Troll
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Troll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Troll

This is a troll I made in Photoshop, I used a zbrush sculpt for the base (I don't do that anymore, I made it just for testing).

Based in the Warcraft troll, of course.

Comments and critique are welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could take the piece further with stronger lighting. I'd add darker shadow areas and brighter highlights. Perhaps add some odd colored rim lighting on one side of the head to give it more depth. Good job on the earrings and hair and blue warpaint.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by klortho View Post
    I'd add darker shadow areas and brighter highlights. Perhaps add some odd colored rim lighting on one side of the head to give it more depth.
    no? sorry to be nitpicky about someone else's advice but the lighting is way too harsh right now. The shadows are already being wiped out with pure black and the tusks have no lighting applied to them, looks like they're luminescent.

I'd say take some of the darker greens and blues and go over the black areas. Describe the form in the shade with darker and less saturated colours, not black.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice, one thing I notice is that the skin color seems to be the same throughout the entire face, you may want to add some variations such as colder blues in the shadows and more vibrant colors in the lite areas. also the nose is a bit flat, otherwise nice troll face

6. The Following User Says Thank You to James Wolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys I know I have a lot to improve, I'll consider your coments in my next drawing, ok no more pure black and no more flat colors.

Thanks a lot, I'll post another work soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, the eyes are too bright. They should be in shadow, but you have them pure white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ears seem a little generic and dashed off- they lack the character and sense of a unique reality that is in the rest of the face, they seem to lack some of the structure of the other features and come off kind of flat. I like the expression a lot. Keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, great troll! They look fantastic in WoW, and even better in digital paintings.

First thing that you could tackle are some proportion issues (his right nose nostril, left brow, left cheek). I laid out arrows indicating where they could be directed, also be sure to recheck the shape of the head. I like your values and color as well as some accessory details and mishapen parts.

The earings and bone in ear are great! My eyes are a little drawn toward the tusks however. His left tusk curves upward while his right bends off slightly. It makes sense, constantly eating but with teeth that big they could tend to bend really, really far or sometimes break off!

Let me know how it goes and I look forward to see your results!

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Metcalf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Metcalf View Post
    Ah, great troll! They look fantastic in WoW, and even better in digital paintings.

First thing that you could tackle are some proportion issues (his right nose nostril, left brow, left cheek). I laid out arrows indicating where they could be directed, also be sure to recheck the shape of the head. I like your values and color as well as some accessory details and mishapen parts.

The earings and bone in ear are great! My eyes are a little drawn toward the tusks however. His left tusk curves upward while his right bends off slightly. It makes sense, constantly eating but with teeth that big they could tend to bend really, really far or sometimes break off!

Let me know how it goes and I look forward to see your results!
    Thanks for the tips man, I agree with everythink =D I think I'll make another Troll soon and post in the critique center again =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.