Sketchbook: Sir_Cam's Art Stuff - Page 11

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat stuff man, good body of content.
    Keep up the pace!

Also, please tell what images are ref'd and which aren't. It'd be good to know how good you're doing.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work in here, i enjoy many of your gesture/figure drawings alot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5 stars! Merry christmas! *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why and maybe this just me but I find drawing digitally infinitely easier than otherwise. When drawing traditionally, I literally feel like I'm crippled by the medium I'm using but when I work digitally, I don't even have to think about it, It just flows effortlessly. I didn't even put any effort into these drawings here but they're better than what I ever do traditionally. I am seriously on the verge of just drawing digitally and never picking up a pencil again. The amount of frustration I experienced this past year seriously made me contemplate giving up drawing, it was that maddening. I figured that resorting to the crutch of digital drawing for the sake of restoring my confidence is better than just giving up on drawing all together. You have no idea how frustrating it was for me to not be able to draw simply because of the limitations of my medium for so long. It just isn't worth the misery. Maybe eventually I'll take what I learn from digital drawing and apply it to my traditional artwork sometime in the future.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Mr Cam Sir Long time no speak, since I failed miserably and quit for like a year but I am back! ) Wondered how the awesome self-deprecating artist was doing. Still being way too hard on yourself I see

I don't know why and maybe this just me but I find drawing digitally infinitely easier than otherwise. When drawing traditionally, I literally feel like I'm crippled by the medium I'm using but when I work digitally, I don't even have to think about it, It just flows effortlessly. I didn't even put any effort into these drawings here but they're better than what I ever do traditionally. I am seriously on the verge of just drawing digitally and never picking up a pencil again.
    Funny you should say that as over Christmas I was lucky enough to find an ExDemo cintiq 21ux for a ridiculously low price and couldn't pass up the opportunity! Drawing digitally has really helped my confidence and drawing with my arm, drawing big, stood up! with the big screen has really really helped me as well as drawing a gesture and being able to delete it instantly has really helped me draw more.

That being said I wont give up the pencil entirely as I like pencils!

You mentioned earlier on about have a go with some digital rendering and I think you should as in painting completely with tone trying to get form to turn correctly really helps you see things in a new way.

Well keep up the good work as usual all the figures look superb to me!

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Whirly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello SirCam,

I like what I see here. (And, in spite of what you said in your last post, I prefer your traditional drawings to your digital one). I think your drawings are solid, in the sense that you have a solid grasp of form. They feel three-dimensional, they display weight and structure. This is all very good. What may be lacking (perhaps this is why you feel unhappy with them) is a stronger sense of design. Design is a very elusive concept, and "good design" is an even harder thing to define, but what I see in many of your drawings is lack of variety in the way the shapes relate to one another. Note that as soon as I started talking about design I mentioned shape -- i.e. 2D. Note that every form has a shape (after all drawing takes place on a 2D surface). You're taking good care of the 3D aspect of your forms, but perhaps not so much about its 2D aspect. Take, for instance, the third drawing from the top on post #288. Try to imagine the silhouette of its pelvis-torso. You will notice it is nearly a upright rectangle. Now look at some of your more dynamic poses, the ones with great twist, and again try to visualize the silhouette the pelvis-torso form. If you imagine the flat shape, you will see it is a shape with much more variety: straights against curves, no parallel lines. This gives visual interest to the drawing. Another example of a drawing that could use more variety in design is the last one from post #300. Of course the pose itself is a symmetrical one, and that leads necessarily to a less dynamic (though more stable) design. But even then you can try to insert a few elements of variety without breaking the overall symmetry. I notice that in many of your drawings there are very few straight lines. Conversely, there is an excess of rounded forms, curves. Quite often you are able to place them against each other in such a way that you avoid the snowman effect, which is good. The snowman effect is deadly to design:

.......Ô.........
    >==( )==<
    ..... ( )......
    ......( )......

But you can improve it greatly if you begin to play a few straight lines against the many curves. Good places to do that are bone structures, the tensed side of the body (as opposed to the pinched side) etc. Take a look at Vilppu's drawings and look for this interplay of straights against curves, and you will see what I mean.

p.s.: I just saw your very last post, with some digital drawings. You seemed to be happier about them. And, guess what? The most striking difference they display when you compare them with your earlier drawings is precisely greater variety in design! Unlike in many of your traditional drawings, in these last ones you were making use of a very interesting interplay of straight against curves. If you try to visualize their silhouette, you will see the myriad of different shapes they make. In my view it has very little to do with the handling of the medium (digital vs traditional), and everything to do with the way you handled design in those.

Last edited by bkkm; March 24th, 2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: added a p.s.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bkkm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been a long while since I've posted here although I never stopped drawing. I grew increasingly dissatisfied with my work and just decided that I no longer felt like sharing it with anyone. I still haven't made much progress but I think giving myself this small breather has allowed me to lighten up a little in regards to my frustration. I'm still not happy with my skill level but all I can say is that I'm working on it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow those figures in forced perspective are so awesome! great stuff in here over all, keep up the hard work cant wait for you to post more concepts and ideas! dont be dissatisfied remember, the good artist are the crappy artists that never gave up! and its a good thing to work on it maybe do a learning map dude, of where you want to get to and how to get there here this video might give you a few ideas http://www.ctrlpaint.com/learning-map/

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog
    My website
    #Bestyear

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

UPDATED 2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, i have to say that you have a great sense of form and you stuff looks flowy and natural, you studies at villpu`s stuff have come to fruitition, dont worry about having a fancy sketchbook this is about strugle and working in your weakpoints, i dont have much advice cause you see im much more noobie than you are, about your digital stuff in what program are you drawing on, paint???? those digital sketches dont have pressure sensitivity in the strokes or lines , and thats hindering a ton the expression, flow, quality an aesthetics of your digital drawings.

you need to enabled it in the program settings, or in your tablet settings into the control panel, also verify if your tablet does have pressure sensibility or if the program supports it or if it is compatible with your tablet.

or could it be that you draw with your mouse??

then get a wacom bamboo

believe me it will make a gigantic diference.

if you have any question about this send me a pm ill be glad to help you out with this tecnical issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! I think I might be able to offer advice when it comes to frustration with your own work. It's easier said than done but simply just draw, don't think that you have to draw like X person. You have the tools, just go outside and enjoy drawing from life with your own interpretation and try to stray away from all those books for a bit. Simply draw what you see. Even though I may not have had as much experience as you but I have to say from what I've seen the dissatisfaction of any artists current skill level NEVER goes. Which is why you should not find satisfaction from trying to achieve a current skill level and simply just enjoy the very act of drawing(you know, pencil to paper), enjoy what you draw and the progress will come. It's the journey not the destination, so enjoy yourself drawing and as a matter of fact I enjoy looking at any of your drawings(no matter how terrible) not because it is some amazing A grade stuff(I could look at production art if I wanted to see something like that.) but instead it's because I am seeing the journey of a fellow artist climbing up the same mountain as I am because first of all it shows that I am not alone and that we can all build landmarks to find our way up to the top one artist after another. TL;DR Enjoy what you enjoy doing!

CHECK OUT MY FRIEND'S SB OVAH HERE >> deer's sketchbook

>>DeviantArt|SketchBook<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doodles.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much of anything to show since my scanner broke a while back but figured I may as well post something. Note that none of the drawings in this post are even remotely finished. I guess they could be called WIP's.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I've hit a plateau with my skills or lack thereof. I've studied Vilppu and various other personal idols of mine to death but I still just cant do what they do no matter how hard I try. For a long, long time, I tried forcibly emulating them through intense struggle but I am now starting to think that I just can't do it with my level of experience. That is the key word, "experience." I think that I just need more experience. I guess I was, and perhaps still am, impatient. I see all these other artists who are so much better than me and it frustrates me to no end that, despite my obsessive effort, I still cant do what they do. It is beginning to challenge my philosophy that there is no such thing as natural talent. I am trying to be more accepting of my less than satisfactory skill level and just accept that I am not the best. I don't know if that is humility or just giving up.

Last edited by Sir Cam; October 16th, 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its awesome to see you back here Cam! sorry about your scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cam View Post
    ... and just accept that I am not the best.

I think you mean "and just accept that I am not the best YET"

Anyway you are already really good!

On to your actual drawings. The girls knees look really really low. The head lay-ins on the the last image are looking a little big and the tree design is awesome.

Keep drawing man!

Last edited by Whirly; October 17th, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Cam View Post
    I don't know why and maybe this just me but I find drawing digitally infinitely easier than otherwise. When drawing traditionally, I literally feel like I'm crippled by the medium I'm using but when I work digitally, I don't even have to think about it, It just flows effortlessly. I didn't even put any effort into these drawings here but they're better than what I ever do traditionally. I am seriously on the verge of just drawing digitally and never picking up a pencil again. The amount of frustration I experienced this past year seriously made me contemplate giving up drawing, it was that maddening. I figured that resorting to the crutch of digital drawing for the sake of restoring my confidence is better than just giving up on drawing all together. You have no idea how frustrating it was for me to not be able to draw simply because of the limitations of my medium for so long. It just isn't worth the misery. Maybe eventually I'll take what I learn from digital drawing and apply it to my traditional artwork sometime in the future.
    Sometimes when you get stuck you just have to switch it up. Digital drawing probably isn't any easier at all - you just don't have a rut. I find myself drawing into a rut sometimes- maybe I've been trying to draw characters too much- and I just keep pushing out the same things. Sometimes you have to switch gears, rev up the ol creativity part of the brain. Draw the opposite of what you usually do. I looked back through your SB, and aside from your most recent post it's 95% people, with some trees thrown in. All organic stuff. Your getting some pretty awesome stuff, the gestures in 304 kick ass - make me think of some older MTV shows.
    Now you gotta kick your own ass, and switch it up. Try drawing some heavy equipment - something really mechanical and structure heavy.
    The best way to get out of a rut is to attack the whole thing from a different angle.
    I never would have guessed how much drawing cars helped me with my figure drawing. But now I can draw a car- so I had to go somewhere else- I started drawing environments and object drawing. Never let yourself get comfortable, that's when frustration sets in

It's not about being the best- it's about beating yourself. You are your competition, and if you can draw better than you did yesterday - or you can conquer a challenge you couldn't 3 months ago - you're winning! Just go out and punch drawing in the face!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Members who have read this thread: 4