Following
    Good luck!

keep us posted

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks and good luck to you too.

Here's some of my stuff at my own thread.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...threadid=18067

Kenny: I saw your thread and I really like your figure drawings, especially the gesture ones, they flow so nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, good so far.

I posted some of mine in my sketch thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Redmimic.

I'll check your thread out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey endregan, I saw your sketch thread and the progression of your self portraits are really intersting. Personally I can't stand staring at myself in the mirror for that long and I've only drawn myself a few times before (my neck gets really tired because I never have a good spot to put the mirror ).

Just gonna answer that question from my other thread, I am taking option A. The first year I did it I just followed B and It worked out all right but I did not like half the work. This year I am mostly doing what I want but keeping it close to B like the sheets suggest. I took the art fundamentals course at georgian instead of the one at sheridan because of the distance. If I don't get into what I want this year I am just gonna go into the graphic design course there.

I didn't read most of the posts in your thread (its long and there are more pictures to look at instead ) but I did skim through and noticed you had an appointment at OCAD. I was wondering what that was for (portfolio interview?) because I applied there and I haven't heard anything from them yet except that stupid University application sheet which came 2 weeks or so after I submitted my application.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that sounds good. 3 years sounds like a long time! About the self portraits, I know what you mean, but if you don't look in the mirror and see just shapes then you are seeing yourself and maybe it is not what you want to see. or you feel you are tired of looking at you, because you know you, right ? Just keep doing it !@ I have barely started

OCAD will send you something in the mail soon. If not call ocad. My appointment is next week from tuesday! If you havent gotten anything then you should call definitely. It is a great school, dont miss out on that option.

It is more open for the ocad portfolio. It is more like 15 pieces, choose, but suggest a sketchbook, still lifes, diff medias etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok thanks. I'm kinda ticked off at this university application service, I pay 135 bucks and they may have screwed me, where as in college, I paid about half that and signed up for 2 programs (oh and of course it was nice to actually recieve something in the mail from the schools I applied to, think that's too much to ask for 135 dollars?).

I see what you mean about the self portraits, but my lack of enthusiasm for doing them is almost all related to the fact it always hurts my neck because I always pick a strange way to draw myself.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just draw your head face on. theres no way you will put your head in an uncomfortable position and draw or paint it, it hurts and your body tells you because it is not natural.

just draw your head comfortably!

Maybe you submitted late in the deadline. You might not get it until after the portfolio times ! the last possibly day is february the 15th I believe ?

Your best bet is to call the places you applied to to confirm and see what appointments you have...best that over waiting for the mail!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well today I tried to get a hold of them but all I get in a message machine referring me to other extentions that also give me a message (its 1 : 30 pm here). I looked around at the website and I guess I'm screwed unless they have some sorta later date for some interviews. I don't even have my stuff for sheridan ready. What a great way to spend 135 bucks.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm dont give up, try again!

Good lucK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hooray! I'm not screwed, and I don't have to do the interview next week. I applied to the advanced standing illustration program and they have a different interview period. The letters should be sent in a few weeks.

So relieved.

*Snap!*

"An object at rest cannot be stopped!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good news!

off to OCAD tomorrow.

mailed my sheridan portfolio in

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I still have to scan in the hands i submitted... but this will do for now!

Ocad portfolio

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&goto=lastpost

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya...I just finished my portfolio for the BA in Animation program for Sheridan. They're pretty specific about what they want to see that's for sure...they sent me a list of exactly what they wanted to see in the portfolio and i'm bringing it in tomorrow morning. I'd love to throw some advice your way but I'm pretty much in the same boat as you....applying and hoping not to be rejected, lol.

well....this is my first post on the site, not a lot to say besides that! but if any of you want to check out a few of the things I've sent in to show Sheridan for my personal portfolio...there are some pencil drawings of mine on my site - www.freewebs.com/jeffdalley/myart.htm

Good luck to all who apply, hope to see you at Sheridan!

"Life is about making running changes. You can't stop to fix things. You have to mend the sail while you're still at sea." - JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey welcome to the site, you're pencil drawings are so soft looking. Do you blend them a lot or just do it naturally. Nice texture on that guys jeans in the digital picture (i think its digital).

One more drawing and I'm done! Guess I better get back to work, I have to drive to Oakville this Saturday.

*Snap!*

"An object at rest cannot be stopped!" - The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, thanks...yeh I'm not very good with sketchy styles of life drawing *a flaw?* so I usually spend a long time making sure everything looks clean and smooth in my drawings, ones I want to finish anyway. And yeh that character with the jeans was done in photoshop, just a quickie (the texture was just noise - appropriately coloured and whatnot, heh)

Thanks! (Off to Sheridan today...wish me luck...)

"Life is about making running changes. You can't stop to fix things. You have to mend the sail while you're still at sea." - JM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah!

Good luck guys!

tell us how it went

Acceptance letters are sent Mid-March I believe.

yay

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well...I went to Sheridan. Fun times and LOTS of hott girls, haha....anyways thats besides the point. It was great...turned in my portfolio, which was a wierd process...I went to pay for it on one end of the building...ended up walking half way around the campus before finding the portfolio submission room...then I find out we had to drop it off (it was 10:00 in the morning then), then pick it up at 4:00..which was a bit of a pain in the ass, not to mention a pretty wierd way of doing things; I have no idea how they managed to look at a few hundred portfolios in like 6 hours. At any rate, afterwards I attended a huge information session where everyone who brought a portfolio had gathered to ask questions. The lady leading the session seemed to try and sell us the whole time on the idea that its an almost essential idea to take first year Art Fundamentals in order to be in good stead for acceptance to the animation program... she basically told us that there wasn't a great chance many people straight out of highschool would get into the Animation program. This kinda bugged me because I was pretty much convinced she was just trying to sell the fundies program to us all . anyways...There was one student who attended the information session who was halfway through his first year in the Animation program, he told us all what it was like and how heavy the workload is, heh. Then he went on to discuss the cost of attending the program first year while living on campus...6 grand for tuition, then about half that (3000 or so) on personal Art supplies for the year, hundreds for books; and he said that he worked out his budget to allow him the 16-18 thousand he would end up spending that year while at Sheridan on all the above. So for those of you who thought tuition there wasn't that high...piece of cake, well depending on how far away you live, you'll probably end up spending that much if not more. I'm sure some of you expected that, but for me it was a surprise to learn how much you could expect to spend like that. Anyways...all and all, great place to visit and I'm hoping to be spending 4 years or so there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The lady leading the session seemed to try and sell us the whole time on the idea that its an almost essential idea to take first year Art Fundamentals in order to be in good stead for acceptance to the animation program... she basically told us that there wasn't a great chance many people straight out of highschool would get into the Animation program. This kinda bugged me because I was pretty much convinced she was just trying to sell the fundies program to us all .
    That's pretty much accurate, actually. Highschools don't have the resources for the most part to prepare their kids for the level that the animation/ illustration programs are looking for.
    Most highschools don't have life-drawing/life-painting and there is a huge disadvantage right there.
    She is telling the truth. When animation or illustration accepts around 100 students each for their programs only around 25 of those people are highschool students. What they don't tell you is almost all of those 25 went to magnet schools... basically art-oriented highschools. --- this from an illustration proffessor.

Don't think of fundies as some crap program where all the newbies in art get dumped. I'm currently a student in that program and there is alot of extremely tough competition. It is difficult to do well. It is also very difficult to atttend all my classes, complete the homework, and attend 3 hours worth of life-drawing a night.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ocad has 7 hours a week of life drawing I was told.

Is this not enough? Are there extra hours you can take ?

I would take all extra classes if I could, but I assume it costs money hah.

how many hours are at sheridan?

Thats agreed about highschool. Most dont teach life drawing...

but I had some intruction. Wed get fellow students, with their clothes on of course, to pose for gesture and some longer poses.

it helped a lot, I mean without some direction I wouldve been lost. If you really work hard and find a local life drawing course though I assume you have a better chance of entering animation at sheridan.

I would still try my best. The fundies is probably the best way to go.

Now only thing is...Ocad or sheridan?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decisions decisions

kenny, how many fundies students do they actually take in 100?

Man with a situation such as it is for acceptance into illustration/animation, they best make room since that would put WAY to much competition to get into 1 yr certificate program.

draw, draw, erase, repeat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ocad has 7 hours a week of life drawing I was told.
    For art fundamentals students this is how the llife-drawing schedule was set up this year.
    We have a drawing class with an instructor once every week. All of our classes are weekly.
    Then there is "extra life" where it's just the models, optional attendance for students, and it works in 3 hour sessions.
    There's a life-drawing session on Monday at 2:00, Tuesday at 3:00, Wednesday at 3:00, thursday at 6:00, and none friday.
    There are alsop "open lifedrawing" for all students and they run periodically through the week as well... they're not restricted by program.
    Animation and illustration students have their own life-drawing. I think it's more often than fundies... like every night and even on saturday. Sometimes if you're lucky you can sneak into theirs.

So even if you just go to the fundies life-drawing all week... that's still more than OCAD.
    Something to think about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by ::EPIC::
    Decisions decisions

kenny, how many fundies students do they actually take in 100?

Man with a situation such as it is for acceptance into illustration/animation, they best make room since that would put WAY to much competition to get into 1 yr certificate program.
    I'm not sure of the exact numbers of how many fundamentals students they take... I'm sure it changes every year.
    But basically with life-drawing and life-painting in their portfolios their only real competition is people from other art courses and other fundies students... something my painting teacher said.

Art fundamentals usually starts out every year with 600 kids in the program... and then there's the drops.... and there are ALOT of drops. It's still a tough course.
    My class in particular was split up because so many kids dropped out.

I don't know how many are left now.. but I remember in september on the first day the teacher asked everyone what they wanted to get into next year... and everyone was like... "Animation" "animation" "animation" "animation", etc etc.

The class I'm in right now only has about 5 people out of 25 aspiring to get into animation /illustration or anything like that.

It's still highly competitive.

Forgive me if I didn't answer your question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nope i think that covered it lol, thanks man!

(grinds teeth) still waiting on word from Sheridan to see if i get in....

hey if u have time check out some let me phrase this right..."sketches" in another thread...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...threadid=19127

draw, draw, erase, repeat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm posting this message from the sheridan lobby kinda place, need to kill some time because i forgot to bring a book or something to draw on. I have another 3 hours before I can pick up my portfolio. Maybe i'll go on that tour in a little while.

This year i didn't have to wait forever to pay my fee and the lineup wasn't that bad.

You are right about all the hot girls here, its pretty nice everywhere you look . Maybe some people who will be readin this now are here somewhere in this hall way. This console is wierd to type on though.

The information session i went to was done by some guy and I learned they are accepting more people this year compared to the last few ones, about 60 to put it up to 180 people. Around 800 or so applied.

I hate the drive here so IF i get in I gotta find somewhere that I can either walk or take the bus.

Cya later.

*Snap!*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah nice mimic. Cross our fingers eh

I have to find a place either. Once i recieve letters of acceptance then I will have to choose what and where, and then figure out where im going to live and all that money business .

have a good weekend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh, well, my less than satisfactory portfolio submission has just arrived in Sheridan today....they've extended the dateline to today 12 march 04 so I think it will be a while before you guys get any replies from Sheridan.

Submitting my OCAD portfolio next week. Working on it now.

Hope you guys will keep everyone updated. Although I am unsure if I'll get in eventually (to either schools) but should I get there, it'd be great to meet you folks.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck!

I thought OCAD was done with portfolios. I think I hear back from them sometime this month, but well see haha.

They extended it? thats strange, but youre lucky then !

You are all the way in Singapore?!

geez thats a bit away. hope you get in to where you want to go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah you guys shouldn't be sweating as much as people the last few years, even as much as i was last year. Red Mimic is right, there's talk of them letting in 180 students next year. Now at first you may think that means there's a much better chance of you getting in, and that's true! Still, it's a horrible idea.

Hell, this year, I was 1 of 120 that made it in. That number is higher than the years before, and it shows by how the year is going. Teachers are getting angry, many have too many students to take care of and are finding it hard to get all the marking done. A new animation teacher was hired to take care of one of the classes this semester because our main one couldn't handle the load. The first year students have one main animation room with I'm guessing about 30-40 desks in it. It is shared amongst all 4 of the classes this year. After hours, it is always packed and often it's hard to find a seat when the animation deadlines are near. During the day, the room is booked all week with classes, and some of our classes (my storyboarding class, for example) takes place is small cramped classrooms nearby with normal tables and chairs because we couldn't find time to have our class in the main room. We have it pretty bad...with 120 students... If they don't do some serious renovations over the summer (there has been talk over it but I'm sure of what they're thinking of doing) I don't even want to THINK what it will be like for 180 students. That many simply can't share that one small room, its too much.

Next year doesn't look good for us either unless some serious renovations occur. Second year students are supposed to get their own desk, and right now it's fine for the rest of the classical animation students... the room is just right for their size. But we have 120 students...

Then there is the computer classes (which I've sort of given up on because the teacher is kind of a joke). We're stuffed in the area the graduate computer animation program has their classes in and don't have use of the area outside of our classes. Thankfully this semester another lab was made open for us to work on maya assignments but honestly it's quite small and will not fit both the 120 students and next years 180! This program needs it's own computer animation area, because for the next 3 years a new year of students will be needing computers as well as us.

I'm also fearing the teachers next year. I've hear rumors of them only hiring people with degrees (sadly - it's a degree program now). But does that mean our current teachers without degrees (quite a few of them) wont have jobs? Our life drawing teacher, Mark Thurman, from what I've been told doesn't have a degree. Yet he has some of the finest life drawings I've seen. His knowledge of anatomy is insane and he's one of our best teachers. He really shouldn't be teaching a degree program.

Sorry to sound grumpy guys, but I just want to let you know what you may be getting into. They were VERY unprepared for this new BA program, and I think at least another year could have gone by until they implemented it. It just makes me laugh to think they'll be letting in an additional 60 students next year when we're already having so many problems with 120. I mean honestly, who's running this thing!? (actually right now we don't have a program coordinator running things, our first one quit before the end of the first semester! lol)

But who knows, maybe they'll get their act together over the summer, improve the facilities and and actually have an organized program? God i hope so!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah good point that is some interesting info!

i agree, should be more organized but hey it happens.

I am not sure, even if I get into illustration, if I will accept it.

Reasons are perhaps that I need more life drawing behind my belt or general experience. How much do you need to be able to do your best in illustration?

animation sounds good too.

too crowded? i would have never thought...geez thats bad news!

Page 3 of 267 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 28