Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    You get huuuge points for focus, drive, and motivation man ... excellent job sticking to your guns and truly studying your subject. Bravo.
    Deprogramming the youth, for a better tommorow ... TODAY!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks guys =D

Here's what I did Saturday night/Sunday morning:

Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!)

And just a small part of what I did today:

I would've drawn more, except I had the day off because of ice and couldn't get myself moving. Plus, I spent most of my time working on another sketch page that I'll complete later.

Let me tell you, the different between when I started drawing faces from ref and how I can draw faces now is greater than I thought it could be, starting out.

I'll have that to post tomorrow.

Thanks
    Originally posted by lavhoes
    I just wanted to point out that it's been exactly a year since I did that drawing. It took something like 3 or 4 hours to get the pencilling and inking done, and it doesn't even look right. Now, exactly one year later I can doodle something that looks infinitely better than that in just a few minutes.

I still have a long way to go to bring my art up to speed, but it's refreshing to see myself improve at least a little.

So today, among everything else I'm going to be doing, I'm going to redo this picture the way I currently draw, just to show myself the improvement I've gone through over the past year.

Thanks
    Good job! I've been watching this thread, and it's great to see you practicing so much on anatomy. I'd love to see some faces in detail, with the different nose and jaw shapes!

Thanks
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    Good job! I've been watching this thread, and it's great to see you practicing so much on anatomy. I'd love to see some faces in detail, with the different nose and jaw shapes!
    Heh, I'm certainly working on it this week =D

I've started adding the jaw and chin to my face drawings. I still have that page of renders I'm doing as an exercise to finish, and I didn't get to the redo like I wanted to today, but I managed to draw a whole two faces, plus three more on the message whiteboard on my dormroom door.

So...yeah, my "big update":

Wow, yay, all that. Both without reference, so that reference crutch I've been carrying around since I started drawing has been used less and less. I'm really pleased with my progress so far; I didn't expect to learn this much. Honestly, I never know where I'm going to improve, and likely the drawings I produce in a few months whill stomp these into the ground.

This is the adventure that is being an artist.

Thanks
    Today I was doing some old commission stuff for some people. Pretty much, trying to test out drawing different heads 'n stuff. It all came out pretty well, the faces at least.

Thanks
    The faces on the very bottom look great, but the guy in the middle there has a problem with his nose. I think if you change the angle to line up more with the eyes and make it so that you can see less of the nostrils, it will look more correct.

EDIT: Either that, or you could change his left eye to line up with his nose.

-Sapph

Thanks
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    The faces on the very bottom look great, but the guy in the middle there has a problem with his nose. I think if you change the angle to line up more with the eyes and make it so that you can see less of the nostrils, it will look more correct.

EDIT: Either that, or you could change his left eye to line up with his nose.

-Sapph
    Yeah, I've never drawn a face from that angle before. It's...freakin' hard, to tell you the truth, heh.

So, I could either tilt the left eye, or erase part of his nostrils?

Let me try that out...

Thanks
    Awesome studies man. I like to tape those studys up on my desk so I can use them for reference without having to look it up on the internet nor flip through my book. Easy access. Good improvement too! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Rock on! You are coming along great. Its great to look back on past stuff. I look at the stuff I did 6 months ago and laugh my ass off.

Keep drawing!

Thanks
    Thanks guys!

And now...a very special Whiteboard edition of lavhoes's sketch journal:

Tom Cruise on the left (from ref), my roommate on the right (from memory), and a random eyeball.

I did some sketching in my notes today as well.

Thanks
    that tom cruise sketch is looking great, keep working!

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    The long-awaited (by me) update:

Well, they diagnosed me as having ADD/OCD, so I tend to get distracted by really dumb inane things that I must complete or else I can't function the rest of the day. They prescribed me some Concerta, which I'm now taking.

It's really helped me focus.

Now I can finally concentrate on my face studies!

Here's what I've been learning this week:

I'm sorry the scans are so rough, but I was using a really light pencil and I had to bump up the contrast.

Basically, this week I'm tackling overall head construction, utilizing a really great head tutorial I found right here, by Ron Lemen, I believe. It's based off Loomis's head construction, if I remember correctly, which was one of my favorites during high school but something I could never quite grasp. The missing key, I've found, is how to construct the face and chin. I could get the sliced ball and brow bit, but I'd always end up making the face too low or something. Well, after a couple of pages of constructing basic heads, I think I finally see what I had been missing.

The first page was mostly from ref. I have this big book of celebrities published by Time and VH1 (200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons), so I was just flipping through and constructing the random heads I saw. The second page is completely without ref. I glanced at my desk mirror maybe twice.

This week I'm going to continue with the head construction and hopefully I'll finally get the underlying 3d forms that had previously eluded me. With this basic skill, coupled with what I've been learning about facial details, I'll finally be able to draw heads without reference. I bought a book on facial expressions, so starting next week I'll begin twisting and contorting the face/head into all sorts of different emotions.

And after that, I want to spend a week just...drawing whatever.

(Man, when I compare these constructions to some of the earlier head construction stuff shown in this thread, I see that I was really off. Thank god I found that tutorial, or else I'd still be lost. I'd post what I did last night and earlier today, before I chanced upon that URL, but compared to what I did after I read that tutorial, last night's work is absolutely hideous.)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast