Sheridan Information Please! - Page 139

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 139 of 267 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 189 239 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 7997
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    make sure they are able to see your structural work.. the thought process and understanding is more important than your ability to render.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anyone interested in buying an Out of print copy of TARZAN CHRONICLES (the disney TARZAN artbook) for 100$ or best offer? the book is incredibly well kept, excellent condition, goes on amazon.ca for 200-400 used.

email me at bradenpoirier@yahoo.com or PM if you're interested. LOCAL sheridan kids only baby.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
    First off, have you tried calling the registrar's office at Sheridan? They deal with this kind of stuff all the time and will probably be your best bet, advice-wise, atm.
    I think the fastest way to pay fees but not do it in person is to fax in the fee form (they should have emailed you a pdf), or do it over the phone. But, this is speculative. Call Sheridan Registrar, explain the situation, ask them what the best option is for you atm. They are very helpful and don't bite.
    You'll have to wait until Monday morning to call though. :<
    Though, it is way, way overdue, thank you so much for your reply! 8)

I got it all sorted out! Now, I just need to find a room, somewhere. D8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone I'm applying to animation 2010, and i have a few quick questions:

for storyboarding: all the examples online I've seen, they are all done on 4 panel storyboard template, where can i get those? i've done my story board just on just a 8.5 x 11 paper, will sheridan not accept my portfolio if its not done on the 4 panel storyboard?

also let me get this straight, i have to APPLY to ontariocolleges by feb 1, but do i HAVE to send in my portfolio by that date as well? or is it you apply first, and submit portfolio later like during march?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Visona View Post
    Hello everyone I'm applying to animation 2010, and i have a few quick questions:

for storyboarding: all the examples online I've seen, they are all done on 4 panel storyboard template, where can i get those? i've done my story board just on just a 8.5 x 11 paper, will sheridan not accept my portfolio if its not done on the 4 panel storyboard?

also let me get this straight, i have to APPLY to ontariocolleges by feb 1, but do i HAVE to send in my portfolio by that date as well? or is it you apply first, and submit portfolio later like during march?
    Hey, I applied for next year's animation too Maybe I can help a little...

For the storyboard, they will provide it for you. Usually after you've applied, they will send you a mail with your username and password so you can log in into their portal, where you can see you application status and all the requirements needed. That's where you'll get the storyboard (you download it) and all the applicant information.

As for the application, since I'm an international student, I don't apply through ontariocolleges, so I don't know much. But for me, I didn't submit the portfolio right away. I applied first, then will submit it later on the first week of March.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! I've been lurking around this Sheridan thread for ages, but I've never gathered enough courage to post something...

After both of my Illustration and Animation portfolios were utterly rejected in March 2009, I've decided to give in and have a go at the Art Fundamentals program. Now that my first semester is through, I'm actually glad that I was rejected and that I went for Fundies instead. This year, I was asked to be a volunteer (hourly pay!) in the Open House for the Fundies program, where I was able to draw from a professional model that dressed as a cowboy and a chef for 4 whole hours. I think Animation students need to wait until they're in third year to have this grand opportunity (I don't remember which year in Illustration). A few of my assignments were also displayed in the corridors among other talented students in our program, which was a neat experience. Looking at my works while walking back and forth from class to class made me realize how much work I still need to do!!

In my opinion, the program is as useless as you make it out to be. Don't depend on the curriculum and professors alone, ask them to review your portfolio and your assignments outside of the classroom! The true magic begins when you work the extra mile.

I still have another semester left and it only gets better from there! I can't wait! I have a good feeling for this year's portfolio review compared to my last one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How long does the language assessment have to be (if they assign a length at all), and how many topics did you have to choose from? I spoke with somebody in one of the offices, and it's apparently supposed to be really short? I have to do it tomorrow, but I also have very important plans on the same day, so I'm just trying to think of how much time I might need to write it.

And while I'm preeeeeeetty sure it was mentioned and discussed in the thread earlier, I don't remember the exact details, but I had a question about applying to Illustration, as well. I don't have University English, and I think somebody else was in the same boat, but was it possible to just take a test or a small course, or something to make up for it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my opinion, the program is as useless as you make it out to be. Don't depend on the curriculum and professors alone, ask them to review your portfolio and your assignments outside of the classroom! The true magic begins when you work the extra mile.
    cool,
    Be sure to keep that thought close even once you get into your program of choice, and during. It's a good philosophy.

I don't have University English, and I think somebody else was in the same boat, but was it possible to just take a test or a small course, or something to make up for it?
    Not that this is a very serious answer, but you you could take art fundamentals.

I'd suggest just contacting the registrar to see if there's anything you could do to make up for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm Serenade View Post
    And while I'm preeeeeeetty sure it was mentioned and discussed in the thread earlier, I don't remember the exact details, but I had a question about applying to Illustration, as well. I don't have University English, and I think somebody else was in the same boat, but was it possible to just take a test or a small course, or something to make up for it?
    I'm a little confused here, but I'm going to try to help you out anyway! I was in Nova Scotia for high school so we have different names for course denotations, forgive me if I'm totally off base here.

When you say 'university english' do you mean, a grade 12 high school english course? Or do you actually mean a general english 101 type course from a university? Because you don't need a university level english to get into illustration (you have to a university level in 1st year). You also are not required to take a language assessment to get into Illustration.

I hope that helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
    I'm a little confused here, but I'm going to try to help you out anyway! I was in Nova Scotia for high school so we have different names for course denotations, forgive me if I'm totally off base here.

When you say 'university english' do you mean, a grade 12 high school english course? Or do you actually mean a general english 101 type course from a university? Because you don't need a university level english to get into illustration (you have to a university level in 1st year). You also are not required to take a language assessment to get into Illustration.

I hope that helps.
    Oh right, I forgot about different provinces having different names, my bad. You're not off-base at all! Yes, I meant an English from a grade 12 course.

From the Admission Requirements page:

"Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, including these required courses:

* English, Grade 12 (ENG4U)"

The U designates University. What I have is ENG4C, for college level, but I'm going to be taking Art Fundamentals, so I was wondering if I could use that year in place of having the English. Hope that clears things up a bit. But yeah, I'll definitely talk to somebody in the offices. Thanks a lot! 8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Storyboard sheet in letter size

Visona:

for storyboarding: all the examples online I've seen, they are all done on 4 panel storyboard template, where can i get those?
    Hi everyone, I have the Sheridan storyboard sheet at my website, look for the button,
    with the pencil and the camera/ click/ first button top corner left FREEBEES.

I took one sheet and I it up to letter size,.....

I am doing my Portfolio here and it's great, http://portfolioworkshop.com/

Gerard Sternik and Vince Peets are the founders of this workshop
    and they are Registered Users in here, you can refer
    to me if they ask you !!

Sketchbook - . Show Real - . Commission me- Online Shop - .

*critique* advice* help full links* paint overs, highly appreciated !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone
    iam wondering how to register for the "mail in" option for portfolio assessment?
    the options i see are Feb 26, March 1,2,3,4 on the registration page, but i don't see "mail in" option : (

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I'm applying to 2010 Animation too

Just a few quick questions about storyboarding- the requirements say that we need to use a character that Sheridan provides to us. I remember that someone said that they would send us an e-mail with a link to the resources once we registered.

I've already registered more than a week ago and paid my fees, so when should I get this message?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They'll send you a letter in the mail with a username and password. You use that to log into Access Sheridan on their website, and that's where you download the portfolio requirements, including the provided characters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by xshay12000x View Post
    hi everyone
    iam wondering how to register for the "mail in" option for portfolio assessment?
    the options i see are Feb 26, March 1,2,3,4 on the registration page, but i don't see "mail in" option : (
    You're going into Animation, right? I'm taking illustration and the portfolio assessments days listed for me are on either March 5th or 6th.

Just making suuuuuuuure, thanks.

Good luck on portfolios, everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All hail I havent drawn anything all winter. Damn Artist block!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonique768 View Post
    All hail I havent drawn anything all winter. Damn Artist block!
    Woops, hey there my twin. I haven't drawn anything either I feel terrible... but at least I have some idea for my character right now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, has there been anyone who didn't get accepted into Art Fundies, even with all requirements? Do they usually have a full class? I had only applied for Illus. and Fundies and it'd be terrible if I got rejected by both programs..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Waidot, when I applied, the program was full, but this was a good 4-5 or so weeks ago, and there'd been movement since then. If you do, perchance, get wait-listed, they go by grades, regardless of how early or late you might have applied. But as for being flat out rejected? Everybody, and I do mean <i>everybody</i> that I've talked to says that everybody gets into Art Fundies. It isn't a competitive course, so I guess as long as you meet the requirements, you're in! 8D

That said, gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, first day, tomorrow! ;____; Nervous as all hell. And a bit irritated. I'm more than a little envious of everybody who gets to live in close proximity to the school. >_>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Also in need of some help!

Hey people,

Could anyone explain me the difference between the Mailed In Portfolio Assessment and the other one ? What about the dates indicated, what do they stand for? Thank you all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the difference is, drello, that you have the option of mailing it in if you live far enough away from the school. If you don't, you're S.O.L. and have to bring it in. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that the date for mailing it in is set later, likely to allow for a delivery time.

Aaaannnd, my own question is to those who have taken art fundies: how much cash did you guys drop on supplies for the year?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has probably already been asked but hell its 139 pages and I'm not going through them all tonight (I gots school tomorrow).

What are my chances of getting into illustration without fundamentals? I'm still gonna sign up for fundamentals (I'm in the process right now of signing up). Can someone who is in the course come by my sketchbook and give a little crit? The only problem with my sketchbook is that It doesn't have my traditional drawings/paintings or anything (which I think look better).

I am going to follow the guide for what they want in their portfolio (obviously).

Grrr... I'm to nervous for this.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to sign up for the courses today and they only have the 2009 course listed (obviously closed)>.> When is it possible to sign up for 2010?

I forgot to check my high school for sign up times, I know university is starting but I am unsure about college >.<

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lots of people have questions accumulating, so I'll do my best to answer. Keep in mind I am but one Illustration student, so take my answers with a grain of salt as I am of course subject to inaccuracies. :3

Quote Originally Posted by waidot View Post
    Hi, has there been anyone who didn't get accepted into Art Fundies, even with all requirements? Do they usually have a full class? I had only applied for Illus. and Fundies and it'd be terrible if I got rejected by both programs..

Everyone gets into fundies. I have never heard of someone not getting into it. It's really good income for Sheridan, so they will increase the number/size of classes to accommodate as many applicants as possible. If fundies is your Illustration backup, don't worry about not getting in both!

Quote Originally Posted by drello View Post
    Hey people,

Could anyone explain me the difference between the Mailed In Portfolio Assessment and the other one ? What about the dates indicated, what do they stand for? Thank you all!
    For people living near the school, you hand your portfolio over to the faculty in the morning, kill time for a few hours, then pick it up in the afternoon. Usually there are two or three days where the in-person assessments take place.
    Mail-in portfolios are for people who live too far from the school to personally hand it in. The deadline for mail-in portfolios is typically several days to a week before the hand-in deadline. This is so that the faculty can collect all the portfolios from the post, open up packages, get them organized, etc.
    Sheridan should have sent you an information package that clearly states the deadline for mail-ins and the deadlines for hand-ins. If they're didn't, give them a call at the registrar's and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Serenade View Post
    I think the difference is, drello, that you have the option of mailing it in if you live far enough away from the school. If you don't, you're S.O.L. and have to bring it in. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that the date for mailing it in is set later, likely to allow for a delivery time.

Mail-in date is always earlier than the hand-ins, not later. The faculty evaluates mail-ins and hand-ins at the same time, so the mail in deadline is early to make sure they are all collected/organized/removed from envelopes in time for the evaluations. So if you live outside the radius for reasonably bringing in your portfolio, make sure you take into account 1) your shortened deadline 2) an allowance of time for your portfolio to travel through the post.
    (Sorry, I'm not trying to call you our or correct you, just trying to minimized confusion and subsequently worried people!)

Quote Originally Posted by My57 View Post
    What are my chances of getting into illustration without fundamentals? I'm still gonna sign up for fundamentals (I'm in the process right now of signing up). Can someone who is in the course come by my sketchbook and give a little crit? The only problem with my sketchbook is that It doesn't have my traditional drawings/paintings or anything (which I think look better).

I am going to follow the guide for what they want in their portfolio (obviously).

Grrr... I'm to nervous for this.

There are lots of people who get into illustration and animation without going through fundamentals first. I got into Illustration right out of high school, I know of many people who did; it's not at all uncommon.
    Basically, if you keep up with studies, draw whenever you can, and put care into your portfolio, you increase your chances of getting in - whether or not you went through fundies.
    Don't be nervous! Don't be scared! Just remember, going to art school is a means to an end. It's a way to get better at art so you can get an awesome art job. Just keep working at your art, keep your passion alive, and whether you get into school now, later, you'll get what you want.
    I will stop by your sketchbook in a moment and give you some crits for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by REDiceT View Post
    When I was signing up for Sheridan's animation program, I didn't see an option for financial aid/student loans?

Anyways, I've paid the application fee already and waiting for the official portfolio package! When should I expect the package to come? A couple weeks?

Right now, I'm using the sample package they give on their website for practice, but I need to practice drawing Alex/Adam! (The cat or boy you're required to draw.)

Also, where can I get some cheap/possibly free? life drawing sessions/classes? I didn't take my school's life drawing classes because I originally intended to go as an English major, and made my major switch just about a month ago. (I can't switch courses anymore.)

Animation and Illustration are both eligible for student loan assistance (I assume that's what you're asking?)

Your package should come within a couple weeks, but Sheridan is notorious for not being on the ball with mailing stuff out - ESPECIALLY if you live outside Ontario. If you don't get it within a reasonable amount of time, call up the registrar's office and harass them.

If you live anywhere near Sheridan, you can pretty much drop in on life drawing sessions and nobody will check if you're a current student or not. If this is an option for you, send me a PM and I can let you know the times/rooms for life drawing.
    Otherwise, try checking local newspapers for independently funded groups (some cities have these), check online for groups, or call up any nearby art schools to see if they have open sessions for a small fee (most art schools will have pretty cheap open sessions).

I went to sign up for the courses today and they only have the 2009 course listed (obviously closed)>.> When is it possible to sign up for 2010?

I forgot to check my high school for sign up times, I know university is starting but I am unsure about college >.<

They should be up quite soon. Just call up the registrar's and ask them when they'll be up/when you can sign up. They probably know and just haven't updated the site yet. They are usually quite helpful and friendly, don't be afraid to call them about stuff like this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, this guy was a jerk to me and said I wouldn't be able to get into the illustration course on my first try. He didn't even see my portfolio and such. It was my moms friends son or something (who is in the course at the moment). So it made it sound like it was harder to get into then what it first appeared to be. Which is why I'm having a heart attack -_-"

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And he didn't even see your portfolio? What is his basis for that statement then? He's just being mean. Probably trying to make it sound harder than it is so his achievement of being in the course seems greater than it really is. I have run into a few people like that. Just don't listen to the naysayers :3 Don't worry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, this guy was a jerk to me and said I wouldn't be able to get into the illustration course on my first try. He didn't even see my portfolio and such. It was my moms friends son or something (who is in the course at the moment). So it made it sound like it was harder to get into then what it first appeared to be. Which is why I'm having a heart attack -_-"
    Don't be stressed.
    I went through art fundamentals and then graduated from the illustration program.

I remember being in your shoes and being very nervous about getting in... Everyday I would eat and sleep being accepted to sheridan -- whether I was actively practicing or not I was still thinking about it. I thought about it all the time. Not being accepted terrified me.
    I analyzed the requirements over and over again and the reported statistics for how many portfolios are submitted vs seats in the program I found (at the time was very unsettling)

Now that I'm graduated and have been working in the industry for over a year and a half (I do matte painting and concept art for film)I can think about things concerning art school with more of a clear head.

I'm glad I took fundies. At the time I saw it as a punishment for not being good enough for illustration to take me (although I was also applying the double cohort year)
    I was able to go to life-drawing a lot, pick up an amazing drawing tutor in the second semester, and practice in a setting that wasn't as high-pressure as the illustration program itself. Less assignments meant I could spend more time going to extra-life drawing at night -- sometimes going to two sessions in a row. Great fun.
    There's.... less time (somewhat) when actually in the degree program to do those things.... although you can still manage to go a lot -- and should.

I found out later had it not been for the higher pressures of the double cohort year my initially rejected portfolio score *could* have been good enough to squeeze me through in a normal application season. I'm happy it didn't.

Art school went by really fast otherwise -- in certain ways I miss it. I definitely don't regret taking all five years. I think I'm a much better for it.

Don't worry about what your friend's mom's gardener's mailman's neighbor thinks whether you can get in on a first try or not. Lots of students do.
    People like the guy you mention are generally full of crap -- you'll encounter his kind again when you aspire to the industry and people try to tell you where you can and can't get a job.
    I have a job where lots of people told me an 'illustrator' couldn't get one.

I'll give you the advice I was given when I was really stressed about the portfolio. While in fundies back in 2003 I randomly ran into an illustration prof the beginning of my christmas break while dropping off some homework assignments.
    I was distressed that I didn't have the talent or skill to get in.

He told me to get a sketchbook and fill it with drawings from observation -- hands and feet he emphasized because lots of students try to avoid them. They're hard to draw. Show competent drawings... practice the drawing test itself in the sketchbook.

You can tell the sketchbook is important to the requirements because on the sheet of paper itself it's mentioned at least three times... it's also the only re-occurring piece aside from the drawing test that appears under both portfolio options.

Another illustration teacher I spoke to later that year told me it's very easy to get accepted to the program on the account that so many potential students submit the wrong things in the portfolio -- very few people actually follow the instructions.
    It's hilarious to wait in line on the evaluation day. The assignment says not to mount artwork in heavy metal/glass frames, and they are in line with the big pieces of metal and glass poking their way out of tiny portfolios.
    They say 'no anime' but having seen circles of students sitting around after they pick up their portfolio and showing each other their stuff it's evident that lots of them think they know better -- plus plenty of other crazy rule breakers that I forget at this time of night.

I applied and got accepted while many of my friends did not. I submitted a portfolio of drawings -- the ones they asked for, a sketchbook full of more drawings, my best life-drawing, and the best I could do painting wise.

The rejected submitted graphic design homework, tattoo designs, didn't bother including a sketchbook, graffitti, anime, etc. and no life-drawing.

I looked at your sketchbook and I don't think I can answer whether you have the "skill" or not to be accepted. That's no insult towards you (*I* think you have nice drawings ), but the final decision gets made by whatever current faculty happens to look at your portfolio.
    All you really have to go on is the requirements -- just do your best to follow them, and probably have a pretty good expectation that plenty of arrogant teens and twenty-somethings will be submitting "portfolios" without following them. Just look for the big metal frames on portfolio day.

I'd drop the digital stuff all together until you hand in your portfolio. They really aren't that interested in seeing it. Use traditional media from here on out... "scratch and sniff"
    It's nice that you know how to use a tablet going into the program though.
    Draw people from life in everyday settings... I saw a picture of your hand when I skimmed your book -- draw more of those... draw your parents from life or your siblings or your dog.... your dog on the couch... couch without dog... draw some scissors, go look for perpective lines out in the real world.

Anyways, hope that helped. There's really no point in being *too* stressed. Fundies is great. It's not a punishment.

The reqs for the illustration program might be challenging stuff, but you'll be a better artist for doing them not matter what happens with your application. That's what really matters.
    Art school goes by so fast anyways... If I could go back in time and shorten it to 3 or 4 years, I really wouldn't.

Good luck!

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kennygeeze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, that's a long post there.

I know what ya mean, It's more like this for me: I think I can get in but in the back of my head I have nails going through it from that one guy that pissed me off D:

I was already planning on dropping the digital stuff as well! I read through the samples and plan on doing what they ask and I'm not going to risk losing points over digital. Plus I don't really like my digital drawings that much anyways The line work is bad and the only thing I find it useful for is practising colours since I can't paint everyday.

I also like drawing hands and feet (not so much feet) and planned on doing a whole page dedicated to hand drawings! I love looking at my hand for some reason, the form and shape is really interesting compared to other still life's.

By the way for my still life people that I drew, I made them have a platform underneath them to make them look grounded rather then sitting/standing in mid air. I can't draw chairs very well and they mostly look bad so will that hurt me a little? I think I can add in a chair to replace the block but I guess that would be cheating to >.>

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can kinda help with your 5 personal works.

According to Ryn they LOVE still life. So more still life the better. They also do not like fantasy/sci-fi/horror/anime, etc. It says on the sample portfolio requirements:

http://www.sheridanc.on.ca/Programs%...app_pbaai.ashx

Try to be original with your pieces like surrealism or something to that extent.

Ryn sent me a link of her old portfolio she used to get in. Some of the images don't work but you can get the idea:

http://lynryn.blogspot.com/2007_01_01_archive.html

- Is that slightly useful?

- No idea about the museum thing.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about still life with different mediums Like Ink...something else....something else...By that I mean do one still life in ink, another in acrylic another in oils or watercolours. Easy and shows you can work in different mediums.

I got to start working on my other still life projects now...I finished my third still life person and drew my brother playing his DS, which killed my back because I had to get into this weird position for the view i wanted -__-" Tis why still life can be harmful...

Last edited by My57; January 17th, 2010 at 12:13 PM.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 139 of 267 FirstFirst ... 39 89 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 189 239 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19