Sheridan Information Please! - Page 197
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 197 of 267 FirstFirst ... 97 147 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 247 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,910 of 7997

Thread: Sheridan Information Please!

  1. #5881
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alliluyeva View Post
    anyone?
    hi! I'd be glad to give some feedback (:

    okay so i noticed that your first two drawings are really strong! nice line weight. having a good sense for linework is really a good thing cause it can make a drawing look ten times better.

    your life drawings of the people are a little weaker, and being able to draw people well is reeeally important. honestly, it is so easy to improve this if you practice enough. ask you family/friends to pose for you and try drawing them. Another trick that I do all the time in class is just draw the people you see. Sometimes people in front of me are in cool positions and i like to draw them (e.x. in this one: http://imgur.com/khGQz i drew one friend who sits in front of me in class and then i got a different friend to sit for me for about ten minutes ) Once you get good at people you get so good at a lot of other things! perspective/proportions and all that.

    I like your room drawings although you could add more detail. They'll want to be seeing lots of details in these drawings, add more shapes.

    For the lizard one i would recommend spending more time to carefully plan out your lines. draw your rough sketch but go over the lines nicely and fix it until you're happy with it. Same with the hippos. its appears very flat. maybe add some shading. to practice shading, set up a lamp and an object like an apple. or draw toilet paper rolls! they are fun

    your character is okay. The main flaw with your character however is that I don't see any personality. This is one of the most important parts of creating characters in animation: personality. There should be a story behind a character, they need to be convincing. look at disney and pixar characters.. they all have incredible stories and personalities! Think about Wall-e.. to be able to give that character SUCH a distinct personality when it doesn't even have a face.. genius.

    Your hands are great! I absolutely suck at hands lol they're really hard to do, so good job!!

    I'll stop now cause wow this is long lol

    hope this helped!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  2. #5882
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicnak044 View Post
    If you don't mind, could you possible critique my portfolio? Not necessarily every piece, but maybe an overall, just pointing out a few things here and there? Whatever works aha, but I'm dying to hear some feedback from a knowledgeable person ;D
    http://the-art-of-nicole.blogspot.ca/
    Sure thing. I'm in illustration, so can't judge perfectly some of the animation stuff, but I can talk about your drawing skills.

    Life drawing:
    -Watch out on your proportions. The second one in particular has very elongated limbs, and the other have some issues as well (third one has a tiny head)
    -Since these are shorter poses and not rendered, and since you are applying to animation, gesture is REALLY important. I feel you could have pushed it more in all three. I see you putting in lines of action and gesture curves, but you can exaggerate it more.
    -There isn't really much of a need to put in little circles in the joints in my opinion since it doesn't really convey any useful information

    Cat/Tiger:
    -I feel like both of these can have their forms pushed more as they read a bit flat, especially the cat one


    Hands:
    -Hands look pretty good
    -I'm not sure what the requirements were for it, but maybe you could have chosen a different angle so that when you open the scissors there would be a bigger change in the positioning of things such as the fingers (right now both drawings are basically the exact same)

    Character:
    -You definitely could have pushed and exaggerated the expressions more. I can still tell what they are without the labels, but it is much less clear.

    Layout:
    -I think this is probably your weakest section
    -The perspective is REALLY off in all the drawings, sorry!

    Personal art:
    -I'm not sure what they are looking for, but these seem not too bad
    -You can get more colour variation going on, right now it is all kind of monochromatic. You should change ALL THREE of the hue, saturation, and value when changing from light to shadow.

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:


  4. #5883
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Oh Andrew you're giving out critiques? I'd love to hear your opinion on my portfolio.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  5. #5884
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeel View Post
    Oh Andrew you're giving out critiques? I'd love to hear your opinion on my portfolio.
    Same here!!

    I would love to hear some feedback critiques from any of you!
    (It's not my portfolio just some art i've done)

    http://imgur.com/e4eeJ
    http://imgur.com/RP5QY
    http://imgur.com/a6zR4
    http://imgur.com/khGQz
    http://imgur.com/2kMf7
    http://imgur.com/7SF2K

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #5885
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeel View Post
    Ah. Well. Alright I guess. I worry myself if I'm just running into another OCAD. but the courses all interest me so I'm being optimistic.

    I thought the grad showing was pretty good. Lots of great illustrations in there.


    Edit: You should know that in the info session the Dean told me they are switching up the program. its now going to be done in streams entertainment, conceptualized and mechanical. Entertainment is probably what will interest you.
    Well I think there are a couple okay artists from last year, but nothing that really impressed me. A lot of it was really bad considering it is four years of art school (and supposedly one of the best in North America). How many of the people from last year are actually working at a professional level coming out of school? I would argue MAYBE one or two.

    Also I forgot that they are changing the program for you guys. Next year's group is the first year that will be affected. The rest of us are only affected by the time we reach 4th year.

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. #5886
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    Well I think there are a couple okay artists from last year, but nothing that really impressed me. A lot of it was really bad considering it is four years of art school (and supposedly one of the best in North America). How many of the people from last year are actually working at a professional level coming out of school? I would argue MAYBE one or two.

    Also I forgot that they are changing the program for you guys. Next year's group is the first year that will be affected. The rest of us are only affected by the time we reach 4th year.
    That sucks. It sounded like a good idea.

    Well, I don't know. All the Canadian artists I see in concept design (my field of interest) usually come from Sheridan's illustration program. You know it better than I do (of course) but the praise I hear about these programs are plentiful. Can I ask you (ontop of the critique) for maybe a little more indepth review of your time at sheridan? I'd like to learn more about its negatives and positives.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  8. #5887
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Alrighty critiques then since people want them. After this I should go to bed though...I'm pretty sleep deprived and actually meant to go to bed early tonight but couldn't sleep for some reason.

    mzstk: I already mentioned quickly earlier that I felt your drawings were pretty good, but your paintings weaker. But I guess you want a more in depth critique then. So...numbers correspond to images in order:

    1- I'm not too sure what you reference looks like for this, but definitely hack the angle of things there since the perspective looks off. A few examples are the small middle dome has too much curve to the bottom of it making it look tilted towards us, the big dome needs to to have that thing on top of it line up in the middle (domes are perfectly symmetrical). Also the painting needs some more colour variation. For instance, you've painted the domes the same colour as the buildings in the distance. Even if in the photo they look the same, you should make the ones in the distance a cooler colour to push the depth of the image more.
    2- To be honest I find this one pretty weak...there is no sense of lighting or form, the bird is a made up species that doesn't really make sense and it is sitting on a boring grey plain background.
    3-These look pretty good. I like that your line have some cross in front of others to show what muscles are in front and whatnot. The arm on the on on the right is really small though. And you can probably work on the knee to make it more apparent that the upper and lower leg sections are going in different directions in space.
    4-Looks good.
    5-DRAW HEADS. I can tell you are avoiding it.
    6-Kinda cute, but not really my thing. I don't really know what to change about it though since I am not very familiar with cartoony stuff.

    Overall you're doing okay. I'd try mixing up what you draw though since it seems to be a lot of nude females with the same body type and no faces.

    zeel: I guess I'll do the same thing as above. Number corresponds to order it appears:

    1- It's a little stiff, but overall not too bad.
    2- It is again not too bad. You can play around with line weight more--it will really help with pushing things in space either towards the viewer or away (for instance you can really sell the arm being in front of the body more). Also be careful with the eyes as it seems a little creepy seeing so much iris.
    3- I don't have much else to add...maybe you should have included some with shading as opposed to only line drawings for life drawing.
    4- The head and mane (I think it's a lion) are a little confusing. Other than that the same applies to this as the other drawings--play with line weight or add value.
    5- The head is REALLY weird in this one, watch the perspective of the features. Also be careful not to add too many random lines in places. Each line should mean something, and right now it is getting confusing in places and looks like it is covered in scars.
    6/7- The hands here are pretty good. A few angles on some things are a bit extreme I think, but it is probably better to overstate it than understate it. Again though watch out for some unnecessary lines/dots.

    Just an interlude here to comment on all the drawings so far-- a lot seem pretty rushed for a portfolio. You can definitely spend longer on some of these.

    8/9- Still Lifes. Again, very rushed looking. The line quality is a little shaky, and the cast shadows are super half assed looking (sorry!). I do however like the changes you made, it's very dynamic and interesting. Be careful with the basket though as it is hard to read which side is closer and which is farther, leading me to initially think the perspective was wrong on it.
    All the character stuff- The leg that is lifted is really weirdly proportioned in the first one. The other look better. Design-wise it's not super interesting but probably okay.
    (getting tired of counting numbers, so will just describe stuff)
    view out window- Line weight or value again. You need to differentiate between how you draw things that are close and how you draw things that are far.

    Overall it is not too bad. I feel that you have a decent chance to get into illustration but maybe not animation. Your drawing style isn't really suited for what they look for in animation since they want more construction and it looks like you just sorta copy lines as you see it without building up the forms first. You probably could have added in some rendered things for the illustration portfolio at least. Also, your portfolio looked rushed...

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. #5888
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeel View Post
    That sucks. It sounded like a good idea.

    Well, I don't know. All the Canadian artists I see in concept design (my field of interest) usually come from Sheridan's illustration program. You know it better than I do (of course) but the praise I hear about these programs are plentiful. Can I ask you (ontop of the critique) for maybe a little more indepth review of your time at sheridan? I'd like to learn more about its negatives and positives.
    Okay this is my last post of the night. So much typing takes away time that I need to sleep haha!

    I'm not sure exactly how the program will be for you since it is a little different with the changes they are making. That being said, the program from how I have seen it is NOT suited for concept art. The only people in older years that are doing it that I have seen basically tell me they learned it all on their own and are only staying in the program to get the degree for a work visa to go to the USA. To be honest in terms of concept art I think it would be better to go to animation. Their program teaches more skills in terms of drawing and painting and they actually get classes dedicated to things like character design and layout (which as far as I know doesn't happen in illustration).

    As for my experience and pros and cons...
    pros: facilities are great with nice equipment and lighting, good to meet other artists of similar age who you can talk to/learn from, extra life drawing in the evenings, free access to the gym

    cons: most classes are boring/don't teach you anything at all (and you need to take electives which can suck if you choose a bad one), not a very intensive environment (very little homework and not a lot of motivation to work and paint), don't actually do any real illustration in the first year, seems geared towards editorial (although this may not be a bad thing if you want that)

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:


  11. #5889
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    Sure thing. I'm in illustration, so can't judge perfectly some of the animation stuff, but I can talk about your drawing skills.

    Life drawing:
    -Watch out on your proportions. The second one in particular has very elongated limbs, and the other have some issues as well (third one has a tiny head)
    -Since these are shorter poses and not rendered, and since you are applying to animation, gesture is REALLY important. I feel you could have pushed it more in all three. I see you putting in lines of action and gesture curves, but you can exaggerate it more.
    -There isn't really much of a need to put in little circles in the joints in my opinion since it doesn't really convey any useful information

    Cat/Tiger:
    -I feel like both of these can have their forms pushed more as they read a bit flat, especially the cat one


    Hands:
    -Hands look pretty good
    -I'm not sure what the requirements were for it, but maybe you could have chosen a different angle so that when you open the scissors there would be a bigger change in the positioning of things such as the fingers (right now both drawings are basically the exact same)

    Character:
    -You definitely could have pushed and exaggerated the expressions more. I can still tell what they are without the labels, but it is much less clear.

    Layout:
    -I think this is probably your weakest section
    -The perspective is REALLY off in all the drawings, sorry!

    Personal art:
    -I'm not sure what they are looking for, but these seem not too bad
    -You can get more colour variation going on, right now it is all kind of monochromatic. You should change ALL THREE of the hue, saturation, and value when changing from light to shadow.
    Ah, this was great, thank you so much (:

    I do strongly believe my life drawing, and especially my layout sections are my weaknesses when it came to this portfolio, but I do plan on improving right away (: I sure hope that even if I don't make it into animation, that the fundies program will help build up my life drawing skills (:

    And yeah, my layout section could have been a lot better. The main reason for the horrible perspective is because they requested not to use a ruler, yet I've seen others and they have all clearly used a ruler, or some type of straight object to help with their construction lines. I didn't want to risk it, so I stuck with the rules and what they clearly stated. *sigh* And I kind of rushed the one drawing of the full room in view..kept that for the night before the portfolio was do; really bad decision. I do wish I could re-do them I have a feeling that section will really bring my score down..but I'm trying not to worry about it..

    Anyway, I'll continue staying patient for a response back lol, in the mean time I'll put all of what you said in mind and continue practicing on those, especially perspective.
    Thanks again (:

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. #5890
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboubouh View Post
    I've never been out of school that's what's bugging me. I don't care about the age difference with people who come straight from high school but I'm doing way to much studies than what I expected... at the end of sheridan or OCAD I would have done 8 years of studies!!

    1 year architecture, 3 years graphic design (working at the same time as a graphic designer, its a special european thing) + 4 years!!!

    By the way the drinking age in Ontario is 19 right?
    I'm 23 and I've never been out of school for more than six months, for insurance reasons. I graduated high school at 17. It's not a big deal.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  13. #5891
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeel View Post
    They said that? My info sessions didn't say that.

    Plus that sounds like a big lie anyways. 80%? Please.
    My friend in art fundies told me that when he went to the session.

    Let me tell you that is a giant lie, I don't know who said that But I know for a fact that no more then 30 art fundamentals got in last year (I attend Sheridan and there is a sheet posted in one of the hallways of where art fundies students went last year, according to a survey we had to fill out.)

    As for all the art fundamentals talk (sorry i'm a little late), I really wish I went to the workshop. I know a few people from animation who got in through that program too, or taking it now. But I also think it's getting too much negative response. I learned a lot in art fundies, but I think the biggest issue is that the teachers didn't emphasize to keep drawing on your own time, and recommend good books.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. #5892
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Uptown View Post
    If im hearing fundamentals is a waste , why did they say at the info session that 80% of fundamental people that apply to animation get in?
    Edit: Nevermind what I just said, I think the 80% that they're referring to is the number of students that got accepted into their program of choice, which could mean anything from animation to something like textiles and cosmetics, or even going into a different school. That would make more sense since the majority of my class got into something after their first year of fundies.

    Last edited by whatami; March 23rd, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  15. #5893
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Just a little update for everyone. A guy in my communications technology class (that I'm taking in high school atm; best class ever that includes animation ) knows someone who works at Sheridan (not exactly sure what they do there) but he told him that they will begin sending out responses on the 27th of March. o_o

    EDIT- Forgot to mention the guy in my class is ALSO applying to animation too, so he's been receiving updates by email from this guy he knows.

    Last edited by Nicnak044; March 23rd, 2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. #5894
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bermuda
    Posts
    167
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicnak044 View Post
    Just a little update for everyone. A guy in my communications technology class (that I'm taking in high school atm; best class ever that includes animation ) knows someone who works at Sheridan (not exactly sure what they do there) but he told him that they will begin sending out responses on the 27th of March. o_o
    Eek!

    I think international people are getting acceptance emails instead of snail mail, I'm --- super not looking forward to that.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  17. #5895
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    Alrighty critiques then since people want them. After this I should go to bed though...I'm pretty sleep deprived and actually meant to go to bed early tonight but couldn't sleep for some reason.

    mzstk: I already mentioned quickly earlier that I felt your drawings were pretty good, but your paintings weaker. But I guess you want a more in depth critique then. So...numbers correspond to images in order:

    1- I'm not too sure what you reference looks like for this, but definitely hack the angle of things there since the perspective looks off. A few examples are the small middle dome has too much curve to the bottom of it making it look tilted towards us, the big dome needs to to have that thing on top of it line up in the middle (domes are perfectly symmetrical). Also the painting needs some more colour variation. For instance, you've painted the domes the same colour as the buildings in the distance. Even if in the photo they look the same, you should make the ones in the distance a cooler colour to push the depth of the image more.
    2- To be honest I find this one pretty weak...there is no sense of lighting or form, the bird is a made up species that doesn't really make sense and it is sitting on a boring grey plain background.
    3-These look pretty good. I like that your line have some cross in front of others to show what muscles are in front and whatnot. The arm on the on on the right is really small though. And you can probably work on the knee to make it more apparent that the upper and lower leg sections are going in different directions in space.
    4-Looks good.
    5-DRAW HEADS. I can tell you are avoiding it.
    6-Kinda cute, but not really my thing. I don't really know what to change about it though since I am not very familiar with cartoony stuff.

    Overall you're doing okay. I'd try mixing up what you draw though since it seems to be a lot of nude females with the same body type and no faces.

    zeel: I guess I'll do the same thing as above. Number corresponds to order it appears:

    1- It's a little stiff, but overall not too bad.
    2- It is again not too bad. You can play around with line weight more--it will really help with pushing things in space either towards the viewer or away (for instance you can really sell the arm being in front of the body more). Also be careful with the eyes as it seems a little creepy seeing so much iris.
    3- I don't have much else to add...maybe you should have included some with shading as opposed to only line drawings for life drawing.
    4- The head and mane (I think it's a lion) are a little confusing. Other than that the same applies to this as the other drawings--play with line weight or add value.
    5- The head is REALLY weird in this one, watch the perspective of the features. Also be careful not to add too many random lines in places. Each line should mean something, and right now it is getting confusing in places and looks like it is covered in scars.
    6/7- The hands here are pretty good. A few angles on some things are a bit extreme I think, but it is probably better to overstate it than understate it. Again though watch out for some unnecessary lines/dots.

    Just an interlude here to comment on all the drawings so far-- a lot seem pretty rushed for a portfolio. You can definitely spend longer on some of these.

    8/9- Still Lifes. Again, very rushed looking. The line quality is a little shaky, and the cast shadows are super half assed looking (sorry!). I do however like the changes you made, it's very dynamic and interesting. Be careful with the basket though as it is hard to read which side is closer and which is farther, leading me to initially think the perspective was wrong on it.
    All the character stuff- The leg that is lifted is really weirdly proportioned in the first one. The other look better. Design-wise it's not super interesting but probably okay.
    (getting tired of counting numbers, so will just describe stuff)
    view out window- Line weight or value again. You need to differentiate between how you draw things that are close and how you draw things that are far.

    Overall it is not too bad. I feel that you have a decent chance to get into illustration but maybe not animation. Your drawing style isn't really suited for what they look for in animation since they want more construction and it looks like you just sorta copy lines as you see it without building up the forms first. You probably could have added in some rendered things for the illustration portfolio at least. Also, your portfolio looked rushed...
    Thanks for the critique and your analysis of Sheridan!

    I'm hoping for the animation really. I like my chances but we'll see. As for the shading, I'd totally agree but I read somewhere that the Animation portfolio doesn't want that. So I kept it out!

    You know I keep getting that "rushed" or "rough" thing lately. I don't know what to tell you I finished my portfolio pretty early so I wasn't rushed. Usually when I ink it is when my pencil lines become all crisp and what not but I understand your point on line quality.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. #5896
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeel View Post
    Thanks for the critique and your analysis of Sheridan!

    I'm hoping for the animation really. I like my chances but we'll see. As for the shading, I'd totally agree but I read somewhere that the Animation portfolio doesn't want that. So I kept it out!

    You know I keep getting that "rushed" or "rough" thing lately. I don't know what to tell you I finished my portfolio pretty early so I wasn't rushed. Usually when I ink it is when my pencil lines become all crisp and what not but I understand your point on line quality.
    To answer your question of looking rough...well to me it is because you are jumping straight into finished lines (or at least it looks like it). Usually one starts very lightly blocking in everything. Then maybe will erase and correct proportions a bit. Then draw a bit darker and a bit more accurate on top. Repeat.

    Especially for something like a still life where there is no time limit, you can sit down and get it as accurate as you want. What you have right now looks like it could be the first initial stage of a drawing (if you drew it a bit lighter). You can still then go over it more carefully and pay attention to the nuances that exist. Like in the basket on your first still life. It looks like you saw what the general shape of the weave was and then just drew it very quickly. You could have instead observed each one carefully and drawn it as it was--how does it look compared to the one next to it? Is it more of an angular or organic shape? Is it misshapen somehow? etc

    They also look rough because of the type of line you are using. While some artists can use the type of line you do, it is very difficult and usually is stylized more (take a look at some of Moebius's stuff). Your line weight now is pretty bad--it is all uniformly thin. If you are using a mechanical pencil I'd put it aside and use a regular one. You lines are not only the same thickness but the same value everywhere too. A lighter line in places, or no line at all sometimes can really add to a piece and make it look more complete (as can some nice thick dark lines).

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  19. #5897
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    To answer your question of looking rough...well to me it is because you are jumping straight into finished lines (or at least it looks like it). Usually one starts very lightly blocking in everything. Then maybe will erase and correct proportions a bit. Then draw a bit darker and a bit more accurate on top. Repeat.

    Especially for something like a still life where there is no time limit, you can sit down and get it as accurate as you want. What you have right now looks like it could be the first initial stage of a drawing (if you drew it a bit lighter). You can still then go over it more carefully and pay attention to the nuances that exist. Like in the basket on your first still life. It looks like you saw what the general shape of the weave was and then just drew it very quickly. You could have instead observed each one carefully and drawn it as it was--how does it look compared to the one next to it? Is it more of an angular or organic shape? Is it misshapen somehow? etc

    They also look rough because of the type of line you are using. While some artists can use the type of line you do, it is very difficult and usually is stylized more (take a look at some of Moebius's stuff). Your line weight now is pretty bad--it is all uniformly thin. If you are using a mechanical pencil I'd put it aside and use a regular one. You lines are not only the same thickness but the same value everywhere too. A lighter line in places, or no line at all sometimes can really add to a piece and make it look more complete (as can some nice thick dark lines).

    Yes I do use a mechanical pencil. I keep hearing I should switch.. but I don't know, I like mechanical pencils.

    But anyways, those life drawings were about 20 minutes a pop.(except the guy walking) I had to be quick, but I do see what you're saying. Funny enough I do construct the body then build up but I suppose I do it too quickly.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. #5898
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sonea View Post
    The following is for illustration by the way (animation looks pretty good as a program from what I can see):

    I don't want to slag the school too much here (especially with everyone being so excited about it), but basically I felt that the classes were nothing close to what I had expected. I felt that they were overly basic and slow paced. The program also was not as intense as I had heard-- we've barely have had any homework all year in fact. I just feel like I'm wasting time coasting through it sorta (a few classes were especially bad too). Also it seems a little more editorial based and centered around idea generation than on building skills. I simply feel I could progress much faster on my own, and it would be a lot easier on me financially as well (I can't justify the tuition for what I get in return).
    Sooo... are you done with 'Art' Schools?
    (i believe some people dont even need to be in Art school to be successful either)....btw what do you want to do career-wise anyway?
    What are planning to do in September?
    Are you planning to return to school at all? for something else? and do your Art on your own?

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  21. #5899
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mississauga, ON
    Posts
    86
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by MichySoong View Post
    Hi everyone! I'm Michy. I'm 17 years old and I applied for both the illustration and animation program in Sheridan.

    Actually, I uploaded a bit of my animation portfolio in case anyone wants to take a peek! The rest was not uploaded because my blackberry does not serve as a stable camera..

    Michelle Soong and you live in Mississauga? I think we have some mutual friends! Your name is very familiar, I might have seen it on Facebook a few times.
    Back on topic, I really like your hand drawings! The structure appeals to me a lot.

    Andrew Sonea Do you suppose you could give me critique as well? I applied for Illustration. (don't feel obligated to, I don't want to waste your time if you're busy)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=2523f4f7a3

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. #5900
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboubouh View Post
    I hope there is not going to be a lot of immature 18 year olds drinking too much and throwing up at parties =/

    Anyways I heard that Ontarians are not party people ^^ and that Toronto is dead after 6pm when everybody gets back home haha
    Actually not true my sister goes to a lot of clubs and and stuff

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  23. #5901
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Anybody go to the brampton art school? I heard about it from someone on deviant art and they said there was life drawing classes. So if anybody can tell me if the classes there are good that would be great.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  24. #5902
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    207
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mzstk View Post
    hi! I'd be glad to give some feedback (:

    okay so i noticed that your first two drawings are really strong! nice line weight. having a good sense for linework is really a good thing cause it can make a drawing look ten times better.

    your life drawings of the people are a little weaker, and being able to draw people well is reeeally important. honestly, it is so easy to improve this if you practice enough. ask you family/friends to pose for you and try drawing them. Another trick that I do all the time in class is just draw the people you see. Sometimes people in front of me are in cool positions and i like to draw them (e.x. in this one: http://imgur.com/khGQz i drew one friend who sits in front of me in class and then i got a different friend to sit for me for about ten minutes ) Once you get good at people you get so good at a lot of other things! perspective/proportions and all that.

    I like your room drawings although you could add more detail. They'll want to be seeing lots of details in these drawings, add more shapes.

    For the lizard one i would recommend spending more time to carefully plan out your lines. draw your rough sketch but go over the lines nicely and fix it until you're happy with it. Same with the hippos. its appears very flat. maybe add some shading. to practice shading, set up a lamp and an object like an apple. or draw toilet paper rolls! they are fun

    your character is okay. The main flaw with your character however is that I don't see any personality. This is one of the most important parts of creating characters in animation: personality. There should be a story behind a character, they need to be convincing. look at disney and pixar characters.. they all have incredible stories and personalities! Think about Wall-e.. to be able to give that character SUCH a distinct personality when it doesn't even have a face.. genius.

    Your hands are great! I absolutely suck at hands lol they're really hard to do, so good job!!

    I'll stop now cause wow this is long lol

    hope this helped!

    thanks for the crit!

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  25. #5903
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Damn this forum exploded. And with criticism seemingly being so abundant, I'd love to get some on my animation portfolio.

    http://omarsanimation.blogspot.ca/

    Much appreciated.

    Also on an observational note, if we really do find out on the 27th then holy crap that's really soon :/

    http://omarsanimation.blogspot.ca/

    "We all have 10,000 bad drawings in us, the sooner we get them out the better."
    Walt Stanchfield
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  26. #5904
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Next tuesday aha, it is very close indeed

    @elhindi23- I have a feeling you're getting in (: Your portfolio is excellent ^_^

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicnak044 For This Useful Post:


  28. #5905
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    171
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by elhindi23 View Post
    Damn this forum exploded. And with criticism seemingly being so abundant, I'd love to get some on my animation portfolio.

    http://omarsanimation.blogspot.ca/

    Much appreciated.

    Also on an observational note, if we really do find out on the 27th then holy crap that's really soon :/


    Character drawings look good. I quite like the little guy to be honest. It all looks fluid until action pose one where the guys' leaping looks a little stiff. Though its not bad, i think extending the arm forward(the one holding the stick) might of aided the gesture.

    your hand drawings are fine as is the gorilla.

    The horse looks a little weak. I understand this is more of a movement study than a full piece, but the legs feel off and its entire sense gravity seems a touch off balance. This might be because of how the head is tilted in contrast to the body.

    I like your life drawings. though for a portfolio, I'd expect something a bit more refined but they did specify to "show construction" so I don't know.

    Everything else looks fine to me. Your room drawings are especially well done.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeel For This Useful Post:


  30. #5906
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    113
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BeenaMistry View Post
    Michelle Soong and you live in Mississauga? I think we have some mutual friends! Your name is very familiar, I might have seen it on Facebook a few times.
    Back on topic, I really like your hand drawings! The structure appeals to me a lot.

    Andrew Sonea Do you suppose you could give me critique as well? I applied for Illustration. (don't feel obligated to, I don't want to waste your time if you're busy)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=2523f4f7a3

    Yep! Mississauga!
    Your name is super familiar too LOL. Are you the one who drew Anna's cat?! I saw it on my feed on Facebook once, haha.

    Thanks for looking at my portfolio~ ;-; I love the designs and details you use for your portfolio. I think it's the personal work? It's super fun.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  31. #5907
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oakville/ Ottawa
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Nicnak044:

    Both Andrew and I pointed out weaknesses in your grasp of perspective in your room drawings. Both times, you replied that this was due to the fact that you couldn't use a ruler. I just thought I'd explain that while I understand a ruler would have helped keep the lines straight, it wouldn't have made as much of a difference as you think. You should be able to see and fix the mistakes that you've made even without a ruler. It's a matter of seeing and understanding the concept of perspective. If you don't believe me, you should try to draw a room with the help of a ruler. You'll see that the same fundamental mistakes will still be present.

    I can see that you tried to make some construction lines in the blue pencil. However, a lot of them don't make any sense and it seems like you added them to show some kind of "process" or "structure" because you think that's what the professors want to see. For example, you drew an X on the TV and the cabinets, but they don't even reach from corner to corner of the boxes. It shows that you don't really understand what the construction lines are for in the first place.. I think that only highlights your weaknesses more in the eyes of the people who reviewed your portfolio.

    Sorry if this comes across harsh, but I just wanted to clear up your misconception that your mistakes are the result of not using a ruler.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to J. Cui For This Useful Post:


  33. #5908
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    286
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Cui View Post
    Nicnak044:

    Both Andrew and I pointed out weaknesses in your grasp of perspective in your room drawings. Both times, you replied that this was due to the fact that you couldn't use a ruler. I just thought I'd explain that while I understand a ruler would have helped keep the lines straight, it wouldn't have made as much of a difference as you think. You should be able to see and fix the mistakes that you've made even without a ruler. It's a matter of seeing and understanding the concept of perspective. If you don't believe me, you should try to draw a room with the help of a ruler. You'll see that the same fundamental mistakes will still be present.

    I can see that you tried to make some construction lines in the blue pencil. However, a lot of them don't make any sense and it seems like you added them to show some kind of "process" or "structure" because you think that's what the professors want to see. For example, you drew an X on the TV and the cabinets, but they don't even reach from corner to corner of the boxes. It shows that you don't really understand what the construction lines are for in the first place.. I think that only highlights your weaknesses more in the eyes of the people who reviewed your portfolio.

    Sorry if this comes across harsh, but I just wanted to clear up your misconception that your mistakes are the result of not using a ruler.
    I dont find that to be harsh at all. I was hoping to get some understanding as to what happened here aha. I've always struggled when it comes to perspective in room drawings; it's one of the things I really plan on focusing on this summer (: and like I said before, rushing that one specific drawing didn't help at all xD

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  34. #5909
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by HocusPocus View Post
    Sooo... are you done with 'Art' Schools?
    (i believe some people dont even need to be in Art school to be successful either)....btw what do you want to do career-wise anyway?
    What are planning to do in September?
    Are you planning to return to school at all? for something else? and do your Art on your own?
    Yeah done with school after this year. I plan on working and studying art on my own...I'm gonna try to move down to Toronto next year to keep seeing my girlfriend who goes to U of T. Career wise I am interested in doing book covers in the fantasy and science fiction genres.




    BeenaMistry:
    Seated Figure: Not bad, but a bit messy looking. Be careful with your shading on two counts. First, the line direction. Since you are not spending a long time to shade carefully so that no lines are visible, you need to take into consideration that there are lines present in your shading. This isn't a big deal, unless the lines contradict what the form should be. You should try to draw the lines so that they wrap around the form to further emphasize it. Secondly, the values you are putting are more about local value (black pants vs light boots) than actual form shading (where pants are hit by light vs where they are in shade). You can make it clearer how things are lit--you didn't include core shadows or analyze the values that carefully.

    Standing figure: The same applies as what I just said above. Also the foreshortening on the arms can use a bit of work.

    Everyday figure: Same as above. Other than that just pay close attention to the facial proportions. Nose is a bit big and mouth/chin a bit small.

    Pen: Interesting. You can try to get more variation in the values though as a lot of it reads as a middle sort of value.

    Window: Unfortunately I think this is weaker than the previous drawings. It appears very flat, which defeats the goal of the assignment. There isn't a lot of sense of depth for a few reasons. The values are all uniform throughout and regardless of how close it is to us (so no aerial perspective). The window is drawn straight on so there is no chance to show and linear perspective (and there are no buildings outside for that either). You have also rendered everything to the same degree--usually you will keep things in the distance less detailed and softer looking.

    Still life and still life with change: The changes you made were not the most interesting...you could have done something more extreme (then again, many people who get into the program did pretty much the same as you, myself included). You need to use your shading on these to really push the forms more. The perspective on the ellipses for the coffee cup are also a little wonky.
    These would be better if you spent a bit longer on them.

    Architecus Pacis: I like this. The main problem I have is the words are awkwardly placed and go over the face a bit.

    Isle of Apple: I'm not that big a fan of this. I don't really like this style though usually. I also don't understand what it is.

    Sleeping angel: This could be improved if you used a little more reference on things like the wings.

    Feet: Same comments as I've said with all your drawings.

    The three life drawings: In addition to what I've said about your shading, your proportions seem a little off too. If you are going to put an outline around the whole figure like that, don't put it so strong and uniform. Vary the line thickness and line value.

    Sana: There are some cool textures you are getting in there, and it gives this a nice feel. Be aware though of the body that is beneath the clothes as you draw.

    Hands: The second one is better than the first. Both though can use a bit of knowledge of the bones and muscles that lie beneath. It's good that you didn't go overboard on the wrinkles as a lot of people do.

    And so it goes: Not bad. It's simple and clean, which works well. You can use more colour variation though. For example, each book is a solid single colour. On the red book for example it transitions from light to dark on it, yet stays the same red. If you changed it so that there was a very slight colour shift as well it would be more interesting.

    time window: there are some awkward tangents. And the perspective on the mirror can be double checked.

    kitchen: same comments as all other drawings.



    Overall it's an alright portfolio. Your drawing skills are alright (as in you can draw things in the right place and of the right shape), but your shading and values can use some real work to help convey objects in space. I feel a few of the drawings were a bit rushed too, and if you took your time could have been better.

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:


  36. #5910
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,881
    Thanks
    1,455
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicnak044 View Post
    I dont find that to be harsh at all. I was hoping to get some understanding as to what happened here aha. I've always struggled when it comes to perspective in room drawings; it's one of the things I really plan on focusing on this summer (: and like I said before, rushing that one specific drawing didn't help at all xD
    J. Cui is absolutely right about the ruler. You could still have a good drawing without one. It doesn't look like you put in a horizon line for starters, and that is the most important thing when it comes to perspective. You can also put in the vanishing points without a ruler, and sort get things to go as close as you can eyeball them to those points. It won't be perfect, but you should be able to get it to be close enough without a ruler that someone probably couldn't tell. As was pointed out earlier as well, you use some construction lines such as the X's through rectangles...but all that does is find the centerpoint, which you didn't even use! You also can be careful to make suer the verticals are actually drawn vertical in all places, such as the TV and TV stand or the sofa.

    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

    "Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

    "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:


Members who have read this thread: 28

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •