Need Motivation, Inspiration Or just a good Kick in The Ass?, Then look In here - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Need Motivation, Inspiration Or just a good Kick in The Ass?, Then look In here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Every time i need a quick kick in the ass i check out Feng Zhu's free tutorials on his youtube channel, very good stuff in there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I feel so shitty today.... All my stuff sucks lol. No one comments in my sketchbook.... I hope I feel better tomorow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do people (OHI, in particular) find sometimes that it's only fun when they're doing what they consider 'good' works? All I can say is to throw that thought out of the mental window. I believe it was mentioned on another thread that it doesn't matter if you have a few 'crap' ones, or what you might consider a handful.

Because, if you put your all into a session, then you should have nothing to worry about. At all.

It helps to clear your mind and direct your thinking- if it's clouded with the 'this is shit, I fail' cobweb, then you need Raz to go into your mind and clear them all out with a duster. </psychonautsreference>. That's all they are- cobwebs, dusty old 'thought processes' that block and dirty your thought track. It doesn't get you anywhere.

I kid, you can de-cobweb yourself. Like the OP said, it's all a matter of will. I.e you 'will' do it, or you won't. If there are 'crap' bits everywhere you look in your drawings, it's just a matter of really thinking about and identifying WHAT you think is 'crap'. Then think about how you can tackle it (research, post for crits)- and the next time you try, you might find you not only get better, but feel better enough to play and have fun as well.

-------------

*taken from another thread*

If you have a short attention span, work on it by doing little things at a time. Don't expect yourself to be able to sit and work for several hours (let alone days) solid, just cut it up into bits. Say- if you want to do a painting, learn how to speedpaint, and work on two or three, one after another, while your mind is still fresh. Then you can learn to be more disciplined in your work ethic, as you can be sure that you can work well in short bursts.

Attention spans can grow, but interest for art is entirely that- down to interest. If your interest is waning so much that you can't bear to sit and draw anything at all, your best bet is to give up. If you really, really want to do art deep down, and you're not sure, then sit and write down all the things that you like about doing it. Really think about it.

Then it's just a case of tackling the issues that come with it. Think about it as nurturing a child.

Most of all- ask yourself if you have fun with it, or if you want to have fun with it. Then find out how!

Last edited by MightyApplejacks; November 26th, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: clarification and post moving

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyApplejacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, Feng Zhu has this positive effect on people. For several weeks I just can't wait for Monday to come to see his new video. Better than every show on tv.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I must confess to having a major self-discipline issue when it comes to drawing, especially when I have to draw something that I don't find particularly interesting for the sake of training. I know on a cognitive level that I will have to draw mundane, boring subject matter (e.g. still lifes of everyday objects) if I want to get better, but it's not as fun as drawing, say, dinosaurs.

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow this is awesome ... enough reading material, followed by self reflection is what I needed to get them gears running again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, great thread.
    What I read in "Algenpfleger's Rant" really rings true for me. I remember reading smth quite similar to that, stating, that the internal change you have to go thru is at least as important as the external changes.
    check that out here:
    http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/201...un-in-circles/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool motivational video:
    Compare Your Life To Pixar

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grzesieks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://inoveryourhead.net/the-comple...giving-a-fuck/

really, it's allllllllll in your head

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14. The Following User Says Thank You to awsnif For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pegasi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see here people saying that making bad drawings isn't that bad. But what makes me scared to make something bad, is that teachers say that only a bit of my work is good, and the rest is crap. So I am not allowed to make crap. I should make continue great work, which I just can't. (who can? only great artists, which I'm not).
    Maybe having no sketchbook anymore, and only using loose papers will help, so I can throw away all the bad things (but not too much, or they will say I don't work)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @xNatje, your teachers should not be making you scared. That's not helpful. Do they at least explain why your work is crap? Great artists became great progressively, through learning, which you also can do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They explain it very vague (or at least, I don't understand it always). It's mostly not about proportions or composition, but about the content. And that is a difficult part of me. All I want is to create beautiful work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @xNatje , no work is "crap". Even work that doesn't live up to expectations is GOOD work... it is practice, and mistakes are healthy. You learn from them, and you practice more and more until you work through it, then you make more mistakes. Never pretend they didn't happen and squirrel them away, or worse, throw them out. To me there is little more satisfying than finding an old sketchbook and comparing it to recent works, to see how much you've grown.

The last thing you want is to be too afraid to draw because you are scared you will create "crap"!! Just let it all out... let the mistakes happen!! Because if you just freeze up every time you think something isn't going to come out perfect, you will stagnate! Trust me, no matter how good you are, you will always see mistakes in your work. There would be a whole lot less awesome artwork in the world if every artist didn't produce just because they saw something in their work they weren't happy with.

Last edited by LEvans; November 23rd, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That was exactly the problem. I didn't see any growth. now the last weeks I see growth, because I went back to my roots. It's there I found myself back. Nothing is worse then hearing (and seeing it yourself) that your newer work is worse then your older. Now I finally feel that my work gets a bit better again. I'm a bit more proud again, though there are still things that could get better ofcourse.
    How comes we don't see mistakes in great artist's work? I wonder if they feel/felt the same way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    someone sent me this link a couple of days ago and i thought i'd share it here as i feel it echoes what has said numerous amount of time on this forum.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=46

Sketchbook

Support Group:
    jtaart | mrianna | Kashmir

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch some Kim Jung Gi sketch demos:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/superani00

Parka Blogs <- Most dangerous blog for artists (and their wallets).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I really love this forum because it helps out a lot of artists in a nice way (constructive criticism, etc.). Thank you for posting this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Pilcher View Post
    I must confess to having a major self-discipline issue when it comes to drawing, especially when I have to draw something that I don't find particularly interesting for the sake of training. I know on a cognitive level that I will have to draw mundane, boring subject matter (e.g. still lifes of everyday objects) if I want to get better, but it's not as fun as drawing, say, dinosaurs.
    instead of thinking about sketching, try holding a pencil in your hand for 5 minutes in front of a piece of paper thats what i do and usually works i am drawing in no time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I can't help but have these self-destructive feelings while I draw. Usually, it's some kind of sick feeling in my stomach, mostly caused by fear of making something that looks bad, or ugly. I know consciously that even making bad artwork is still a step towards progression, but mere knowledge doesn't stop those feelings from bubbling inside me and compulse me to not draw when I'm not feeling very positive about it.

Don't get me wrong; every day, I spare at the very least 15 minutes for drawing. But as someone who'd prefer to be able to consistently spare two hours at minimum, it's rather worrying.

It's just too bad that people can't just shut off their feelings like they could flip a switch. Would be nice to be able to only be self-critical AFTER a drawing has been made :/

Last edited by Tespy; June 9th, 2014 at 12:06 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 233