Gemini School of Visual Arts-Austin TX-Thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gemini School of Visual Arts-Austin TX-Thread

Hello everyone, here's the start of our official thread!

About Gemini School
    Welcome to the Gemini School of Visual Arts & Communication-where “We Turn Talent into a Profession”. For over 20 years, Gemini School has prepared students for successful careers as commercial artists in advertising agencies, videogame development studios, publishing houses, film/special effects studios, corporations and as fine artists around the world.

Our graduates can be found working both full-time and as freelancers for studios like Disney, Electronic Arts and Sony to advertising agencies (Publicis, BBDO, TBWA-Chiat Day, Ayzenberg) and in national publications including Maxim, Popular Science, GamePro, EGM and Business Week.

The curriculum is based on the essential skills of drawing and painting--and designed for the student who is focused, creative and passionate about their career. Once essential skills are mastered, students move into our intense, industry driven digital media program. In classes taught by professional, working artists, students explore “real world” solutions to creative problems while mastering the latest software and techniques in digital painting, concept art, photography, modeling and more.

As students enter their final year at Gemini, we guide them through our Career Services program. From special industry-only networking events to portfolio preparation, internship opportunities and job search strategies, students are counseled every step of the way as they transition into the workforce.

We encourage you to explore our website @ www.geminischool.com and see the results of our program in the student and faculty galleries.
    And keep an eye out for the launch of our new website in November 2008!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Open House/Portfolio Night October 23rd

Experience Gemini School at our October Open House on Thursday, October 23rd from 4-7 p.m. Tour the school, meet students & faculty, learn about student loan options and visit our student gallery. Directors/Faculty will be available to review portfolios--but an appointment is recommended. Walk-in's are also welcome! For directions or more information, visit our website www.geminischool.com or call us at 512-249-1237. Hope to see you there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gemini School Open House Dec. 10th & 11th

Open House/Portfolio Night Wed. Dec. 10th and Thurs. Dec. 11th

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Experience Gemini School at our December Open House on Wednesday, December 10th and Thursday, December 11th from 4-7 p.m. Tour the school, meet students & faculty, learn about student loan options and visit our student gallery. Directors/Faculty will be available to review portfolios--but an appointment is recommended. Walk-in's are also welcome! For directions or more information, visit our website www.geminischool.com or call us at 512-249-1237. Hope to see you there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gemini School Open House-cancelled tonight

Just an FYI--tonights Open House/Portfolio Night has been cancelled. Tomorrow night's event (Thursday, Dec. 11th) is on schedule. 4-7 p.m. @Gemini School.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gemini School launches new website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    North America needs more schools like this! Good luck to you, and do visit if you're ever in Toronto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Maxine! Happy New Year to you and everyone at Max the Mutt. Best, Cynthia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any students at Gemini care to chime in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't say anything about International students?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Summer Workshops!

Hi everyone, We've just announced our Summer Workshop Series for 2009. Some of the basic classes may not be advanced enough for this group--but the Digital Painting with Corel Painter workshop is being taught by Roger Barcilon. He's an Award of Excellence winner from the book Painter (Ballistic Publishing) and soon to be listed as a Corel Master artist.

Workshop descriptions, prices and registration info is here:

http://www.geminischool.com/html/summer_workshops.asp

Cheers,Cynthia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I live not too far from Gemini and have visited y'all on one occasion and fell in love with the teachers and the art. I am super excited about the summer workshop and am doing my best to schedule it in now!

Can you tell me anything about the Concept Art workshop? That is the one I am most interested in! The Digital Painting workshop sounds ever more exciting! However, marching season starts on the 1st of August so that's pretty much a no go at this moment.

How quickly are these classes filling up? I want to sign up today, but, like I said, I have to figure things out. Man I'm cannot contain my excitement!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are there any plans in the works to offer any other lengths of study (e.g. 1, 2, or 3 year program) other than the stated 4 year Diploma in Visual Arts & Communication and specialized workshops?

You guys sound great and I'm thoroughly impressed with the student works, but the $73K pricetag for the diploma nags me quite a bit in terms of time and and money involved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, I'm going to reply to both earlier posts.

1. Summer Workshops. The class size is limited and we're getting a good early response, so I would say if you want to take the class--especially concept art-go ahead a register. It will cover basic character and environment and will be taught by a professional concept artist working in Austin. If you want more details, feel free to email me directly at cynthia@geminischool.com. We hope to see you over the summer!

2. Full time course length. Right now, we're getting a lot of requests for continuing education, so we've started with Summer Workshops. In the future, we may be able to offer a shorter version of the program, but we believe that a student must have a solid drawing and painting foundation. So that has to be solid before we'd move someone into the last half of the program. Having said that, since you live in Texas, I would suggest visiting us and bringing your portfolio. No pressure, but at least the director could see what you do and give you an informed answer. Next time you're in Austin, let us know--we can set something up. And, we are having an open house on Sat. Feb 28th if you're interested. My direct email is cynthia@geminischool.com if you want to ask further questions Thanks for the interest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much! This information is helpful! I will be sending e-mails that concern any more of my questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the detailed reply and direct e-mail for contact Much appreciated.

I'll e-mail any further questions I may have on your school.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

reply to questions

Hi burning chrome, did you happen to send me an email w/ more questions? If so, when I replied it kicked back. Would you mind resending w/ your email address visible? (Only your name was showing). thanks, Cynthia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greetings Cynthia,

The e-mail you sent did appear in my GMail account Inbox. Did you send more than one? Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Burning Chrome, nope just one--so glad you got it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Winter Open House & Portfolio Day Feb. 28th

Join us on Saturday, Feb. 28th for our Winter Open House & Portfolio Day! Tour the school, meet students/faculty/staff, watch demonstrations and sketch in the courtyard. Directors will review portfolios--and of course, we'll have food and drinks!

Demonstrations** Santasusagna Hall
    10-11 Animation- Mookie Weisbroad-BioWare
    11-12 Concept Art/Digital Painting-AJ Trahan-Disney Interactive
    12-1 Figure for Concept Art-Manny Carasco-Stray Bullet
    12-1 Acrylic Painting -AJ Trahan-Disney Interactive
    1-2 3D Modeling-Johnathon Vought-Radioactive Labs
    **Demonstration topic subject to change

Open Sketch
    Join our student models for Open Sketch in the Courtyard from 11-2! Drew Johnson, Gemini School Class of '08 will be leading the Open Sketch.

Portfolio Reviews (RSVP recommended)-Gemini Studio
    10:30-1:30

School Tours
    10-2

Hot dogs, snacks and drinks will be served in the courtyard from 11-1!

For a Portfolio Review appointment, or more info, contact us at cynthia@geminischool.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am going to try and make room for this in my schedule but as of right now my ability of going is jeopardized by music competitions during the morning and afternoon of the 28th. I do not have times as to when I am to perform, those will not be released probably till Monday. But rest assured that I will do what I can to arrive for as much of the open house as humanly possible! Thank you for posting the times of the demonstrations up on the forums!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just a Reminder--Open House Tomorrow!

Winter Open House & Portfolio Day Feb. 28th

It's going to be a beautiful day in Austin tomorrow, so join us this Saturday, Feb. 28th for our Winter Open House & Portfolio Day! Tour the school, meet students/faculty/staff, watch demonstrations and sketch in the courtyard. Directors will review portfolios--and of course, we'll have food and drinks!

Demonstrations** Santasusagna Hall10-11 Animation- Mookie Weisbrod-BioWare
    11-12 Concept Art/Digital Painting-AJ Trahan-Disney Interactive
    12-1 Figure for Concept Art-Manny Carrasco-Stray Bullet
    12-1 Acrylic Painting -AJ Trahan-Disney Interactive
    1-2 3D Modeling-Johnathon Vought-Radioactive Labs
    **Demonstration topic subject to change

Open Sketch
    Join our student models for Open Sketch in the Courtyard from 11-2! Drew Johnson, Gemini School Class of '08 will be leading the Open Sketch.

Portfolio Reviews (RSVP recommended)-Gemini Studio
    10:30-1:30

School Tours
    10-2

Hot dogs, snacks and drinks will be served in the courtyard from 11-1!

For a Portfolio Review appointment, or more info, contact us at cynthia@geminischool.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!!
    This is Ashlee Casey from the portfolio viewing, I absolutely loved the school and everyone that was there.
    Though I'm worried about how far it is from home, I hope I can attend next year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would advise serious consideration before accepting a Sallie Mae loan of any type. Since these are private student loans, that agreement means uncapped, variable interest rates.

My friend who works as an accountant for Deloitte & Touche looked over the Sallie Mae Career Trainig loan option for me and he said that I could be paying as low as 8%, but, depending on the changing economic climate, double-digit interest rates were not out of the question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Check out our new blog!

A few of the Gemini School staff headed out to Los Angeles for Steambot Studios book launch. Check out the pics on our blog! Also, David Levy, Barontieri and the rest of the Steambot team are our special guest artists for Industry Day 2009. If you're a professional artist, see our website for invitation details!

http://geminischool.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an announcement on our Painter Master Class. We are also holding Summer Workshops (we'll be excited to see some of you in the Concept Art workshop!). All of the info is on our website, so check it out. http://www.geminischool.com/html/workshops.asp

THE “POWER OF PAINTER” Master Class
    Wednesday Sept 9th-Saturday Sept 12th
    9:00am-4:00pm
    Take your digital skills to a new level at our four-day “Power of Painter” Master Class to be held at the Gemini School of Visual Arts in Cedar Park, Texas. In this hands-on workshop led by Roger Barcilon, an award winning fine artist and digital illustrator, you’ll learn techniques that will let you create your own digital masterpieces using Corel Painter. With the subject of your choice (either a portrait, landscape or still life) Roger will guide you through the Painter interface and share his studio experiences to improve your technical skills and get faster results. You’ll also learn special printing and finishing techniques to get your paintings ready for sale or exhibition. Students will leave the class with a printed, ready to frame painting. This is an opportunity to learn the “Power of Painter” in a small studio environment with individual attention given to each student. Students should be comfortable painting traditionally either in oil, acrylic or pastel and be familiar with Adobe Photoshop.

To learn more about Roger Barcilon, Gemini School and the workshop, visit our website.

http://www.geminischool.com/html/workshops.asp

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are students still about to attend without any traditional painting background?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.