Art: WIP female parts

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP female parts

I have been not sculpting for a couple years. I have decided to get back to it, with a vengeance. I just did this head in the last couple days and am starting my 100 heads challenge as soon as I have a blog up to put it on.

In the mean time any comments about this would be appreciated. My biggest issue is getting the tools right (or techniques) for working at this scale. I can usually get what I want down to maybe a three inch head. But at this size (1/6 scale) I run into a lot of logistical problems.

It is my intention to get good enough to start putting out resin kits or figures. And my anatomy is decent, but I want these heads to be perfect. It bothers my to see a good figure with a weird looking face on it. (especially if it's a female, which is mostly what I'm doing)

Anyway, any suggestions would be great. thanks (please ignore the ears for now. You can give me ear-help, but you don't have to tell me that these suck 'cuz I just stuck 'em there to get started on them.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by CGantelope; September 30th, 2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: corrected attachment
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far, it looks good, although I think the nose might need to be refined a bit. Also, the eyebrows are kind of thick and bushy for a female. What kind of tools are you using? Sometimes you can make your own if you can't find what you need.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cross View Post
    So far, it looks good, although I think the nose might need to be refined a bit. Also, the eyebrows are kind of thick and bushy for a female. What kind of tools are you using? Sometimes you can make your own if you can't find what you need.
    the nose has been annoying me. I think I have no feel for this scale yet. It should be the right shape but it may be out of scale to the head. Not sure.

I have 1 dental/wax spoon type tool and a few different sized ball styluses. ...and a small wire loop tool that I made from an E string.

The clay is a blend of super sculpey and sculpey 3 and is MUCH too soft to work at this size. So I'm guessing my next head will work easier since I'll use the firm gray for it. (although I have a LOT of super sculpey laying around, so I have to perfect my leaching skills to get it to be significantly firmer. Or I could just use it for bigger stuff.)

And at this size it feels almost like I have never sculpted an ear before (though since I do females mostly I often have them covered with hair anyway. But I need to be able to get them right.)

I own a bunch of sculpture house loop tools but they are too big for this size.

Eyes are completely impossible with the tools I have now. That's why they're closed. I'm not sure if I need a different tool or a different approach. (like many years ago when I first tried to sculpt small I discovered that if you do things in a specific order you can create details that are much smaller than your tools by kind of stacking them. and finishing one area BEFORE you add the parts that would get in your way.) But that method requires too much planning and isn't really practical for precision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like you don't have enough variety of tools. I think you need some pointy tools, like a needle point or dental pick. You can make one simply by taping a needle to end of a pencil. They are great for making lines like wrinkles or hair lines on eyebrows. Also, there is a special sculpting tool that has a blunt point...I find it great for shaping and smoothing clay.

As for the eyes, you can pre-bake some balls of clay and then stick them into sockets...then it is just a matter of making eyelids.

Hope this helps.

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW. that ball thing is a great idea! I feel like a retard though 'cuz I use balls on larger sculpts but didn't think of it on the small ones. duh.

Could you describe this "special sculpting tool that has a blunt point". or tell me where to look for one. thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's called a "foot". I found it at Kemper Tools. It's the one on top right at http://www.kempertools.com/index.php...atalog&page=29

Saw some other cool tools on there that I don't have...I will have to check them out myself.

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.