Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: j's sketchbook

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

j's sketchbook

go to last post

im resurrecting this thread for my own discipline! i currently go to RIT for 3d design.

-- 2011 edit --
    Anyway, hi, I'm Jaytea. I'm sixteen and lazy, but working on it. I don't know what I want to do with my life, but I like illustrating. lately I've been really unmotivated to be an artist so I'd appreciate any advice.

-- original post --

First post. Scary. ._.; Love all the art, but I feel awkward, all the way at the bottom of the food chain.

I love the loose CG style and the realistic art here; been trying to work my style towards that more, but I'm too impressionistic yet. I've been around for a while, lurking on a few other sites, but I think I might be up to trying my hand at these anatomy studies and really doing some actual improving. I'm serious about this, but probably not serious enough. D: Must improve my proportions; my arm length is a bit goofy on some of these.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jaytea; February 5th, 2014 at 09:36 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few studies from my sketchbook. Gonna start focusing on anatomy, so crits appreciated. D: A couple of these are pretty bad; the first profile is pretty messed up. Will try to get some speedpaints in.

Last edited by Jaytea; October 12th, 2008 at 06:53 AM.

Kalorn is offline Obnoxiously Euphoric Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're off to a good start. One thing I have to say, I quoteth from one of the class threads on this site. "Don't be afraid to take time with your sketchs, it's probably one of the few times your not working on deadline."
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks. |D That is too true, though I'm too young yet to get employed... for anything really xP All the more time I guess.

A speedie portrait in a program similar to Painter
    Reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its coming nice...keep going...wish u a gr8 life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that bottom portrait I'm not an expert, but you could do a few more studies of the human body. Most people here suggest George B. Bridgman for that (E-Book!) Me thinks, you will be great in no time

SKETCHBOOK
    "In criticizing, the teacher is hoping to teach. That's all."- Bankei

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Talo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portrait is great.
    Especially if it's true that you are 13 years old. Respect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Talo View Post
    I like that bottom portrait I'm not an expert, but you could do a few more studies of the human body. Most people here suggest George B. Bridgman for that (E-Book!) Me thinks, you will be great in no time
    I agree!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it is very helpful. I'm starting with my weak spots; I've been doing a couple head on fullbodies, and a few poses, but I need to get a few more refs. Will hook up my scanner on another computer and upload that stuffs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Basically copying what I see in the book in an effort to commit the muscles to memory; I do that a lot. Have started to try to apply the arm thing, but... eh... /epikphail

Probably try a few more of these then legs and then put it together more.

Oh, and that last sketch was a bit of an unfinished little creature inspired by Minja's work. Love those little critters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slowly getting more stuff in. Trying to work on my humans, ppffft so a lot of these are referenced from the Plain Dealer (a popular Cleveland newspaper) or photos from 'the Associated Press' in the PD.

Yay, weekend, finally can get some CG stuff in.

hopefully

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You´re the best 13 years old guy i´ve ever seen. Why didn´t i realize my faith when i was your age? ;D

Amazing portrait!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Talo: Thanks for that, man! I've been looking at some books, but that ones pretty good with arms; just what I need. I have a compilation of Giovanni... ah can't remember his whole name, but he has great books for anatomy and just pencil work in particular.

TLL: Thank you~! ;] Yep, I'm lucky I got started early. Two years ago today I drew my first digital image and was completely serious from then on, haha even if I did suck.

Bazzu: *thirteen year old girl actually haha
    Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello. I can support you continuously. Maintenance renewal picture,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the comment on my sb and as for ur sketchbook, u have a good start but one thing i have to say is about you anatomy studies.

you copied them out of the book which isnt bad(i did it and so has everyone else) but now you have to start using those studies to build up you people/characters. right now,from what i can see, you are just making gesture drawings of people and not really putting your studies to use...whew

ok after looking at that it looks like im yelling at you, but im telling you this so you become better. goodluck i will try to check back.
    ps i have that same book (constuctive anatomy by bridgeman)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Radon_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sadclown- Uh?

Radon- "Basically copying what I see in the book in an effort to commit the muscles to memory; I do that a lot. Have started to try to apply the arm thing, but... eh... /epikphail

Probably try a few more of these then legs and then put it together more." ~what I said in the post
    Yeah, I'm not. :b I'm slowly trying to incorporate it into my work, but I wanted to copy straight from the book so I didn't go straight to applying what I didn't fully understand. :] And no, I appreciated crits; I've gone soft, everyone I know tells me I'm good blablabla which at times gets a little redundant.

Contour, eh? Ah, maybe I should, pffthaha but I hate it so much after we did it in art class I found it not very appealing. Maybe I should, though, for the sake of loosening up. xD;

I can tell this is going to be a very empty thread, haha.

bottom
    left
    right

Last edited by Jaytea; October 4th, 2008 at 06:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i forgot to say instead of doing gesture do contour, which means one continuous line, or without picking up your pencil

we did that for the first 4 weeks in my art class
    oh yea i love minja's work too!! lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    boy do i wish i started as early as you did.
    you're work is very promising, especially for someone so young!
    keep drawing, and don't skimp on those anatomy studies.
    you'll go far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a la bapsi View Post
    boy do i wish i started as early as you did.
    you're work is very promising, especially for someone so young!
    keep drawing, and don't skimp on those anatomy studies.
    you'll go far.
    I second that. You're headed for greatness as long as you keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahhhh yes. I thought you would be using a program like photoshop, (Gimp,sai,sketchbook pro?) Paint with the opacity off (change it manually with the slider) the most important thing in painting is value which you probably know. eye pick your colors as if you were picking it up with your brush on a palette. you're not working on a deadline so you have time to train your eye and to paint in a way to learn structure. when you set your pen to opacity you use so many values and your work turns to mush(unless you're using oils then you only have to worry about your colors turning to mud but you get better by painting with opacity off).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff you've got here! i see growth just from the first images you posted to the later posts. you're definitely on the right track.
    so, judging by what you've posted so far, are people what you're most interested in drawing? my advice would be, keep up the anatomy studies, and also draw anyone and everyone around you. draw from life. draw your classmates, your family, people on the bus, whoever you can. you'll learn lots just from observation.
    keep it up! i wanna see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find the quickest and easiest way to make a bit of an improvement in your art is to become better with your lines.... Your lines are light, thin and sketchy, this isnt very appealing to the eye. Bold and precise lines are more aesthetically appealing

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=138407

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SKETCHBOOK!?!?!?!?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to A.GEAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a la bapsi & Jodo- Thank you both, kindly. Haha I'll see if I can do fullbody next. D: Kind of scary to go without a ref.

nicehighs- I see what you mean. Actually, I use ShiPainter Pro (java-based internet application that doesn't really support much memory and sometimes crashes, but is very useful and versatile), and honestly, it's very hard to turn off the pen-opacity because of the way the watercolors interact with color; I can see for Painter yes, that makes sense because paint could be used more thickly. I'll give that a shot sometime.

JennyDavis- Thanks for the input! And yeah, I suppose I like to draw people, because I found them more expressive than canines [which is probably what I'd prefer to draw, well, maybe not any more |D;] plus I can't avoid them if I'm going to be drawing a lot. I've only got one thing drawn from life there, haha, nothing seems to hold still for very long, (but my friend was reading a book; it's the girl saying five minutes) but I suppose that's part of the observation thing, haha.

A.GEAN- Oh... wow, you're too right. I'll keep that in mind, thanks~! Might be a little hard for a transition, but I'll definitely work on that.

Fshoo- Eheh, tryouts at some Oekakis encouraged strongly, or rather, almost required refs, and then I found I work better with them.
    Yeah, age is why I'm a little nervous posting this; well, posting in general, until I found a few other sketchbooks at about my age and thought, "I could do that." And yes, I've been very spoiled, haha, which is another reason I didn't mention my age at first because I was afraid I'd get no critique, but I am so that's a plus. Thanks~

Last edited by Jaytea; October 5th, 2008 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mate you coming along great, as A.GEAN said work on your lines make them as fluid and long as possible not just constant mini strokes, I had the same problem at your age . start trying to use colour with your study's mix things up a bit. keep on drawing.

Currently looking for work!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dilated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    upper
    right
    and that other one was ref'd from one of those attachments on someone else's sketchbook.

Well, an attempt at cleaner lines, pretty much failed, but I admit that it's smoother than my other pages lol. I've still got such a light hand...

Must work on legs now, and maybe some canines.

Last edited by Jaytea; October 5th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're off to a good start, you'll come far this way. I wasn't that keen on reference and all that jazz on your age. Apparently it is needed for everyone younger than 18 to tell that they are young in here. I don't mean to be mean or anything, it's just that to me, age doesn't matter. If you're 40 or 20, as long as you produce good art, that's the point right? I say this so you don't get spoiled with all the positive feedback you've been given, although it can be hard. Work hard, listen to the critique given, and become great ;D

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice studies, try to use a darker lead, these are really light. Where are at in Ohio? I live in Columbus. Are you intending to go to an art school? Keep it up, I already see some improvement.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bottom pic is my fav. Good job.

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.

My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Envisor- Ahah, yeah, guilty, all I have is regular 2B, well, besides charcoal pencils. I need to get a 6B or something soon because I've just about finished my sketchbook and am begging mom to take me to Prizm soon. B] Heheh...

Up north in Cleveland, and yeah, I'd like to go to an art school, though probably not the CIA because I've heard it's more known as a design school.

americanheadcharge- Thank you. Haha, bottom right is my fave.

Envisor is offline 21 year old artist workin' to improve! Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm attending CCAD right now. It has an awesome selection of majors ranging from Illustration to Design. Columbus College of Art and Design is the name, its kind of expensive, but not near as much as CIA is. If you have a 2B, it should be no problem to get good darks with. Maybe its your scanner, try messing with the brightness and contrast.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"- Albert Einstein

Eric wants to LEARN! Sketchbook

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4