How I got a Scholarship (updated with some cool links!)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How I got a Scholarship (updated with some cool links!)

Yesterday I received a letter from a foundation saying they would grant me a scholarship for two years worth of tuition at Angel Academy of Art, Florence (www.angelartschool.com ).
    First I felt like then I felt like .

Here's what I did to get there.

First, I searched for foundations that give grants to individuals. The whole concept is quite unknown in Germany where I live (I don't even know the german word for "grant"), but there are many, many small foundations that support individuals, artists, women, students, disabled... by giving them grants. I searched foundation directories (google that for finding foundations!) and a few hours later I had a list of 70 (!) foundations whose criteria I was pretty sure I met. Mostly I wasn't sure though. Many of these foundations had no website, and provided very little information at all, so I was taking gambles here and there.

Then, I made a huge package of stuff to send them. It consisted of copies of the following:
    - Cover letter with my letterhead
    - Three letters of recommendation from artists I know personally and who know me.
    - A letter explaining a) who I am, b) what I want to do, c) why I have to do it, and d) how I intend to do it and why I need the grant.
    - A CV with past exhibitions, publications and works in the fine art/illustration field
    - Graduation paper with my grades 'n stuff
    - Report card from the U.S. American school which I attended during an exchange year
    - From a doctor, a confirmation about my bilateral deafness
    - Registration certificate from Angel Academy of Art
    - Four photos of my paintings and drawings

Of this whole package I had made exactly 70 copies at a local copy shop. Altogether, I spent about 300 euros on copying & paper costs, packaging, and shipping these 70 applications to their respective foundations.
    Important: Finding out who your addressee at the foundation is, and spelling his or her name correctly!

A few days after sending those 70 big letters out, two came back as undeliverable. Slowly, the rejections began trickling in. So far, I have received about 40 rejection letters, for many many different reasons. (for example, “you don’t meet the criteria”, “we support only Catholics”, “we support only nonrepresentational art”, “we have no more money”, “we support only individuals from area XY”, “we don’t accept applications from individuals”, etc. etc. )

However, three foundations mailed me saying that they would consider my application in their next conference. Of these three, one has now decided to give me a grant.
    From all the others I haven’t heard so far.

The bottom line is... you just gotta try.

Also, it is extremely helpful if you are in any way “disadvantaged” or belong to an ethnic minority. Be sure to mention that! Personally, I am deaf since birth yet I spent an exchange year in the USA – things like that make people think, “wow, she must be courageous!”
    I am sure that there are at least some foundations in every country. And if you really live in a “poor” country with no foundations, you can mention that in your applications to foreign (U.S.?) foundations – there are many who support international students!

Furthermore, I had explained in the letter that I already had saved the tuition for my first year at Angel Academy of Art. (I’ve been saving since 2003 because I actually wanted to spend it on vacation in Japan, plus I earnt money with commissions, plus my grandparents gave me money on graduation). It shows that I am very committed to studying at A.A.A..
    If you are really committed and passionate about your goals, it will show! You will be able to express that in your letter of motivation. And from there, not much can go wrong.

That’s my experience, and I hope it was helpful... just let me know if you have any questions, or add your own experiences here! Perhaps we could even turn this into a general useful "How I got a Scholarship"-thread!!!

Last edited by Maidith; April 15th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is AWESOME Maidith! Congrats on the scholarship--your hard work was definitely rewarded.

And thanks so much for posting this info of how you did it. I'm sure many people will find this very helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats Maidith! thanks for sharing, I'm sure many could use this information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't see this one until now. Sure helpful, I myself dream about Florence hehe. Thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really great info here! Thanks for sharing! & congrats!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE:

Here is a very useful website - the blog of a scholarship juror!
    http://www.givemescholarships.com/
    He talks about what to do (and what NOT to do) when searching and applying for scholarships or grants.

Also, these directories contain mostly American opportunities but have some international student scholarships as well:
    http://www.scholarships.com/
    http://www.fastweb.com/

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Maidith. That was inspiring. I think I'll try to follow your advice. I really need a grant so I can go to a good school...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw man! this is like buying cintiq21ux all over again. anyways thanks! I wish I could do all of these. I dont know if I should write my birth defect(cleft palate...Don't Google it, it's pretty nasty. Google pictures are always super exaggerated) since I dont really feel comfortable using it to grant me a scholarship. I'll see what happens in the coming months though. Thanks for the inspiration and guild lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    Are there any Australian artists who have been accepted into Angel Academy of Art, as I have, who have found grants or scholarships to help pay the school fees? I have tried googling but can't find grants for Aussies to study in Italy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. You've inspired me to get up and start looking for grants! You see, I was going to attend my local college this last fall but I'm 'too rich to receive aid and too poor to pay for it'. I'm in this little rut but I've now realized I just haven't tried hard enough. Thanks.

Now to work that angle on my Native American great grandmother, heh.

Members who have read this thread: 49