Sheridan Information Please! - Page 256
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 256 of 267 FirstFirst ... 156 206 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 ... LastLast
Results 7,651 to 7,680 of 7997
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylion View Post
    okayla, an international on deviantart was wondering how to request a scoresheet, can you explain it?
    Two people told me it would be sent to international students automatically. I asked about requesting with the main number, and I also asked international number!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by atrain View Post
    Finally joining in. Haven't come to terms with my score/wait listing yet, but here I am.

I'm foxery's friend (wooh)... She said my portfolio was amazing, I don't think it's THAT amazing, but I think it deserves a higher score than what it received.

I'm on the waiting list... At the bottom with a 2.95, but I can;t think of any justifications for my low mark.

Here's my portfolio (minus the life drawings and original art because they were too big and I'm not too concerned with the scores I got for them) and my score sheet. Please give me some justifications for the 2s and lack of 4s!

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...tfolio%202012/

Should I get it appealed?
    I know I have a pretty bad scoresheet, but my skill level is decent enough so that I can articulate what I can tell is off, so here are my thoughts:

I think for the household drawings I can see what got you a two in perspective and composition, though I'm not sure about that 2 in line quality, so that could possibly be disputed.

Perspective: I'd imagine it's mostly the tissue box. The lines towards the part further away from the view should converge, not diverge like you depicted it. In addition, watch the stem of the funnel in the after drawing, it's not curved enough and gives off the impression that the top is oval rather than circular as depicted in the before drawing.

Composition: The composition is awkwardly framed... you should be zoom out a bit because the eye falls right off of the page where objects are cut off in an odd way, making it awkward to look at composition. Basically, avoid having things go off the page in the future.

For the storyboard, the 2 in perspective was likely because it's hard to figure out the depth. It's hard to tell if he is on a beach or on a sand dune or and island. Assuming he's on a beach by the sea, the scale between Doug and how far away the shore doesn't change whether we zoom in on the hole or not so it doesn't depict the perspective well.

For the animal drawings I'm not 100% sure why you got straight 2s but I think you need to show your structure, or how you approached building up your animals like you did in the rest of your drawings. Also, ground the animals by drawing in some semblance of a ground such as dirt or horizon lines because they feel like they're floating in space, explaining the 2 in perspective.

My thoughts on the 2s. I think you did pretty well in general though! $50 is quite a bit and you're already on the waitlist but an appeal could probably bump it up a little bit so that you're not on the bottom, so it's just up to you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips.

For the Household object drawing, as the box gets further, it does get smaller (as measured with a ruler) so maybe it just wasn't enough... Also, my scanner cut off the edges, there's at least about 1 cm from the edge of the page for everything drawn on it.

For the Story board, I hate the background... I know it's bad. The one out of like.. 3 twos that I think are justifiable. -I hate my story board-

And for everything in the folder (in my portfolio) I have blue structure lines, but its the pencil that doesn't scan very well. SO they're there, but you can't see them. (I tried as best as I could to get them to show up, but it destroyed the pencil lines D: )

I also feel that I should have gotten some more 4s... NicNak got all fours on her character (which is awesome by the way ) and I don't think mine is that much worse than hers. Very different, yes, but not deserving of practically all 3s. :/

I just want to know my chances of getting off the waitlist... Do you think they'd mark me lower if I appealed?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by atrain View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

For the Household object drawing, as the box gets further, it does get smaller (as measured with a ruler) so maybe it just wasn't enough... Also, my scanner cut off the edges, there's at least about 1 cm from the edge of the page for everything drawn on it.

For the Story board, I hate the background... I know it's bad. The one out of like.. 3 twos that I think are justifiable. -I hate my story board-

And for everything in the folder (in my portfolio) I have blue structure lines, but its the pencil that doesn't scan very well. SO they're there, but you can't see them. (I tried as best as I could to get them to show up, but it destroyed the pencil lines D: )

I also feel that I should have gotten some more 4s... NicNak got all fours on her character (which is awesome by the way ) and I don't think mine is that much worse than hers. Very different, yes, but not deserving of practically all 3s. :/

I just want to know my chances of getting off the waitlist... Do you think they'd mark me lower if I appealed?
    i completely understand how you feel. i myself have spent the past 4 days dealing with feelings of bitterness and resentment, to the point where i'm not sure i want to do another portfolio for next year. now, my portfolio isn't as good as yours and i probably shouldn't have gotten in, but i certainly deserved better than 2.09, especially looking at some of the portfolios that got in (really, am i THAT MUCH worse?).

btw your portfolio is very good. you should certainly appeal. don't worry about your score being lower, i think you getting a 2.95 was a worst case scenario.

Last edited by meekrab; April 3rd, 2012 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... For anyone else who's on Illustration's waiting list (if there's anybody out there lurking) they aren't ranking us till mid May. I know it's bull, but they're saying no sooner than that and they don't say why they take that long to do it (considering it should be something like 60 kids being ranked solely on grades and score...I wouldn't think that would be such a huge hassle). Though...they could be bs-ing some more about the time since they also gave out 100000 different dates to people about when score sheets, admissions, etc would be handed out.

So yep. Lots more waiting for us.

Is it the same for animation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Atrain
    For your Household objects, I can see I think one of the reasons for your 2s. In your before objects, I think on the bottom right of your tissue box the angle seems too extreme, and it makes the perspective of that box look off. It SHOULD get smaller, but I think it looks too small. In the after, there is something off about the bottom of the bottle I can't put my thumb on either, and again, there's something a little off about the angle on the box this time on the long lower side. I understand what you mean about the blue line, but I don't think you had enough variation in line like it seems they like to see.

As for the characters, I must admit I've seen stronger characters among the admitted apps. I've seen a LOT of human, especially female, characters and I think one of the reason's Niki's probably shined is because I don't see a lot of animals in general and I think hers was quite good. It's harder to shine with a young girl character when so many I saw were young girls, including my own.

Also Umbrella, I made an angry noise at your post. Also I hope it's not 60 of us, is it based on grades and things and not just your score? I was hoping it was 20 national and 20 (10) international?, maybe. I'm so bewildered, and super annoyed. Boo, I'm just gonna plan for fundies and maybe be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @okayla I know right! I was all stressed out and freaking out over the weekend (soo much crying XD) because I just didn't know what was going on. When I went to the school and asked the professors they told me they don't know how the wait list works and they couldn't give me any answers. So today me and my mom wanted to know from them exactly how it worked...all we got were excuses and time estimates.

At the seminar the prof said they send offers/wait list around 160 kids. So since only 100 would be sent offers, that leaves the 60 on the wait list (I would imagine).

The ranking system (for illustration) as far as I know is this:

Compare all test scores. Group together all people who got the same test scores and then rank them on their grades (making on 75 more eligible than another 75). After that they look at the kids who ranked lower on the acceptable score and put them on the wait list, leaving us in limbo. So if there's a particularly strong year, they can make the cut off for admissions whatever they want it to be (like a 75 instead of 66, for example). So the kids who were above the bar before they made the "acceptability" rate higher get wait listed.

It's so complicated and frustrating. I don't know if it's worth it for me to do fundies... I'll just wait it out until I get my scores back and if they're particularly low I'll appeal it to try and get higher on the list if I'm not already. It's all so confusing and unclear, so we're kinda stuck in art school purgatory for awhile

/wait list info rant XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Umbrella - 60 is a lot higher than I thought, and I'm not super keen on my chances then. I thought it was closer to 20 or 30, but maybe that's only for animation? So animation has 150 (formerly 125) people, and illustration has 100? Maybe that 60 is 30 international waitlist and 30 national? Or -- something?

I don't know if I can appeal, since I think they have my portfolio and I put originals in there because I couldn't print them to a quality I liked. *shrug* I'll definitely do fundies, but it's frustrating to me because Illustration is a potential 10k more and I need to know if I should be planning for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by okayla View Post
    Niki, your scores are so close that I don't think it's worth appealing - I think you're almost guaranteed to get in with such a close mark. You must be very high up on the list with such a very close score! I don't think I'd risk a potential lowering of score with yours.

I really want illustration now that I'm on the waitlist, haha, it's funny I was iffy before but now I'm all; "YEAH ILLUSTRATION." It's good to know I'll get a call or something (I believe international said the same thing re: waitlists in general) and sooner rather than later. I hope a lot of international students who got into animation also applied to illustration, or otherwise turn down the program so I can get in. Bleh!
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too xD Thanks so much (:
    Gah, I hope you get in too! It'd be awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kaylion! - I'm going to finish my final year in Visual Merchandising Arts and graduate, and try again next year for animation! ><!!~

Thanks Foxery!

I just got my score sheet!

I got a score of 2.24 @_@
    I got completely floored on layout...
    I'm sad that my countless redos for line quality in my character got me a solid 2..

my previous portfolio scored higher than this.... (2.26)

Do you guys think it's justified?...

My portfolio :
    Miek's portfolio

Last edited by Miek; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Miek View Post

My portfolio :
    Miek's portfolio
    I truly don't understand how you got that mark. I've seen other portfolios accepted that yours should beat, (including mine, i much prefer your life drawings over mine! And I like your character, including the structure) :c

Out of curiosity, is that how you submitted the rotation ? (fully rendered like that or is it like the action poses) because that would be the only thing I would have to nag at. But definitely unfair scoring.. you should definitely appeal, especially considering you could write them a letter explaining your efforts.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Teatime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @okayla That's possible... They didn't include internationals in the seminar; which is weird. So that would leave 35 wait listed people instead? Well, either way...it might be near 2 months before we find out. Like, how do you even know if you need to appeal if you don't know where you are on the list, you know? And I think if they already have your portfolio you could just send them your appeal letter since you aren't aloud to change anything anyways. It's worth a shot, I guess. I might do the same depending on scores. I'll ask them if they know how many people are wait listed.

@miek I think you should work more on making polished, finished works. Demonstrating that you can do that is a pretty big advantage too since they count for a lot. I still think it's pretty unfair that you didn't get in; but keep practicing I guess It's tough

14. The Following User Says Thank You to opposite_umbrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Miss Teatime , and opposite_umbrella!

I sent my character rotation in horizontally so it was easy for them to flip through from my animal drawings -> hand drawings -> character rotation -> character expression -> action poses, until it went back to vertical with storyboard.

It's really strange... I actually used the same composition for my object drawings and got a 2 last year, now with better line quality and cleanliness I received a 1... My old room drawing was really similar to this one, but once again bad line quality... except I scored lower (1).

Last edited by Miek; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiiino View Post
    Other than the fact that I didn't put alot of effort into my portfolio, I think I did very well, except when it came to life drawings (scored all 2's) which I'm assuming they look for a specific way in executing them and I didn't take any classes at all... so I think it's stupid of them to reject me when everything else in my portfolio scored 3's. Putting an end to this rant, I'm curious to speak with the professors about my portfolio, but in fear of driving 40 km out only to have them tell me they don't look them over would suck.. So is there a specific way in getting them to look mine over and tell me what they're looking for? I'm taking fundies september as much I'd hate to, and would at least like to get in next year. If you have any other wisdom to bestow upon me, it would be much appreciated J.Cui, thanks for reading this short story.
    Hello! I don't know how exactly to get in touch with the professors (I don't go to Sheridan). D: Miek goes to Sheridan right now, I think, so it's easy for him. If you can get yourself over there, I don't think it should be too hard. All professors should have office hours especially dedicated to students looking for help. Try catching them during that time and they'd be less likely to turn you away.

If you can't get to them, I'm sure the people on this board will be happy to give you some input when you've uploaded your portfolio. I just want to say now that life drawing is VERY important. If that is a weak area for you, it may be a good thing that you weren't accepted right away. Life drawing is the foundation for drawing all people, even cartoons. That is the first thing to master before moving on to stylization. You will fall behind in EVERYTHING if your life drawing is weak. Think about it this way: you have a whole year to improve this area while getting better in all the other categories. If you go in now with weak life drawing skills, you have trouble with everything else too. It's much better to be well-prepared and start late than to get in now and struggle through it. That's why I didn't apply before this year. I knew I would have trouble even if I got in. With the amount of stuff you're learning about painting and animation, I didn't want to be worrying too much about just getting a figure down properly on top of that!

Don't think about it as a rejection. Breathe a sigh of relief that you won't end up bumbling through the program. You will be better prepared when you do get in.

Last edited by J. Cui; April 2nd, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to J. Cui For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still curious to see whats in that perfect 4 portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kaylion! - I'm going to finish my final year in Visual Merchandising Arts and graduate, and try again next year for animation! ><!!~

My portfolio :
    Miek's portfolio
    D: oh wow, that's awful to hear...it sucks that your score somehow went down, even after so much work

Wow, that layout section really did hurt you x.x I hope you don't mind if I offer some critiques/speculation as to why they assigned you those marks...

while line quality's important it's not the only thing you should focus on. I'm not sure what your scoresheets from previous years read exactly but it sounds like you probably should have played around more with the composition of your household objects, as well as--and especially--with the composition of your room, instead of sticking with ones similar to your last attempt. From the angle we see in the room, there is not much depth as it's about eye-level with the counter and almost straight-on with most of the cupboards. On the second view the perspective isn't bad but it only shows off a tiny corner of the room--it doesn't feel so much like a room drawing.

Line weight is an important part of line quality--make sure you are thickening lines where it makes sense and doesn't throw off the perspective.

For the still-life, the lines of the box seem wonky and too steeply in perspective, while the top of the cone shape is also a bit lopsided. The structure on the lemon and other glass seems good however.
    ALSO. for your second drawing ("after" image). you want to be moving those around rather than keeping them in the same place. You want to show that you're able to draw the same objects in different positions/angles. As well, the effect looks pretty well done to me but I'm not entirely sure what it is Dx you want to be communicating a clear and creative mini-story.

I'm loving the structure of your life drawing. it's just the proportions that need a bit more work.

and finally (this is getting hella long sorry! q_q) for your character design...personally I don't mind the way you rendered the turnaround, but it seems as though Sheridan prefers straight up (pencil) line drawings with little colouring in. You MUST be able to show them the underlying structure.
    the proportion on her seems fine to me--quite consistent. You might consider giving her a more interesting pose, though, to give a better sense of life to the character.
    the second action pose is rather awkwardly proportioned to me, though the first one seems fine in that regard. As for line quality, just watch line weight distribution.

aaand expressions (almost done omg I promise). I fear that the neutral pose falls back into an anime-ish look. The expressions show pretty good life, but just watch that the proportions stay the same--for example, look how different the surprised and sad are. Even with a stretchy face (which is preferable) things like eye shape/size should be handled with care--as much as facial features change, they should be easily recognizable as the same character.

buhh I hope this was helpful in some way ;n; I'm sorry you didn't get in after all your hard work. While there is room for improvement I think you deserved better than that sea of 1s and a number of the 2s. Best of luck getting where you're going <'3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddamnitDonna View Post
    I'm still curious to see whats in that perfect 4 portfolio
    Several hundred dollar bills and a couple of hookers, I assume.
    I'm just kidding, I'm sure it's legit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficialLamp View Post
    Oh my god I laughed so hard XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol that actually made me laugh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL!!

Are you gunna put it up?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GoddamnitDonna View Post
    LOL!!

Are you gunna put it up?
    I hope he is

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Put it uppp ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2.75. D8

Did pretty good on the life drawings. One 3, rest 4s.
    Got butchered in everything else. I'm out of practice. ;_;

I was actually worried bout my life drawings the most since I just started. I really like life drawing though, maybe the evaluator felt my passion stemming from the presentation of it! Like my friend says, "After a semester of life-drawing, I fear I can never draw people with clothes on again..."

Ahaha.

Gonna get in for sure next year. The signs from Lady Luck are still with me!

God speed, future Animation slaves.

"Machines aren't capable of evil, humans make them that way." - Lucca Ashtear, Chrono Trigger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks Foxery!

I just got my score sheet!

I got a score of 2.24 @_@
    I got completely floored on layout...
    I'm sad that my countless redos for line quality in my character got me a solid 2..

Woah, I think you got scored really harshly especially on the animation section. Even if you sent in the rotation fully rendered, the action poses and expression sheet are just fine. They don't seem like they should have gotten straight 2s.

And in the layout section, while weaker than the rest, I don't think that it deserved straight 1s compared to previous accepted portfolios that scored higher than that in that section, despite not being as strong as yours were. Also I really don't understand how lifedrawing scoring works, mine are pretty terrible compared to yours and we scored almost the same (I got 2 in perspective, you didn't) on that somehow.

Do you have last year's portfolio floating around? Also, it seems that Sheridan prefers that lines are left somewhat uncleaned in general, from what I've been absorbing so far from scores from previous years and this year. I guess sketch lines do have a nice, rhythmic quality though and maybe they just like to see how your lines are when you draw? My skritchy lifedrawings sure got a better score in line quality than my neatly lined hand drawing did which I found odd, it kind of feels like they're trying to hint me away from lining stuff in graphite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What exactly is this "line quality" Sheridan talks about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Teatime View Post
    I truly don't understand how you got that mark. I've seen other portfolios accepted that yours should beat, (including mine, i much prefer your life drawings over mine! And I like your character, including the structure) :c
    Keep in mind Sheridan has to take a minimum amount of Int'l students ― they will more than likely accept an Int'l student who has around the same skills as Miek simply because they profit more from them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wish I could get my stupid score sheet soon so I can post up my portfolio as well and get proper feedback. :c Maaail, why you move so slow? D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Should I appeal guys? ._.

I hate to nag, but I'm honestly unsure at this moment, I'm really frazzled @_@

so far I'm hearing half and half...

...that I should, and that their marking is usually consistent, and won't gain much from appealing (and that it was just a rumor a person got in from a 2.75 appeal)

My Portfolio + scoresheet

I scored lower than I did last year (2.26, now I got a 2.24), and I did my portfolio last year in like 2 days... (literally the weekend before)

I just don't want to go through a near month process to be traumatized again ugh lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just not sure either, Miek. I'm still waiting on my score sheet but I'm thinking the same thing. It certainly feels as though something went wrong with the scores on a few areas, especially with the household objects. It's certainly not a 1.

If you wouldn't be sorry to see the $50 go, I think you should consider it.

Do you have your last portfolio uploaded somewhere for comparison, by any chance?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just not sure either, Miek. I'm still waiting on my score sheet but I'm thinking the same thing. It certainly feels as though something went wrong with the scores on a few areas, especially with the household objects. It's certainly not a 1.

If you wouldn't be sorry to see the $50 go, I think you should consider it.

Do you have your last portfolio uploaded somewhere for comparison, by any chance?
    50$? nope... I'm not appealing LOL, it's bad enough we Visual Merchandising students have to buy clothes just to display in our friggin windows/as well as materials and stuff, ugh lol. I just spent 25$s on a stupid 9 page book to hand in for an assignment

/rant

I'll try and find it (my last portfolio)! but I probably won't be able to get it till later in the week! its 5 am and I gotta go to school now! bye bye! lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    someone else in my fundies class got a perfect 4.00 aswell :o

Members who have read this thread: 28