Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Looking good man! Just keep going, your doing great.

Also you dont always have be be motivated or feel inspired. Just do it. I also struggled to pick up the pen, but im starting to get over it now. Just draw and if it doesnt look so great all the time, who cares. Your doing this to improve right, not to put it at an exhibition.

I like to start with a few quick posemaniacs everyday, just to get going. Also I know it will look like shit anyway so its a great way to just do _something_.
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your sketchbook makes me cry man!!

The last pic, the girl standing is perfect. Good rythm, good proportions, nice lines, we clearly see what is going back and forward and also lots of cal state cool

Draw more because... I want to see more!!
    ] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey mate inspirational sketchbook! your working really smart and hard it will pay off in time, but i think you need to analyse your philopshy a little. Your getting too hung up on failiure, when failiure is the biggest part of success, i can explain more if you like its a bridge we've all gotta cross at some point you seem to give really good critique would you drop by my sketchbook and give me a bit off direction?
    dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nrx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    krel- You have a positive outlook, lol. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the comment.

DiR3Kt- Thanks very much. Honestly I think it was just a fluke that it turn out like it did but I am trying to learn from it. I appreciate the comment.

Nrx- Thanks, I like the thought that I might be working efficiently. I know that in the long run, failing at this stage doesn't matter. I'm still a student, my well being doesn't depend on my success quite yet. Still, my worst fear is that I will not be good enough to compete when the time comes. I am putting all of my eggs into a single basket by pursuing this path and it is quite risky. Unfortunately, I have no alternative.

I really wanted to hold off on posting until I got a drawing with a decent pair of hands in there but I was just unable to produce it. I know how important this is. If I were to critique my own work, the first thing I would point out is my lack of well defined hands and feet. I really need to work on this.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

Thanks
    It looks like you have a good start at the general form of the hand over the head on the figure in the bottom right. Maybe focus on that one?

Thanks
    Mae_Haftahurcha-Well, what I meant was that I need to get into the habit of drawing the figure complete with hands and feet, you know? I would be missing the point to go back and add them to an old drawing. I'll work on drawing more complete figures in the upcoming posts.

These are just a bunch of gestures based on Michael Hampton's work, I plan to do a lot of studies from his book. I have a lot of bad habits that I need to work on with gesture drawing but the two main ones that jump out at me is that I have a hard time getting the head over the weight and that I also can become fairly sloppy. I need to work on it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Your understanding of the figure perplexes me. Nice! Great stuff! Keep going at it, I will look back at this thread for sure.

Merry christmas!

Thanks
    Alternative- Thank you very much, I still have a lot to learn.

I'm working through my copy of Figure Drawing: Design and Invention by Michael Hampton from start to finish hence why I'm doing so many gestures, it's the first chapter. I am not drawing every single illustration in the book though, I am just drawing the ones that I think I can learn something from. I can generally do okay gestures, what I really struggle with is putting the construction on top of the gesture and I'll be working on that soon. Honestly, this method of drawing is very unnatural to me but I am forcing myself to learn it because from what I can tell, most of the best artists in the world draw in this manner.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Only seeing the cover, Michael Hamption's figure drawing looks a bit like Sheldon's no ? It definitively looks interesting

Your last post is much better than the previous so keep studying it! draw! draw! draw! draw!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DiR3Kt View Post
    Only seeing the cover, Michael Hamption's figure drawing looks a bit like Sheldon's no ? It definitively looks interesting

Your last post is much better than the previous so keep studying it! draw! draw! draw! draw!
    Yeah, Hampton is a former student of Vilppu's, just like Sheldon. In my opinion, Hampton's style and methods more closely mimic that of Vilppu, they're virtually identical though Hampton's work places much greater emphasis on clarifying the fundamentals which makes his illustrations easier to understand (in other words, his work intentionally lacks the subtlety of Vilppu's for the sake of making learning from it easier). Hampton's book is definitely my favorite of the bunch, it is incredibly thorough. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; December 29th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I'm starting to think that I simply can't work the way Vilppu does, I just struggle too much with putting construction on top of the gesture. I normally make the construction flow with the gesture rather than keeping the two completely separate. Placing stiff construction on top of a loose gesture is very unnatural to me. I think the point that I might have been missing is that he wants the figure to have solid visual structure which just means hards against softs, straights against curves, design, etc. I guess I'm beginning to realize that I have been worrying far too much about the method when what matters is the result. So from now on, I'm going to try to just do what works for me rather than force myself to apply his method. Hopefully I can be more productive working in that way.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; January 4th, 2010 at 04:46 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cam View Post
    I'm going to try to just do what works for me rather than force myself to apply his method.
    We should never forget that "There are no rules, just tools!"

I think they expose methods to show us how they use the tools. Methods are interesting to study but you definitively don't have to stick to them (hey after all there is no rules!). From my point of view the teaching behind all this is:
    1. Find out which tools work best for you (so try them all!!)
    2. Create your OWN method

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DiR3Kt View Post
    We should never forget that "There are no rules, just tools!"

I think they expose methods to show us how they use the tools. Methods are interesting to study but you definitively don't have to stick to them (hey after all there is no rules!). From my point of view the teaching behind all this is:
    1. Find out which tools work best for you (so try them all!!)
    2. Create your OWN method
    I know I know lol, I have been telling myself that for a long time now but I guess I was having a hard time actually believing it. As I said a couple posts up, from what I can tell, most of the very best artists in the industry use Vilppu's method and I wanted more than anything to emulate them. I think I over complicated the process in my mind which killed the flow. Because of the fact that I really only have books and instructional videos to go by (no in-person art teacher), I have been forced to get into the habit of over-thinking things since there was never anyone there to give me the answers. I know that I draw much better (and I certainly have more fun) when I'm drawing the way that is natural for me. Maybe the reason I tried so hard to alter my method is because I felt that if I kept drawing that way without change, my results would not change and I would retain all of my bad habits.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; January 5th, 2010 at 12:25 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Honestly I probably wouldn't post these otherwise but I really haven't produced anything better (haven't been that productive lately I guess). I'm still learning when it comes to painting. The tree is my first tree ever (I don't count that marker one) and there are many mistakes but I really learned a lot from doing it.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; January 10th, 2010 at 12:48 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow I like that girl, the tilt of the torso is rockin!! To stay constructive I would say that the foot is either wrong or not clear enough.

What is the construction is red on the right ? Is it from a book or from yourself ?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast