Art: Yet another CA nooblet (Update pg 9! Game Art & Sketches) - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work is extremely impressive! How long have you been doing digital painting? Yet another artist to inspire me even more! Keep up the good work

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremygordon89 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Forgive me for not reading all 9 pages of posts, in case this has already been mentioned:

Amazing technique, but how was this achieved? I mean, the silhouettes are so sharp that I suspect you are using paths to mask them, but then again, you even manage to create super sharp shadows inside the characters. It is so super clean, and really impressive. But I guess it also leaves a metallic feeling to some things, which you might have to be careful of.

The left side of the giant in "Beneath the Blackened Heavens" have zero of the light from the sky reflecting on his skin. But this might be done on purpose, because his right side does have it, especially on his arms and leg.

Other than that, your style looks like a HDR effect done right, and the fact that it's done by hand is probably the most impressive thing I've seen in many years.

Art should tell a story. Don't paint a moment, paint a lifetime.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to eobet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demo View Post
    wow like 5 pages with no art this thread is a huge dissapointment...no really it awesome keep it up its greatness
    Ha!
    Thanks demo for the interest and support!

Quote Originally Posted by JugglinJoe View Post
    I really like the first one, with the guys in the bio-containment suit. Feels like a scene from a great movie!

Awesome!
    Thanks jugglin, movie lighting and composition is a big inspiration to me.

All the best

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unique! my english is way too bad to express what i want!
    Thank you for the inspiration!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to theUNKNOWNsketcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crypt, absolutely stunning work! I can't really stress enough how impressive it is so I wont try too hard. I did want to ask you a few questions about your way of practice and maybe a bit about your history. I assume you've been drawing pretty much all your life but at what point did you start to take it seriously and actually look towards making a career of it? Also what media do you work mostly in? What past education have you been through etc?

I would love to one day be able to do work even close to the quality of yours but I'm a bit lost in terms of what is involved along the line of getting that good.

Once again, brilliant work, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more of your work.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Smashed_Pumpkin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is really great! You capture the action very well. Great compositions, color, lighting, characters and motions. Thanks for sharing.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bulldawg Creative For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy Geez... These are phenomenal Cryptcrawler! Your textures alone are breathtaking, but combined with your comps and lighting, mood i am just floored. Some parts of these look like high quality 3D renders for Pete's sake!

I'd tell you good luck on getting hired but you won't be needing it. Now if you'll excuse me, i have to get back to work of my own, I suddenly feel very very small. Thank you for the inspirado!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sig.NAL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Superb and indeed inspiring!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Furitsu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg0rd0n View Post
    your work is extremely impressive! How long have you been doing digital painting? Yet another artist to inspire me even more! Keep up the good work
    Ive been working in digital painting for about 8 years.
    Im so glad you dig the work, its an honor to be told youve inspired someone.
    All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by eobet View Post
    Forgive me for not reading all 9 pages of posts, in case this has already been mentioned:

Amazing technique, but how was this achieved? I mean, the silhouettes are so sharp that I suspect you are using paths to mask them, but then again, you even manage to create super sharp shadows inside the characters. It is so super clean, and really impressive. But I guess it also leaves a metallic feeling to some things, which you might have to be careful of.

The left side of the giant in "Beneath the Blackened Heavens" have zero of the light from the sky reflecting on his skin. But this might be done on purpose, because his right side does have it, especially on his arms and leg.

Other than that, your style looks like a HDR effect done right, and the fact that it's done by hand is probably the most impressive thing I've seen in many years.

Thank you for these really kind words my man!
    I dont use masks, I just toss on a low impact sharpen after popping up the contrast and saturation.
    All of what you see is done by hand from scratch, I feel you learn the most that way.
    I dont really have any shortcuts or special tricks unfortunately, these pieces usually take me about 2+ weeks to do at around 6-8 hours a night, 6 days a week.
    Its not an optimal workflow but I learn a lot on every piece and have come to enjoy the journey far more than the destination, I love to work.

Your right though, I do have to be careful of going too hard on the overexposed lighting in the future, I appreciate that insight.

All the very best to you and thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by theUNKNOWNsketcher View Post
    Unique! my english is way too bad to express what i want!
    Thank you for the inspiration!
    Thank you very much for taking the time to comment as much as you did, I dont even know basic greetings in any language but my own!
    It means a lot to me that Ive inspired you, thank you so much for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Smashed_Pumpkin View Post
    Crypt, absolutely stunning work! I can't really stress enough how impressive it is so I wont try too hard. I did want to ask you a few questions about your way of practice and maybe a bit about your history. I assume you've been drawing pretty much all your life but at what point did you start to take it seriously and actually look towards making a career of it? Also what media do you work mostly in? What past education have you been through etc?

I would love to one day be able to do work even close to the quality of yours but I'm a bit lost in terms of what is involved along the line of getting that good.

Once again, brilliant work, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more of your work.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm for my work, it really goes a long way for me and keeps me driven.
    To answer a few of your questions:
    Ive been drawing on and off my whole life but I decided to start taking it seriously around my mid 20's. Im not trained in the arts, in fact I was kicked out of high-school and have the equivalent of a 9th grade education, im still learning punctuation and spelling as I go.
    I practiced and still do practice a lot, I draw everyday, clocking 5-6 hours when im slacking a bit or waiting on an assignment, 8-10 a day when on a project or contract. It used to be a lot more but since im daddy day-care for my daughter during the day I have less time.
    I practice from photos, and draw from life. I study how light behaves when it comes into contact with an object, I try and duplicate it. I spend a long time trying to make it as accurate as possible so when I sit down to create I can recall it.

And thats it.

If your willing to devote yourself and willing to go through the pain to get better, you will get better.
    Its that simple.

I personally cant wait to get better, the learning *never* ends.

Thanks so much for your interest, it means a lot to me.
    All the very best to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no need for more compliments, my thoughts are perfectly in sync with sourgasm. i, and im sure every other person on this forum would LOVE to see some in progress shots, and/or sketches for these paintings. thanks in advance. keep killin shit!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DeKal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg Creative View Post
    Your work is really great! You capture the action very well. Great compositions, color, lighting, characters and motions. Thanks for sharing.
    Its a pleasure to share, thanks for the really kind words.
    Im really looking forward to getting better and learning more.
    All the best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by KLEVR View Post
    Holy Geez... These are phenomenal Cryptcrawler! Your textures alone are breathtaking, but combined with your comps and lighting, mood i am just floored. Some parts of these look like high quality 3D renders for Pete's sake!

I'd tell you good luck on getting hired but you won't be needing it. Now if you'll excuse me, i have to get back to work of my own, I suddenly feel very very small. Thank you for the inspirado!
    Inspiration is a 2 way street my friend, its comments like yours that push me to strive for better results and push myself to improve. Thanks you very much for the kind words, they mean a lot to me.

Best wishes to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not that I don't know your stuff already, and I can't come up with anything positive that I haven't said once and again before, but... still love your art, B.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Poison For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitsu View Post
    Superb and indeed inspiring!
    Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by DeKal View Post
    no need for more compliments, my thoughts are perfectly in sync with sourgasm. i, and im sure every other person on this forum would LOVE to see some in progress shots, and/or sketches for these paintings. thanks in advance. keep killin shit!
    Sketches are coming!
    Hey , ill take all the compliments I can get, I see nothing but mistakes sometimes.
    Thanks for the kind words!

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Not that I don't know your stuff already, and I can't come up with anything positive that I haven't said once and again before, but... still love your art, B.
    And I still love to hear it, thanks so much buddy, it means a lot that youve been so supportive all these years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all!
    Here's a card I did for Fantasy Flight Games' Dungeon Expansion for thier Board Game Talisman.

I think ill always hate deadlines, I never feel like I can give it my all or do my best, its the nature of the beast I guess.
    There were more cards but this one came out the best I think.

I hope you guys dig it!

Below that is going to be a post of a big 'ol collection of doodles that I thought some of you guys might get a kick out of seeing, ive been fortunate enough to have some of you guys be interested in enough in what I do to even ask, I hope its helpful!

Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here they are!
    Ive numbered them and titled them in case anyone had any interest in a specific one.
    Crits are of course welcome but please keep in mind that these are are extremely rough, I do a lot of rescaling and repairing of anatomy/backgrounds/composition etc after ive layed down the raw feel of what I want.
    Most of these were done in a few hours, the majority of what I like to do takes place after the sketch.

Enjoy!

1) The Stranger
    2) Watery Grave
    3) Oathbearer
    4) Untitled Conan the Barbarian concept
    5) Sorceress concept
    6) Slum
    7) Future Ruin
    8 Kingdom of Darkness
    9) Nightstalker
    10) Enemy of the State
    11) Chase
    12) Hubba Hubba
    13) Mirror
    14) Untitled Nude
    15) "They said to never come down here you know"
    16) "Timmy!...NO!"
    17) The Accursed of Hun-Nal-Ye
    18 Where Dead Gods Dream
    19) Shamanfire
    20) "Then you will die"

Yet another CA nooblet (Update pg 9! Game Art & Sketches)

28. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Cryptcrawler For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AHHHHHHHGGGGGG!
    please tell me you used reference for some of these man.
    anyway, 5 is probly my favorite and i love 15 because it gives me good incite into your process. thanks so much for these man. it was a nice surprise. peace.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DeKal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work man. I can see you render out points of interest as an anchor point to continue on. This is just my segway into pointing out the nicely rendered butt in #15.
    Always a pleasure to View your work.
    All the Best.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Andrews For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DeKal View Post
    AHHHHHHHGGGGGG!
    please tell me you used reference for some of these man.
    anyway, 5 is probly my favorite and i love 15 because it gives me good incite into your process. thanks so much for these man. it was a nice surprise. peace.
    #6 was a practice study and I looked at a photo for that, and you can tell since its probably the most accurately lit.
    The rest is imagination and memory.
    Im glad you liked em, the pleasure is mine, im grateful people are interested!

Quote Originally Posted by danvancool View Post
    Nice work man. I can see you render out points of interest as an anchor point to continue on. This is just my segway into pointing out the nicely rendered butt in #15.
    Always a pleasure to View your work.
    All the Best.
    Hee hee!
    Yep thats exactly what I do, now that you mention it. I honestly dont have a set process, sometimes ill render out a whole background before I start with the figures, other times ill lay down something incredibly soupy as a background ( #16) around the primitive figures ive started on and developed.

Thanks for your kind words and interest, I appreciate it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whatever I'm going to write next is just going to be a rehash of all the compliments you've received so far. I love the feel of each work you've posted- they're just amazing! The cging style is just too gorgeous to describe. I don't know how you're going to get better but I'm looking forward to your future posts as well in this thread!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to ilmenhin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to know Im not the only one who doesn't have a set process either. even though it might do me some good to figure one out. Im always just fudging it and going with what little instincts I have.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Andrews For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Breathtaking...

I'm always glad to see more of your work!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Rynox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Crypt!

I really really love your Art and I would love to see a lot of these painting achieved with your style.

Few of them are enough precise to be cool like this...I think about the 14, 10, 17, 16, 9, 1, 18 and 7.
    But you all the same could enhance them a little.

I must say about the great Conan, that you must be careful with his arms..they are two short and the sword is not really in a good position.
    Have you been inspired by some wolverine Art? His face reminds me Wolverine, which is an interesting idea!

I really do appreciate your horror things and busty girls!
    I am really crazy about 1, 2, 9, 16 and 20!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Riddick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great concepts...!!"

43. The Following User Says Thank You to direndra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, thanks a lot for showing these roughs.
    I just think that on the #16 the kid could try to escape in our direction (to see his face,etc. of course its just a suggestion ) really awesome work sir ! Thanks for the inspiration !

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really really nice stuff man! lighting, color, rendering, & drama are all done very well. My only nitpick is that some of the figures look a little cut and pasted down because the edges are a little hard edged and could be integrated into the background a bit more. I'm nitpicking, the work is very well done though!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Fleming For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... I just love the way you render skin... so smooth.. very impressive and inspirational!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Vorace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The sketches are great, and the work is awesome. I am sure I'm not the first to say this, but I'd love to see some process shots (from beginning to finish).

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Extollere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat, glad to see your still hard at work.
    Nice stuff.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ilmenhin View Post
    Whatever I'm going to write next is just going to be a rehash of all the compliments you've received so far. I love the feel of each work you've posted- they're just amazing! The cging style is just too gorgeous to describe. I don't know how you're going to get better but I'm looking forward to your future posts as well in this thread!
    Oh there is always room to improve, always. Just look at all the talent on these forums! Theres so much to learn.
    Im grateful for the compliments, I hope my future work continues to please!

Quote Originally Posted by danvancool View Post
    Nice to know Im not the only one who doesn't have a set process either. even though it might do me some good to figure one out. Im always just fudging it and going with what little instincts I have.
    The only thing I do consistantly is use a color base to sketch on and start laying down very basic blobs with a big brush in a dark color. After that ill slap in a little more color and then its anyones guess from there. I spend the majority of my time correcting mistakes made in the sketch and then tightening them up.
    I hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Rynox View Post
    Breathtaking...

I'm always glad to see more of your work!
    I appreciate that!
    Im self-conscious of the freelance work since I couldnt spend the 2-3 weeks on it like I do my personal work, but it came out ok. The sketches I wanted to post because Ive been fortunate enough to have others ask me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
    Hey Crypt!

I really really love your Art and I would love to see a lot of these painting achieved with your style.

Few of them are enough precise to be cool like this...I think about the 14, 10, 17, 16, 9, 1, 18 and 7.
    But you all the same could enhance them a little.

I must say about the great Conan, that you must be careful with his arms..they are two short and the sword is not really in a good position.
    Have you been inspired by some wolverine Art? His face reminds me Wolverine, which is an interesting idea!

I really do appreciate your horror things and busty girls!
    I am really crazy about 1, 2, 9, 16 and 20!
    Thank you Riddick!
    Yep, some of the anatomy is wonky in the sketches, thats something I fix as I go; so many of them have anatomical mistakes. For sketches im shooting more for a raw feel or mood as opposed to accuracy, that comes later down the road when I start to tighten things up.

Wolverine im not inspired by, really. Im more of a Man-Thing type guy.

Take care and thanks for the kind words!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6