Sketchbook: j's sketchbook - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: j's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should get used to using darker values in your pencil sketches. Right now most of them are just done with one pencil and this gives you little practice with form.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Craz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Craz- |D alrighty.

pg 8 fuck yeah. /lamesauce

School's over so finally I can get some quality time alone for most of the day.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice digis, you should take your digitals further with blending and colour rather than leaving them as sketches, otherwise you won't learn the refining part of painting. Keepitup

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SamC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    unless those lamps are angled in another direction than the VP is suggesting they are... they should also be facing the same way the boxes are

I did a quicky overpaint with a mouse.. so forgive the sloppyness.

and i also 'corrected' the positions of those lamps by giving them the same distance in between.

and if you don't know how to do that... this is probably the easiest way to get the same distance between two objects or to get the same area copied accurately over and over. ( for windows on buildings.. or for streelamps.. or whatever.. that is repeated hehe)

to begin with I set up a basic 1Point perspective and defined my first "area" which could be any size or "anything".. for streetlamps.. the size or width doesn't matter.. only the depth and how you choose to present your distance. ( Simple thinking... is the streetlamps really far apart ? or are they close.. and relate that to the rest of the picture.. to create scale for example ) There are better but more complicated ways to measure and create perfect squares etc.. but that's not what this is about.. hehe

http://dile1482.com/pics/1b.jpg

after that i setup the first two objects ( streetlamps ) that have the "correct" distance between them... AREA1 is the measure we will be using.. again it can be any width when it comes to just getting the distance of two objects like this.. and it is the area which we will copy .. and by copying it.. we will get the corners ( which is the street lamps ) to accurately be placed at the right distance..

http://dile1482.com/pics/2.jpg

Now, i make a cross.. just use the four corners of AREA1 and draw a straight line right over as the picture display..

http://dile1482.com/pics/3.jpg

and make a new perspective line from the VP and over the middle of the cross.. it can be a bit tricky and its important that you get it just in the middle.

http://dile1482.com/pics/4.jpg

this will established the middle of AREA1

http://dile1482.com/pics/5.jpg

by using the middle point of our closest corner.. we can now drag a line from the object closest to the horizon and through it.. and meet up with the first opposite perspective line.. ( red rings... )

http://dile1482.com/pics/6.jpg

and after that you see how you have now copied AREA1 by just drawing a new line horizontally right over from the point your line arrived at in step 5.
    And by copying AREA1 .. you know have the NEW POSITION of the same distance for the streetlamp.

I hope that made sense i'm a bit tired hehe..

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dile_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SamC- Aye, I should finish my stuff. That last picture though... photoshop crashed while I was working on it, so that's the latest copy I have. D; I haven't done anything refined or SUPER FANTASTIC ILLUSTRATION yet because I'm working more on construction of people and just getting down basic perspective concepts...

Dile_- WHOA THANKS. That's helped loads; at first my thought was, "oh, I've learned this X-middle thing" but I never learned it backwards. Really, thanks so much for that mini-tutorial. |D and don't worry, I'm doing all of these perspective things in mouse too, because it's too precise work for a pen.

Could I get help on the last picture? The placement of the shadow is a little confusing. Referenced from the very-useful seedling tutorial

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shadow placement

Studies! Good!

The sun's low at the horizon, notice the long shadow you created. So the floating cube's shadow is going to be far in the distance.

Red lines: find sun's vanishing point based on existing shadow (below ground).
    Green lines: project floating cube corners on ground.
    Blue lines: connect the dots to get the shadow.
    Name:  shadow.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  23.1 KB
    The sun's vp is placed a bit awkward here. In both shadows some construction lines (nearly) overlap and the new shadow gets very small, which makes it all hard to read.

You could also place the sun's vp first and then construct shadows out of that. Just pick a point on the horizon line and a second point somewhere directly below it. The further down it is, the higher the sun and the shorter the shadows.

Bonus observation: the cubes don't have the same size or shape, but they do share orientation. You could use the "X-middle-thing" to make them identical.

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jasper Flick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook, your hard work is really paying off, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper Flick- Thanks so much for that demonstration; I had to go over Seedling's and your description a couple times before I understood which intersected where... but it still doesn't seem to look right. O__o; is that it?

next want to try making sun-shadows, but without the sun from behind. I'm a little iffy still on how that works...

[ste] ;u; <3

:U anyone have references/know movies of someone holding a torch in a dark cave?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shadows galore!

Your ground shadow is okay! Most of the time the shadow will be hexagonal. That's because two of its eight corners will fall inside the shadow.
    What's probably tripping you up is that you're assuming the sun is further to the right than it really is. The sun is on the side of the cube opposite to where it's vanishing point lies. I've fixed the shading on the cube and color coded your drawing to make it more obvious.
    Name:  cube_shadow.png
Views: 491
Size:  37.9 KB

Having the sun inside your view is probably easier to manage, because now you've got an obvious vanishing point: the sun itself. Besides that, the procedure is the same. Here's an example with a cube both on and off the ground. I've omitted most of the cube's construction lines for clarity. Don't need them for the shadows anyway.
    Name:  shadows_towards_viewer.png
Views: 534
Size:  100.3 KB

Last edited by Jasper Flick; June 9th, 2009 at 05:11 AM. Reason: clarification

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper Flick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper Flick- awright, gonna try those eventually. ;] Thank you so much for the diagrams--they're very useful!

~

ugh I have to keep a steady flow of art, but it's like trying to balance the fun part and the learning part; the two mix but not always.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, those perspective studies are awesome! It's really educational to look through them. For the boy in the cave, this is all I could find, but you can usually find a way to take a similar ref yourself using a lighter or a candle (the light won't be quite the same as a torch but you should be able to intensify the light using the ref as a starting point). And you could use a stuffed animal for the dog XD For a specific crit, I feel like the dog should also be receiving some of the direct light from the torch that would be more intense than the reflected light that is lighting up his lower neck area. The torch's handle should block the light from hitting the dog's face but I would think the light should hit the dog's back and the back of his neck and produce a bit of a rim lighting on the figure. Also the reflected light on the dog should be coming more from the upper left as that's where the light is hitting the cave wall.

Hope that's helpful in some way, and keep up the good work!

Last edited by dierat; June 22nd, 2009 at 03:08 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat- WOW thank you kindly for your critique. :] Those pictures were very useful.

ugghghh the first two are studies with some partial-references from wherever. I'm too lazy to find them again.

reference for the wolf
    reference

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to be less sloppy with those head studies. They're not useful for construction if the anatomy melts. The big head studies are more useful than the tiny sketches, they force a steady hand and won't grant you lucky accidents that often.

The tunnel is going pretty sweet!

That last wolf is bothering me, I'm not sure... It feels too much like a photo, and the blur/detail progression doesn't make sense. There's no structure in how this was created, it's half a head. Did you paintover or copy parts?

Edit: Seen the reference for the wolf on your DA account, and now it kinda makes sense. You've changed its orientation, but moved parts of the head in slightly different directions while doing so. The result is a collage of unrelated parts, not a well constructed head. It's a common pitfall if you don't exactly draw what you reference. You've also placed details based on color instead of position, which results in a weird focus.

Last edited by Jasper Flick; June 23rd, 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my god! shalite, i'm really impressed by the progress you've made!
    the perspective stuff gives me a headache. ;^^

nothing really to crit except for saying, take time when you do a painting and make sure your proportions are right before you dig in .

but meh, have fun! the piece with the wolf is looking nice.

and thanks for bringing me back to ca ^^.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jasper Flick- lol lucky accidents seem to be my trademark atm.

and yeah... the whole result shows how badly I fumbled at the turning-a-head thing. |D;

DigitallyDumbfounded- blah I hate to think I'm actually on the easy end of this perspective thing. I still haven't gotten to measuring points/station points etc.etc.

~<3

~

need to start throwing paint around more. have some oil studies lying around that need to be photo'd.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooool
    Is that meant to be ichigo? looool
    Awesome work as usual.
    Them drawings from imagination will really help so do alot.
    It's my birthday 2day
    Keep at it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Great work here Shalite, Love the mix of personal work and Studies as thats something I always find hard to balance as I love to draw what i like and find studies alittle boring (that and I have a very small attention span XD) but I love what you've got here =D

My only advice to you is that you keep going hard at the studies and then every so often apply that new knowledge into your personal works and see how much you have progressed

I'll be checking back every so often myself

If Your Interested, here's My Old Sketchbook
    and my new Sketchbook

26. The Following User Says Thank You to NekuSakuraba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo- YOU IDIOT THAT'S GRIMJOWWW don't make me whack you with a bat or something

happy fifteenth, bitch : D I didn't forget, Grimmjow was for you

NekuSakuraba- I have to say that's probably the most encouraging thing anyone's said to me in months. |D Thanks for the prod; I finally got round to doing more personal works and it makes me feel better than I have in months. I'll have to keep an eye out for keeping a balance between studies/personal in the future. :]

~

digital shit. crits appreciated on the last wip.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah baby ! nice digital stuff, especially the last one, you should try to work on the edges, to more detail the foreground, and especially the character ! and try to paint on a bigger canvas ! Wanna see a new update tomorow ! Take care !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was pretty serious about drawing at your age, but I would go through phases of insecurity, I would kind of stop and start again. So, don't do that. If you keep doing this consistently you'll be far, far ahead of the other art students by the time you're 18.

Your landscapes/backgrounds are very moody. You should do some from life. The horse looks a little static, like it’s just trotting along there having fun and not charging into war. The horses behind him look like they are going faster. The values could use some work, the ground probably shouldn’t be the same value as the sky. I’m not really an expert at drawing ground but I think defining a few patches of grass might help.

Chances are you've already heard of these two websites, but Flickr is a really good place for reference, and so is Getty Images. Deviantart has a lot of good photos but it takes a while to sort through it all. I’ve been trying to find horses for my own project and I’ve found that rodeo pictures are pretty useful, although that probably isn’t what you are after. You should check out Muybridge.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to •Lindsay• For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry about the lucky accidents, focus on your average skill. Push that up. At some point it'll surpass the flukes.

The far side of the boy's head isn't well defined. That eye is off, which you can trace back to the previous draft, you should've fixed it at that point.
    There is suggestion of volume in the face, which is good!

The colors of the horse make it stand out, which is nice. The rest is mud. The rider fades away into it. And he's gray. Real life stuff always has some color, not gray. If anything, it picks up color from its surroundings.
    The horse's nose is vertically cut off straight at the front side, which is weird.
    To me it sort-of looks like the horse is moving backwards. There's no line of action going right. If anything, it goes upwards and leftwards. It might be about to balk.

You like horses, right? Might I suggest you do sketches of horses in motion?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jasper Flick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! You've definitely improved throughout this sketchbook. Keep doing what you're doing and you'll only keep getting better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D- Oekaki can't get much bigger. |D my max canvas size is 800x800
    and yeah edges are hard to define with the tools in oekaki, not so much like PS where you can simply slide a dial and it's all hard-edged. |D;;

•Lindsay•- @___@; yeah, I don't even know if insecurity is the word.

haha I've been asking my parents to take me down to the lake with all my supplies and stuff soon so :T
    lol working on that horse pic |D

I've heard of flickr, but my laptop has issues with search engines and gets all crabby when I have to use them, but we've wiped it so I'll be trying that place more now. :]

Jasper Flick- I'll try to fix that as soon as I reinstall photoshop.

lol that horse seems to be giving me problems. I've done a sketch on a new pose so... idk
    and the irony is that I'm not into horses. I just have the inconvenient need to draw them all the time |T why couldn't knights look epic charging awkwardly on foot into war geezuz

jackpot_anjr90- ty sir~
    ~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dang your stuff is gorgeous

keep it up hun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course knights can look epic without a horse!
    But make sure you use the right references. On DA I saw you used a photo from a horse competition. So you drew a horse doing a funky move, like bouncing in place or moving backwards... on the field of battle. Don't use something from a completely different context, because it won't match. Use stuff like footage from war movies.

Frankly, I'm puzzled why you list your references on DA but not here. It can get you much better critique.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theories- thank you benji ~<3

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper Flick View Post
    :) Of course knights can look epic without a horse!
    But make sure you use the right references. On DA I saw you used a photo from a horse competition. So you drew a horse doing a funky move, like bouncing in place or moving backwards... on the field of battle. Don't use something from a completely different context, because it won't match. Use stuff like footage from war movies.

Frankly, I'm puzzled why you list your references on DA but not here. It can get you much better critique.
    THEY CAN??
    /mental note

rofl okay so my friend gave me a picture of a horse |OTL and asked me to draw it and then I saw it and immediately thought of my older stuff + abandoned composition and then... yeah... yeah won't make that mistake again. aside it's the completely wrong breed of horse |T destriers don't even exist anymore

as for references it's laziness: on dA I don't post in bulk.
    but I can list them right here |D;
    oh joy most of them are from dA anyway I will get some other ones I mean it this time honestly
    ~

http://danheffer-stock.deviantart.co...IIII-127795009
    http://danheffer-stock.deviantart.co...mile-120428718
    http://danheffer-stock.deviantart.co...d-II-120989601

http://imagebank.ipcmedia.com/imageBank/l/lee.jpg

http://tacostock.deviantart.com/art/...ack-2-35146052

http://merlinsmoonshadow.deviantart....eek-5-51315976

~

expect a name change soon
    WHO IS JAYTEA YOU ASK????
    um
    idk
    but it sounds a lot like JT doesn't it /winkwinknudgenudge
    being called shalite has been getting annoying lately

appreciate critique on the last image, even if it's a bit gloppy atm.
    it's a commission to paint one of rockwell's paintings and inserting the likeness of someone. unfortunately I'm not too good at likenesses. orz back to construction.

I have only these refs atm
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ster/rich1.jpg
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ster/rich2.jpg
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ster/rich3.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man your new name seriously confuzzled me XD I was thinking "I swear I've seen this sketchbook before.. but who is this person?!" Anyway, nice updates! I don't have anything really specific to say except that I like the watercolor and pen sketches and the portrait studies. So good work, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat- xP
    thank you for the support~

~

http://www.inmagine.com/cr15359/cr15359033-photo
    got some scans to upload but my card reader decided to die so I'll get to it later today or tomorrow.

I should be painting or finishing all those wips :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would make the wall hangings a bit more neutralized. It looks right now like the type in the doctor's certificate and the frames are using straight black which makes them higher contrast than your figures. Play around with the balance of color and value to make your figures the focus and not the props. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dierat- wow fast reply |D thank you for the crit; damn, I already ordered prints for the commissioner :/ ah well, it's probably worth the retouch though because I'm not too happy with that picture

yay nupastel

the "thinker"-esque drawing is a study from one of Rodin's sculptures at a museum

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4