Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Here is one old digital drawing that I did months ago and forgot to post, a doodle, and yet another study of Sheldon Borenstein's work.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Beautiful studies and such. They look great, i need to do more of those. I would like to see more finished works, post more. Comment me back if u wish, thanks

Comment my crappy art PLEEZ ; )

Thanks
    DaStreets- I really shouldn't even be adding as many details as I have been, I haven't even mastered Gesture and Construction. What is the point of detailing my work if it is still fundamentally flawed?

I am still working on the fundamentals, utilizing these principles is simple in theory but not so easy in practice, haha. I need more experience.

Last edited by Sir Cam; July 15th, 2009 at 04:16 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Hey there, you have some great figure studies happening in here. It's a learning experience just looking at your work and your progress ^^ For a crit, I feel like some of the more rendered drawings are coming up with legs a bit thin in comparison to the bulk of the torso, particularly in the 3 drawings in post #79.

For your comment about detailing before you've mastered gesture, I personally think it's helpful to rotate between construction and detail studies so you learn the figure from all angles. You may find that doing a value study now and again can show you what elements of the figure you'd like to learn more about in your construction studies, etc.

Keep up the good work!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dierat- Thanks very much for the crits I appreciate them. I agree about the legs being too thin, I have a habit of making them too thick so I went out of my way to make them thinner and I guess I went overboard lol. I have learned a bit since the previous post and I do agree that more detailed studies can be beneficial. I am just wary of concerning myself too much with detail before getting the total. The basics are the foundation upon which the rest of the drawing is based, if the foundation is flawed then the whole drawing is going to fall apart. I am too inexperienced to concern myself with much beyond the basics. I am a novice.

These are just a handful of drawings and doodles that I have done since the last post, nothing impressive.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    time to stop by again
    figure studeis are aweseome-i have to focus on that now, too.
    i´m reading and drawing bridgman from time to time (every 3rd day). have you any advice for me?
    how about some landscapes, more colour etc?
    i´d like to see you working with colours.
    and how about an update! I WANT AN UPDATE!
    best regards
    philipp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 903 Posts
    Good drawings. You have tremendous potential!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    HerrleerzeichenS- Its really funny that you should mention that because I actually have been contemplating delving into some other areas of artistic study lately such as drapery and color. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to move away from figure drawing until I feel that I have a strong enough foothold so that I can divert my attention elsewhere without slipping backward in it. I'm still wrestling with the basics, until I have a good handle on those I really cant afford to move on to other matters. Sorry about the infrequent updates. I actually spend most of my free time drawing, its just that I mostly ever do rough exercises. When I actually do figure drawing I'm highly selective about which ones I'm willing to show.

mike butkus- Wow, that is an amazing compliment coming from an artist as skilled as yourself. I really appreciate it. Sometimes I worry that I started studying too late to go pro... It has been about a year and a half at this point, as I started when I was 18. What you say at least makes me a little more hopeful.

I was thinking of trying to do a really detailed finished figure drawing for once, just to see if I could. Maybe look forward to something like that next post? Until then its just more of the same, sorry.

Last edited by Sir Cam; September 1st, 2009 at 04:26 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Now that I look at them, the block figure and the female toned figure kind of remind me of Cambiaso's sketches and Mentler's sketches respectively. The rest are some 30 sec. to 1 min sketches done from life and a real curve ball coming from me, a Ranma doodle done with watercolor. The character designs in Ranma 1/2 are so cute that I couldn't resist. I'm still working on developing a more finished figure drawing... for me, it is easier said than done. I need more time to practice.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    more wonderful updates, your gestures have such a beautiful flow to them. You said on your last post that those life drawings were a curve ball for you, you mean to tell me most of these gestures here were from your brain and not a model? Exceptional work!

Keep up the hard work, and update more often if you can!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AustenFM View Post
    more wonderful updates, your gestures have such a beautiful flow to them. You said on your last post that those life drawings were a curve ball for you, you mean to tell me most of these gestures here were from your brain and not a model? Exceptional work!

Keep up the hard work, and update more often if you can!
    No no, the Ranma doodle was the curve ball for me. But yes, a lot of my drawings are done from imagination. Drawing with reference is much tougher because it requires much more control depending on how accurate I'm trying to be. All of my better work was done with minimal attention payed to the source, if any. It's something that I need to work on.

Thanks for the nice words though.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    More of the same I'm afraid. Although I am starting to study drapery which is something new. The drapery studies are both drawn from various works of Albrecht Durer. The lower torso drawing was a quick anatomy study I did that I thought turned out ok. In the final drawing, I did the entire lay-in in colored pencil as you can see, I then went over it digitally. I am not going to make a habit of that, I just did it this one time for fun.

Believe it or not, I have been learning many new things at rapid fire pace lately and I'm having trouble utilizing it all at once. If I were to try to explain here all of the new stuff I have learned, I'd be typing for hours. Hopefully I'll be posting some drawings in the near future that reflect some of this study.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    This is a really inspiring sketchbook! I know you consider yourself a novice, but there are some really beautiful sketches in here, and you certainly seem to possess the dedication that will get you where you wanna be! i love the confidence in your line

definitely lookin forward to whatever's next, now that you're getting into draping

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2