Sheridan Information Please! - Page 2
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheridan Information Please!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah well i applied to art fundies and illustration. same as my brother.

he got his illustration letter before me, so ill be getting mine soon.

it has a lot of things you must do, and I live far away so I will be mailing mine in.

but i should get started soon... it is not going to be easy! mostly all from direct life, they dont want to see any fantasy work haha .

I dont have any questions now I dont think, I just have to get at it..

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are you doing option 'a' or option 'b'?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    definitly B... . I have started the assignments already...harder than I thought. Oh well I will give it my best.

its funny

i have a twin and we applied to the same two courses at sheridan.

they made our student numbers the same and send me art fundamentals letter and him the illustration.s

they think Jack and Peter are the same person.

We do have the same birthday, live at the same place and are from the same school.... but we are two people.

Uh yeah so i have to get that straightened out. silly sheridan...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    end might see you in AF iff all goes as planned, tho my grades are not as good as your's lol oh well... im going in as a mature student, haven't heard back as of yet.... did you apply for OSAP and if you did do you need to know if your accepted prior to applying or can you just go ahead and apply and they'll place you on a 'pending' list

option b is in reference to illustration portfolio 2nd yr options?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, option b is in reference to the entry year portfolio requirements. There's a mandatory 4-part drawing test and then you can either submit 15 pieces from a previous art education (option a) or go through 10 part mini-assignment test (option b)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah quite right, my mistake thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, endragen, one thing you'll probably learn very quickly about alot of the admissions for courses at sheridan is they're halfway retarded.

It's a little funny because my room-mate just told me a little story about OCAS trying to mail him his portfolio forms... well part of our address is the Unit and then the corresponding number.... well, they don't know what 'unit' means so they didn't put it on the envelope when they mailed it. Which is stupid in itself .... but then.... it doesn't take an idiot to know that a letter being mailed to a street, city, and province with NO other information will probably get returned..... and that's exactly what they did... they went ahead and mailed it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah im trying to get that sorted out haha, ridiculous!

well see.. havent made my decision. i havent been accepted anywhere yet, they dont officially do that for a while. plus i have to make a portfolio and attend a presentation at ocad.

ocad looks pretty nice too !

EPIC: you apply to osap after you get in and choose. i believe in march is the starting time. you see how much you will need and how much osap will give you. you can apply now i think but its not necessary.
    tell me if u find out, all the infos on the osap website i believe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was sort of following this thread.

My application to Illustration in Sheridan will go out this wednesday...hopefully it beats the Feb 1st deadline for applications. Not too confident, but heck.

I'm also applying for Industrial Design in OCAD. Lets hope both sides will give me some consideration.

Maybe I'll end up classmates with some of you guys when school starts.

That's if I don't end up choosing a school in Australia.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well see.. havent made my decision. i havent been accepted anywhere yet, they dont officially do that for a while. plus i have to make a portfolio and attend a presentation at ocad.
    Just make sure when you attend the presentation at OCAD you ask whether the program you're getting into has life-models to work from.
    If the course is centered around drawing or painting and doesn't have figures to draw from/extra life sessions then you're missing out on a huge part of what you could possibly learn.

The only reason why I say this is because so far I've met a teacher and two students who have come out of OCAD and didn't have good things to say about the foundations year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill make sure to ask around look around for sure.

I am making my portfolio now, I'll try and scan it soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a 2nd year illustration student at Sheridan, and I went through the whole moving, attending the fundies course process and all that, so I thought I'd try and give my 2 cents on the matter. It's rather lengthy but I hope it helps.

1. Concerning international costs - Things change depending on the state of the dollar and all that, but a lot of American students find the prices of Sheridan quite comparable, even with the foreign student prices. The places you can compare Sheridan to in the US for Illustration and/or Animation are the Savannah School of Design and CalArts, which I gather are quite pricey schools. The cost of living in Oakville is rather high by Canadian standards but doesn't touch California! Once you figure in exchange rates and room/board etc, you'll probably find the prices are close. Sheridan gets quite a few international students. I had one classmate a few years ago from California who came to Sheridan rather than CalArts because it ended up being cheaper!

2. The Art Fundamentals course is completely designed around putting together a portfolio from scratch. They assume you have no prior experience, and it's a good weeding-out experience for the people who don't really know what they want to do. Most people who do get into the fundies course that start out wanting something specific often find out they want something else entirely - I went in thinking I wanted to be in animation and decided that illustration was really the place for me, for example. Portfolios aren't required and grades are only an issue if they get more applicants than they have room for.

3. Students who go through the Fundies process have (or at least had up until last year - does anyone know if they still do this?) a distinct advantage to getting into Illustration and Animation. Every year the Illustration and Animation programs accept a certain number of "direct entry" students from the Fundies program. You can choose one of the two programs to apply for direct entry if you have a B+ or above average in Fundies. Space is limited though so of course the higher your average, the better your chances, and your work will be reviewed with all the other direct entry applicants. If you don't get direct entry, you can still apply the normal way.

4. If you're a high school student, grades will matter for any college entry, but if you've been out of school for a couple of years you can apply as a mature student, and they don't bother looking at your transcripts as far as I know. Entry to Illustration and Animation is based first on the strength of your portfolio, and then they'll look at your grades. If it's a toss-up between two people with great portfolios and one has better grades, well...

5. There's never a shortage of people looking for roomates. It's nice to be in res just to be close to classes but it has draw-backs in otherways.. namely the cost, and that they boot you out over the holidays! NM if you have a significant other that might want to visit... The good/bad roomate issue can happen no matter where you are. One piece of advice I have is be _very_ careful about living with friends! Lots of spoiled friendships occur because of rooming situations!
    You'll find a place to stay, the question is how close to the school, and how cheap. It's best to start looking ASAP - you DO NOT want to be trying to find a decent place the first week of September!

Hope that helps someone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3. Students who go through the Fundies process have (or at least had up until last year - does anyone know if they still do this?) a distinct advantage to getting into Illustration and Animation. Every year the Illustration and Animation programs accept a certain number of "direct entry" students from the Fundies program. You can choose one of the two programs to apply for direct entry if you have a B+ or above average in Fundies. Space is limited though so of course the higher your average, the better your chances, and your work will be reviewed with all the other direct entry applicants. If you don't get direct entry, you can still apply the normal way.
    I'm currently in fundies and this is the first year that they no longer have special admissions/direct entry.
    We'll all be standing in line for our portfolio evaluation with the highschool students, college students, mature students and whoever else.... everyone applies the same way

This year has been pretty disorganized as far as requirements for illustration/animation and those wishing to jump to those programs upon grad from fundies.
    They keep pulling arbitrary rules out of their bums that have screwed alot of students over for this year and confused most of us.

I'm aiming for illustration, have been since I left highschool and that feeling keeps getting stronger now that I'm actually at sheridan. :beer:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kennygeeze - sorry to hear that. I have to say that the Fundies program has really gone downhill. Alright then, I guess fundies is only as good as you make it - it IS good practice and the teachers can at least give feedback on whether or not you're going in the right direction. For anyone going into the Art Fundamentals program, I'd just advise using the year to go to as many extra-hour drawing classes as possible and seek out the faculty and students of the course you want to get into to get advice, feedback, ideas, etc. The illustration faculty is, in general, amazing and if they aren't pressed for time most are more than happy to sit down and chat with students, same with the students currently in the program (for the most part). I don't know about Animation.

Lots of upheaval all around though with the new degree programs going in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sheridan Animation

Hey guys.... just quickly read through the thread... I'm a graduate of the Animation program at sheridan.... I also went through the Fundies program... Hrmm what to say..... Well... Work hard in fundies, take each teachers word with a grain of salt.... By that i mean, listen to them, understand what they are saying, and then make up your own mind about what direction you want to take in school... When i started,, i wanted to get into animation, but the teachers kept telling me that i was better off applying to illustration... Obviously i didn't listen to them... The key to getting into animation is Life Drawing.... You do have to know perspective, and how to keep a character "on model". But i definitely stress Life Drawing.. Go to every extra life drawing class you can... And sit behind the best artist in the room... Watch what they do, try to understand what they are thinking as they lay down their lines... Also, talk to students in the program. They are your best bet to find out where you need to improve! But don't be discouraged if they tell you they don't have time.. (animators at sheridan get alot of bullshit work assigned) and lack alot of sleep.. haha... the good old days... Oh,, and if you don't get into your program after fundies,,, don't get discouraged... I didn't get in after my year in fundies either... Just keep at it, and be determined, and don't take no for an answer... You are the one that will determine whether you get in or not...

Peace...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kennygeeze - sorry to hear that. I have to say that the Fundies program has really gone downhill. Alright then, I guess fundies is only as good as you make it - it IS good practice and the teachers can at least give feedback on whether or not you're going in the right direction. For anyone going into the Art Fundamentals program, I'd just advise using the year to go to as many extra-hour drawing classes as possible and seek out the faculty and students of the course you want to get into to get advice, feedback, ideas, etc. The illustration faculty is, in general, amazing and if they aren't pressed for time most are more than happy to sit down and chat with students, same with the students currently in the program (for the most part). I don't know about Animation.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still a good art program and I have a few really good teachers, however the stuff with administration right now seems totally ..... messed up...

Hmmm, I'll take your suggestion and try to find some illustration students/faculty to take a look at my stuff. I'm good friends with a couple illustration students, but one of them just got kicked out of sheridan for failing english so.... perhaps I should find some others.

Alot of my portfolio pieces are still at school... I'm about 2 3rds done the illustration application portfolio... I just have to refine a project from imaging systems and then do the drawing test. So, perhaps I'll post my portfolio in the critique section for .... critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.... just quickly read through the thread... I'm a graduate of the Animation program at sheridan.... I also went through the Fundies program... Hrmm what to say..... Well... Work hard in fundies, take each teachers word with a grain of salt.... By that i mean, listen to them, understand what they are saying, and then make up your own mind about what direction you want to take in school... When i started,, i wanted to get into animation, but the teachers kept telling me that i was better off applying to illustration... Obviously i didn't listen to them... The key to getting into animation is Life Drawing.... You do have to know perspective, and how to keep a character "on model". But i definitely stress Life Drawing.. Go to every extra life drawing class you can... And sit behind the best artist in the room... Watch what they do, try to understand what they are thinking as they lay down their lines... Also, talk to students in the program. They are your best bet to find out where you need to improve! But don't be discouraged if they tell you they don't have time.. (animators at sheridan get alot of bullshit work assigned) and lack alot of sleep.. haha... the good old days... Oh,, and if you don't get into your program after fundies,,, don't get discouraged... I didn't get in after my year in fundies either... Just keep at it, and be determined, and don't take no for an answer... You are the one that will determine whether you get in or not...

Thanks for the advice.
    I was thinking about applying for animation earlier this month.. but I find that my interests are more centered toward illustration.

I try to go to as many life-drawing sessions as possible... right at the beginning I was going 3-4 times a week... unfortunately that kinda fizzled toward christmas... but now I'm getting back into it and trying to go everyday I'm in class... even on my day off sometimes.

Now, if sheridan would stop having snow days and closing before the 3:00 open life.... I could really get into it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, perhaps I'll post my portfolio in the critique section for .... critique.
    Wouldn't mind checking out what you've been working on kenny

Man I sure hope fundies for 04-05 isn't as messed as the past seems to have been. My biggest problem if I'm in is getting caught up in work or being led off the path by a misleading comment, since there's alot of ground to cover in only one year.

On average when does classes start, cause im thinking of communting to Sheridan via 407 instead of getting an appartment. 30-40min each way, is it worth it or do you think I'll be too rushed each day?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Epic.

Alot of my friends commute to sheridan either by extremely long car ride or taking the go-train. Maybe half the people I know from class actually live here in Oakville.

As far as when classes start.... you can probably anticipate alot of 8:00 in the morning start times.
    I had an 8:00 every single day last semester except for thursday, which I had off.

So, if you think that you can get here by 8:00 on a normal day, then go for it. 30-40 minutes isn't too bad of a commute.... I have a half hour walk actually :p

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ended up posting alot of my portfolio in the life-drawing and help forum....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a first year animation student at sheridan, i was first year Illustration last year, but i dropped out because i didn't like it.

You know, honestly I'd have tried to skip Fundies and apply for either Animation or Illustration directly. Its not that its a bad program, but a lot of my friends who've been through Fundies tell me it was a waste of a year for them. Because they began to realize by talking to studens in the other two programs, that they had a pretty good chance of getting into animation or illustration minus Fundies.

But then I guess it depends on the individual. I also drive to Sheridan, because I live in Scarborough. I'd recommend NOT doing this. It was pretty alright first sememster once I got used to it, but its becoming such a bitch now because of all the snow. I've missed so many classes. On a good day it takes me 35-45 mins to drive to school in the morning, and about an hour to hour 1/2 to get back in the afternoon(rush hour traffic kills). Add snow to the equation, and you'd be swearing more than the combined cast of Goodfellas. Trust me. I spend about 300 a month on gas, thats when I have classes 5 days a week. But if its just Fundies, you should be off by 12, so you'd actually miss rush hour traffic. Its really up to you, but it really is no picnic. I regret all the time I spend on the road, time that could be spend working on assignments...know what I mean?

My 2 cents.

Last edited by mercury; February 1st, 2004 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, honestly I'd have tried to skip Fundies and apply for either Animation or Illustration directly. Its not that its a bad program, but a lot of my friends who've been through Fundies tell me it was a waste of a year for them. Because they began to realize by talking to studens in the other two programs, that they had a pretty good chance of getting into animation or illustration minus Fundies.
    Not that I'm disagreeing with you or anything, but I came from a school where not much was known about getting into high-caliber art programs..

There wasn't alot of life-drawing and I remember in my final year struggling to draw the likeness of a human face and being told to 'just use the projector' why why draw something that a camera can already do better..

For a while my school prided themselves on the fact that their entire graduating art class applied to art fundementals at sheridan and all of them got in.... it angered the teacher when I told her later on that pretty much anyone gets accepted and there is no portfolio requirement.

Art fundamentals filled alot of the holes in my art-training and opened alot of doors by using the peer tutors to help me supplement my lfie-drawing ability with more skills.

So, perhaps these people that had the potentiall all along to attend animation or whatever went to magnet schools where they had figure drawing... or at least observational drawing or painting.

Because I didn't have that.... I had people throw paint at canvas, tape garbage together, come up with bullshit explanation and get A+'s and I don't think that flies at sheridan.... at least not in animation or illustration anyways.

Last edited by kennygeeze; March 3rd, 2007 at 12:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you. My 12 and OAC art teacher were complete psychos, in that they'd give high marks to the most "unique" pieces. I just didn't bother listening to them, yeah they nearly failed me in each class, but fuck...I have the last laugh. The students who listened to them are in UofT studying Fine Arts.

I was just thinking that, If you're confident about your work, then try skipping Fundies and jsut apply for Animation or Illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the portfolio process is tough !

i am going to an ocad portfolio day and mailing mine in to sheridan.

you can see it in my progress sketchbook thread, its in my signature below the post.

btw kenny awesome portfolio. I dont have too much life drawing, but im planning sketching some friends

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with you. My 12 and OAC art teacher were complete psychos, in that they'd give high marks to the most "unique" pieces. I just didn't bother listening to them, yeah they nearly failed me in each class, but fuck...I have the last laugh. The students who listened to them are in UofT studying Fine Arts.
    Heheheh, could pretty much say exactly the same thing if I was talking about my art the last two years

I applied to illustration (the course I still want) 2 years in a row out of highschool, however I didn't have any formal life-drawing to put in or life-drawing experience.

I tried to do observational drawing, but 2 years ago it was kinda a burden and when my portfolio was done, I went back to drawing comic-'ish stuff, and last year I was only first getting into drawing alot from life... I only produced anything that I was happy with once long after my second portfolio had already been submitted, so yeah.... .

So, hopefully this year as I'm constantly refining my skills and already have 15 application pieces.... I just have to keep replacing the ones I have as I make better ones... and uh... really work on my life-drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw kenny awesome portfolio. I dont have too much life drawing, but im planning sketching some friends
    Thanks very much.

And I checked out your sketch thread.... very nice. I wish I had the patience to sit down and learn real anatomical structure... our figure drawing teachers really only have time to get into very simplified and metaphorical basic forms of the parts of the body.

Hopefully all that stuff you're doing is in the same sketchbook, as it looks like it would be an awesome piece to include for illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really ?

Thanks!

I am wondering what sketches to include in my sketchbook actually.

do you think the figure studies and imagination studies with a few observational sketches would do it?

It would be a great help if you could give me an example of a couple sketches I should include

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They like seeing a variety of things from observation. Namely hands and feet 'cause they're hard to draw... since your figure drawing represents your ability to draw figures in the studio, your sketchbook should represent your ability to draw people from real life in real life settings.

Include media experimentation... like if you have watercolor or charcoal laying around try drawing things with that.

Animals.... roughs and conceptual work for stuff that was turned into a final project.

I had a couple pages of my sketchbook photcopied by my drawing teacher and put on display today near the front hallway... these were them...

well, that's the one I have online anyways. They're not the most anatomically correct subjects in the world... the one girl looks like she says 6 fingers for some reason.... but basically I had a couple friends over at one point a couple months ago... and while we were just lounging around I sketched them. That's one example.

I'll probably scan some new sketches soon, but.... scenery, stuff that shows perspective, people, places, objects, archecture, animals... whatever...

Your anatomical studies would be a good addition, because alot of people don't know real anatomy yet until part way through their first year there.

Oh, and keep in mind these are just things that illustration proffessors and faculty of other art programs as well as students have told me.
    So, if I'm wrong about anything, someone please correct me as I'm completing a sketchbook as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks ill be sure to include various observational sketches. i have to get working on that and include that more into my routine

that sketch is pretty solid

i like it. youve got leeway on me for observing

well see next year heheh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, I'm applying to Sheridan's Illustration program for the 3rd time

First time was in highschool and I was clueless.
    Second time I was swamped with work from art fundamentals at georgian and got the letter late (less that 2 weeks left) so I scrambleded to finish the new mandatory drawing test and ended up sending in a half finished portfolio.

For option A it only says submit UP TO 15, so i think you can do like 10 nice pieces and get away with it.

I am gonna post the drawings soon in a thread but right now i gotta get back to work and head off to an indoor soccer game for drawing test number 1.

(This thread is really helpful.)

Page 2 of 267 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 28