Sketchbook: Sir_Cam's Art Stuff - Page 6

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Sir_Cam's Art Stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LadyLooLauren- Thanks for the compliment, there are better people to take notes from though, lol.
    Cameronator- Thank you very much, I try.
    krel- If you insist, I'll consider it. It would lessen the overall quality of my thread though.
    lennon- You're far too complimentary sir but thank you none the less. There's no need to be so apologetic about your critiques, I really appreciate them and I agree entirely. I wish more people would be as constructive and helpful as you've been here. I am going to try very hard to keep everything that you've written in mind and I really think I can learn from it. Especially the parts about the shoulders not being relaxed, the figures poses looking too uncomfortable, and the head proportions (I actually have a lot of problems with proportion which I'm sure is a major part of why my figures never look very realistic). Again, I really appreciate the in depth critiques and I think that I can really learn a lot from them, thank you. Also, about being more specific in regard to the critique I left in your sketchbook, I will drop by asap to clarify what I meant. All I meant was that it could help to define the anatomical structure, as in, the way that the muscle masses fit together a little more. Your work probably has better structure than my own, I was just saying that your in your recent (mostly painted) figures, it looked to me like the anatomical definition was relatively lacking compared to you're older sketches. By the way, I'm very flattered that you say my work resembles Vilppu's even in the least.
    Janos- Thank you sir, I don't know if I'd go that far though. I still need a lot of work.

The first couple drawings are ones that I hadn't intended to post since I felt that they didn't meet the standard that I try to set for myself. I'm only posting them because I had nothing better to post and because Krel insists. I was just being lazy and careless while drawing them. The eye was a doodle I did at school and the last one is a drawing based on Vilppu's work.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Sir Cam; January 31st, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sir!

You should post more! Those drawing are nice, at least for me. Especially the top left one, it has a lot of details showing how skilled you are in understanding the different forms that construct our body.

One thing: On the figure in red, the lower part of the back (tilt between ribcage and pevlis + butt) looks flat.

] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great gallery
    I especially liked the last figure drawing were volumes are really well rendered
    keep it up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Twan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DiR3Kt- You're absolutely right about that, I still have a lot of difficulty in rendering the buttocks (no jokes, lol). I still don't perfectly understand the structure, that just tells me I need more study.
    Parsakoira- Thanks heh.
    Twan- I appreciate it, I was particularly proud of that drawing even though it is far from perfect. I think I should have emphasized the forms more.

Well, I've been thinking about what Krel wrote and I think I might start posting more and more of my actual sketches. Please note that most of these are done in less than a minute or two and only for the sake of learning. I do tons and tons and tons of these sorts of sketches but I normally just throw them away after I've completed them since they're generally too ugly to show anyone. This sort of drawing is how I do my learning. These were all done yesterday and today.

Last edited by Sir Cam; February 2nd, 2010 at 09:02 PM.

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sir Cam: If you worry about the "quality" of your thread I think your doing it wrong, mate.

You have come quite a long way in your drawing, and your miles ahead of me, but as I see it you are still here to LEARN, not for showing off.

No one expects every update to be filled with awesomeness. You have ups and downs like everyone else, and I think its even more intresting as a follower of your SB to see the bad sketches along with the good ones.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    Sir Cam: If you worry about the "quality" of your thread I think your doing it wrong, mate.

You have come quite a long way in your drawing, and your miles ahead of me, but as I see it you are still here to LEARN, not for showing off.

No one expects every update to be filled with awesomeness. You have ups and downs like everyone else, and I think its even more intresting as a follower of your SB to see the bad sketches along with the good ones.
    I agree. I certainly was not doing it to show off either though, lol. There are much better artists here at concept art, even my very best work doesn't compete with theirs. I just try to set my standard for quality as high as I can possibly achieve with my current skills, you know? All artists are perfectionists aren't they? Still, like I wrote in the previous post, I'm going to be posting more of my exercises which are how I actually do most of my improving. Everything in my previous post was an exercise and I do loads of that sort of drawing.

Last edited by Sir Cam; February 5th, 2010 at 01:38 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your "too ugly to show" drawings are still looking nice, for me.

As I'm trying to study the same things as you (at a really lower level but still..) these drawings are great ressource for me. I'm learning alot by looking at how you practice. Thank you

] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rad sketchbook man, the eyes look awesome. subscribed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DiR3Kt- In a nutshell, the way that I practice is to only spend as much time on a study as is needed to learn what there is to learn and no more, simple as that. Hence why my quick studies aren't so pretty, I'm really not trying to make them so. I've seen people make every single study that they do incredibly beautiful and detailed but that doesn't make them learn any more than they would by doing it quickly. Sure, it will look nicer, but it will also have consumed more time and energy that could have been spent doing another study, you know?

CocaTertoka- Thanks for the comment

Here's some of the stuff I did today. More quick studies. I've been reading a lot about color so maybe expect some more painted stuff later.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The red ink(?) sketch to the right looks awesome. Almost like a mech.

I think you said it very well here:
    "In a nutshell, the way that I practice is to only spend as much time on a study as is needed to learn what there is to learn and no more, simple as that. Hence why my quick studies aren't so pretty, I'm really not trying to make them so. I've seen people make every single study that they do incredibly beautiful and detailed but that doesn't make them learn any more than they would by doing it quickly. Sure, it will look nicer, but it will also have consumed more time and energy that could have been spent doing another study, you know? "

And for the same reason I think people with some knowledge about this process wont see your "less finished" studies as something bad, or something of "less quality". Theyre just studies right. Quick studies

And I also think that even your quicker studies look great. Keep rockin man!

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

17. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, sir, it's a pleasure to be here. your drawings are great, and i'm always excited to see someone who's dedicated to studying anatomy. my only critique for you would be one of the same as lennon, that some of your figures from imagination have some crazily uncomfortable and almost impossible poses. one thing that helped me immensely was trying the poses that i drew...that really helped me see that, ok, when i do this, this is going to happen. for example, the red figure from post 141, there's practically nooooOOOO way that that pose can exist. when you rotate your arms back like that, your torso will tend to bend forward, and the neck bent like that will do the same. try arching your back like that and then raising your arms behind you and putting your chin down forward. you have great anatomical work, the next thing is to just ground your imagination figures in reality. then you'll be unstoppable. hope this helps; take care dude! i will return!!!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

19. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krel- Thanks for the comment
    purb36- Yeah, you're probably right. I actually think that my figures are too stiff most of the time, that's why I go out of my way to push the pose to ridiculous lengths. Instead, what I think I should to do is just make the pose more rhythmic rather than exaggerate the action. I'll work on it, thanks for the comment.

More studies I guess. The tone lady was based on one of Sheldon Borenstein's drawings and the toned man (done with carbon pencil) was based on one of Hampton's drawings. I feel I could have made the Hampton study a lot better if I had payed more attention, oh well. At least I learned a bit while drawing it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!! you have some fantastic studies! I'm hoping to get to your level some day!

Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keevy39- Thanks but seriously, don't shoot for my level. I'm nothing compared to the masters, nothing.

Mainly just posting a bunch of scribbles. The last one was based on Rubens' work, I wasn't trying to get a likeness really, only to follow his logic regarding his use of color since I'm still pretty confused about how to actually decide what colors to use when working from imagination. I did it digitally because it's just less hassle, especially considering that I'm still learning.

Last edited by Sir Cam; February 13th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More doodles, a few based on Hampton's book.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good man, Im really liking how you put down those landmarks on the torso.

Btw, what are those red and blue studies done with? Pastels?

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    Looking good man, Im really liking how you put down those landmarks on the torso.

Btw, what are those red and blue studies done with? Pastels?
    Nah, they're just standard prismacolor colored pencils. The only reason I use them sometimes is that they have a nice smooth feel to them. To me, graphite can be too slippery and both carbon and charcoal have a scratchy feel which I'm not fond of.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whine time.

I've decided that I've had it with drawing from photos, I'm not even going to try anymore, I give up. It has caused me so much frustration for so long that it's just not worth the terrible stress it causes me anymore. The only reason I kept trying for as long as I did was that I thought that if I stayed diligent, I'd eventually get it. Two years of frustration and I'm still no better than I was when I started. Please refrain from giving me that "the only way to fail is to give up" crap, that's what I've been telling myself all this time and it has made no difference.

This does not mean that I'm not going to draw anymore. It just means that from now on, I'll be drawing exclusively from imagination, master work, or a live model (supposing I ever get into another life drawing class). The only way that I'd draw from a photo again is if my teacher ordered me to. I'm sure no one cares, I just needed to vent.

I doodled this from imagination a few days ago, it's quite sloppy. I would have more work to post if I hadn't spent so much time trying to draw from photos lately (which resulted in dozens and dozens of pages full of failed drawings getting thrown out).

Last edited by Sir Cam; February 23rd, 2010 at 06:11 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hang in there man. I wish I had something insightful to say. Maybe if you wait 10 years id have reached your level by then.

Ive always thought your studies looks superb, but if you not happy with it yourself, then your not, and should try to do something about it.
    Im positive youll work it out in some way

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

28. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your are really studing the humas form intensely! good job keep it up!

My sketchbook:
    Fumble

My brothers sketchbook:
    Braintree

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Emil_J. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man - I see you helpin out Krel quite often so thought I'd stop in. Nice stuff - I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit - seems to me you're at about the level where your next step might be to consider some figure workshops with the big boys/girls, like Orbik or any number of other "Masters".

I hate working from photos too so I can relate - what about some of the Live Model dvds or Virtual Pose type things? Not quite like the real thing but closer - I usually project them up so at least it feels as close to life as possible. Also are you working pretty large? You know - 18x24 at an easel? I have a hard time with figure if I'm not working that way (hell, I have a hard enough time with figure no matter what!).

Another idea is to maybe join up with sketchcrawl: http://www.sketchcrawl.com/ You'd meet a bunch of people with similar interests and maybe even form a weekly sketch group. Barbara Bradley's book "Drawing People" is a great resource for sketching in public.

Anyway, great stuff - and I have to respectfully disagree with purb86(?) comments on poses lacking reality - that one feels a bit forced but big deal - I think your gesture is your strongest suit and there's nothing wrong with pushing it - depending on what you want to say of course. Personally I love your exageration/stylization.

Keep on rockin!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

32. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krel- Don't worry about it man, most the stuff in my thread wasn't from a photo anyways so it's unlikely that there will be much change. Thanks for trying to cheer me up, I get way too worked up over my failures. I try to keep those thoughts in as much as possible but sometimes when the frustration keeps on coming my way, I just need to vent.

Fumble- Thanks, I still need a lot of work though.

JeffX99- I appreciate the comment, I'm flattered that anyone would think that I was good enough to study with "the big boys." In all honesty, I don't know how skillful I am. I know that I know a lot about drawing, but drawing is a skill which means it requires experience of which I have very little, I'm not sure if knowledge alone can make me a good artist. In regard to your question about the size of my work, I generally work very small, 4-8 inches for a figure is the norm for me. I tend to lose sight of the total when I draw larger than that which really kills my drawings. I have tried to practice drawing larger (because I know that it can only be a liability to only be able to draw small) but I have had next to no success in that. I'm still working on it. That website does look interesting, I'll think about it.

I have been very very busy with school work so I've had next to no time to draw, this is all I've got for now. The one done in marker is loosely based on a pose from Hampton's book. I really liked the feel of that black marker, it was very freeing. Some thoughts that I've had is that I might start trying to make my work more realistic from now on which just means I'll have to pay closer attention to the way the forms are oriented in space and the proportions. I've never been concerned with realism before, only design (rhythm and structure mainly) so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited by Sir Cam; March 1st, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like I wrote before, I've been so busy with school work that I haven't had much time to draw. I know I said I'd work on proportions last post but it looks like I forgot to, oh well. I'll get around to doing it eventually. You may notice freakishly long ears on the gestures at the bottom, that is because that was intended to be a fanart of two elf characters from the manga Berserk (which I love). The problem is that I don't know how to paint so I don't know if I'll ever get around to finishing it. The reason it has the ugly yellowish tint is because, since it is a part of my layin, it was too light to see so I darkened it digitally. It's not like I'm not trying to learn to paint either but I seem unusually inept at it. Maybe I lack the patience for it or maybe I simply suck at painting, I don't know, lol.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to see some of your attempts at painting!
    Maybe changing your focus from pure figure studies to something else, if only just for a while, will help you improve also.

Dont let school steal too much of your time, dude.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    kostas, danny

36. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    krel- Painting pretty much is my diversion from figure studies at this point. I wanted to hold off from posting until I had a halfway presentable painting to show but I just couldn't produce one and I cant bear to post something that I know has absolutely no redeeming qualities. I'll keep practicing but I cant make any promises about when I might be able to show one. Think about it this way, if my success rate with drawing is 50% then with painting it's more like 10% (or less).

These are just some sketches I did the other day. I would have more to post but just as before, I have been very busy with school work and haven't had much opportunity to draw. Even though it's my spring break, I have a bunch of homework that is due soon that I need to be working on. I am looking forward to the having some more free time for drawing because I want to really get serious about my art studies ASAP.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're being waaaay too modest dude...your "success rate" with drawings is waaaay higher than 50%. anyway, concerning proportion...and, granted, i don't know what's the best way for you to study, only you know that. but i think as you keep drawing fig's more, especially from your imagination, your eye for your proportions will keep getting finer and finer. basically saying, keep doing what you do man, cause you're making it work. btw, i REEEEEALLY like the sketch in the bottom left of the first page in post 174; the force is very strong with this one.

ps. Jeff, 36, man, 36! don't be giving me an extra 50...i'm not THAT old yet.

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

39. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stop being so hard on yourself Sir Cam! From someone who is currently studying Sheldon, Vilppu and Hampton looking at your thread shows me what I might be able to do if I keep studying (for the next 100 years)

Your really mastering construction and gesture.

This is where I come for inspiration

Last edited by Whirly; March 17th, 2010 at 03:30 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    purb36- Thanks dude, will do.

Whirly- Thanks, I'm flattered that you write that.

Really though guys, you're being too complimentary. Compared to the masters, I am only just taking my first baby steps in the study of art. I do appreciate the praise though.

I have had a bit of a break through with my drawing. Believe it or not, I have finally discovered and nestled into a lay-in procedure that I am 100% comfortable with (yeah, I never really had that until now after two years of study). It has made figure drawing so much easier for me, it is really astonishing how much stress has been lifted from me. I don't know if results will be immediately apparent to you all but I can feel myself improving at a rate that I haven't in a long time. It has been a real confidence booster. Because of school, I wont be able to play with this as much as I'd like but I do look forward to real progress soon. These are just what I've done today and some leftovers that I didn't post last time. The dragon one was based on an etching by Hendrik Goltzius and done in black marker. I was really only practicing controlling my values and composition with that one, I wasn't trying to get a likeness. It was kind of fun to do something different.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow wow wow wow wow wow wow Your knowledge of structure gesture and anatomy gives me the shivers. And at the same time I'm glad cuz I know I could do the same.
    This thread does something that only few threads in the whole internet can. This thread cheers me up. =)

44. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3