Thread: brush question

Thanks

brush question

sometimes brushes behave like in multiply-mode (is that gel btw?) and sometimes they are in normal mode just covering with the existing color. what do i do wrong?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    It'd probably help if you can tell us your Painter version and the brush variants you're talking about.

In the meantime, some brush variants, when used on a new Layer, automatically set the Layer's Composite Method to Gel the moment the brush hits the Layer. The Felt Pens variants are an example. Their Method is Buildup which you can check in the Brush Creator's General section.

Gel and Multiply are two different Composite Methods in Painter.

The Photoshop Blending Mode equivalent for Painter's Gel Composite Method is Darken, or so it would seem, since when a Painter image with a Gel Layer is saved in PSD format, then opened in Photoshop, the Gel Layers have changed to Darken.

If you want to understand Painter's Composite Methods, there's a section in the Painter User Guides that explains each of them.

If you want to make sure your brush variants are working the way they're supposed to work, in the Brush Selector menu, choose Restore All Default Variants. This will return all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default state.

To return a single brush variant to its default state, choose the brush variant, then in the Brush Selector menu, choose Restore Default Variant.

Hope this helps a little.
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    thanks jin. i'm using painter 8 and encountered the problem, when painting with the digital watercolor brushes. i saved the file as a tif. the next day i reopened it and wanted to continue, but while i could use the brushes in 'normal' mode the day before, now the strokes went darker and darker the more of them i put over each other.

it's probably a noob's fault, but i still dont get it.

thanks for taking your time
    Last edited by retro; November 13th, 2003 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    retro,

Nope, it's not your fault.

When an image containing Digital Water Colors is saved, then reopened, the Digital Water Color paint is dried.

Others have been squawking about this so if you find it unacceptable, write to Corel Painter Program Manager Rick Champagne at:

rick.champagne@corel.com

Tell him why this is important to your work flow (not that it isn't obvious already).

Good luck,
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory