Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #80: Near future Commercial Airliner

IDW #80: Near future Commercial Airliner

Topic: Near Future Commercial Airliner

Background: Something a bit more serious and real world than normal this time. This doesn't mean this is a narrow topic, it just means there are certain boundaries to this topic.

Commercial Airliners can be anything from 'small' aircrafts that only serve on the short distances (between cities) or the very large ones (intercontinental flights). The main idea behind these crafts is that they transport large amounts of people in a relative small amount of time over a long distance.

Near future means that using a hyperdrive or traveling between the stars are not included in this topic. Think about airliners for the next 20 to 50 years.

However, even with these boundaries there are vast areas you can explore within this topic; try googling for the Boeing 787 for example, or search for several (fairly old actually) airplane designs by Luigi Colani. Think about the Spaceship One. Also, airports are changing too (think of the shift from mainland to an artificial island just off shore). Maybe the large airliners should become waterplanes again, like they used to be long ago.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw a near future Commercial Airliner!
    2. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Saturday, October 11

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 1382
Size:  7.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *girds loins*

i think.... im back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried some 3D model stuff for overpainting and stuff.Problem?

me thought about something like this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_vehicle
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=IgtaeRZjWNc

I remembered waterworld, pole melting and stuff in combination with fewer gasoline, so i got this concept.is this in or out of the rules?

Last edited by fughi from yuggoth; October 4th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doesn't see so aerodynamic on the front, but the rear is working out well enough. make sure to take into account landing (like yoitisi said), cabin area, and things of that nature. right now its looking a bit more like a space ship

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Legato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    overpainting isn't actually drawing it though. The model should be used as a reference, not a shortcut. I brought it up with Yoitisi for the Asteroid Miner. I felt that these contests should be an exercise of manual drawing skills and conceptual development, not an individual's proficiency with modeling programs.

fughi from yuggoth|| I think the design is, agreeing with Legato, a bit 1980s starship instead of near future aircraft, due to the angle transition and flat planes...I believe you can push the forms farther to become more dynamic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to f1guremeout For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Legato: Good to see you in here again Hope you'll get around to finishing something!

Arttorney: Do eeeeet! I might even update the old mentor thread someday soon...

Fughi from Yuggoth: A groun-effect plane is totally within the boundaries of this topic. In fact, I kinda hoped someone would pick that one up for this round I agree with the others though, it doesn't look all that aerodynamic at the moment. Make sure that if you're going to do a paintover you get rid of all the sharp corners and the blunt front end. If you look at concepts from Boeing for example, they're all very fluid and almost organic shapes.

f1guremeout: I partly agree with you on the paint-overs of 3d models. Just adding some texture and some dust and stuff to a 3d model in Photoshop or Painter doesn't really fit into this contest. However, I don't want to get rid of them altogether. Having a basic 3d model to help out with perspective and rough shapes is a very powerful tool to quickly develop multiple concepts on the same 'platform'. With a 3d model, you don't have to be so much concerned with the actual drawing of the concept but can now spend all your focus on the design of the concept. However, many people only use if for the first part and forget about that last part I'll monitor it a bit more closely in the future.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooooo, I'm going to have fun with this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an early wip. This private jet shuttles its clients to earth's outer orbit, where the massive glass encasing offers spectacular views. I want to go with a more asymmetrical design, with the cockpit on one side and navigating equipment on the other. More to come...

You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if i get time i may go with the solar panel idea- i figure gas is going wayside pretty near in the future, ya know?

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by f1guremeout View Post
    overpainting isn't actually drawing it though. The model should be used as a reference, not a shortcut. I brought it up with Yoitisi for the Asteroid Miner. I felt that these contests should be an exercise of manual drawing skills and conceptual development, not an individual's proficiency with modeling programs.
    This site is about concept art, that’s it. There is no law on how to achieve said art. Everyone has there own way about doing things. It is what makes each persons piece unique and interesting. If you take the time to view Kemp Remillard’s video for vehicle concepting, you will see that the 3d method is how he achieves his art. Look at the videos by Andrew Jones. He doesn’t draw a single thing. He used tons of images and shapes and somewhat draws with a lasso tool even though he spent a good deal of his life learning to draw. The preconceived notion that one must draw to create art is completely incorrect. If we all followed the same guidelines it would make for a very boring world. Let loose try some new methods. Painting requires skill just as much as anything (take Whit Brachna’s video for example). Just something to think about.

Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although I dont manage to get some done that often on this forum, i watch it almost daily. I have to agree with KMH. I dont use 3d myself, but to each his own, as long as the bottom line is the depiction of what the intent was, I believe in "use every tool in the box" theory. some will use 3d none, some almost soley. what ever gets the concept across the best for you.

Sogbad is another that comes to mind.

Yoitsi, I dont believe you have been remiss in your managment of this issue in any way. my opinon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kMh View Post
    This site is about concept art, that’s it. There is no law on how to achieve said art. Everyone has there own way about doing things. It is what makes each persons piece unique and interesting. If you take the time to view Kemp Remillard’s video for vehicle concepting, you will see that the 3d method is how he achieves his art. Look at the videos by Andrew Jones. He doesn’t draw a single thing. He used tons of images and shapes and somewhat draws with a lasso tool even though he spent a good deal of his life learning to draw. The preconceived notion that one must draw to create art is completely incorrect. If we all followed the same guidelines it would make for a very boring world. Let loose try some new methods. Painting requires skill just as much as anything (take Whit Brachna’s video for example). Just something to think about.
    Well it's not that i'm not aware of the use of 3D modeling for concept art, myself I utilize Rhino, Sketch Up, and Alias for my models when its time for presentation. However, it all comes down to the basic fundamentals of sketching and conceptual development of ideas, no matter what is the end product. It all starts with sketching is my point, and to neglect the process all together and disregard it's importance is naive and regressive. Even for Kemp Remillard, for the sake of his profession and his time constraints, he finds time to develop some conceptual diritive from sketching. That's primarily where it starts, not where it ends. Take a look at Paul Richards and his artwork for Quake 4, all sketches, and his almost religious routine of sketching and concept ideation. Yes, he does use 3-D, however, keep in mind that fundamentally, it must start from sketching. Many 3-D artists will admit that they "can't draw" and find that sketching is more of annoyance than an attribute. It's as if now many totally disregard the entire process, as if it's old fashioned or out of style, when it's really quite the opposite. Having a tactile grasp of an idea, an understanding of fundamental and advanced artistic abilities seperates an artist from a master. Anyone can draw, paint, or sculpt something if they really tried, but be dismissive of it...now, I'm not asking whether or not you can draw, my problem is the lack of sketching in this area to acclaim the level of complexity in the concepts people propose.

As Yoitsi said, many do, "with a 3d model, you don't have to be so much concerned with the actual drawing of the concept but can now spend all your focus on the design of the concept. However, many people only use if for the first part and forget about that last part."

That's both troubling and upsetting to me, i'm just expressing my feeling about the whole process here; to see so much talent and for it to seem so narrow to me is surprising. On the other hand, I never said 3-D was bad or detrimental to the design process, It seems a bit narrow-sighted and myopic to me to solely represent the development of a concept, from start to finish, in a 3-D program. To say that otherwise would be prolonging the tradition of skecth to render to model is has-been, is just dismissive to the whole concept of art. That process is STILL being used, and as long as the human concieves concept, one must always create some analog interpretation. That never goes away. Even in the automotive field, designers must still exhibit tremendous artistic skill and precision to intpretative drawing. You can't create the 3-D model from nothing. Too much time devoted to the end step than the focus of getting to that step is, for some, becoming overused.

As a center of reference, take a look at Paul Richards and read what he says about the whole process in his blog and call me a ranting heretic... pld:

(http://autodestruct.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a work in progress, didn't use any 3d programs for it heh,,,

I like the process of sketch to painting, and then if u need a model u transport sketch into a modeling program. not sure if this is what you all are talking about...drawing is so fun though, i dont know why someone would rob themselves of that,, but I wouldnt look down on anyone for using it because a lot of amazing artwork is created that way , so, I think they key to art is just finding the process that works best for you, although im a pretty new artist so....I'm not like an authority or anything

i didnt do any brainstorming or thumbnails for the plane, i didnt even look at any ref of airplanes lol... just did it out of head, so I will probably do something much different for the final, because we have so much time....
    cheers

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did it very near future..

second version:

Last edited by benkashmir; October 6th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's not that i'm not aware of the use of 3D modeling for concept art, myself I utilize Rhino, Sketch Up, and Alias for my models when its time for presentation. However, it all comes down to the basic fundamentals of sketching and conceptual development of ideas, no matter what is the end product. It all starts with sketching is my point, and to neglect the process all together and disregard it's importance is naive and regressive. Even for Kemp Remillard, for the sake of his profession and his time constraints, he finds time to develop some conceptual diritive from sketching. That's primarily where it starts, not where it ends. Take a look at Paul Richards and his artwork for Quake 4, all sketches, and his almost religious routine of sketching and concept ideation. Yes, he does use 3-D, however, keep in mind that fundamentally, it must start from sketching. Many 3-D artists will admit that they "can't draw" and find that sketching is more of annoyance than an attribute. It's as if now many totally disregard the entire process, as if it's old fashioned or out of style, when it's really quite the opposite. Having a tactile grasp of an idea, an understanding of fundamental and advanced artistic abilities seperates an artist from a master. Anyone can draw, paint, or sculpt something if they really tried, but be dismissive of it...now, I'm not asking whether or not you can draw, my problem is the lack of sketching in this area to acclaim the level of complexity in the concepts people propose.

As Yoitsi said, many do, "with a 3d model, you don't have to be so much concerned with the actual drawing of the concept but can now spend all your focus on the design of the concept. However, many people only use if for the first part and forget about that last part."

That's both troubling and upsetting to me, i'm just expressing my feeling about the whole process here; to see so much talent and for it to seem so narrow to me is surprising. On the other hand, I never said 3-D was bad or detrimental to the design process, It seems a bit narrow-sighted and myopic to me to solely represent the development of a concept, from start to finish, in a 3-D program. To say that otherwise would be prolonging the tradition of skecth to render to model is has-been, is just dismissive to the whole concept of art. That process is STILL being used, and as long as the human concieves concept, one must always create some analog interpretation. That never goes away. Even in the automotive field, designers must still exhibit tremendous artistic skill and precision to intpretative drawing. You can't create the 3-D model from nothing. Too much time devoted to the end step than the focus of getting to that step is, for some, becoming overused.

As a center of reference, take a look at Paul Richards and read what he says about the whole process in his blog and call me a ranting heretic... pld:

(http://autodestruct.com
    lol I will not go as far as calling you a ranting heretic, sorry =). But I think your completely reading into this more than is necessary. Maybe my first response was to in depth and rambling for my personal opinion. So let’s stop and review this. Let’s take this problem and strip away all the needless thought from it. What is the truth of the problem, it comes down to personal preference.

Your personal preference (along with mine btw) is for people to do sketches, get there rough idea down first and then progress. However, the simple fact is this, people can do whatever they choose and this applies to art as well. They can make a 3D model from scratch and just throw some colors on it if they so choose and call it art though, the effect from this is that it will feel incomplete and most people wouldn’t vote for it anyways. Therefore, it affects no one other than the person that created the art. And hopefully the effect of which will be the person stopping to think “how can I make this better”.

Art can be achieved a million different ways and we have no place to say whether it is right or wrong, only our own person preference and for us to push this preference on anyone else because we feel like they are cheating compared to all the hard work we might have done learning to draw is wrong.

All we can do is share our methods, hope they try them out and learn something in the process, which I believe this site is all about. However, this thread is for IDW so I’m done. I wish you the best.

(Btw thank you for the link.)

Last edited by kMh; October 5th, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
    Kenny
    "The greatest obstacle to discovery isn't ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lann your rough looks great in my opinion. The only thing I see is its kind of boxy and I’m not so sure about how well a box can fly lol. I suppose it all depends on the method for propulsion might be neat to look up some future propulsion methods that might be in the works and try to incorporate some of it into your design. Either way I stand by my first statement, it looks great. I’m looking forward to seeing the final.

Kenny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    count me in on this one. Good work so far and I have enjoyed reading opinions here concerning 3D and utilizing different ways to get to a final concept design.

myself, I have used 3D as base models for many projects including a couple weeklies, namely in EOW. For this round here though I will be doing a perspective grid with the old pencils and pens, and once I get a good design sketched it will come into PS and Painter. But that's just how I see this design going without having started it yet. Who knows, between now and deadline anything can happen

23. The Following User Says Thank You to artiphats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    big blocky objects make for slow flying bricks. I know i've yet to post a wip, but there only seems to be a few of you who get the idea of aerodynamics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The subject of using 3d models in any of the weekly activities has been brought up many times before, not least of all in IDW. Apart from personal preferences, there are some important points to make on the subject. However, before we derail the initial idea behind this thread too much I must ask you all to move the discussion to the appropriate thread (namely, the activity discussion thread ). That way it'll also be available and easily accessible long after this round has closed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the plane's color scheme is based of early corvette colors, and the plane is going to be used as a business meeting in the sky, offering only the best in air travel. i'm not trying to go overboard in strange shapes like im used to doing(sci-fi) i am trying to keep it pretty simple, while adding little touches here and there

Last edited by thescala; October 6th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thescala – nice wip, I personally like the simple design. Sometimes that’s what works best. I just wanted to point out that the wings are at different angles. The one on the left is going straight out from the plane and the one on the right is going out and back. Might just be because of the lack of shading from being a wip but, I thought I would mention it anyways. I need people to point stuff out to me all the time lol. looking forward to seeing the end result.

Kenny

28. The Following User Says Thank You to kMh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i see what ur talking about, ill have to make some adjustments then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

i think im done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by atomatik View Post
    big blocky objects make for slow flying bricks. I know i've yet to post a wip, but there only seems to be a few of you who get the idea of aerodynamics.
    Ha ha ha! You mean our industrial designs have to be plausible? Don't worry, mine will be aerodynamic. I'm doing it with a penciled perspective grid, though, so the knock on it will probably end up being that it is distorted somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here are my lines... not sure if i will get around to submission X_X... also not sure of the front wing should have the jet visible on the far side...

anyway, i'll see if i can get something final worthy in, just so i can explain my thoughts behind the design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seems like you dudes are drawing spaceships instead of doing research. let me tease you. so far i've got this:

a blended wing, canard hybrid with variable geometry wings (like the f14 and f111) being powered by both a scram jet and conventional turbine engines. the top view is drawn, side and front view to come. sorry, no photo yet

Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    Ha ha ha! You mean our industrial designs have to be plausible? Don't worry, mine will be aerodynamic. I'm doing it with a penciled perspective grid, though, so the knock on it will probably end up being that it is distorted somehow.
    perhaps i'm too grounded by the laws of physics, but there's a reason why airplanes are sleek and smooth. big square surfaces= Friction= drag = slow as freaking hell and handles like a truck. stick your hand out the window next time you're in the car and see what happens when you move it from the horzontal to the vertical.

Last edited by atomatik; October 8th, 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by atomatik View Post
    seems like you dudes are drawing spaceships instead of doing research. let me tease you. so far i've got this:

a blended wing, canard hybrid with variable geometry wings (like the f14 and f111) being powered by both a scram jet and conventional turbine engines. the top view is drawn, side and front view to come. sorry, no photo yet

perhaps i'm too grounded by the laws of physics, but there's a reason why airplanes are sleek and smooth. big square surfaces= Friction= drag = slow as freaking hell and handles like a truck. stick your hand out the window next time you're in the car and see what happens when you move it from the horzontal to the vertical.
    LOL.

Do what I do. Wait. Don't let on to their faults, I have something in the works also. Think...Ghost in The Shell vehicles...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL.

Do what I do. Wait. Don't let on to their faults, I have something in the works also. Think...Ghost in The Shell vehicles...
    ghost in the what? i have this aversion to anime and manga. please refrain from these references, they make my inner art critic cringe with dismay. NOOOOOO!! QUICKLY DRAWN CARTOON PORN!

i would wait, but i hate to see people shoot themselves in the foot because they didn't bother to think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, easy now. Before you blow a gasket over their talents, let's save that crit for after the contest is over. Let your final design do the talking. Remember that most of these guys aren't industrial designers. So the ideation process for conceptual development is almost non-existent here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.