Art: Manifest: my short film done!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Manifest: my short film done!

Hey guys,

I wanted to share this with you all, because I respect so many of you here with your talent and dedication, and I thought you would appreciate this film.

I made this film with the intention of exploring life. All those struggles that are made through someone's life time choosing between the goods and evils that approach us.

I found out that I had a cancerous growth in my neck about a year before I made this film. I resulted in a paralyzed vocal chord, which took a year of speech therapy to correct, lingering nerve damage in my face and neck, and digestive problems that I'll ultimately deal with the rest of my life.

Now, I could have approached this situation any number of ways, but I believe it's how you choose to react and adapt to life's changes that define who you are.

Anyway, I ultimately ended up exploring how it is we adapt and cope with the choices we make in life (and more often then not, the choices life makes for us), who those choices effect, and how it reflects on a life "well lived". We are all presented with a gift every day, whether it be air to breath, food to eat, money, love, a shoulder to cry on, but every outcome to our reactions to these gifts has the potential to be influenced by good or evil, light or dark, right or wrong.

So without much more introduction, I present to you my short film, Manifest. I hope you enjoy.

**Edit: I recommend that you listen to it with some quality speakers or headphones - the version I uploaded was for theather style speakers, so there are some low frequency rumbles that sometimes don't register on most personal computer speakers.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work ! Nice concept and well executed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    veeery cool! My only crit is the hands at the beginning where they don't reflect the intention of the character.

Also, be careful to stay in model

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a smoker, I worry about cancer. If such a thing were to happen to me, I hope that I respond to it with the strength and resolve that you have. Great storytelling and I really like the fullcircle touch at the end with the new character.

The only thing that really stood out for me was when his hand was stretching out towards the tree. His body consistently stayed in the same position which bothers me because bones don't stretch. I can only guess that was a time saving measure.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback guys! It means a ton to me that you even watched. So thank you, thank you, thank you.

Mike Frank: Thanks a bunch. Concept really drove this piece, and I spent a loooong time hashing it out. heh.

Egerie: I'd actually, if you don't mind, like to hear more about what you mean of the main characters hands. Whatever your touching upon eludes me, but sounds notably interesting.

As far as staying on model, I know there are scenes he changes - that's what I get for using 2 -3 other people who only had maybe a month to learn the character and animate him. But all lessons learned.

Ian Mack: Thanks for your kind words Ian. I know people go through tough things every day. I hope that maybe I can help send a positive message to people through this.

As far as the arm stretching, it was a mixture of a lot of things: Inexperience in animating at the time, multiple people animating on the project, and running against the clock. This entire process was really 1 big learning experience - I'm just glad the film came out halfway decent in the end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nicely animated. I love how you are inspired by your situations in life. I guess expressing yourself in this way makes you an artist! Good job!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some really good animation in this. Looks like you spent a lot of time in the planning and storyboard stages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bendragon: Ya man, you nailed it. I think all the best stories that exist have been told based off of, or are taken directly from the story tellers own life. I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

cout < mecha: It's interesting, because the final product only took a few months to hash out, but I played around with the concept for the film for many months before that. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well.

I REALLY appreciate all the kind words guys. It means a lot to me, so thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

thet was SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

To some anything is art,but to me art is a reflection of truth and beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by madshark16 View Post
    Sweet....It makes me want to say a big word that i cannot pronounce. That is how awesome this is. I look forward to seeing much improvements this year.

MY CARTOON CHARATERS

MY SKETCH BOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done! It was good. Got any tips?

What software did you use?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aprentice: Haha. Thanks man, I'm glad you liked it!

pokepetter: Tip #1 - If you're working in a group, you better be absolutely, 100% sure that you can not only work with those people, but that you can also trust them to get stuff done on time, that they will take direction well, and that they won't take criticism on their work as personal attacks. In short, if its your first time directing, work small, and with a group of people you really, really trust.

As far as software used, it was done almost exclusively in Flash CS3, using a Cintiq Tablet. I used Adobe Premiere and After Effects to edit all the footage together, but that's really it. Tried to keep it simple and organized.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taves For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick note! The hands I was talking about look like they're out of a comic book with that perspective. He looks like he wants to squish that ball of light instead. Sorry, I am very demanding when it comes to posing and animating hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I understand. We all have our vices. Thanks for clarifying though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.