering how this Ivanhoes guy got so popular as to make people reorganize my name into his.

No fault of your own, of course. As I said, it's a really common name I'm called, for one reason or another, so I'm kinda used to it by now.

Anyway, thanks man, I love Sculpey to death. Love it love it love it. Almost as much as I'm loving pens right now.

Here's some more stuff for today:

Last edited by lavhoes; March 18th, 2004 at 03:13 AM.

Thanks
    whoa lavhoes, i can't believe i've missed this sketchbook for sooooo long! you've really progressed as far as i can tell, those game concepts were a really good standard too. keep at it. your faces and stuff look as though they come naturally now!

Thanks
    Originally posted by -The Swift-
    whoa lavhoes, i can't believe i've missed this sketchbook for sooooo long! you've really progressed as far as i can tell, those game concepts were a really good standard too. keep at it. your faces and stuff look as though they come naturally now!
    Thanks The Swift!

Here's today's finished concept piece:

More sketching tomorrow!

Thanks
    all those studies seem to be helping. .. your work is definitely getting better, and im diggin the latest concept piece

keep it up

Thanks
    Originally posted by metalwinds
    all those studies seem to be helping. .. your work is definitely getting better, and im diggin the latest concept piece

keep it up
    Will do, boss.

Thanks
    I agree, those new concept drawings you're doing are looking really good. the studies that you've been doing have definately been helping. keep up the concept work and the studies!

Thanks
    Originally posted by JackalAnubis
    the studies that you've been doing have definately been helping.
    I'll say, though I've been taking a break from them for a little while. There's a point where, no matter how highly you regard studies, you just...can't do anymore. You gotta step back and just doodle doodle doodle or else you'll go insane.

I've had a few weeks to digest what I've learned, plus learn a few more things in the process, so it's time to hit the studies again. I'll try drawing the planes of the face and see how that goes.

Anyway, here's today's massive update:

Getting comfortable with the brand new sketchbook (always a daunting task):

Concept sketches of my Mage samurai Akashic character, plus a few more heads, undead and otherwise:

My creativity was sputtering out, so I just kinda wound down with a few simple sketches:

I warmed up again an hour later and did another page:

Couple of Chrono Trigger sketches and some miscellaneous stuff:

Thanks
    Originally posted by lavhoes
    That was a little over a month ago, when I did that. Today I did a shitload of studying on the planes of the face, and decided to put that information into use by re-sketching the barbarian dude.

First, here's the heads I did after I did some work on the planes of the face:

And here's the barbarian:

All without reference.

I think my long-term study of the head is almost complete, for now. It won't be photo-realistic for a long, long time, but I"ve gained enough information to at least pass off some believable heads. They're in proportion, and I understand how the muscles and features work to produce emotions. All I have left to do is learn the planes of the ears and the eyelids, relatively easy stuff, and learn how to draw hair. After that, I'll go after the neck, and start building up the figure from there.

Looking back at some previous pages of my sketchbook, I've come a long, long way in only a few months. It's satisfying to see how much I've progressed, and it leaves me excited to see where I'll be going in the future.

Thanks
    hey lavhoes, ahh what an inspiration, goodjob. sad because i have been working on heads for hte longest time, but they arent looking as good as yours haha. did you copy a lot of photos or life? because i studied the planes/skulls all that jazz and such but the problem was i didnt look to photos for ref and just started doing imaginary heads *wrong wrong!*

Thanks
    your perseverance in improving your art is impressive What is this 300 heads thing you speak of? never heard of it before ;o

[I am a member of the Middle Class!]

You can view my lurrvely new sketchbook here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?p=507266
    Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Wow, I can't believe it's already been a year. Feels like just yesterday I was starting out on this trip. How I have progressed!

I've been learning a lot since I've been away, keeping my observational skills up to par. I took a bit of a hiatus over the summer but now I am back and ready to launch head-first into art once again. I've shaken off some bad habits and picked up some really good ones, so I feel pumped to start drawing daily once again.

Here is what I spent yesterday on:

I hadn't really done anything "big" in a while, just a lot of studies. I'm getting back into the imagination side of things in order to apply my knowledge.

Art, I'm finding, is best learnt like another language. Sure, I could learn German by memorizing the words and grammar structure, but the knowledge would only stick with me superficially. I'd never be truly fluent if all I did was know the words and not actually use them regularly. It's the application of knowledge that really gets it stuck in our heads. As an artist, I have to take concepts I learn (anatomy of the arm, shading in a wood texture, etc.) and apply them as often as I can so they become core to my art. No amount of studies will help me if I'm completely unable to apply what I've learned.

So I am prescribing myself a diet of 1/3rd studies, 1/3rd application with study reference, and 1/3rd application straight from my head. I'll mix it up a bit and apply what I've learned in order to really cement it in my head.

Thanks
    Damnit, it's been another month. My grandmum died, I ran into a bunch of final exams, lot of other "excuses." I've been drawing, but I really need to stick with updating too.

Here's what I did yesterday:

I'm trying to nail my values just right, holding off on the highlights 'til it's just the right time for them, keeping my drop shadows nice and dark, and my core shadows blended in. I leaned on the darker side of the spectrum this time, to limit my value pallette. Next time I'm going to try and keep everything nice and light, yet noticeably shaded.

And I will post something tomorrow, damnit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    great last pic, huge steps in improvement !

you know highlights doesnt need to be a spot, they can be lines too

in the last pic all highlights are spherical (hehe) or pointy..

wonderfull work and progress

cheers !

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane
    you know highlights doesnt need to be a spot, they can be lines too
    Oooh, guess I held onto those highlights a bit too long, haha. I went back and broadened the highlights a bit more to reflect the flatter surfaces of the armor, plus I threw in a few reflections to make the armor seem more metallic.

Does it look better?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    yes, and if you add highcontrasted "bumps" into the highlight you uncontiously read it into the rest of the armor areas (my own little idea)

looks cool

cheers

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    My monitor here at home is shit, so I'm probably gonna head out later today to get a new one. It makes everything really "dark" so it's hard to see the true values of everything.

I should have brought my personal monitor from school, but I thought it was too heavy to lug around. Ah well =(

Anyway, my friend set up a chat board for doodling so I went over and doodled a bit:

I'm getting used to laying down a black silhouette, then adding in some greys and finally a bit of highlighting. I'm trying to be more careful when doing this, making sure that I don't have to scratch and hack at it to get it looking right, making for a smoother finished drawing. I figure this way I could speed up my drawing and do more instead of spending half an hour redrawing the same one over and over again.

Thanks
    I felt like black and dark grey tonight, so here we go:

Thanks
    Hi lavhoes
    nice sketchbook and lots of progress!
    I like your last black and grey sketch, but it's a bit hard to figure out what's going on at it's head. And what is he doing with his right arm? Looks like it's resting somewhere, but it's looking a little bit confusing. Or that's just me Maybe you can fix that -
    hope that helps

keep the good work

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Hrmm, I followed the Hellboy source material pretty closely with the head; the right arm was tricky though so I just said "fuck it" and left it hanging.

Here's some torsos:

Thanks
    I can really see that doing all those studies is paying off big-time for you. The last couple of drawings are great looking -- I really like the warrior with the spear. I'd like to see a few more characters drawn like that, maybe do one with the warrior fighting something with that big spear? Well I hope you can keep the momentum going, I'm sure you're going to just keep getting better.

Thanks
    You are really improving with those studies which is awesome.

I think that thsoe couple monster things you made are really wicked. I also think that your idea of messing around with some sculpey and then just using that as inspiration is an awesome idea. I am going to have to try that one I think.

Sanby

Thanks
    Great value work on the recent stuff. The last two you posted I refer to as 'blocking in' sketches. A great excercise and you were right on the money.

Thanks
    Thanks guys =P

eliWolff: I took your advice and made a more action-oriented picture today. Not painted, but I'll work on that later.

Sanby: Heh, yeah, I got it from an old thread here about drawing a random blob in Opencanvas and having any other artist in the chat try to make something of it. Incredibly handy!

van: You're absolutely right about blocking stuff in; that's what I've been trying to aim for, as you'll see here:

Edit: Composition practice, much better this time around:

And a random robot:

Last edited by lavhoes; December 29th, 2004 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks
    Great stuff, with the blocking in. I really like the robot, he looks pretty kewl, and the perspective in neat.

Sanby

Thanks
    oh yeah, that's looking cool! It's amazing how just a few well placed highlights on an all black figure can make you tell what the details are. And that extra tree on the right side really helps. I'll be checking back to see what you come up with next!

Thanks
    wow mate crazy progress !!!!
    looking good mate!

Thanks
    Excellent work. The robot looks pretty organic though. looks speedy so maybe that a nitpick, but its hard to find much my friend!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.