Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    LadyLooLauren- Thanks for the compliment, there are better people to take notes from though, lol.
    Cameronator- Thank you very much, I try.
    krel- If you insist, I'll consider it. It would lessen the overall quality of my thread though.
    lennon- You're far too complimentary sir but thank you none the less. There's no need to be so apologetic about your critiques, I really appreciate them and I agree entirely. I wish more people would be as constructive and helpful as you've been here. I am going to try very hard to keep everything that you've written in mind and I really think I can learn from it. Especially the parts about the shoulders not being relaxed, the figures poses looking too uncomfortable, and the head proportions (I actually have a lot of problems with proportion which I'm sure is a major part of why my figures never look very realistic). Again, I really appreciate the in depth critiques and I think that I can really learn a lot from them, thank you. Also, about being more specific in regard to the critique I left in your sketchbook, I will drop by asap to clarify what I meant. All I meant was that it could help to define the anatomical structure, as in, the way that the muscle masses fit together a little more. Your work probably has better structure than my own, I was just saying that your in your recent (mostly painted) figures, it looked to me like the anatomical definition was relatively lacking compared to you're older sketches. By the way, I'm very flattered that you say my work resembles Vilppu's even in the least.
    Janos- Thank you sir, I don't know if I'd go that far though. I still need a lot of work.

The first couple drawings are ones that I hadn't intended to post since I felt that they didn't meet the standard that I try to set for myself. I'm only posting them because I had nothing better to post and because Krel insists. I was just being lazy and careless while drawing them. The eye was a doodle I did at school and the last one is a drawing based on Vilppu's work.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; January 31st, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
    "Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours." -Richard Bach

Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi Sir!

You should post more! Those drawing are nice, at least for me. Especially the top left one, it has a lot of details showing how skilled you are in understanding the different forms that construct our body.

One thing: On the figure in red, the lower part of the back (tilt between ribcage and pevlis + butt) looks flat.
    ] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts

Thanks
    great gallery
    I especially liked the last figure drawing were volumes are really well rendered
    keep it up

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Twan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    DiR3Kt- You're absolutely right about that, I still have a lot of difficulty in rendering the buttocks (no jokes, lol). I still don't perfectly understand the structure, that just tells me I need more study.
    Parsakoira- Thanks heh.
    Twan- I appreciate it, I was particularly proud of that drawing even though it is far from perfect. I think I should have emphasized the forms more.

Well, I've been thinking about what Krel wrote and I think I might start posting more and more of my actual sketches. Please note that most of these are done in less than a minute or two and only for the sake of learning. I do tons and tons and tons of these sorts of sketches but I normally just throw them away after I've completed them since they're generally too ugly to show anyone. This sort of drawing is how I do my learning. These were all done yesterday and today.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; February 2nd, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Cam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sir Cam: If you worry about the "quality" of your thread I think your doing it wrong, mate.

You have come quite a long way in your drawing, and your miles ahead of me, but as I see it you are still here to LEARN, not for showing off.

No one expects every update to be filled with awesomeness. You have ups and downs like everyone else, and I think its even more intresting as a follower of your SB to see the bad sketches along with the good ones.
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    Sir Cam: If you worry about the "quality" of your thread I think your doing it wrong, mate.

You have come quite a long way in your drawing, and your miles ahead of me, but as I see it you are still here to LEARN, not for showing off.

No one expects every update to be filled with awesomeness. You have ups and downs like everyone else, and I think its even more intresting as a follower of your SB to see the bad sketches along with the good ones.
    I agree. I certainly was not doing it to show off either though, lol. There are much better artists here at concept art, even my very best work doesn't compete with theirs. I just try to set my standard for quality as high as I can possibly achieve with my current skills, you know? All artists are perfectionists aren't they? Still, like I wrote in the previous post, I'm going to be posting more of my exercises which are how I actually do most of my improving. Everything in my previous post was an exercise and I do loads of that sort of drawing.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; February 5th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Your "too ugly to show" drawings are still looking nice, for me.

As I'm trying to study the same things as you (at a really lower level but still..) these drawings are great ressource for me. I'm learning alot by looking at how you practice. Thank you
    ] Teh Latecomers Sketch Group

~ Me, Myself and I ~ Krel ~ UrbanHermit

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DiR3Kt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    rad sketchbook man, the eyes look awesome. subscribed!

Thanks
    DiR3Kt- In a nutshell, the way that I practice is to only spend as much time on a study as is needed to learn what there is to learn and no more, simple as that. Hence why my quick studies aren't so pretty, I'm really not trying to make them so. I've seen people make every single study that they do incredibly beautiful and detailed but that doesn't make them learn any more than they would by doing it quickly. Sure, it will look nicer, but it will also have consumed more time and energy that could have been spent doing another study, you know?

CocaTertoka- Thanks for the comment

Here's some of the stuff I did today. More quick studies. I've been reading a lot about color so maybe expect some more painted stuff later.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    The red ink(?) sketch to the right looks awesome. Almost like a mech.

I think you said it very well here:
    "In a nutshell, the way that I practice is to only spend as much time on a study as is needed to learn what there is to learn and no more, simple as that. Hence why my quick studies aren't so pretty, I'm really not trying to make them so. I've seen people make every single study that they do incredibly beautiful and detailed but that doesn't make them learn any more than they would by doing it quickly. Sure, it will look nicer, but it will also have consumed more time and energy that could have been spent doing another study, you know? "

And for the same reason I think people with some knowledge about this process wont see your "less finished" studies as something bad, or something of "less quality". Theyre just studies right. Quick studies

And I also think that even your quicker studies look great. Keep rockin man!
    The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

17. The Following User Says Thank You to krel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    well, sir, it's a pleasure to be here. your drawings are great, and i'm always excited to see someone who's dedicated to studying anatomy. my only critique for you would be one of the same as lennon, that some of your figures from imagination have some crazily uncomfortable and almost impossible poses. one thing that helped me immensely was trying the poses that i drew...that really helped me see that, ok, when i do this, this is going to happen. for example, the red figure from post 141, there's practically nooooOOOO way that that pose can exist. when you rotate your arms back like that, your torso will tend to bend forward, and the neck bent like that will do the same. try arching your back like that and then raising your arms behind you and putting your chin down forward. you have great anatomical work, the next thing is to just ground your imagination figures in reality. then you'll be unstoppable. hope this helps; take care dude! i will return!!!
    -A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

19. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    krel- Thanks for the comment
    purb36- Yeah, you're probably right. I actually think that my figures are too stiff most of the time, that's why I go out of my way to push the pose to ridiculous lengths. Instead, what I think I should to do is just make the pose more rhythmic rather than exaggerate the action. I'll work on it, thanks for the comment.

More studies I guess. The tone lady was based on one of Sheldon Borenstein's drawings and the toned man (done with carbon pencil) was based on one of Hampton's drawings. I feel I could have made the Hampton study a lot better if I had payed more attention, oh well. At least I learned a bit while drawing it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Wow!! you have some fantastic studies! I'm hoping to get to your level some day!

Keep it up!!

Thanks
    keevy39- Thanks but seriously, don't shoot for my level. I'm nothing compared to the masters, nothing.

Mainly just posting a bunch of scribbles. The last one was based on Rubens' work, I wasn't trying to get a likeness really, only to follow his logic regarding his use of color since I'm still pretty confused about how to actually decide what colors to use when working from imagination. I did it digitally because it's just less hassle, especially considering that I'm still learning.
    Last edited by Sir Cam; February 13th, 2010 at 08:59 PM.

Sketchbook

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast