Sketchbook: Spirits, Aliens and my Mind, oh my!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spirits, Aliens and my Mind, oh my!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wink Spirits, Aliens and my Mind, oh my!!

Last year, I was really worried about making money, since I was jobless for six months straight. So I was really trying to find a niche for my art in the more commercial art world. But that didn't make me happy for many reasons

it wasn't until early this year that I learned about 'visionary art', something my college never taught me. I was immedietly drawn to it being a mystic myself. But I realize the fine line I walk on, since so many visionary artists are just laughed at by the mainstream art world. And it seems really hard to find advice on how to push this type of artwork forward. Thats where you guys come in! I wanted to start a new sketchbook to start fresh. (if thats not allowed, just let me know)

So I bought a sketchbook, and I started a different way to draw. Pen in my hand, no erasing, zero reference, and trying to keep my thoughts focused on what it is I wanted to portray. I wasn't trying to create a masterpiece, or even something I wanted to really share. Most of these drawings I've kept hidden in the dark for months. I only wanted to get something out of my head, be myself, and then use them as springboards to make artwork that I can show off!

But I also try to balance my right brained drawings with left brained technnical studies.

background, I use traditional mediums and enjoy oil painting the most. I want to eventually get into mixed media and fiber art. stay tuned, lots of crappy images to follow.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

some of the earlier sketches of the year. my intent was to draw the spirit, so I didn't want it to look like they have physical bodies - or even that the human spirit has to look like a human

ps. that last picture is colored with CRAYONS, lol. I use crayons when I doodle at work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    faces! faces! faces! I drew lots of faces in my sketchbook not knowing what to do with them. so I just call them aliens.

I know I know that eye is wonky. Can't erase! Just doodling with pen!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some beasties, these were doodled at work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some of the things I was studying were minerals and snowflakes. the geometry of nature amazes me, I can't draw straight lines or count to save my life though. my attempts to capture the beauty of either minerals or snowflakes, has been poor, but its been a good learning lesson

the mineral sketches were made at work. but I did try many times to draw straight from the reference, haven't scanned any of them - because they were so crappy! meant to try to paint them in oils too. but the task was so challenging I just mentally fart before I can get to it. any advice on approaching painting the minerals would be awesome.

the snowflakes, I was looking at them in my book for maybe three months before I could even approach their complexity. My drawings are normally loosy goosy, and they were so mathematical, perfect but organic. In the technical drawing of the snowflakes, those are just the hexagon center of the snowflake.

those are probably some of my only technical drawings where I first drew in pencil then traced in pen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for a long time I've been interested in the mineral kingdom, and for a long time I've been interested in insects, who also seem to glitter like gold when looked at closer

then one day, I thought "eureka! why don't I combine my insects and the minerals together?" so some of these I am going to paint soon. but I really really suck at painting shiny minerally like things! ps, I am a total nuasicaa fan.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    when I birthday rolled around in july, I got a very awesome watercolor sketchbook that was begging to be colored. these are acrylic washes though. I was having fun playing with organic shapes, and the sea critter was inspired by watching that discovery episode too many times. blue planet? bioluminescence is fun! did I spell that right?

but I still consider these all sketches. the last two I really enjoy and I'm wondering how I can push them forward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are some of my most recent sketches doodled at work, where I felt things are starting to click. but not sure yet how I can push these forward

the dragon, its a whole-other story. my love of the eastern dragon comes from some dreams

well I think thats it for now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    two dragon doodles and a dream drawing

I want to be able to draw my dreams, but that has so far been one of the toughest things for me. in this dream, I was trapped in an endless building with no doors or windows, desperately trying to get out. Each room was a cluttered illogical mess, and I would have to find something, some way to get out. In this room one of the shelves in the back was pitch black, and I imagined that maybe it was dark because it was a long hallway, so it was! freedom on the other side

doodled at work, again, as usual

Members who have read this thread: 2