Sketchbook: Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning the lavhoes way (finally updated!)

I...I can't sketch. I do artwork, but I don't sketch. I just don't. I doodle sometimes, but if anything good ever comes out of it I trace and trace and trace back over it until I've got something. I'm too uncomfortable with drawing and I am unable to express or even really get started on some great ideas because of this great mental roadblock I've set upon myself.

So, I'm just going to start sketching. Faces, guestures, blind contours, self-portraits, whatever I can think of. After a little while I'm just going to start jotting down the first thing that comes to mind. I don't care whatever it looks like, I want to start getting stuff down without worrying about stuff being perfect. That is my goal.

Thus, I present my daily sketchbook. I'm going to post something every day in hopes that progress will be achieved over time. While I cannot match the level this forum has set for itself, I can step ever-closer to being able to just sketch whatever ideas are floating around in my head, even if there's nothing there to begin with. I want to become a professional artist by my 21st birthday (March 2005) so I'm going to work hard every day and progress as best as I can.

Besides, I'm only 19. I have plenty of time.

Here's what I did today (Nov. 12th):

Random face images from reference (except a couple that i tried to sketch on my own). Notice how thick and choppy my lines are. I'm pecking at the image. I should just draw what I want, but there's a huge mental block on that and I aim to destroy it.

Some basic heads as I try to figure out just what I'm trying to learn through all these head studies, as well as a couple of blind contour drawings (they were so blind I didn't notice I ran over a previous head. See? I don't cheat! I swear!)

The blind contours of the faces I had previously drawn.

Aaaaaaaaand a bunch of heads and circles and crap.

As you can see, I'm not a very confident artist. But I want to be. I want to be so badly. I need to learn how to relax and establish a true connection between my pencil and my brain. I know this will take a lot of work, but I think I can do it.

Last edited by lavhoes; November 17th, 2004 at 06:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I'm just going to start sketching. Faces, guestures, blind contours, self-portraits, whatever I can think of. After a little while I'm just going to start jotting down the first thing that comes to mind. I don't care whatever it looks like, I want to start getting stuff down without worrying about stuff being perfect. That is my goal.
    Ditto.
    I think thatīs the way. It's more boring that let your imagination fly wild, but first you have to feed your brain with facts and empty it of tricks. Good luck, those head studies are a good start point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lavhoes that is a very interesting way to start to tackle your old mental habits. You know what might be interesting to? Maybe if you set a timer for say 30 seconds for 10 Min. and draw a head or idea in 30 seconds so 20 images in 10 min.

I myself have a few mind blocks, I have told myself that I get the proper training before I begin to tackle them and set affirmations for myself

Hope to see more of your work soon

Amador

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. I think I'll try that timer thing tomorrow, when I'm off from college. I'm trying to do one facial expression a day to really study it from lots of different viewpoints so I can build up a supply of faces. I figure a little work with the face should loosen up my old DBZ drawing habits a bit. During high school all I did was copy DBZ pictures until my senior year when I decided I wanted to pursue art. Well, now two years later I'm stuck doing Akira Toriyama's stuff over and over and it's time to move on. I want to learn the real arts and become a professional illustrator. Can't do that when you've got a bunch of Gokou pictures in your portfolio.

Here's my work for today. Allready I'm noticing a little improvement as I'm really learning how to relax and let the lines come to me. I had a test today so I didn't get as much done, but tomorrow's pretty much straight classes (notes and lectures, no tests) so I'll have some time to fill in with sketches.

My facial studies for today, with "angry" as the expression:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minor update:

You know the bald guy with the goatee I keep trying to draw? Well, that's my personal avatar, a character named Cedyim I came up with a while ago. I have a very boyish face, and as this character is based somewhat off what I look like I've been trying to capture him in a more natural form.

Here's what he looks like in my old style:

Well, just now I decided to test out what I've learned today about facial structure. I figured, hey, the 2nd day is as good as any for a progress check. So I spent maybe 5 minutes sketching out this guy's face and cleaning it up a bit in Photoshop. I usually leave a blank 8.5"x11" 72 dpi .psd open for me to doodle in when I'm bored, so I just switched over to the program and out this came:

A more human-looking Cedyim, one whose features hint at mine yet have uniqueness all to their own. I think I'm starting to get the hang of sketching.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Jens
    one very important thing is that you shouldn't focus on just faces.. it's what i did and now i found myself hopelessy behind with my bodies..
    Oh, of course, of course. I plan on starting my anatomy stuff and guesture drawing soon. I just like starting with heads and faces. I've always liked drawing the head and face, but I could never get it quite right. I figure if I can idly sketch some heads starting out, I can move on to more complex things like full figures and ideas for body armor, mechanoids, weapons, stuff like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing much today, just a page barely half-filled with some characters of mine. I wanted to draw smirks today but I just couldn't find the time. Ah well, tomorrow I'll draw some more faces, this time attempting to pick up on a style of sketchy shading. I'm alway afraid to shade my stuff because I know if I screw up I'd have just lost the lineart I was working on. But, I know that shading is essential to the type of sketching I want to use, so I have no choice but to suck it up and get over my fear of shading.

I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Last edited by lavhoes; November 15th, 2003 at 04:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some cross-hatching today, from a photo (as well as my DSG assignment):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great - you seem to be coming along nicely - congrats! If I may offer one word of advice? Try forcing yourself to make long fluid strokes with the pencil. Avoid quick short strokes. In the long run you may well go back to the short strokes, but if you keep yourself from lifting the pencil too much, it helps to build your confidence in your own abilities and linework skills.

Just my two cents.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing from me today except my DSG assignment. I've, unfortunately, got a test tomorrow, so I didn't have much time to sketch today. But I have some really boring classes tomorrow as well, so I'll sketch some more stuff during my breaks.

I want to try and concentrate on one element of my art every week. This week, I'm going to focus on the torso and its various movements and muscles. I figure I'll spend a week drawing nothing but dozens upon dozens of torsos (and the heads they're connected to) and my skill in sketching torsos, both realistically and stylistically, will improve dramatically. Next week I'll sketch the head, torso, and arms, while also focusing on arms as well. If I build up the body along with accompanying full guesture drawings and anatomy work, I'll have a better grasp of the human body and its composition. This, I believe, will help me sketch better than I've ever been able to before.

I'll post my progression tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not dead, nor have I forgotten about this. Just haven't had access to a scanner lately. I'll post back a huge update when I've got a scanner by me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I promised a big update, but there's too many pages for me to scan right now, so I think I'll just pick up from yesterday and slowly add in all the old pages until I'm completely caught up.

Man, I hate stupid scanner problems.

Anyway...

I've devised a method for keeping up my motivation through final exams. Right now I'm really suffering from a lack of motivation and I really need a good system of keeping myself from slacking off. So, I thought to myself, what do I everday no matter what?

I play video games.

So, I thought, why don't I turn my art progression into a little game? I like games. I like art. Working on anatomy can be a little daunting and oftentimes I'll just want to skip a day or two. That's no good. So I worked out this system.

Pretty much, for every little sketch or doodle where I learn something or discover something, I gain experience points. That's those little "10!" and "20!" things you see in the image below. I figure myself to be at level 2 (don't want to start off from the very beginning because I'm no newb, nor do I want to advance myself too far or else it'll take forever to feel any sort of acomplishment). I figured I could gain a level a week or so, as I'm tackling things on a weekly basis, so I should be level 4 by the end of this week. I'm actually level 3 by my count right now, I just haven't added in the experience for this really elaborate painting I did over the weekend where I learned a ton about composition, painting trees, and internal anatomy (it was a disemboweled corpse).

This is my way of keeping myself motivated, and it's working out pretty well. The only penalties I ever suffer are when I don't draw for a day. I have to dock myself 500 points for that. It's enough of a deterrent to keep my lazy ass drawing.

So anyway, here's my sketch page for yesterday. I don't know yet how much XP I should give myself for the barbarian dude on the left, as it's probably the best pencil piece I've ever done. I'm learning a lot about the torso, especially the pecs and upper shoulders. It's really sad how horrible my art looks even from a couple of weeks ago compared to what I'm doing now. I just...can't see how I ever saw to draw torsos like I did.

Here's the page:

And, for comparison's sake, here's something I did back in January:

For the record, I'm getting my anatomy work out of Bridgman's The Complete Guide to Drawing from Life for now. Once I've gotten all I can from the book I'm going to start looking up reference material and attending life drawing classes. This is all just preliminary stuff.

And one final note to my incredibly lengthy post: I'm only concentrating on men for right now. Originally, I wanted to split it 50/50 between men and women, but I decided I'd rather get my male anatomy solid before tackling females (heh...male anatomy solid...tackling females...oh shut up.) I've been staring at naked females since I was 13, so it shouldn't too much of a challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a cool idea. I'm in the midst of finals too (and turn 19 tomorrow!), so I find it tough to be motivated... especially since my art final is another self portrait. Yargh... the millionth one.

But the whole "game" idea is good... maybe I'll have to make some goal for myself like that about how much I draw per day aside from that assignment.

Jut a suggestion, drawing animals helps to spice it up and also keep you on a realistic track. Varied musculature and facial structure and fur and soforth!

-Sapphire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Sapphire
    That's a cool idea. I'm in the midst of finals too (and turn 19 tomorrow!), so I find it tough to be motivated... especially since my art final is another self portrait. Yargh... the millionth one.

But the whole "game" idea is good... maybe I'll have to make some goal for myself like that about how much I draw per day aside from that assignment.

Jut a suggestion, drawing animals helps to spice it up and also keep you on a realistic track. Varied musculature and facial structure and fur and soforth!

-Sapphire
    A fine suggestion. I think I'll sketch some dogs today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't get to the dogs...stupid final exam...but I did manage to draw this demon thing.

My focus for this week is the shoulder and upper arm, as well as my rendering skills. So that's what I concentrated on:

I'll be doing some arm/shoulder sketches tomorrow. I'm starting to render more and more, as I really like rendering. It's fun. Plus it gives me an opportunity to add in some detail, something I've been meaning to work on for a while now.

Dunno how much XP I should give myself (still factoring for the barbarian yesterday) but it should be quite a bit, given the couple of hours I spent working on this and everything I learned in the process.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still rendering like an old fool. I've got my DSG assignment from yesterday (took most of yesterday's art time to work on it as well as a good chunk of today's), as well as a little orc thing I drew in my small to-do notebook. The notebook's...not here right now, but I'll add in the scan as soon as I get it.

Here's the first sketch:

It's a Bear Dragon.

Took me a few hours to render, but I think it came out pretty good. I'm getting better at fur, at least, and now I have a rudimentary grasp of bear anatomy.

My human anatomy hasn't been working on for a couple of days, but I'm smack dab in the middle of finals so I can't really blame myself. Rendering is nice and relaxing; I just follow the guidelines I've set for myself and take it where it wants to go. Anatomy work requires rigorous studies, dozens of little sketches, and a lot of thinking involved. This week has all my brainpower going towards stupid finals, so something passive like rendering is exactly what I need.

A perfect opportunity to futher one a much-needed sketching skill.

I figure with all these renders I'm level 4 at the very least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good job man. I think your drawings rock. Good studies, and the demon(?)'s pose is sweet. I noticed that on his bicep the top edge of the white shape should be diagonal the other way and it would look more like it's going under the deltoid, I think. For blind drawings, if you do it the right way your drawing will look terrible. Try doing it for 10 min straight without looking down, and moving your pen as slowly as possible. Or semi blind you can look down to re-place your pen but always look up while it is moving. For studying, tone, squinting is invaluable. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crap, you're right. It defnitely should be the other way...

Blargh, ah well, something to consider for later I suppose. Right now, unfortunately, I've discovered I'm using the wrong hand to draw, so I have to take a break and gain control over my other hand. Until that time, this daily sketchbook is going to be filled with blind contour drawings.

Since my left hand is squiggly anyway, I figure it'd be best to start out with a ton of blind contour drawings, just to get comfortable with the pencil. The mistake I made with the right hand (well, the second mistake, the first was picking my right hand in the first place) was learning to completely control my lines. This, I feel, is a big detriment to my artistic abilities, as having complete mental control over all of my lines requires a lot more force than necessary, frustrating me and tying up other valuable mental processes which should go towards keeping a vision of what I want the picture to look like in my head.

So, now that I'm left-handed I'm going to start contour drawings and let my subconcious eye take hold of my lines. I'll let my arm tell me what lines go where. I'll concentrate on the subject and my body will do the rest. Once control and confidence have been gained in my left hand, I'm going to start a long study of the face and its various attributes. Eyes, nose, mouth, ears, forehead, proportions, sketching, renderings, you name it. The face is as complicated as the whole human body put together, I figure as much work as I put into the body should also be put into the human head as well.

I'll be gone 'til after Christmas, but I should have a number of pages of contours to post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work! keep it up and you'll definatly be an artist by 21!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya man you're definitely on the right track. When you're doing your contours, try to get the sensation that your pen is drawing *on* the subject you're looking at.
    peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

left-handed?

Did you just decide to switch hands, or are you lefthanded to begin with but for some reason have been drawing with your right? Either way, it's a cool undertaking, to learn to draw with both hands. I'm a lefty, so maybe that's why it's annoying to have to draw digitally with a mouse.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Re: left-handed?

Originally posted by Sapphire
    Did you just decide to switch hands, or are you lefthanded to begin with but for some reason have been drawing with your right? Either way, it's a cool undertaking, to learn to draw with both hands. I'm a lefty, so maybe that's why it's annoying to have to draw digitally with a mouse.

Keep up the good work!
    I chose my right hand when I was little, but I'm very left-oriented. True, I use my right hand to do everything (brush my teeth, eat, catch, etc.), but i'm more in-tune with my left hand. It's really hard to explain.

I figure I'm more ambidextrous than anything, and to neglect that advantage would be to do myself a great disservice.

So, for now, until I can get my left hand chops up (something I cannot afford to do right now, what with school about to start and the jobs I need to undertake), I'm going to use my left hand to get the image in my head down on paper, and then follow through with my right to draw/render the image.

That's what I did tonight:

Top is from reference, bottom one isn't. I didn't try make the bottom one of the same guy (Toshiro Mifune) as the top one, but they ended up looking pretty similar, which is good because it's what I wanted but didn't think I could do.

Now I start my focus on heads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand, I sort of have the same issue. I do a lot of things with my right hand, like throw or use the mouse or whatever, but when I draw and write, it's with my left. I guess it's just a right-handed world. Anyway, the top sketch looks pretty good, but on the bottom, I think his face would look more correctly aligned if his mouth was facing us a little less, and his jaw was tilted in the same direction as the nose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, yes, I see what you mean. I fixed it and rescanned/reuploaded, but then I drew some more today, so here's the image re-re-scanned:

Starting tomorrow, for a straight week: nothing but eyes. Wide eyes, narrow eyes, squinting eyes, happy eyes, sad eyes. I'm going to master eyes like nobody's business. Hundreds or even thousands of eyes, all laid out in my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good ideas. obviously these are sketches. It seems like you draw freehand, without much basic steps, but just follow an idea in your head. try to set up the head in an ...ahh just forget it :mad: i dunno wat im' talkin about....um....i guess just practice i cant put the ideas on my mind into words...thats just me..i put it through art instead hah

Da Vinci was a concept artist
    11/30/03-11/30/05. Thanks CA, for all the great inspiration. When will I update? I dont know...
    ' DSB!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by obid619
    good ideas. obviously these are sketches. It seems like you draw freehand, without much basic steps, but just follow an idea in your head. try to set up the head in an ...ahh just forget it :mad: i dunno wat im' talkin about....um....i guess just practice i cant put the ideas on my mind into words...thats just me..i put it through art instead hah
    Nope, I definitely use an underlying basic structure. I use the Loomis method of doing a circle and then building the rest of the skull off of it. The lines just end up becoming part of the drawing, or they get erased.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work man, you are very diligent. I'm sure you'll reach your ultimate goal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay, eyes. Nothing but eyes, or people with eyes.

I spent the first three days doing nothing but really quick eye-sketches. I have a number of other pages, but these were what I consider the best:

12/29/03:

12/30/03:

12/31/03:

Then I branched out and did faces for the new year:

01/01/04:

01/02/04:

01/03/04:

I did all of these without reference:

01/04/04:

Just a quick one-hour self portrait today, will probably draw more tonight. Not much time today =(

Next week: MOUTHS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ugh, mouths didn't go so well. My ADD kicked into overdrive and I just could not focus. Every little detail seemed to escape me, so I just couldn't draw 'em.

Plus, I had relationship trouble with my girlfriend, classes started up, god, it was a huge mess.

Luckily, though, things have calmed down, and I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this face-drawing thing.

Here's today's page:

Just some faces, all without ref except the very bottom one (the guy in the hate who was cut off because I ran out of space on the sketch page). They all look kinda the same, so this next week I'm really going to focus on drawing all sorts of different faces. I bought a People magazine with every celebrity ever in it, so there will be plenty of facial types for me to choose from. I'm going to see if I can push the extremes: flat noses, long noses, short noses, thin noses, big noses, small noses, bulbous noses, narrow noses, etc. This goes for eyes, mouths, chins, etc. Once I get different facial types down, the following week will be devoted to head shapes. Round, square, oval, etc.

Hopefully, by the end of February I'll have the basic knowledge necessary to freehand some pretty good-looking faces and heads. This is something I've always, always wanted to do, and from here I can begin to construct the rest of the body based on the other stuff I learned last year. I left off at the shoulder, but I'm going to jump back and look at the neck some more. Then build on the shoulders, upper arms, lower arms, etc. But that's all past February and into the spring. Right now, though, my focus is solely on get faces and heads drawn properly.

...as an aside, next Thursday I'm getting my ADD diagnosed and myself put on a multi-modal program, partly medication and partly therapy/routines/exercises that'll hopefully diminish my wayward focus abilities. I think you'll see a ton of artwork coming from me in the next few weeks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy shit man *high five*

you are just an inspiration to amateur artists everywhere! the way you put your mind to learn how to actually draw teh human anatomy and the way it changes is amazing!

your progress is just blazing fast and leaves me waiting to see more of your studies.

....*awesome, just awesome*

"goes back to work on my sketchbook"

I my girlfriend & my book of sketches

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.