Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!)

Thanks
    Good work man, you are very diligent. I'm sure you'll reach your ultimate goal.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yay, eyes. Nothing but eyes, or people with eyes.

I spent the first three days doing nothing but really quick eye-sketches. I have a number of other pages, but these were what I consider the best:

12/29/03:

Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!)

12/30/03:

12/31/03:

Then I branched out and did faces for the new year:

01/01/04:

01/02/04:

01/03/04:

I did all of these without reference:

01/04/04:

Just a quick one-hour self portrait today, will probably draw more tonight. Not much time today =(

Next week: MOUTHS

Thanks
    Ugh, mouths didn't go so well. My ADD kicked into overdrive and I just could not focus. Every little detail seemed to escape me, so I just couldn't draw 'em.

Plus, I had relationship trouble with my girlfriend, classes started up, god, it was a huge mess.

Luckily, though, things have calmed down, and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this face-drawing thing.

Here's today's page:

Just some faces, all without ref except the very bottom one (the guy in the hate who was cut off because I ran out of space on the sketch page). They all look kinda the same, so this next week I'm really going to focus on drawing all sorts of different faces. I bought a People magazine with every celebrity ever in it, so there will be plenty of facial types for me to choose from. I'm going to see if I can push the extremes: flat noses, long noses, short noses, thin noses, big noses, small noses, bulbous noses, narrow noses, etc. This goes for eyes, mouths, chins, etc. Once I get different facial types down, the following week will be devoted to head shapes. Round, square, oval, etc.

Hopefully, by the end of February I'll have the basic knowledge necessary to freehand some pretty good-looking faces and heads. This is something I've always, always wanted to do, and from here I can begin to construct the rest of the body based on the other stuff I learned last year. I left off at the shoulder, but I'm going to jump back and look at the neck some more. Then build on the shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, etc. But that's all past February and into the spring. Right now, though, my focus is solely on get faces and heads drawn properly.

...as an aside, next Thursday I'm getting my ADD diagnosed and myself put on a multi-modal program, partly medication and partly therapy/routines/exercises that'll hopefully diminish my wayward focus abilities. I think you'll see a ton of artwork coming from me in the next few weeks.

Thanks
    holy shit man *high five*

you are just an inspiration to amateur artists everywhere! the way you put your mind to learn how to actually draw teh human anatomy and the way it changes is amazing!

your progress is just blazing fast and leaves me waiting to see more of your studies.

....*awesome, just awesome*

"goes back to work on my sketchbook"
    I my girlfriend & my book of sketches

Thanks
    You get huuuge points for focus, drive, and motivation man ... excellent job sticking to your guns and truly studying your subject. Bravo.
    Deprogramming the youth, for a better tommorow ... TODAY!

Thanks
    Thanks guys =D

Here's what I did Saturday night/Sunday morning:

And just a small part of what I did today:

I would've drawn more, except I had the day off because of ice and couldn't get myself moving. Plus, I spent most of my time working on another sketch page that I'll complete later.

Let me tell you, the different between when I started drawing faces from ref and how I can draw faces now is greater than I thought it could be, starting out.

I'll have that to post tomorrow.

Thanks
    Originally posted by lavhoes
    I just wanted to point out that it's been exactly a year since I did that drawing. It took something like 3 or 4 hours to get the pencilling and inking done, and it doesn't even look right. Now, exactly one year later I can doodle something that looks infinitely better than that in just a few minutes.

I still have a long way to go to bring my art up to speed, but it's refreshing to see myself improve at least a little.

So today, among everything else I'm going to be doing, I'm going to redo this picture the way I currently draw, just to show myself the improvement I've gone through over the past year.

Thanks
    Good job! I've been watching this thread, and it's great to see you practicing so much on anatomy. I'd love to see some faces in detail, with the different nose and jaw shapes!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    Good job! I've been watching this thread, and it's great to see you practicing so much on anatomy. I'd love to see some faces in detail, with the different nose and jaw shapes!
    Heh, I'm certainly working on it this week =D

I've started adding the jaw and chin to my face drawings. I still have that page of renders I'm doing as an exercise to finish, and I didn't get to the redo like I wanted to today, but I managed to draw a whole two faces, plus three more on the message whiteboard on my dormroom door.

So...yeah, my "big update":

Wow, yay, all that. Both without reference, so that reference crutch I've been carrying around since I started drawing has been used less and less. I'm really pleased with my progress so far; I didn't expect to learn this much. Honestly, I never know where I'm going to improve, and likely the drawings I produce in a few months whill stomp these into the ground.

This is the adventure that is being an artist.

Thanks
    Today I was doing some old commission stuff for some people. Pretty much, trying to test out drawing different heads 'n stuff. It all came out pretty well, the faces at least.

Thanks
    The faces on the very bottom look great, but the guy in the middle there has a problem with his nose. I think if you change the angle to line up more with the eyes and make it so that you can see less of the nostrils, it will look more correct.

EDIT: Either that, or you could change his left eye to line up with his nose.

-Sapph

Thanks
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    The faces on the very bottom look great, but the guy in the middle there has a problem with his nose. I think if you change the angle to line up more with the eyes and make it so that you can see less of the nostrils, it will look more correct.

EDIT: Either that, or you could change his left eye to line up with his nose.

-Sapph
    Yeah, I've never drawn a face from that angle before. It's...freakin' hard, to tell you the truth, heh.

So, I could either tilt the left eye, or erase part of his nostrils?

Let me try that out...

Thanks
    Awesome studies man. I like to tape those studys up on my desk so I can use them for reference without having to look it up on the internet nor flip through my book. Easy access. Good improvement too! Keep it up!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast