• Rezeroth

5 20.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #78: Asteroid Miner - Voting

IDW #78 Topic: Asteroid Miner

Deadline for voting: Thursday, October 2

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #78: Asteroid Miner

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1066
Size:  7.5 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artist: D-Holme

Attachment 473682

Artist: Vorace

Attachment 473683

Artist: Goran

Attachment 473684

Artist: Revenebo

Attachment 473685

Basically this miner is a robotic auger drill that lands on asteroids, drills and keeps excavated material within its hull. That ammo clip-like thing should be the container of segments of the boring shaft.

Artist: Timothee

Attachment 473686

There is a sealed hatch at the top of the mining machine for the driver to get in to. The machine can hold up to 2 people. The compartment in the back holds the mining machine's fuel, and main oxygen supply. There is an emergency oxygen supply in the main machine. These mining machines can only be deployed on asteroids the size of 2km wide or bigger.

Artist: Arekkusu

Attachment 473687

The ship's mid section is capable of expanding length and width ways, allowing it to 'berth' asteroids up to a certain size. Once the chunk of rock is in position, the two main boosters are fired. The energy emitted by these boosters strips the rock down into base elements, ions, etc. The particles are then collected and sorted by the two large cylindrical nodes, eventually deposited as pure minerals or ores in the hoppers at the front of the ship.

Artist: f1guremeout

Attachment 473688
    Attachment 473689
    Attachment 473690
    Attachment 473691

Artist: Rezeroth

Attachment 473692

Last edited by yoitisi; September 25th, 2008 at 04:39 AM.

Thanks
    Couple of notes on this round:

Glad to see that the quality of the entries has definately increased compared to last round. The entries in general look more finished and thought out than last time . There were only a few who didn't make it to poll for being very much a WIP still.

On another note, there's a dramatic increase in the use of 3d paint-overs. I've gotten several questions about that, and I'm not yet sure where I stand on this subject. I'll definately get back at it later on, as I think despite the benefits this method has some major negative points too.

F1guremeout: Next time please keep your entry one image only. I decided to put all four of them up for you this time, because it made for a nice entry and it's your first time around, but next time I'll only put up one image in the poll.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    voted figuremeout...nice presentation and clean design - good work!
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    squidmonk3j || thanks for the vote
    i had a ton more drawings and concepts for 3 other types and companies in the fictional time period, but damn. I will continue to develop the rest of the concept in my sketchbook, but couldnt compile it all in time. I hope this proposal suffices.

i really didnt know how to present this. I wrote a bit of background info on the company i made, but i usually do boards like this for my projects, so i just did it the same as I do with those.

i apologize.

Thanks
    Very cool entries, all of them, some more for the idea/design and other for the rendering quality (about my entry: I was so bothered about painting that I didn't realize I was creating a flea with an ammo clip up its a**... next time more concept and less art, I hope)
    I voted for Arekkusu for the original idea and very technical look of his rendering.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to revenebo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    All great entries!. Hard decision, but I ended up voting for f1guremeout, clean design and effective render. I specifically Liked the limited use of colour and the gentleness(?) of your lines man.

Revenebo: Great render man. If you don't mind me asking, i'd love to know your process? Also thanks for the vote :] .
    Whos God?!?.....'God... well you know when you really wish for something?'...yeh??.. 'He is the guy that ignores you.'!

My SB

is the Elixer..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Arekkusu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Arekkusu thank you man! My process includes Photoshop and much swearing... I made a sketch that I liked so I scanned it and I began to paint over it in Photoshop, paying attention to reflections, colour values and saturation (I suck at it, so I use a desaturating adjustment layer to check values). I was too concerned about colours and I took no time to refine the sketch and add details so the final design is quite poor...

Thanks
    Arekkusu || that's funny, I voted for you. I voted for your use of line weights and overall concept. However the design looks more like a starship than a mining vessel, I still voted for it for it's overall effective design. Awesome work.

As for mine, for my first, I'm looking to do much better for the next one. My roommate and I are collaborating for it (He's an long existing member, in illustration. Go figure.) Will post the primary sketches in my sb.

This project i have much more to work on for myself, so i'll post the remainder in my sb over time (which I wish I had more of. lol)

Thanks everyone, for the motivation.

Thanks
    I went with Vorace. There is something about the soft yet also bold line of your piece. Very nice. Plus the extra details you showed of various elements! Quality work, sir!

Rezeroth: Cool piece. I think the blades are a little - wepon/saw like, rather than mining blades. The bars over the cockpit are a little too thick for my taste - they would be blocking most of the view.

Timothee: Hmmm, well done, but a little too straight forward a design.

Revenebo: My second favorite. Could have used a little more clarity and a some different views or detailed blow-up illustrations. The two front appendages/arms are a little weak, I think. The feet are too boring, don't you think? The overall silhouette and "Gestalt" ist pretty sweet though!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    dragon4lunch- Thanks, I know I could have taken the design a bit farther, but oh well, live and learn. Next time, I might just use 2d in my design.
    You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.