Finally Joined and Decided to Get on with Critiques~

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm new to ConceptArt, I've always been intimidated by the art that most of the users post because everyone is so damn good but enough with my ridiculous pity-party.
    I would absolutely love it for anyone to critique everything on the pictures I post, I'm thick-skinned and I really appreciate harsh, but helpful, critiques. To get a feel in general for the style I'm going for, I plan on doing concept art for movies, video games, etc. and I'm going for a realism but sort of cartoon feel? Much like the Concept Art you'll find of Finally Fantasy XII, and so on. Well here I go;
    Also, I'm sixteen and I definitely have the time, energy and ability to do whatever it will take to improve. Drawing is one of my only passions and I pour almost all of myself into art

reference for the last one;

I'm not sure the last one counts because it looks like a tracing of the original but I decided to post it anyway because I'm stupid.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by x0nicorn; September 28th, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most of em have a traced feel. *slaps* Don't do dat!

Draw the things you see around you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post
    Most of em have a traced feel. *slaps* Don't do dat!

Draw the things you see around you.
    saoghwawe i do try that i go on posemaniacs a lot and i promise none of them are traced
    only the last one was referenced; i have never traced something since i was what, five? haha but i do get what you're saying

as for what program I use, photoshop and I are not on good terms; I use Oekaki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps it's not so much as MiniGoth was saying they were traced, but that they 'feel' traced. Perhaps it's more that your art doesn't feel like it's yours, but rather something you like to be drawing. Of course I can't be sure about it, but when you draw someone around you, or draw something from posemaniacs, it feels as if you're going to turn that picture into one of a character you recognise. As such, your art isn't traced but feels that way because it's turned more into a fanart of sorts rather than your own.

By drawing people around you, and I agree with him on that, you develop the basics of a body, of anatomy, of mood and movements, lots of things and you'll develop your own style. If you want to be character designer (or I suppose any designer for that matter..) then sure it's nice to look at how other designers did things, but do things your own way. Make your own designs, create your own stories behind your characters and show those to us. I for one would to see that. Look at the others for the decisions they made in making you 'feel' a certain character. Analyse why er.. Kadaj (?) is appealing to you, and learn from that. Learn the whole idea behind the character, and not just his looks. His looks have a reason, and making those reasons for your own things can really make or (when lack thereof) break a drawing later on.

And I think it'd be a good idea to just head out and draw, instead of sitting behind the computer to draw. Photoshop is a great tool, and you can do great things with it and is worth learning and figuring out, but just not yet. You first need your basics down. The anatomy of a human figure, how muscles and skin fold around, how cloth works, how expression and movement work, all those sort of things. There's so much more to a character than just a face or clothing, it's his or her whole stance or emotion that makes them appealing and you need to get those basics down in order to convey those things properly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tangrim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangrim View Post
    Perhaps it's not so much as MiniGoth was saying they were traced, but that they 'feel' traced. Perhaps it's more that your art doesn't feel like it's yours, but rather something you like to be drawing. Of course I can't be sure about it, but when you draw someone around you, or draw something from posemaniacs, it feels as if you're going to turn that picture into one of a character you recognise. As such, your art isn't traced but feels that way because it's turned more into a fanart of sorts rather than your own.

By drawing people around you, and I agree with him on that, you develop the basics of a body, of anatomy, of mood and movements, lots of things and you'll develop your own style. If you want to be character designer (or I suppose any designer for that matter..) then sure it's nice to look at how other designers did things, but do things your own way. Make your own designs, create your own stories behind your characters and show those to us. I for one would to see that. Look at the others for the decisions they made in making you 'feel' a certain character. Analyse why er.. Kadaj (?) is appealing to you, and learn from that. Learn the whole idea behind the character, and not just his looks. His looks have a reason, and making those reasons for your own things can really make or (when lack thereof) break a drawing later on.

And I think it'd be a good idea to just head out and draw, instead of sitting behind the computer to draw. Photoshop is a great tool, and you can do great things with it and is worth learning and figuring out, but just not yet. You first need your basics down. The anatomy of a human figure, how muscles and skin fold around, how cloth works, how expression and movement work, all those sort of things. There's so much more to a character than just a face or clothing, it's his or her whole stance or emotion that makes them appealing and you need to get those basics down in order to convey those things properly.
    I used to study out of a figure drawing book for women and it seemed to help; I have no idea why I stopped.

So simply just draw the people i see, try to capture their essence in the facial structure/expression and poses?

What's truly appealing to me is just the picture in general. The only reason 99% of my drawings are fanart is because my brain is in constant limbo between being able to create something original, and not being able to.

I will definitely try to stay away from drawing with my tablet and get to work on learning basic structure and what-not before returning to digital art; thank you so much for the help! It was really helpful and I REALLY appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its both trying to capture their essence and just basic technical excersises

And drawing things on your own, trying out new things, not being scared that you're not original, that will help you make your art yours. This one is a hard one to explain how to do, and for everyone it's different. But that's what makes any artist different in their own way, and everyone has to do it. Perhaps looking for those things in art are what make art yours, and the journey there makes it all worthwhile too.

Don't forget to show us, y'hear?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.