Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    Quick dumb question ... What is "Teh Latecomers Sketch Group"??
    A sketchgroup for people who started their artistic studies a little late in life. I started studying two and a half years ago at age 18 (I think I may be the youngest in the group though). We all help each other out and provide encouragement and support.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    hey great management of volume as always Sir
    keep it up

Thanks
    Excellent figure work here, very impressive. No critiques from me, just praise :d

Thanks
    krel- Thanks krel, that is a real compliment to me because I really admire Mentler's work and he is one of my influences. I will try to continue experimenting with painting while keeping up with my figure studies.

bkkm- Thank you for pointing that out to me, I will try to pay more attention to my proportions which has always been a weak point of mine. Thanks again for stopping by my sketchbook.

andres333- Thank you. There's some very nice construction in your studies as well.

cgaddict- Everybody likes to be praised, though I do feel guilty about it. Thank you for the compliment, I'm still working on improving.

I was experimenting with toned paper and having fun with that. Hopefully I can produce something better for next update, I'm not entirely satisfied with this batch.

Sketchbook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey mate, diggin those, looks like your back on track since your break (and even more so).

School is killing my lately so thats why im so absent Hope to be back 100% soon. Take care!
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cam View Post
    A sketchgroup for people who started their artistic studies a little late in life. I started studying two and a half years ago at age 18 (I think I may be the youngest in the group though). We all help each other out and provide encouragement and support.
    Can I join, Im 23 and started late last year
    -----------------------------------------
    My Website!
    http://www.whirlydesign.com

My Artstation
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/whirly

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirly View Post
    Can I join, Im 23 and started late last year
    You'll have to ask Krel that but I'm sure it'll be fine, the more the merrier.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    sir what did you use to make the highlights in the last drawings?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andres333 View Post
    sir what did you use to make the highlights in the last drawings?
    It was just white conte pencil on the toned paper. Pastels work great too, anything vibrant. White colored pencil (like prismacolor or whatever) don't do as well due to the wax base.

Sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Have you seen Tintorettos drawings?
    Some of your looser stuff reminded me of him.
    Sir_Cam's Art Stuff

Later!
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Krel- Thanks dude, I am a huge fan of all the old masters, Tinteretto included so it's a nice compliment that someone might see similarities between my work and theirs (though I am of course, no master).

I haven't really been drawing that much lately but this is what I have. Hopefully I will be able to come up with some more interesting stuff next update. Please forgive the poor quality of the colored ones, I am very inexperienced in these mediums still. I was just experimenting with Pastels, watercolor, and acrylic. No, I don't have a thing for bald women, I just couldn't be arsed to come up with a hairstyle for them as I was working from imagination on all of these.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    A portrait of my father done with Charcoal and kneaded eraser for his 61st birthday. I think I could have pushed the contrast and accents a bit farther, it doesn't quite pop.

EDIT: I added some doodles so the update wasn't so sparse. You might notice multiple drawings of the same pose, that is because I was trying to better understand it.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; July 30th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    It pains me to say (b-day gift n all) but Im not a fan of the charcoal portrait. Its obvious charcoal is not your strongest medium. Did you do it from a photo? Its has this feeling of a photocopy either way.
    Sorry to be so harsh, but you dont pay me to lick your behind
    (You dont pay me at all, but IF you had been. Sorry..im tired..ignore my tomfoolery.)

The figure drawings are great as always.
    In the 3 color portraits I actually think your skulls look kinda weird. I dont really get a sense of a real skull in there. Feels more like a balloon. (The face structure is great thou, its the back of the skull that im not sure about).
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

17. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Don't ever feel obligated to compliment me, my work is far from great.

I think I know what you mean about the portrait. Though I was satisfied with it, I think the fact that I was trying to get the likeness was distracting me from the fundamentals such as structure, rhythm, and anatomy. I just need more practice.

I decided that I would begin developing my professional portfolio soon and I intend to fill it with work that demonstrates the full scope of my knowledge. I think those drawings and paintings will be more interesting than what I've been putting out lately as I really haven't been feeling very inspired.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I've been having a bit of a block lately as evidenced by my lack of updates though I feel I've been starting to pull out of it. These are just a collection of some of the miscellaneous things I doodled during the block. The colored one was painted with acrylic. It was supposed to be an armor wearing knight but due to the fact that I am inexperienced in both working with paint and drawing armor, I became unhappy with how it was turning out and gave up on it. Maybe I'll try again some other time.

No, I haven't begun working on my professional portfolio yet but I still plan to of course.

Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dude.

i think you're at the point now where you have structure down well enough to work on variations. it seems like you're somewhat stuck on what hampton does. you have the ideals down, now you just need to pick what to emphasize and what to de-emphasize, and that will help with your characterization. it's not a knock on you at all...basically, i'm saying that you're good enough to be confident in leaving the strict hampton stuff (not the techniques and process learned, just his style: extra long and skinny lower legs, ill-defined male/female distinctions like the hip-shoulder ratio, head shapes that have mostly a high-boned back of the head, etc) and stepping out on your own! congratulations; you've leveled up!!! try some more body types: fat people, skinny people, muscular people, people with certain skewed proportions (dwarves and midgets, contortionists, etc)...learn to observe how "real" people vary from the "ideal", and add that to your repertoire as well. to me, that seems to be the next step from where you are. you're already really solid with the ideals and with form, now it needs to become more "real".

in the portrait, the whole point is to get the likeness. but, the likeness can be made mostly through structure. the thing is, instead of importing ideal structure and placing a likeness on top of that, you need to really observe the structure of the head in front of you (basically how it varies from "ideal"), and work on reproducing that. there's a video in the G'mon library by Ron Lemen on portraits that i think could really help you out; it's helping me out now. but yeah, you have the ideals down, more work on the variations. cause you're good like that. g'luck man, and i can't wait to see the things you will produce.
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

22. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    very nice studies mate ...... went through all the pages really nice ........ did u use watercolor to paint that color portrait in the first page ? i really like that keep it up

Thanks
    purb36- I understand what you mean. I am going to try to work more realism into my work along with other things such as foreshortening. Thanks for the tip on portraiture, I will definitely work on applying that next time. Thanks for the comment.
    agrmrs- Yes, it was a ball point pen sketch that I painted with watercolor, I still do plan to do more of those sometime because it's a fun technique when it works. I like your statues by the way, I have some molding clay in my closet because I wanted to see if I could sculpt. I might post a picture of my sculpture when and if I ever get around to making one.

Just a couple of trees painted with acrylic and some more pencil doodles. I was mainly working on my procedure with the paintings. I've been slacking quite a bit, blah.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I've mostly been working on color, I still have a lot to learn. The tree was colored with acrylic, the other was digital.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I think you are going to be fine, your work is already getting good, appreciating the importance of construction. But if theres a tip that i wish i followed years ago, its

Dont get comfortable!!!!

I would do a drawing that i was happy with, and say to myself 'great i can do that', whereas i should have said - you can ALWAYS do better!!'

Is that Vilppu you are taking lessons from in some of your figure drawings?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 8bit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit View Post
    I think you are going to be fine, your work is already getting good, appreciating the importance of construction. But if theres a tip that i wish i followed years ago, its

Dont get comfortable!!!!

I would do a drawing that i was happy with, and say to myself 'great i can do that', whereas i should have said - you can ALWAYS do better!!'

Is that Vilppu you are taking lessons from in some of your figure drawings?
    Of course I feel that I can do better with my figure drawing. In fact, I am certain of it. I know I have plenty of untapped potential still, it's just a matter of time before I pull more of it out.

Vilppu is indirectly a big influence on me, my primary teacher is Sheldon Borenstein (Vilppu's student) and the biggest influence on my figure drawing style wise is probably Michael Hampton (who I hear studied under Vilppu). I have studied Vilppu's videos and I own a few of his books too so he has also had some direct influence on me in that way. So yeah, I'm a big fan.

Sketchbook

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    really good , i see your anatomy drawings and your other drawings they feel so good , i suggest try to draw life subjects .
    On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    You really have the 3D construction method down.

I was wondering if it might me helpful/eyeopening to step out of the confort zone and do some tonal/optical work. Look at it from the other side and it might reveal more about your technique and you could do with concertrating on. Just a thought.

Thanks for all your help on my sketchbook too
    -----------------------------------------
    My Website!
    http://www.whirlydesign.com

My Artstation
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/whirly

My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    raminafshari- Thank you for the comment. I will try to pay more attention to my reference while drawing.

Whirly I agree. I tried that a little bit with the graphite portrait in this post but it was harder than I thought it would be. I will practice it more. Thanks for stopping by whirly.

I have a lot to post but it's mostly just doodles. I doodle far FAR more often than I do any serious studies, I am just lazy. I hear the advice you all are recommending and I agree. I really need to get off my ass and be more serious about my work. I think that as soon as I start getting in some art classes in college, I will have significantly more motivation to impress. As it is, I just feel tired, almost bored. I am enjoying being able to experiment with my work but I cant seem to find the energy to really try to do something great. I know that I can do much better, I'm just struggling to find the will to try to reach that greatness.

Long story short, I lack discipline. I will try harder.

The following contains a couple of studies based on Aztecfireflower's work whom is a great inspiration to me and a color study based on a painting by this guy: http://kanartist.deviantart.com/ . The rest are just assorted doodles.

Sketchbook

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I mean sometimes you seem like you don't know where to put the second leg. Like there is a first leg that makes sense and a body that looks dynamic and beautiful followed by this kind of "?" of a second leg. Other than that dude, your style is the best style, you killed my master kind of shit. Your art-fu is just too fucking powerful.

Thanks
    Looking good! I really enjoyed your sketches. It's inspired me to go and pick up the Hampton book and dig up those Sheldon videos out of storage somewhere to actually finish watching them!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    hey man, great studies! keep it up, their doing you good!

Thanks
    batcustard- Thanks for the comment, I will try to keep more of an eye on that. I have a habit of exaggerating the flexibility of my figures a little too much to the point where it looks really unrealistic. I will work on that, thank you.

rusalka- I really appreciate that you write that. Sheldon was my first teacher and Hampton is a big influence on my style and progression as well.

ryanoir- Thank you. I will try.

I've been a little depressed about my drawing lately, hence why it's been such a long time since my last post. I didn't stop drawing or anything, I just felt like I needed some time to improve before I came back here. I've been studying Vilppu a lot and I have learned some things. I'm sure that I haven't made any dramatic improvement or anything but I feel like I'm starting to get back on the back track and regain some of my confidence.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; November 20th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.

Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great stuff, it seems like as if one could not progress and out of the blue one day everything is great, then the next day, crap again, but this great days came more and more often and then one day it's like you know certain things that you didn't even knew you knew.
    My opinion is, practice the shoulders and the neck (again: it's the weekest part in vilppu's method). Also, get into heads and hands more carefully, more methodically, be careful of putting enough mass for the forehead and the brain. Try to erase the cartoony look, the exageration, even you may look for poses that are less cool looking but more real. Always ask your self if that's how it would look like if it were real. It's good every one in a while to draw the structure of a person in a photo as a layer and then to take the picture off to compare the construction outline with one of yours (since then you see with your own style and construction method how it should look like).
    Wichever part you think is week do it over and over, and analyze your mistakes.
    If you can try to get into Zbrush. working for example with zspeheres lets you move the features easily, so you can move them over and over until you find the right way. This lets you explore proportions in a better way.
    It's all about getting use to the way the main gesture should look like, and so to spot mistakes earlier.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to lennon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great to see your discipline (constructive drawings)! Keep on posting!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast