My wacom suddenly got the jitters! Is it old age?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy My wacom suddenly got the jitters! Is it old age?

Hi,

Just in class today, I found my curser to jitter crazily, mostly when close to the corners of my screen. The radius of this random jumping movement is approximately 0.1-0.25 inches. It was fluttering a bit yesterday but not to the extent that it interfered with what I was doing...

A couple classmates told me that this was probably caused by old age/overuse. However, I've only had my tablet for a little more than a year. Also, I haven't used it NEARLY as much as a pro would, so I have a hard time believing I worked it to near death. I did, however, transport it to class a lot last year, so I'm wondering if the back and forth trips and jostling might've had something to do with it...

I tried rebooting already-- and no help.

Anyone know of a cure?

(I have an Intuos3, 9X12.)

Last edited by Zirngibism; September 26th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Funny, I had something similar happen today, but only in PS and my Intuos (also9x12) is new. No restarting helped and it just seemed to happen with one particular document... and then it went away.?
    But I'd guess it's software/OS related and I sometimes get a warning, that the driver isn't running. I also experienced messed up screen mapping, wich I think was responsible for the jitter.
    So, probably you should update drivers or check if you installed something else lately. Sometimes XP is getting conflicts for no apparent reason. :s (if that's what you're using anyway ;P)
    Hope there's something in this for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tablet cursors will jitter if they're too close to some monitors.

I would be less likely to believe in your classmate's experience on the subject since I have a generation 1 intous that still works as lovely as the day I bought it (minus the interference problem I had when it was too close to my old monitor). I also travelled extensively with the thing. They can handle quite a bit of abuse.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitallyDumbfounded View Post
    Funny, I had something similar happen today, but only in PS and my Intuos (also9x12) is new. No restarting helped and it just seemed to happen with one particular document... and then it went away.?
    But I'd guess it's software/OS related and I sometimes get a warning, that the driver isn't running. I also experienced messed up screen mapping, wich I think was responsible for the jitter.
    So, probably you should update drivers or check if you installed something else lately. Sometimes XP is getting conflicts for no apparent reason. :s (if that's what you're using anyway ;P)
    Hope there's something in this for you.
    Thanks!
    I think you're onto something when you mention XP. I have a new laptop with XP on it and it's still asking me to download new updates every time I go to shut it off. I suppose windows updates can count as something I've installed lately...
    As to screen mapping, is this something you can edit/customize? I don't remember coming across it...

And to Mirana--
    I also hadn't considered the proximity to the screen (which was close, but has always been close. It's a laptop, so I would think that the keyboard would put enough distance... perhaps it's not the same exact kind of display?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I got jitter with my old monitor, and not my new...I'm inclined to think it's a CRT issue (new one is LCD). I doubt it's an issue with laptops.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm also on a laptop, so that's hardly the point.
    However. Finish all of your security updates, uninstall driver, DO turn of the built in zone alarm in XP and virus software, then reinstall.
    Best chance, I think. Also you might try different driver versions from the Wacom homepage. That usually does it. I'm really guessing that for some reason XP isn't properly initializing the driver.
    If that doesn't work you might just try your tablet on another computer. That will at least rule out if it's a hardware issue.

And the mapping is something you can set in the properties.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DigitallyDumbfounded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh...
    yaknow what's weird?
    When I got my laptop all set up to reinstall the driver (but before I did anything) all of a sudden the jitter problem totally disappeared!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, yeah. Sometimes you just have to intimidate your computer and show it who's wearing the pants. ;P
    Like, do it or I'll format you!!!
    Nah, good to hear.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Mine still works flawlessly and I bash it around everywhere. When I used to work on XP I had driver issues all the time with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CRTs and cellphones might cause that, moving the tablet away from the monitor or changing the refresh rate might help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.